You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Rishi Sunak registered with private GP

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,534
    MISTY4ME said:

I did read the article, and i don't see why it matters whether he has Private Health Care that he can afford.

I don't know why you put so many articles from newspapers on the Forum, when a lot of them say the same thing. There is a saying ....'Less is More'

.... or are you trying to beat @Tikay in the number of forum posts you make? :)

Then you would have known that the article was probably prompted by his refusal to disclose whether or not he had private healthcare.

• Options
    MISTY4ME said:

I did read the article, and i don't see why it matters whether he has Private Health Care that he can afford.

I don't know why you put so many articles from newspapers on the Forum, when a lot of them say the same thing. There is a saying ....'Less is More'

Well if thats the case, I am not going to explain it to you.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Could you find 2, and point them out to me.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Paul Evans, director of the NHS Support Federation, told The Guardian: “Private healthcare is not a realistic option for most people.

Of course the PM can ‘go private’ if he wishes, but it is a reminder that we need politicians that have a long-term belief in the publicly run NHS which most of us rely upon.”

Don't you think that he has that long-term belief for the majority of the country?
    just because he chooses to have Private Health Care because he can afford it.

The NHS might do a lot better if people who could afford to pay to be seen quicker, did so.

I think it would be far better for the Newspapers to investigate and publish the amount of waste within the NHS. That's what needs to be sorted as soon as possible in my opinion ...... rather than bother whether a very rich man goes Private for his health care, even if he is Prime Minister

Rishi Sunak’s problem isn’t that he’s paying for healthcare
    It’s that 12 years of Tory government have made it necessary.

The first thing to say about the news that Rishi Sunak is registered with a private GP practice is that this might actually be the least shocking thing to happen in British politics this year. With a fortune, along with his wife, estimated at £730m, Sunak is one of the richest men ever to serve as prime minister. And for all the metropolitan liberal vibes that seem, strangely, to attach to the man, he’s been incredibly consistent in his support for right-wing economic ideas like a small state, individual responsibility and rich people being better than the rest of us.

So what did you expect? Of course he’s not ringing his NHS GP practice at 8.01am on a Tuesday like the rest of us, hoping against hope there’s a slot in the next fortnight to talk about that cough. What’s next? “Exclusive: Papal religion mystery solved”? “Arboreal ursine defecation sites located after decades-long search”?

That this was predictable, though, doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem. For one thing, like the bacon sandwich photo which (unfairly) made Ed Miliband look weird, or the Downing Street parties which (entirely fairly) showed Boris Johnson as callous, it’s the sort of thing that could crystallise concerns that the voters already have. Like his inability to use a cash card, or the fact he had to borrow a car to fill with petrol because his own was too nice for the photographs, Sunak’s decision to avoid the NHS the rest of us use could easily become a symbol of just quite how far his lifestyle actually is from the electorate’s.

Then there’s the fact he is inevitably going to get questions about all this, and just as inevitably look peevish when he answers them. Having become chancellor because of Sajid Javid’s sudden resignation, and grown popular by handing out money, Sunak has only ever played politics on the lowest of difficulty settings. One of his biggest problems during last summer’s Conservative leadership campaign was his inability to hide his irritation whenever anyone asked him a question; that veered uncomfortably close to anger when the person asking was a woman. There must be a chance the next few days will produce a clip so bad it’ll be popping up in Labour ads from now until doomsday.

Perhaps the most damning thing about this story, though, is the detail in the Guardian‘s report of what Sunak’s private West London clinic actually offers. It promises evening or weekend appointments, true, but the real selling point is the guarantee that patients with urgent health concerns will be seen “on the day”, for the low, low price of £250 per half hour.

When the last Labour government left office in 2010, that was a level of service that we all expected, and if it wasn’t always honoured neither did it feel implausibly out of reach. Evening and weekend services were discussed, too, although the GP workforce not unreasonably pointed out that, if we wanted longer hours, the government would have to pay for them.

Now, though, waiting times run into weeks, rather than days, and if you want to be seen within hours your only option is to make like the Prime Minister and stump up the cash. The big problem for Sunak is not that he’s paying for healthcare. The problem is that 12 years of Tory government have made it necessary.

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfire/2022/11/rishi-sunak-problem-paying-healthcare
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

that sees urgent cases 'on the day' for £250

The Prime Minister uses a west London clinic that charges £250 for a half-hour appointment - and offers them at evenings and weekends, the Guardian revealed.

The surgery, which has not been named, also offers e-mail and phone consultations for £150, home visits for £400 to £500, and prescriptions for £80.

Downing Street declined to comment.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-registered-private-gp-28550128

AND ?

Why do you think that every paper has covered the story?
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

The Prime Minister uses a west London clinic that charges £250 for a half-hour appointment - and offers them at evenings and weekends, the Guardian revealed.

The surgery, which has not been named, also offers e-mail and phone consultations for £150, home visits for £400 to £500, and prescriptions for £80.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-registered-private-gp-28550128

AND ?

