You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Never ending story

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,038
    edited January 2022
    HAYSIE said:

I can see why some people may think that the unvaccinated should receive less sick pay.
    Apparently, in Singapore they have to pay for their own covid related medical treatment.
    I am not arguing in favour of either, but can see why some people may think that both cases are self inflicted.
    I think the problem with trying to move unvaccinated staff to safer areas of hospitals, is that hospitals are populated by many older and more vulnerable patients.
    It is clear that sacking unvaccinated staff will only exacerbate staff shortages, and affect the care that they will be able to provide.
    Many people resent the unvaccinated, and think their excuses are bs.
    I think that the people that are least able to justify remaining unvaccinated, are NHS staff.
    "First do no harm".

As can I. But, and for me, it is a massive but, where do you draw the line. Because everyone is comfortable in making exceptions in such cases. Until it affects them.

Smoker? Ex-smoker? Overweight? Didn't have the flu jab? Drink too much?

Then you get to the legal implications. So-people who choose to be unvaccinated are more likely to be from certain ethnic minorities. Want to spend money on sick pay? Or making Lawyers richer? If you are an employer-want to fill in 1 form to protect all your employees? Or 1 taking into account every individual's risk factors, even though they could be wrong by tomorrow?

Want to place people in a position where their choices are to come into work with Covid or starve?

I am perfectly happy to try and show the unvaccinated why it is in their interest to get a vaccine.

I just don't want to live in a Society where people are treated like they are 2nd class citizens.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,524
    Has anyone asked the 5 Million what their reason is to not be Vaccinated, not just assume it's because they think they have natural immunity.
    Surely there are many reasons ranging from fear of needles to can't be bothered don't trust the Vaccine for not complying.
    They're all making their own decision after being bombarded with Facts or fiction to decide what's best for them.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

I can see why some people may think that the unvaccinated should receive less sick pay.
    Apparently, in Singapore they have to pay for their own covid related medical treatment.
    I am not arguing in favour of either, but can see why some people may think that both cases are self inflicted.
    I think the problem with trying to move unvaccinated staff to safer areas of hospitals, is that hospitals are populated by many older and more vulnerable patients.
    It is clear that sacking unvaccinated staff will only exacerbate staff shortages, and affect the care that they will be able to provide.

I think that the people that are least able to justify remaining unvaccinated, are NHS staff.
    "First do no harm".

This is, of course, relevant. But in all life there is risk. And it is in the very nature of the NHS to try and prioritise and minimise risk.

An old person in hospital will be at greater risk than a younger person. But not as great as someone in intensive care. Or with Stage 4 cancer. You cannot remove risk. But you can seek to minimise risk with what you have.

Everyone always focuses on the Doctors, the Nurses. What about where you place the hundreds of thousands of Support/Admin staff?
  • Options
    goldon said:

Has anyone asked the 5 Million what their reason is to not be Vaccinated, not just assume it's because they think they have natural immunity.
    Surely there are many reasons ranging from fear of needles to can't be bothered don't trust the Vaccine for not complying.
    They're all making their own decision after being bombarded with Facts or fiction to decide what's best for them.

A really good point.

The ones that make the noise? They tend to have an Agenda.

But there are a lot of people who have totally different reasons. Fear of needles, agoraphobics, people whose natural inclination is always to do nothing, people who place an enormous weight on going to a spot to have a jab where they will place themselves at a level of risk.

Just to take 1 of these. I have an irrational fear of needles. Always have had. I know it is irrational. Doesn't stop it being a very real fear. The solution-for me and many others-is this. Tell the screening staff. Say you will need to be reassured, and reminded to relax. And that, no, it won't help to be able to look at the needle. Say that you would like to be taken to the area that is screened, because you don't want to scare others.

It is still not wonderful. But it is a whole lot less scary.
  • Options
    I remember at School we would keep going to the back of the queue or ask to go to the loo, play hooky on vax day but when it came on sugar lump no problem.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,265
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

As can I. But, and for me, it is a massive but, where do you draw the line. Because everyone is comfortable in making exceptions in such cases. Until it affects them.

Then you get to the legal implications. So-people who choose to be unvaccinated are more likely to be from certain ethnic minorities. Want to spend money on sick pay? Or making Lawyers richer? If you are an employer-want to fill in 1 form to protect all your employees? Or 1 taking into account every individual's risk factors, even though they could be wrong by tomorrow?

Want to place people in a position where their choices are to come into work with Covid or starve?

I am perfectly happy to try and show the unvaccinated why it is in their interest to get a vaccine.

I just don't want to live in a Society where people are treated like they are 2nd class citizens.
    I can also see the other side of the coin where employers may be unable to meet their production targets, and lose customers, due to unvaccinated staff being off sick.
    Or unable to open their pub or reataurant due to the same thing.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

This is, of course, relevant. But in all life there is risk. And it is in the very nature of the NHS to try and prioritise and minimise risk.

