You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Anything World Cup Related

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,033
  • Options
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    edited December 2022
    You've got to laugh at the English press, at first it was: we were so unlucky, the ref robbed us, you've got to feel sorry for Harry, blab blah blah, now the tacky bits are oot and they're startin to put the bit in.
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

You've laugh at the English press, at first it was: we were so unlucky, the ref robbed us, you've got to feel sorry for Harry, blab blah blah, now the tacky bits are oot and they're startin to put the bit in.

The way I see it is Win,Lose or Draw there's always a bit of humour to be had.
  • Options
    Ah agree with you, ah always have a great laugh when England lose :) .
  • Options
    Firm left with 18,000 England 'World Cup winners' T-shirts after gamble backfires.

A businessman has been left with 18,000 useless T-shirts which wrongly herald England as World Cup champions.

Football fan Karl Baxter was so convinced the Three Lions were going to return home as winners that he had the tops printed ahead of the quarter-finals.

Sprawled across the back of the shirts are the slogans 'England, Cup Winners 2022, It's Finally Home' and 'The Day It Came Home'.

But the gamble didn't pay off, with Gareth Southgate's side losing 2-1 to France in their quarter-final match on Saturday after Harry Kane missed the chance to score an equalising penalty.

"We had a load of blank football shirts that we bought a couple of years ago, which we had not done a great deal with, so I decided to take a gamble on the crest of the wave England were riding and get some shirts printed in anticipation of success," Mr Baxter, 46, told Sky News.

"Well over and above the shirts we have, as an England fan I am absolutely gutted we went out in the way we did," the managing director of Poole-based Wholesale Clearance UK said.

'Wear it with pride... or clean your windows'

In a message to customers on the website, Mr Baxter wrote: "We have reduced the price of these unique items as we certainly won't be getting any more.

"So wear it with pride, add it to your collection, use it to clean the windows...we don't know."

The father-of-three added that while the cost of making the shirts wasn't too expensive, and he has already sold a few, there are still "some more to get rid of".

"As they are England cup winners' shirts, we can always try to sell them not only as the cup that never was…but as celebrating the only actual English winners of a cup in 2022, our fantastic England ladies team," he said.

Asked if he had a message for England fans, Mr Baxter simply replied: "There's always the Euros."

The shirts were due to retail for £29.99, but are now being sold for £9.99.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    rabdeniro said:

Ah agree with you, ah always have a great laugh when England lose :) .

Whereas there is always Scotland.

Knocked out by the team, that was knocked out by the team, that was gubbed by Iran :)
    Did manage to beat the Faeroe Isles 1-0, mind.

I wish Scotland would concentrate more on being pro-Scots, rather than anti-English.
    And have Celtic & Rangers picking more than about 4 Scottish players between them would help.
  • Options
    Were pish, we know were pish that's the difference, England for a country of it's size are pish, for a so called top nation what have they ever won, oh I forgot a dodgy WC sixty year ago, FIFA couldn't have set it up more for them.
    The problem Rangers and that other mob have is any decent home grown players they have are cherry picked by English clubs ( Rangers have done it to teams up here for years ).
    It wasn't so long a ago that most top English teams when they were ruling Europe relied on Scottish players.
    Almost forgot this ...

https://youtu.be/U4ESTvxyqsI :)
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    edited December 2022
    I've been hearing this "we're only a little country" bit all my life. 2 points to make:-

1. Scotland has a population about the same as Denmark. Way bigger than Croatia (who are in the semi-finals) or Uruguay (who have won it twice)

2. Scotland has a selection pool to choose from that is way bigger than the 5-6 million born there. Since 1970, only needed a Scottish parent, and subsequently changed again to include a Scottish Grandparent or if educated for 5 years in Scotland. Scottish-born people spread all around the World over the last Century. You have about 20-30 million qualified "Scots". Not just from yesteryear, either-recent squads include the likes of the English-born Che Adams, Liam Cooper, Scott McTominay, the Isle of Man's Kieran Tierney, the Australian Lyndon Dykes.

"For our size" we do about as we should (which is, of course, not as well as people who think inventing something gives us some sort of divine right). We have a habit of losing in the quarter-finals, placing us 5th-8th.

I well remember the really good Scottish teams of the 70s/80s. Now? As you say-pish.

Perhaps if Scotland stopped hiding behind England's "failures" it might spend some time working out what has gone wrong. And concentrate more on Scotland.
  • Options
    If we have a pool selection of say 30 million what about England ?.
    A lot of England born players only pick Scotland because England don't want them.
    The problem we have is a cultural thing, in the 60s and 70s and maybe early 80s yer auld dad would stoat in fae the pubs most days and the first thing you would do is grab a baw and bolt oot the door and not come back in until he sobered up.
    In the 00s the drinking culture has completely changed more civilized shall we say and kids just sit in their room with headphone on, up to no good with the door bolted.
    I must admit ah do enjoy England's failures.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kinda6677Kinda6677 Member Posts: 275
    Joey Barton should stick to league 1. The league hes very fortunate to be in
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,275
    So none of the ITV commentary team thought the first penalty should have been a penalty? Surely it's always been that if the keeper comes for the ball he has to get it otherwise he risks giving a penalty?
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,026
    Nope i think it would be exactly the same size.

