You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

What to watch in 2024: best new TV Series/Movies.

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:
    Okay having read the update on the new cast list and who is playing what I now know what books the story will be based on and therefore will pretty much know where the storyline will end up which means little or no surprises for me.

Although the fact that so far both series 1 and 2 have mingled characters and subplots from different books quite well I'm not sure how much this can carry on without diluting the impact.

For example season two had elements from The Gods of Guilt, The Brass Verdict and even The Lincoln Lawyer although the bulk of the story was based around The Fifth Witness.
    I will bow to your superior memory.
    No real memory needed, I have just read and re read the Mickey Haller books ad infinitum. Having been introduced to Bosch through them I'm now going to start reading all of that franchise. He seems a complex character.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:
    Okay having read the update on the new cast list and who is playing what I now know what books the story will be based on and therefore will pretty much know where the storyline will end up which means little or no surprises for me.

Although the fact that so far both series 1 and 2 have mingled characters and subplots from different books quite well I'm not sure how much this can carry on without diluting the impact.

For example season two had elements from The Gods of Guilt, The Brass Verdict and even The Lincoln Lawyer although the bulk of the story was based around The Fifth Witness.
    I will bow to your superior memory.
    No real memory needed, I have just read and re read the Mickey Haller books ad infinitum. Having been introduced to Bosch through them I'm now going to start reading all of that franchise. He seems a complex character.
    I have read or listened to them all over many years.
    Titus Welliver narrates the Bosch audio books these days.
    I have also read the Jack McEvoy series which is not as good as Bosch or the Lincoln Lawyer.
    There are only two in the Terry McCaleb series, the second one got mixed in with Bosch, but I enjoyed the Blood Work film.
    I have got the next Lincoln Lawyer book pre-ordered, due out early next month.
    I am rewatching Bosch on the telly at the moment.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

So now I need to find something else to satisfy my late night viewing. Might try The Wire.

Try Bosch.
    Bosch is as good as The Wire. Try that after the Wire
    Have you watched Top Boy?
    Don't have Netflix any more

PS-seen first 2 of the new episodes of Bosch. Bit disappointed, but hopeful will improve
    The problem with just about all the streaming services is that they dont produce enough new stuff to justify a subscription.
    I am happy with Prime even though I dont watch that much on there.
    My wife reads books on her kindle, and gets them all free.
    We also get free, quick, deliveries.
    I dont watch Netflix that much, but I cut back a little on Sky, and I have got it included with what I have left.
    I dont know how much I could save by knocking it off.
    I have had a couple of trials of Apple+, after buying a new phone, and something else.
    Sky was recently offering another one, but I had a look, and there was nothing on there I wanted to watch.
    Disney+ had an offer of £1.99 per month for 3 months, the other day, but there was nothing that appealed on there either.
    I had a one month Acorn free trial, a while ago, and after a couple of weeks, I was struggling to find anything more that was worth watching.

I might have said it before, but in the future I could see myself subscribing for a month every now and again, and cancelling before the end of the month.
    This is the problem that the various streaming services have. Put simply, the majority will fold pretty soon. It is a shrinking market, with far too many companies in it.

Like you, I have reduced my Sky subscription, keep Prime for exactly the reasons you mention, and most others have gone or are going. Simply because they offer poor value for money.
    Sky are obviously struggling for new stuff.
    I regularly have a look under the new series tab.
    They are now including the same programmes day after day.
    They are also including series that are clearly not new.
    Yesterday London Kills.
    Today Time.
    Dark Winds was new, all of last week, so how can it be still new this week.
    Many others fall into this category.
    They seem to be trying to create an illusion.
    edited October 2023

BBC4 Saturday.
    Cœurs Noirs - Bande Annonce 2023 / Dark Hearts - Official Trailer 2023 (Prime Video, February 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNL047IG7L4

All episodes are on the iPlayer now.

There has to be a second series of this.
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Don't forget that the Steve Coogan/Saville thing is on tonight.

I suspect it effectively be just a vehicle to promote Coogan's admittedly brilliant skills as an impressionist, but we'll see.

Number 1 in the Sky top ten today.
    What a despicable man.
    Targeting the disabled, and vulnerable, is unforgivable.
    What a weird relationship he had with his Mother.
    How many lives did he ruin?
    @HAYSIE

Well it was a dramatisation, so we don't know how near the truth it was. Even so, yes, a despicable individual. Amazing how he got away with it so long, presumably due to his celebrity status. I don't think it could happen today somehow, with so much increased scrutiny on socials & the like.
    True, but he was apparently locked up, alone, with her dead body, for five days.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

So now I need to find something else to satisfy my late night viewing. Might try The Wire.