An old person in hospital will be at greater risk than a younger person. But not as great as someone in intensive care. Or with Stage 4 cancer. You cannot remove risk. But you can seek to minimise risk with what you have.

Everyone always focuses on the Doctors, the Nurses. What about where you place the hundreds of thousands of Support/Admin staff?
    I think it impossible to justify just one death brought about by an unvaccinated doctor treating a vulnerable patient in a non covid ward.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

If you had an elderly vulnerable family member in hospital, would you prefer them to be treated by vaccinated doctors and nurses, or wouldnt you care?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

Because they dont regularly come into as close a contact with the patients as doctors and nurses do.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

How many people do you think have died from covid after contracting it from the unvaccinated?
  • Options
    goldon said:

I think their reasons would be more relevant, if they were only able to kill themselves.
    Unfortunately this is not the case.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

Is there really anyone that has never had an injection?
    In my day at school, I was never told they werent compulsory.
    You just took your turn, and got vaccinated.
    Does anyone sit in a dentists chair and say, go on rip that tooth out of my gum, and I dont want an injection?
    Or allow a dentist to drill holes in a tooth for half an hour without one?
    Have an operation without an anaesthetic?
    Or demand to know what in it, before proceeding?
    Set a broken leg etc. etc?
    If you are out cold and need an injection, before life saving treatment can begin, you just get it.
    No time to Google obscure websites to find out what they think of Dr Fauci.
    Turn down an adrenaline injection if your heart was stopped?
    I could go on and on.................
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

I can also see the other side of the coin where employers may be unable to meet their production targets, and lose customers, due to unvaccinated staff being off sick.
    Or unable to open their pub or reataurant due to the same thing.
    Where is the scientific basis to show that being unvaccinated is the only condition that is important?

Vaccination for Covid has a relatively short time frame. There are a wealth of Stats that show, for example, smokers have at least 50% more sickness days than non-smokers. And that was before Covid-which is, you will recall, a lung condition?

18 months ago there was no vaccination. In the last 3 months the importance of being unvaccinated for the fully vaccinated has reduced dramatically. Show me the stats that show NHS absenteeism has skyrocketed primarily due to people being unvaccinated. If it is so vital, why is the cut-off date for NHS vaccination still months away?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

I think their reasons would be more relevant, if they were only able to kill themselves.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

result for probability theory

probability theory, a branch of mathematics concerned with the analysis of random phenomena. The outcome of a random event cannot be determined before it occurs, but it may be any one of several possible outcomes. The actual outcome is considered to be determined by chance.

By chance you know the out come for which group vac'd un-vac'd kill the most in the future. no guesses please.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

I think it impossible to justify just one death brought about by an unvaccinated doctor treating a vulnerable patient in a non covid ward.
    On the contrary. It is very easy.

The starting point is always that, whatever you do, people are going to die. To give the current example:-

Will more people die if:-

(1) you stop all unvaccinated from being in any hospital?
    (2) You dismiss between 5-10% of staff, whereby there will be 2 effects
    (a) there will be less staff; and
    (b) The staff you have got will be both overworked and less qualified than before

Because it is not as simple as your 1 person dying. It is far more a question of trying to create a work environment where as few people as possible die.

My nearest major Hospital (Colchester) has this week sent an email to all staff. Promising that they appreciate that all staff are overworked. And placing in writing that no employee will be punished or held accountable for mistakes made due to overwork.

You think that is not more significant than 1 death?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

How many people do you think have died from covid after contracting it from the unvaccinated?
    No idea. I do know this:-

1. The risk is less under Omicron than previous variants. The risk has changed. The risk profile for the NHS has not
    2. The risk is associated with getting Covid. Not someone's vaccination status unless we are talking about the person who has Covid.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Of course it is relevant.
    I don't want anyone dying. Including those who disagree with me.
    How do you reduce the number or try and educate people without knowing their reasoning?

Come on. You are better than that.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

"First do no harm".

If you had an elderly vulnerable family member in hospital, would you prefer them to be treated by vaccinated doctors and nurses, or wouldnt you care?
    I do. And I do care.

I want them to be treated by the people who overall have the best chance of keeping her alive.

Not just taking 1 relevant factor to the exclusion of all others.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Of course it is relevant.
    I don't want anyone dying. Including those who disagree with me.
    How do you reduce the number or try and educate people without knowing their reasoning?

Come on. You are better than that.
    What I mean is that if you or a family member died from covid after contracting from an unvaccinated person, the reason for them refusing the vaccine probably wouldnt matter to you or your family.
    However I do agree that you usually get more from people by persuading them, rather than compulsion.
    I used to be a salesperson.

Although the antivaxxers seem persuaded by the most unbelievable of reasons.
    This makes persuasion extremely difficult.