• Options
    England fans forced to choose between two “ancient rivalries” that the other sides could not give a toss about.

The world cup final between France and Argentina has left English football fans hesitant over who to cheer for as both teams represented significant historical and emotional antagonism for the English that their counterparts are blissfully unaware of.

While fat men with George crosses in their social media profiles argued over who they hated most, in Buenos Aires, resident Jimon Guillermos confirmed that no one in his nation has seen England as a serious rival for decades.

He told us, “Are you guys still harping on about the Maradona hand thing? You know he’s dead, right? The truth is that we don’t give you lot much thought. Being South American, our big football rival is Brazil.

“As for the chants, why would you evoke the Malvinas war during a football match? It’s a sport and has nothing to do with a tragic war which cost thousands of lives. You guys really need more hobbies. Try tango dancing.”

In Paris, municipal employee Simon Guillaumes took the time to answer questions about France and England’s historical enmity despite being hoarse from the previous night’s cheering.

He said, “Our ancient what? Sorry, but why do you think we care about a national team who hasn’t been in a World Cup final for two generations?

“Yes, I saw that weird billboard on the Champs Elysees of England players saying French words. We all thought it was an advert for Duolinguo. Was that supposed to antagonise us? You poor things.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to decide who to invite to my World Cup final dinner party. Yes, it’s a thing, but don’t worry, it’s not something you’ll ever have to concern yourself about.”
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    lucy4 said:

England fans forced to choose between two “ancient rivalries” that the other sides could not give a toss about.

The world cup final between France and Argentina has left English football fans hesitant over who to cheer for as both teams represented significant historical and emotional antagonism for the English that their counterparts are blissfully unaware of.

While fat men with George crosses in their social media profiles argued over who they hated most, in Buenos Aires, resident Jimon Guillermos confirmed that no one in his nation has seen England as a serious rival for decades.

He told us, “Are you guys still harping on about the Maradona hand thing? You know he’s dead, right? The truth is that we don’t give you lot much thought. Being South American, our big football rival is Brazil.

As for the chants, why would you evoke the Malvinas war during a football match? It’s a sport and has nothing to do with a tragic war which cost thousands of lives. You guys really need more hobbies. Try tango dancing.”

In Paris, municipal employee Simon Guillaumes took the time to answer questions about France and England’s historical enmity despite being hoarse from the previous night’s cheering.

He said, “Our ancient what? Sorry, but why do you think we care about a national team who hasn’t been in a World Cup final for two generations?

“Yes, I saw that weird billboard on the Champs Elysees of England players saying French words. We all thought it was an advert for Duolinguo. Was that supposed to antagonise us? You poor things.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to decide who to invite to my World Cup final dinner party. Yes, it’s a thing, but don’t worry, it’s not something you’ll ever have to concern yourself about.”

So the Argies don't evoke the Falklands and think we're a nothing nation
    Here you go , this is from the other night where they sang a song about the Falklands and **** the English etc etc
    It's alright singing it in a warm dressing room amongst themselves, but can they do it on a cold windswept island in the south Atlantic ;)
  • Options
    Roy Keane reveals who he's supporting in the final Oh La La Roy.

• Options
  • Options
    Qatar to host Christmas 2023 in June.

AFTER hosting the 2022 World Cup, Qatar has made a successful bid to host Christmas 2023 and move the festive season to June.

The decision has surprised many, as the Muslim country is not usually associated with celebrating the birth of Jesus, and much of the food and drink usually consumed at Christmas, such as pigs-in-blankets and alcohol, is haram.

A Qatari spokesman said: “We are proud and excited to host the season of goodwill to all men. And that means men, not women, trans people or homosexuals.

“And while it’s true that traditional Christmas drinks like sherry, wine, brandy and eggnog will be strictly forbidden, we are offering 0% Budweiser at £12 a bottle to help people get into the spirit.”

Father Christmas, who has been given £150 million to become Goodwill Ambassador for Qatar Christmas 2023, released a statement saying: “Make sure you’re on your best behaviour so you get your Christmas presents. Remember, Santa knows if you’ve been a dirty gay!”

While many people say they will boycott such a morally compromised Christmas, fan Tom Logan said: “Not taking part would be performative liberal nonsense, so I say: f**k it, let’s enjoy the sun and build a sandman!”
  • Options
    Great quote from Ally Mccoist describing Kylian Mbappé's third goal, the first player to score a hat trick in a world cup final where all 3 goals have been over the line :D