Because they've nothing better to write about. As you said, unless you're living in Cloud Cuckooland, you know someone of Rishi's wealth is going to use private healthcare if he wants to get seen quicker.

25p should probably have been 2.5p as a % of his wealth, though a lot of Rishi's wealth, is from his wife's family.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

You are in no position to criticise what anyone posts on the forum.
    You have the option to ignore any articles you dont approve of.
    I do .....the vast majority.

Look at the amount of views (and replies) a lot of the articles you post get to see how popular they are. That way you could cut the 'Wheat from the Chaff' Dave
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

AND ?

Because they've nothing better to write about. As you said, unless you're living in Cloud Cuckooland, you know someone of Rishi's wealth is going to use private healthcare if he wants to get seen quicker.

25p should probably have been 2.5p as a % of his wealth, though a lot of Rishi's wealth, is from his wife's family.
    How do you get to 2.5p then?
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

AND ?

Why do you think he refused to answer the question regarding private health care?
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Look at the amount of views (and replies) a lot of the articles you post get to see how popular they are. That way you could cut the 'Wheat from the Chaff' Dave
    I find it amusing when people that never start a thread offer advice regarding threads to those that do.
    If we had to rely on you for threads, there wouldnt be a forum.
    Dont even attempt to try to apply any logic to the most widely read threads.
    You only need to glance at the home page to realise that this is not possible.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

AND ?

Alternatively they might have thought there would be some interest in the story.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

AND ?

What percentage?
  • Options

Keep moving the decimal point to the left starting from £250.00 to show how that charge for him relates to how much the relevant value is to the 'Common Man'

I don't know how to put a post of yours from another thread onto this thread, but yesterday morning on the Brexit Blues thread, you posted the front page from three newspapers, the i, Daily Mail and Daily Express which all had a similar Headline, saying the same thing..... and there's a lot more examples of this on your BREXIT thread.

It doesn't quite rival Paul @misterpj for length, but it gets close.
  • Options
    Why do you think he refused to answer the question regarding private health care?

..... 'coz it doesn't matter
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162

"Don't you think that he has that long-term belief for the majority of the country? "

......You do realise we are talking about a tory here?.....

• Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

"Don't you think that he has that long-term belief for the majority of the country? "

......You do realise we are talking about a tory here?.....

Even the Tories have to try and appeal to the majority of the Electorate .....something that they seem to have forgotten how to do over the last two and a half years.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Keep moving the decimal point to the left starting from £250.00 to show how that charge for him relates to how much the relevant value is to the 'Common Man'

I don't know how to put a post of yours from another thread onto this thread, but yesterday morning on the Brexit Blues thread, you posted the front page from three newspapers, the i, Daily Mail and Daily Express which all had a similar Headline, saying the same thing..... and there's a lot more examples of this on your BREXIT thread.

I really would like to understand this.
    You have said that £250 to the PM, is equivalent to only 25p to the common man, whoever that is.
    You subsequently amended this to 2.5p, but presumably its the same common man, whoever that is.
    I understand moving the decimal point.
    You moved it three places, then four.
    I was quite clever in junior school, and understood stuff like moving decimal points.
    Like moving it one place, if you multiplied, or divided by ten, two places for a hundred, three for a thousand etc.
    What I dont understand is the method behind your calculation.
    How does £250 become 2.5p
    I understand that you have done this by moving the decimal point.
    But what is the basis of moving the decimal point each time?
    In order for £250 to become 2.5p, you have to divide by 10,000.
    Why 10,000?
    What is the thinking behind this.

Your comparison is between Rishi Sunak, and the common man.
    Who is the common man?
    Is it a single man, or could it be a family?
    You mentioned his wifes family.
    Is it someone on benefits?
    Or minimum wages?
    Baic rate taxpayer?
    Average earnings?
    Who is he?

Are you basing Rishi on his PM earnings?
    What about his other income?
    Savings?
    Including his wifes earnings?
    Her savings?

This all seems very confusing.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

I suppose you could, but only if you were telepathic, and could forecast the numbers before posting the thread.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

AND ?

So have you moved the decimal point one more place because a lot of his wealth is from his wifes family?
    If not, what is the connection between moving the decimal point, and his wifes family wealth?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MISTY4ME said:

Firstly, what you are referring to was one post.
    Secondly, I dont think the three of them could have similar headlines saying the same thing. They have to be one or the other. They are either similar, or the same.

One of them said,
    Tory MPs warn Sunak over "Swiss" deal with EU.
    The second,
    Dont betray us on Brexit.
    The third,
    Fury at "absurd idea" to go soft on Brexit.

I posted another two in one post yesterday, that were also the same,
    One said,
    Starmer, UK must wean itself off migrant labour.
    The other,
    Sunak warned over "fantasy" Brexit plan.

Of course they are all the same.
    Why dont you start a couple of threads, and see how popular they are, instead of just moaning about other peoples.