You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Anything World Cup Related

Comments

• Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    The best thing for me so far in this WC is the refs actually play the right injury/ extra time, yet some of the pundits/ex players are against it.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,819

@rabdeniro

+1

Eventually, the players will realise that it's self-defeating to waste time. It'll take a while for the penny to drop though.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,064
  • Options

oof
  • Options
    Japan fans under the German flag after their win.

• Options
    Don't know how accurate this is but it could be a commentators nightmare.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,058
    Not all the best players are at the World Cup. Italy are not there, for a start. But many other nations have great players, too. Here is a Premier League 11. Probably not the best 11, but shows how many players aren't there simply because their country did not qualify. I think this team could go far if it were at the World Cup.

Bazunu (Southampton/Ire); Coufal (West Ham/Czechia), Lindelof (Man U/Swe), Evans (Leic/NI), Robertson (Liv/Scot);
    Odegaard (Arsenal/Norway), Jorginho (Chelsea/Italy), Almiron (Newc/Paraguay);
    Kulusevski (Tott/Swe), Haaland (Man C/Norway), Salah (Liv/Egypt)

It's a bit like England. World class in lots of positions, but Central Defence looks iffy :)
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,330
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
    I hear the USA are fielding 6 strikers against England.
    They do like mass shootings.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,330
    'Loser keeps James Corden': England taunts America ahead of clash tonight - as social media jokes game will be renamed SOCCER if US win

With both sides still battling to make the knockout stages, there's plenty at stake for England's clash against the USA tonight. But social media users believe it's also the perfect chance to solve two hot button issues: which country gets to keep James Corden... and whether the beautiful game should be known as football or soccer. 'England vs USA - loser gets to keep James Corden,' one Twitter user joked. 'The whole world will eventually call it soccer after tonight's USA win against England,' another cheeky American fan added.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11468931/Loser-keeps-James-Corden-England-taunts-America-ahead-clash-tonight.html
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    I think Rob Page has been caught out at this World Cup.
    His team selection in the first game was wrong, and it took him 45minutes to rectify it.
    Today I think he bottled the tough decisions all true managers or leaders have to take, the difficult, possibly unpopular ones.
    Wales have basically played two games now with ten men and a passenger, Bale, a thoroughbred in his day, more one of those broken down work donkeys, you see in those charity commercials, really should have been on the bench today. You could argue it was his nouse that won the penalty for the equaliser against the USA, but he was a shadow of the player he once was.
    Page should have given him a rest, in the hope he could produce an “ El Cid “ moment against England next week. Ramsay also looks as though this tournament was akin to Arnhem .
    The younger players are talented and at least fit enough to run around. The loss of the lad Brooks , a really good creative midfielder, due to his recovery fro cancer , didn’t help.
    It was however, a great achievement to reach the finals .
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,171
    WALES played like ENGLAND used to ...... can't keep hold of the ball for more than 20 seconds .....and just keep hoofing it up the field in the hope of a mistake from the opposition's defence.

Agree with you regarding Bale too Nic @pompeynic :)
  • Options

@pompeynic

!00% agree with that Nick. Bale is way past his sell-by date I'm afraid.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,639
    I got reminded of this earlier in the week
    https://youtu.be/Gg_gs0vrmG0

So now i think of this

• Options
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,058
    Football is all about opinions.

I will always respect any opinion held by @pompeynic But, on this occasion, I only agree with half of his earlier post.

Bale is, sadly, a shadow of the player he once was. That is without question. Happens to every player, but it happened rather earlier for Bale.

Where I disagree is in relation to the Manager, Rob Page. The sad fact is that 3-5 years ago, Wales had a top quality squad, with a sprinkling of world class players. Now, due to age, injury, or loss of form that squad is nothing like as good. Most of that squad aren't household names in their own household.

That's why a half fit, aging Joe Allen was still a better bet than players from Swindon, Portsmouth or MK Dons, none of whom are first on the team sheet even at those clubs.

Wales are likely to struggle for the next few years. That happens periodically at countries with smaller populations. But, like say Scotland or Ireland, there will be a resurgence in due course. And I don't think it will be another 64 years til they qualify for another World Cup.