You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

What to watch in 2024: best new TV Series/Movies.

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Watched the first 2 episodes of "The Gold" on BBC i-player last night, really enjoyable.

It's the story of the Brinks Mat robbery, & what happened to the gold. True story, proper good story too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0dvdttj/the-gold

So what happened to The Wire?

I sort of lost interest a bit after Series 2. Might re-visit it.

I thought some of the casting was a bit naff. The lady detective ( the one who got shot) was just not realistic at all.
    The Wire's Kima Was Supposed to Be Killed in the First Season, Creator Says

https://time.com/3514396/hbo-wire-paley-fest-cast-reunion-david-simon-kima-greggs/
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

That's the lady.

Tikay10 said:

That's the lady.

She wasnt supposed to get past the first series.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,728
    This was an intriguing watch about the so called 'Golden Boy' of American politics, to see how he would be judged by todays standards would be interesting. Available on Channel4 catch up.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/kennedy-sinatra-and-the-mafia

Kennedy, Sinatra and the Mafia review – a barely believable tale of corruption and betrayal.

This documentary’s examination of the singer, the president and organised crime is exhilaratingly grubby. The twisting, steadily intensifying story is a corker

Politics overlaps with showbiz and organised crime much more than it ought to, but the similarities are undeniable. Each profession involves gaining and wielding at least two of the holy triptych of fame, money and power.

Kennedy, Sinatra and the Mafia rattles through the scarcely believable tale of how the US president, the world’s favourite singer and some particularly nasty gangsters helped each other to succeed in the rotten chaos of the US after the second world war. Of course, it ends tragically for more than one of the players. John F Kennedy is assassinated, but Frank Sinatra doesn’t get off scot-free. He had fame and money, but when he mixed it with people who had power, they crushed him.

The programme does nothing big or clever with its format, alternating between talking heads and archive footage (although even bog-standard celluloid showing New York and Las Vegas in the 40s, 50s and early 60s is something you can’t see too often). And it needn’t: the twisting, steadily intensifying story is a corker.

It begins with Kennedy and Sinatra’s upbringings. Kennedy was groomed for high office from birth, the son of a man who had made his fortune from stock market manipulation and bootlegging. The second exploit had brought the family into contact with the mafia.

Sinatra emerged from the scrappy immigrant enclave of Hoboken, New Jersey, where his parents ran a bar called Marty O’Brien’s, or MOB for short. Latching on to his singing talent as his ticket out, the young Sinatra established himself by singing in clubs owned by the mafia. By the time he broke through by singing with the bandleader Tommy Dorsey, discovering that Dorsey had tied him into an extortionate long-term contract was not a problem; Sinatra knew a guy who was happy to visit Dorsey to persuade him to reconsider.

In the early 50s, Kennedy was continuing his ascent via election to the Senate, but Sinatra was struggling to revive a career that had stalled in part because the public had got wind of his association with organised crime. He leaned on the mafia to help him back up and was allowed to play half-empty gigs in their clubs. Was the shady influence of the mob in Hollywood the reason for Sinatra landing a surprising comeback role in 1953’s From Here to Eternity? This documentary is having far too much fun to countenance any more prosaic explanations. Certainly, the mafia took a great interest in Las Vegas, with the city as we know it – with the churn of punters necessary to make a mob-financed expansion viable – emerging only after Sinatra had taken residence there and formed the Rat Pack.

Some details, such as how Kennedy’s Roman Catholicism affected his electoral appeal, are mentioned briefly then tossed aside as the programme gallops shamelessly towards the good stuff: the singer and the politician interacting directly. Sinatra welcomed Kennedy, a pathological philanderer, into an intoxicatingly cool world of exclusive parties and beautiful women. There is a sinful thrill in looking at the photographs of these two impossibly famous men from two supposedly separate worlds, palling around on club banquettes, in a whiskey-and-cigarettes fug, apparently invincible.

Sinatra, dizzied by this proximity to power, was fully on board with Kennedy’s presidential run in 1960, not just releasing an awkward new version of his hit High Hopes (“K-E-double-N-E-D-Y, Jack’s the nation’s favourite guy”), but working the phones, raising campaign funds and helping to secure the support of the mafia, chiefly the notoriously unstable Chicago Outfit boss Sam Giancana. The mafia controlled the unions, whose members tended to vote as a bloc; in return for helping Kennedy to win, mobsters were led to believe that the new administration would go easy on them.

But when Kennedy prevailed, it soon became clear exactly where in the food chain the mafia sat. Bobby Kennedy was appointed attorney general and set about bringing down the mob, shattering the informal agreement it believed it had brokered. Sinatra, who had thought he was a gangster for life, discovered that he was one of them only for as long as he was useful.

What about his old pal Jack, the guy who had partied with him in Vegas and was now the president? Kennedy didn’t need Sinatra’s friendship any more. In 1962, with the FBI chief, J Edgar Hoover, on the president’s tail, Kennedy’s scheduled stay at Sinatra’s mansion in California – a visit for which the singer had proudly spent much time and money preparing – was cancelled.

