You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,368
    I'm sure I speak for most football fans when I say this.

Lots of us have opinions on the best way forward for our club. From Manager, to formation, to players that should be in & out. But we do all this largely for our own amusement, safe in the knowledge that our thoughts are largely irrelevant in the great scheme of things.

But 2 things really annoy me in this regard. In second place come pundits banging on about what should happen at my club. Take last night for example. But every fan, at every club, could say the same. So-Rio Ferdinand, Peter Crouch and Glenn Hoddle are all busy telling everyone how Spurs should be run.

That would be one of the best English defenders I have ever seen. Who almost certainly could have managed a top club. But never did. And never will. The extremely personable Crouch. Who has never managed anyone, although (again) he could have. And never will. And 1 of my heroes, Glenn Hoddle. Who last Managed a football club in 2006.

But 1 person annoyed me even more. Jermaine Jenas. A supposed summariser during the game last night. Who was so busy giving his us all his lengthy (and desperately dull) account of what Spurs were doing wrong, couldn't be ar5ed to actually commentate on the game. The thing he was being paid to do. Rather than his managerial "insights".

Rant over :)
  • Options
    On a lighter note, favourite football chant of the year, sung by Brentford at a recent West London Derby (to the tune of Knees Up, Mother Brown):-

"Bees Up, Fulham Down"
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Quick thought. Triggered by a picture on another thread.

The press and the pundits keep going on and on about Harry Kane should leave Spurs for his "legacy". I have no idea on whether he will or not-I wish him well either way.

I have seen very few genuinely world class, English, footballers in my time. Here are 4 of what is a fairly short list:-

Gordon Banks. Peter Shilton. Bobby Moore. Alan Shearer.

None of which won as much as they might. None of which played for the "big" clubs of the day. Yet each 1 of them has a legacy that nearly all footballers of today can only dream of.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,323
    West Ham United ban fans shown in 'powder-sniffing' video at London Stadium.

West Ham United have banned a group of fans over their actions in a video taken during a game at London Stadium.

A clip on social media shows one man putting white powder on the bald head of a man in front of him, and another appearing to sniff the powder.

The Premier League club said "there is no place for this kind of behaviour".

"The club is disgusted by the contents of the video and acted swiftly to identify the offenders," said a spokesperson for the Hammers.

"In line with our zero-tolerance approach, details of the offenders were immediately passed on to the police, and all individuals had their season tickets suspended and are therefore unable to enter London Stadium and travel with the club for away fixtures.

"Pending our own club investigation, this could lead to the offenders being banned indefinitely. There is no place for this kind of behaviour."
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,698
    ^^^^
    Vim :#
  • Options
    stokefc said:

^^^^
    Vim :#

I suppose they can use that as an excuse and claim it was baking powder etc and only done as a social media joke, I doubt the police or club could prove otherwise and no laws were broken if the fans keep to that story.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

The press and the pundits keep going on and on about Harry Kane should leave Spurs for his "legacy". I have no idea on whether he will or not-I wish him well either way.

I have seen very few genuinely world class, English, footballers in my time. Here are 4 of what is a fairly short list:-

None of which won as much as they might. None of which played for the "big" clubs of the day. Yet each 1 of them has a legacy that nearly all footballers of today can only dream of.

It just so happens that I came across this earlier today, not too sure that I agree with quite a few of these names.

The 10 best English footballers in history.

10- Gary Lineker
    9- Harry Kane
    8- Alan Shearer
    7- David Beckham
    6- Paul Gascoigne
    5- Gordon Banks
    4- Jimmy Greaves
    3- Wayne Rooney
    2- Bobby Moore
    1- Bobby Charlton
  • Options
    Gary Lineker is stepping back from his duties as Match of the Day presenter, the BBC has said in a statement.

He will not present the show until an agreement is reached on social media use, after being embroiled in a row over impartiality by comparing the language used to launch a new government asylum policy with 1930s Germany.

A BBC spokesperson said the corporation has been in "extensive discussions with Gary and his team in recent days".

"We have said that we consider his recent social media activity to be a breach of our guidelines.

"The BBC has decided that he will step back from presenting Match of the Day until we've got an agreed and clear position on his use of social media.
  • Options
    Rooney was good but he couldn't lace Sir Stanley Matthews boots
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

Gary Lineker is stepping back from his duties as Match of the Day presenter, the BBC has said in a statement.

He will not present the show until an agreement is reached on social media use, after being embroiled in a row over impartiality by comparing the language used to launch a new government asylum policy with 1930s Germany.

A BBC spokesperson said the corporation has been in "extensive discussions with Gary and his team in recent days".

"We have said that we consider his recent social media activity to be a breach of our guidelines.

