You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Strikes.

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
    Unite members accept pay offer and call off planned rail strike action

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/unite-members-accept-pay-offer-150536962.html
    Ambulance strike called off as union members accept pay deal

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ambulance-strike-called-off-union-152650572.html
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    The thing that bothers me is all the strikes been bundled into one.

So if I am against the Rail strike this means I am assumed to be against the Nurse strike or the postal Strike or the teachers strike etc.

The Rail Unions have turned down what is effectively better then a 10% raise.

%5 back dated for the year and 4% for the year coming up. This is when they strike literally every year. So if the government and Rail companies gave in completely to their demands This year they would strike next year.

They are already grossly over paid.

there should be a balance for striking, eg if me and some colleagues got together and refused to come into work until we were paid 20% more we would be fired and quite frankly rightly so.

However their is a cost on the other side that is they now need to replace us. It is usually very rare for a single worker to be indispensable I am sure people could find isolated cases but it is rare.

However a group of workers replacing all or a significant part of the staff at once could be a real head ache.

there is meant to be a balance where by if the union is unreasonable the company can decide its not worth it sack the lot of them and replace them. However if their demands are reasonable its a lot more costly then its worth to get rid of them.

However in the current situation the rail workers can strike get paid time of whilst they strike and have absolutely zero threat to their jobs.

Heck they basically get free holiday time for striking so why not always strike and they already get ridiculous salary and holiday time.

And they literally want to see people lose their jobs livelihoods and literally die in the cold for them to get a few extra thousand on top.

utter utter utter scum.

Please do not put the rail scum in the same category as the nurses.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,728
    Doubleme said:

So if I am against the Rail strike this means I am assumed to be against the Nurse strike or the postal Strike or the teachers strike etc.

%5 back dated for the year and 4% for the year coming up. This is when they strike literally every year. So if the government and Rail companies gave in completely to their demands This year they would strike next year.

there should be a balance for striking, eg if me and some colleagues got together and refused to come into work until we were paid 20% more we would be fired and quite frankly rightly so.

However their is a cost on the other side that is they now need to replace us. It is usually very rare for a single worker to be indispensable I am sure people could find isolated cases but it is rare.

However a group of workers replacing all or a significant part of the staff at once could be a real head ache.

there is meant to be a balance where by if the union is unreasonable the company can decide its not worth it sack the lot of them and replace them. However if their demands are reasonable its a lot more costly then its worth to get rid of them.

However in the current situation the rail workers can strike get paid time of whilst they strike and have absolutely zero threat to their jobs.

Heck they basically get free holiday time for striking so why not always strike and they already get ridiculous salary and holiday time.

And they literally want to see people lose their jobs livelihoods and literally die in the cold for them to get a few extra thousand on top.

utter utter utter scum.

What World Do You Live In ?
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    lucy4 said,

lucy4 said:

Doubleme said:

utter utter utter scum.

Definitely a parallel universe.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    If they're striking to get pay in line with rising inflation, will they agree to a pay cut when inflation comes down?
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    Tell it Like it is....... on prime time TV
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    I think a few things are getting a bit confused.

Firstly rather oddly I actually have benefited from the strikes and will continue to do so. I was able to work from home today instead of having to spend 3 hours commuting I hate the cold at this time of year and I would rather save that commute time.

I found cheaper more convenient way to work by been forced to look for other options, and today I was able to sleep into 8am!!!!! when previously I had to be waking up at 6.30am!!!

tomorrow due to reduced service I can wake up half an hour later for a train that would never run at that time. I win from this.

So people thinking that I am just been petty in disliking the rail strikers because it goes against my interest no actually it works well for me.

I just disagree with them on principle and do not support the argument behind their strike.

I do support the nurse strike why are we throwing the nurses in with the rail union scum?

• HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,183
    VespaPX said:

If they're striking to get pay in line with rising inflation, will they agree to a pay cut when inflation comes down?

Tell us you're stupid without telling us you're stupid
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,183
    Doubleme said:

I think a few things are getting a bit confused.

Firstly rather oddly I actually have benefited from the strikes and will continue to do so. I was able to work from home today instead of having to spend 3 hours commuting I hate the cold at this time of year and I would rather save that commute time.

I found cheaper more convenient way to work by been forced to look for other options, and today I was able to sleep into 8am!!!!! when previously I had to be waking up at 6.30am!!!

tomorrow due to reduced service I can wake up half an hour later for a train that would never run at that time. I win from this.

So people thinking that I am just been petty in disliking the rail strikers because it goes against my interest no actually it works well for me.

I just disagree with them on principle and do not support the argument behind their strike.

I do support the nurse strike why are we throwing the nurses in with the rail union scum?

I think you need to speak to someone
    lucy4 said:

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    One out, all out