The humiliated Sinatra was left with such deep-seated resentment and insecurity that he became a Republican. Kennedy, meanwhile, was shot dead a year later. The film is happy to let us assume that it was a mafia hit. It is an apposite end to an exhilaratingly grubby fable.

That's a fascinating write-up.
    Tikay10 said:

That's a fascinating write-up.

@Tikay10 just to confirm it wasn't mine but a Telegraph review before I get accused of plagiarism :)

@lucy4

Ha, yes, I was referring to the content, not the writing style. As it happens, both are good.
    Tikay10 said:

@lucy4

Ha, yes, I was referring to the content, not the writing style. As it happens, both are good.

This was an intriguing watch about the so called 'Golden Boy' of American politics, to see how he would be judged by todays standards would be interesting. Available on Channel4 catch up.

That was my total contribution to the discussion but the actual programme was very revealing. Trump v Kennedy comparisons are quite comparable given time adjustments.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

So now I need to find something else to satisfy my late night viewing. Might try The Wire.

Try Bosch.
    Bosch is as good as The Wire. Try that after the Wire
    Have you watched Top Boy?
    Don't have Netflix any more

PS-seen first 2 of the new episodes of Bosch. Bit disappointed, but hopeful will improve
    I thought it was ok, but not spectacular.
    The ending probably gives away the future for Bosch.
    I am listening to The Lincoln Lawyer book 7.
    He is working in what he describes as the "dark side" for Mickey Haller.
    He just cant work for defence lawyers.
    So assuming Money Chandler gets elected as DA, it will at least offer Bosch, some employment that he considers worthwhile, and some future stories.

Have you watched Dark Hearts?
    Agree re Bosch. Was really looking forward to that, but it was distinctly average.

Not watched Dark Hearts. Have just watched Departure-Series 1 & 2 were good, but 3 was disappointing.
    I thought his future looked very uncertain at the end of the latest book in the Bosch series.
    He is undergoing treatment in the latest Lincoln Lawyer book.
    Agreed. Fear the books are running out of steam.

But there are still plenty of books for the TV series.
    Nicola Walker stars in very risqué period drama Mary & George – and it looks outrageous

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/nicola-walker-stars-very-risqu-170647021.html
    edited November 2023
    edited November 2023
    that he considers worthwhile, and some future stories.

Agree re Bosch. Was really looking forward to that, but it was distinctly average.

Not watched Dark Hearts. Have just watched Departure-Series 1 & 2 were good, but 3 was disappointing.

I thought his future looked very uncertain at the end of the latest book in the Bosch series.

HAYSIE said:

This will be good, I have read the book.

BBC4.
    Scrublands - Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vfbn2rvls

Chris Hammer introduces Scrublands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SM7qzhMkhM

All 4 episodes are on the iPlayer now.

HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Don't know when it was made but 'Nice Guys' with Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe is absolutely excellent........too funny
    Its been a long time since I have actually 'laughed out loud'.....well worth a watch.

Where did you get it?
    I have one of those dodgy firestick app things so you can find all the new and old movies so it might have been on there also have prime and netflix so it could have been on one of those
    HAYSIE said:

Saturday night BBC1.
    Cast looks good.
    Kin Season 1 Trailer | Rotten Tomatoes TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_byGxUym7HQ

All 8 episodes are on the iPlayer now.
    So thats my day sorted out.
    This looks good.
    27th November.
    The Couple Next Door | Official Trailer | Sam Heughan, Eleanor Tomlinson & Hugh Dennis | Channel 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wIsXobinA
    edited November 2023
    HAYSIE said:

that he considers worthwhile, and some future stories.

HAYSIE said:

This will be good, I have read the book.

BBC4.
    Scrublands - Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vfbn2rvls

Chris Hammer introduces Scrublands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SM7qzhMkhM

All 4 episodes are on the iPlayer now.

This is excellent.
    Walt Longmire was in it.
    I would also recommend his novels to anyone that is into a bit of reading.
    I have posted them on the books thread.
    This is the first story in the Martin Scarsden series.
    There are two more, so far.
    HAYSIE said:

Sunday night BBC1.
    Boat Story | OFFICIAL trailer - BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTNgZ2kDeRw

All episodes of this are now available on the iPlayer.
    edited November 2023
    HAYSIE said:

Saturday night BBC1.
    Cast looks good.
    Kin Season 1 Trailer | Rotten Tomatoes TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_byGxUym7HQ

All 8 episodes are on the iPlayer now.
    So thats my day sorted out.

This is worth a watch.
    Some women are very slippery.
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,820
    I watched Predestination(2014) last night.

Quite a good head screw.
    mumsie said:

I watched Predestination(2014) last night.

Quite a good head screw.

Not my thing.
    I have never been into sci-fi, and am probably too old to start now.

@HAYSIE

That's good news, I really enjoyed the Film.