"The BBC has decided that he will step back from presenting Match of the Day until we've got an agreed and clear position on his use of social media.

If i was the boy Lineacre i'd tell them to go swivel , he's a made man anyway enjoy his retirement..or become a politictian
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

It just so happens that I came across this earlier today, not too sure that I agree with quite a few of these names.

The 10 best English footballers in history.

10- Gary Lineker
    9- Harry Kane
    8- Alan Shearer
    7- David Beckham
    6- Paul Gascoigne
    5- Gordon Banks
    4- Jimmy Greaves
    3- Wayne Rooney
    2- Bobby Moore
    1- Bobby Charlton
    Would that be the 4 who played for Spurs?
    Or the 0 who played for Arsenal? :)

Here are 2 more top 10s-the first is the 10 with most caps not on that list, then personal favourites with 50+ caps.

11. Shilton
    12. Gerrard
    13. Ashley Cole
    14. Lampard
    15. Billy Wright
    16. Bryan Robson
    17. Owen
    18. Sansom
    19. Gary Neville
    20. Ray Wilkins

And how about:-

21. Rio Ferdinand
    22. John Barnes
    23. Stuart Pearce
    24. Martin Peters
    25. Tony Adams
    26. Kevin Keegan
    27. Terry Butcher
    28. Sol Campbell
    29. Kyle Walker
    30. Des Walker
  • Options
    stokefc said:

lucy4 said:

If i was the boy Lineacre i'd tell them to go swivel , he's a made man anyway enjoy his retirement..or become a politictian
    And Well Done to Ian Wright for his support.

Top man.
  • Options
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

Barcelona are embroiled in a corruption scandal as they are accused of paying over £1MILLION to an ex-LaLiga referees chief for 'neutral' treatment and advice on how to adapt to each official.

Barcelona have been accused of paying more than £1million across three seasons to the former vice president of LaLiga referees in a major corruption scandal.

A report alleges that Barcelona paid Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira, through his company DASNIL 95, €1.4m (£1.2m) during Josep Bartomeu's presidency.

It is alleged that Negreira, was paid €532,728 in 2016, €541,752 in 2017, and then a further €318,200 in 2018.

All those payments are alleged by the prosecutor's office to have been made by Barcelona to DASNIL 95, with a report claiming they wanted 'to make sure that no refereeing decisions were made against, that is, "that everything was neutral".

Having already testified, Negreira and his son Javier Enríquez Romero have reportedly denied that Barcelona ever received any preferential treatment from referees.

In his testimony, Negreira claimed that his alleged agreement with Barcelona was to see him recommend how their players should behave in game with referees.

It is claimed he tailored his advice depending on the referee they were assigned for upcoming matches.

That is, what they could and should not do depending on the referee designated for the matches.

Barcelona charged with corruption over payments to former referees' official.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64918604

Barcelona have been charged with corruption over payments the club made to Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira, a former vice-president of Spain's referees' committee.

Last month it emerged that Barca have paid Negreira and a company he owns a reported total of 8.4m euros (£7.4m) between 2001 and 2018.

A Barcelona court heard on Friday that Barca, former club officials and Negreira had been indicted for "corruption", "breach of trust" and "false business records".

These lawsuits, brought by the Barcelona public prosecutor's office, target the club, as well as former presidents Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell.

"FC Barcelona obtained and maintained a strictly confidential verbal agreement with Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira so that, in his capacity as vice-president of the technical arbitral committee (CTA) and in exchange for money, the latter carries out actions tending to benefit FC Barcelona in decisions by the referees," said the public prosecutor's office.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    It's years since I dealt with 1 of these. But here is my take on this:-

1. GL is not an employee of the BBC-so anyone calling for him to ne "sacked" needs to get real
    2. I expect that Mr Lineker currently has a "golden handcuff" agreement with the BBC. He has agreed not to work for rival broadcasters (particularly BT Sport) any more, presumably in return for various incentives (which do not appear to be money)
    3. People advising Mr Lineker will have pointed out to him that the BBC are perfectly entitled to unilaterally renege on the commercial agreement they have with him (although they risk being sued), but more importantly
    4. This will mean that the handcuffs are off. And Mr Lineker is free to go back to BT Sport (where I believe he was earning more than at the BBC), without being in breach of contract-as the BBC will have already broken it
    5. So, the BBC-who are supposed to be impartial-will lose their highest-paid presenter, because of pressure placed on them by the Tory Government.

The BBC is supposed to be impartial. And quite clearly is not. Because it is currently being led by the nose by the Conservative Party.

That would be the Party that have already announced that they intend to take steps to defund the BBC....
  • Options
    Not gonna be many left at this rate.