You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Cheltenham Bets,Tips,News & Thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,028
    'The world's most expensive Guinness' goes on sale at Cheltenham at a price of £20 a pint... but it does come with a 'premium Black Velvet' twist.

The biggest event on the horse racing calendar has come around once more, but the Cheltenham Festival has drawn attention for the wrong reasons after a premium Guinness was put on sale for £20.

The four-day festival of racing runs from Tuesday, March 14, to St. Patrick's Day on Friday, March 17, with an estimated 220,000 pints of Guinness are set to be drunk at the Cheltenham Festival according to reports.

As a result, more than 50,000 pints are anticipated per-day, but there looks to be a premium option available this year to those willing to brave the stunning price tag for a twist on the classic Irish drink.

Rather than an average pint of Guinness, the Club Black Velvet - launched by Irish bookmakers Fitzdares - is a 50-50 split of the iconic Irish stout and English sparkling wine.

But the bookmakers' CEO admitted that the extravagant price of the beverage was a tongue-in-cheek nod to the constant criticisms of Guinness costs at the festival, claiming that the company's price tag was a 'rib' at 'complainers'.

'Every year there is more and more controversy around the cost of Guinness at the Cheltenham Festival and frankly we were bored of it,' Fitzdares CEO William Woodham said.

'So, to gently rib the complainers and celebrate recent political manoeuvres we have created the world's most expensive - and finest - pint of the black stuff with a mix of premium English sparkling wine and Guinness brewed in Dublin.

'Isn't it the perfect way to celebrate free trade between our two great nations and the Windsor protocol? The Irish visitors to Cheltenham can afford it with their strong currency. Yours for £20.'

The beverage will be made available to those attending the festival at Fitzdares Club, as well as in sister venues in the Cotswolds and in London's Belgravia.

This year's festival will also see a new feature at select bars, where fans can help themselves to help yourself Guinness and lager.

However, even though customers will be invited to serve themselves their tipple of choice, the price for a pint of the Irish stout is set at £7.50 and a lager will cost punters £7.40.

There was outcry just under a year ago at Aintree after the prices for drinks served at the Grand National were revealed.

Draught beers ranged from £7-£7.20, while mixers were priced at £2.30 as many spectators even called for a boycott of the event, as per the Liverpool Echo.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,163
    A few e/w bets I've had today at much bigger prices .....the more places the better obv.

2.50pm .......THE BIG BREAKAWAY 16/1
    FANION D'ESTRUVAL 33/1
    TEA CLIPPER 40/1
    REMASTERED. 22/1

4.10PM ........ LOVE ENVOI. 8/1

4.50PM ........ AFADIL. 22/1
    SAMUEL SPADE. 22/1
    METAMORPHEUS. 25/1
    LUDUS. 33/1
  • Options

anyone on Marine National in the opener.......seen her run 3 times, beautiful horse.

Good call @green_beer
  • Options

anyone on Marine National in the opener.......seen him run 3 times, beautiful horse.

really well done :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,258

Great start @green_beer
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,734
    edited March 2023
    @MISTY4ME @Tikay10 @lucy4

thanks!
    fingers crossed for some more like that!
  • Options
    What a reception Honeysuckle received in the winning enclosure.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    lucy4 said:

What a reception Honeysuckle received in the winning enclosure.

Great to see her bow out with fantastic WIN :)<3o:)

.....even if she did beat LO <3 E ENVOI into 2nd
  • Options
    My Sky £2 Cash Back Bet.

• Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 206
    edited March 2023
    The emotion of the Honey race could break even a stone! What a day, bring on pub Wednesday :p
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 206
    Tough card but initial 3 bets for 2mor

2.50 Everything just seems to have come right for GOOD RISK AT ALL 14-16/1
    8 PLACES E/W with SKYBET

I like Edwardstone in the 3.30 but we don't want anything shorter then 7/4-2/1. He was very good in Tingle Creek, and I really think he can follow up his Arkle Chase success from last year.

4.50 Elixir De Nutz - A lot of people forget that ELIXIR DE NUTZ 14-16/1 is a former Grade 1 winner, If jumping is on song he has a very good chance!
    6 PLACES E/W with a few firms including SKYBET
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    JammyFker said:

Tough card but initial 3 bets for 2mor

2.50 Everything just seems to have come right for GOOD RISK AT ALL 14-16/1
    8 PLACES E/W with SKYBET

I like Edwardstone in the 3.30 but we don't want anything shorter then 7/4-2/1. He was very good in Tingle Creek, and I really think he can follow up his Arkle Chase success from last year.

4.50 Elixir De Nutz - A lot of people forget that ELIXIR DE NUTZ 14-16/1 is a former Grade 1 winner, If jumping is on song he has a very good chance!
    6 PLACES E/W with a few firms including SKYBET

2.50 > i fancy a wee e/w good risk on Red Risk, haha, just for the fun of it.

tough day ahead, race 3 5 and 6 seem impossible.
  • Options
    Anyone on Paisley park today?

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523

Prince's ashes? (Too soon?)
  • Options
    Had some free bets to use up today.

• Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Shishkin 7/4 with Bet365
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

I am confused.
  • Options

MAXALLY said:

I am confused.

@green_beer

Here's your first clue...

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523

MAXALLY said:

I am confused.
    Apologies.....it was my (slightly warped) sense of humour. The ex singer Prince had a song called Paisley Park and I think he named his residence the same name too. Sadly he is no longer with us. Not sure where he was buried/cremated, but his ashes may be in an urn somewhere 'on Paisley Park' .
  • Options

We may even be obliged to call him TAFKAP