Try Bosch.
    Bosch is as good as The Wire. Try that after the Wire
    The West Wing?
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,183
    edited October 2023
    Don't know when it was made but 'Nice Guys' with Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe is absolutely excellent........too funny
    Its been a long time since I have actually 'laughed out loud'.....well worth a watch.
    HENDRIK62 said:

Don't know when it was made but 'Nice Guys' with Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe is absolutely excellent........too funny
    Its been a long time since I have actually 'laughed out loud'.....well worth a watch.

Where did you get it?
    HENDRIK62 said:

You watched Dark Hearts yet?
    Shetland season 8: everything we know including plot, cast and release date

Shetland season 8 release date
    Shetland series eight will premiere on Wednesday 1 November at 9pm on BBC One and iPlayer.

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/shetland-season-8-everything-know-140000228.html
    Shetland: First Look at the Brand New Series | BBC Scotland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB4zEDFrrXA

Shetland Season 8 EXCITING Cast Reveal..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeoyJ-RwOpo
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

I at last finished all the Top Boy episodes last night. It took longer than it should as when I began watching it, I never realised I was watching the sequel to Summerhouses. So I started from scratch to ensure I saw the whole thing in sequence.

I eventually came to enjoy it very much. I had to have the sub-titles on as it was hard to hear all the convo, & I had to have at the ready a "street" slang convertor to decode what they were saying. (wagwan, straps, P's, food, mendam, Ends, pattern, say less & so on).

Two characters in particular really impressed - Sully, & best of all, Jaq. Think we'll see a lot more of Jasmine Robson, who played Jaq.

The Big Autumn 2023 TV List: our must-watch rundown

THRILLER QUEENS
    Male action heroes? Meh. Autumn’s most gripping dramas aren’t just for the boys

JASMINE JOBSON IN… Platform 7 (ITVX, coming soon) The Top Boy scene-stealer witnesses a suicide at a railway station and finds chilling memories being stirred up. Clue: they’re not about rail-replacement bus services.

ASHLEY JENSEN IN… Shetland (BBC1, Oct) There’s been a mur-durr. The Extras star replaces Douglas Henshall to become the first female lead of the windswept Scottish detective drama.

JODIE FOSTER IN… True Detective: Night Country (Sky Atlantic/Now, coming soon) The double Oscar-winner tackles the strange disappearance of all six staff members at an Alaskan research station. Surely an HR matter?

DAISY HAGGARD IN… Boat Story (BBC1, coming soon) The Back To Life star plays one half of a pair of ordinary skint civilians who stumble across a boat load of cocaine and hatch a plan to sell the haul and split the cash, not snort it.

JODIE WHITTAKER IN… Time (BBC1, Oct) Jimmy McGovern’s prison drama returns with Whittaker, Bella Ramsey and Tamara Lawrence playing female inmates. Prisoner: Cell Block H, with the H for hard-hitting.

MORVERN CHRISTIE IN… Payback (ITV1, 4 Oct) A widow seeks vengeance for her husband’s death by trying to bring down the crime boss behind his murder. What could possibly go wrong?

SAMANTHA MORTON IN… The Burning Girls (Paramount+, 19 Oct) A female vicar along with her teenage daughter arrive to make a fresh start in a sleepy village that certainly isn’t all it that seems. And not in a Dibley way.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/big-autumn-culture-list-tv-110101524.html
    edited October 2023
    Friday 1,45pm BBC1.
    LONDON KILLS SEASON 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDegS1nvug
    The Burning Girls | Official Trailer | Paramount+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmInTD1W3k
    I was lurking about on the iPlayer this morning and came across the below.
    I cant remember watching it, so I put it on.
    All three of the below looked just out of school, as well as the Silent Witness fella.

Ioan Gruffudd as Lieutenant John Feeley
    Matthew Macfadyen as Private Alan James
    Damian Lewis as Lieutenant Neil Loughrey
    Tom Ward as Captain Richard Gurney

Warriors 1999 BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzbNLKMaf94
    HAYSIE said:

Friday 1,45pm BBC1.
    LONDON KILLS SEASON 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDegS1nvug