You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Thieves Hit Shops 1,000 Times A Day, And Attacks On Staff Double.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,493
edited April 27 in The Rail

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,171

It really has become bad, shoplifting seems to have increased significantly. I think it's just a symptom of modern society though, much of it caused by bad parenting. When a kids go wrong in their formative years, they rarely get back on the straight & narrow.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,541
    Serve yourself
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

It really has become bad, shoplifting seems to have increased significantly. I think it's just a symptom of modern society though, much of it caused by bad parenting. When a kids go wrong in their formative years, they rarely get back on the straight & narrow.

Its not just kids.
    There no real penalties these days.
    Some forces refuse to attend incidents of shoplifting that are under £200.
    So if you were a shoplifter, you can carry on to hearts content, and not even get arrested, as long as you keep it under £200.
    No wonder prices are going up.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,098
    Tikay10 said:

Not saying that is irrelevant. But every generation blames ills on "bad parenting". In the belief that parenting was somehow better in the last generation.

To my mind, there are 2 major changes:-

1. The increasing numbers of people in real poverty in this country. Inflation hits the poor far harder at the moment-prices are increasing quickest for the essentials. Gas. Electric. Rent. Food. It has always been the case that 90% of people in prison were born into the poorest 10% of households. Which strongly suggests that people are bad because they are poor. Not the other way around.

2. We have a current Government that prides itself in riding roughshod over doing things the right way. Anything perceived as getting in the way of their aims is lampooned and/or abolished. From Human Rights to Health & Safety to allowing Pensioners to know what their increase will be so they can budget. And that sense of entitlement, in a childlike belief that the World spins around the Individual, is certainly on the increase
  • Options
    I blame these.......

• Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,785
    if your kids are hungry you are gonna do whatever you can to feed them imo, as @Essexphil said, poverty is the driving factor behind a lotta crime.

they make a big deal outa this sorta thing but all the big shops are insuranced against theft, they budget for it as well......thats why the cops dont care.
  • Options

if your kids are hungry you are gonna do whatever you can to feed them imo, as @Essexphil said, poverty is the driving factor behind a lotta crime.

they make a big deal outa this sorta thing but all the big shops are insuranced against theft, they budget for it as well......thats why the cops dont care.

Or you might choose to go to a foodbank.
  • Options

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I'm afraid I don't buy the poverty argument.

There are billions of people worldwide living in poverty, but they don't steal.

And let's not forget, poverty is relative. If you have a smartphone, a colour TV, a Sky TV subscription, a fridge freezer & so on, is that really poverty?

Poverty may be a contributor - certainly IS in some cases - but poverty is no excuse for stealing.

We've all had to "cut our cloth" & live according to our means. We either spend less & accept the situation, or find a way to earn money. (There are no shortage of job vacancies in the UK).

Generally speaking, poverty is not an excuse to steal.

PS - see the newspaper 'photo above of some lad nicking three crates of booze. Is that down to poverty? If we can't afford booze, we go without, stealing it is not the answer.

And yes, I've been as poor or poorer as anyone here in my youth, trust me. I did not go round nicking stuff though. I had 2 paper rounds & I delivered groceries which gave me the money I desperately needed.

Stealing is wrong, end of.
  • Options
    Trouble is Mr T they don't see it as stealing if it's from the rich & Tesco not poor. hic!
  • Options
    To some it's a grown up Game like School lunch time in the Sweetie Shop... cough!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Pro Gangs from Europe see UK as easy...... job opportunity for light fingers...... Even old Grannies can do it.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Or the government could do its job better and give us a country with a working economy, and living wage so people wouldn’t have to rely on food banks or thieving.

Imagine having one of those kids who is a fussy eater, such as someone with OCD, food bank oxtale soup and the like must be a nightmare for them.

That story on the front of the paper is so typical, whip up a frenzy against a lager lout and avoid the real issue behind higher crime rates, which is poverty, everywhere you look. Imo.

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

I'm afraid I don't buy the poverty argument.

There are billions of people worldwide living in poverty, but they don't steal.

And let's not forget, poverty is relative. If you have a smartphone, a colour TV, a Sky TV subscription, a fridge freezer & so on, is that really poverty?

Poverty may be a contributor - certainly IS in some cases - but poverty is no excuse for stealing.

We've all had to "cut our cloth" & live according to our means. We either spend less & accept the situation, or find a way to earn money. (There are no shortage of job vacancies in the UK).

Generally speaking, poverty is not an excuse to steal.

PS - see the newspaper 'photo above of some lad nicking three crates of booze. Is that down to poverty? If we can't afford booze, we go without, stealing it is not the answer.

And yes, I've been as poor or poorer as anyone here in my youth, trust me. I did not go round nicking stuff though. I had 2 paper rounds & I delivered groceries which gave me the money I desperately needed.

Stealing is wrong, end of.

It’s a good point you raise, but poverty is relative to the environment, if you can get a job and are living on universal credit, you are living in poverty. No question about it, once the cycle starts it’s a down ward spiral, try living on the universal credit money for 3 months, u will soon struggle and be forced to seek charity, I think it’s shocking that in 2023 there are people in the uk who need to rely on food banks to feed their kids and clothes banks to dress them, and worst of all these things are promoted by government.

The lager lout is most likely poverty related as well, drinks to escape his reality, then ends up an alkie and then he needs to steal it to feed his addiction. Sure he maybe a bad egg, but it’s society that makes these ppl most of the time.
    Gotta go work

Have a good day
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,098
    Another reason for the rise in shoplifting is due to the actions of the Supermarkets.

My nearest Tescos 10 years ago had 30 manned tills. With real humans scanning your shopping, and taking your cash or card. Today? It has 2 or 3. With huge queues at them. While where the other tills used to be is self-service and self-scanning tills.

Tescos have laid off a lot of staff. And look at the bottom line showing they have saved on staff costs.

And don't seem to be capable of understanding that that same bottom line also leads to a massive increase in shoplifting and fraud. Because it is now so much easier to do.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Another reason for the rise in shoplifting is due to the actions of the Supermarkets.

My nearest Tescos 10 years ago had 30 manned tills. With real humans scanning your shopping, and taking your cash or card. Today? It has 2 or 3. With huge queues at them. While where the other tills used to be is self-service and self-scanning tills.

Tescos have laid off a lot of staff. And look at the bottom line showing they have saved on staff costs.

And don't seem to be capable of understanding that that same bottom line also leads to a massive increase in shoplifting and fraud. Because it is now so much easier to do.

@Essexphil

Yes, I agree, it's easier to steal from the big supermarkets these days. However, just because we CAN does not mean we SHOULD.

Theft is theft, whether it's easy or hard.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    Essexphil said:

If we refuse to use self service tills, we keep more staff in their jobs at Tescos etc. I will usually queue to use a manned till rather than use a self service till for that reason, oh and the fact that any self service till I use will generally go wrong at some point in the process.

I was given the slipper by my father when I was about 10 for shoplifting and it wasn't even me that did the shoplifting. My friend Dave had pinched a small dinky toy from the toy shop on the way home from school (we walked one and a half miles too and from primary school every day, rain or shine), my dad gave me the slipper because I knew Dave had taken it and I didn't tell him (he was a police officer). I despise stealing, contrary to some other's opinions it does hurt others, especially me, when I was 10!
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

Or the government could do its job better and give us a country with a working economy, and living wage so people wouldn’t have to rely on food banks or thieving.

Imagine having one of those kids who is a fussy eater, such as someone with OCD, food bank oxtale soup and the like must be a nightmare for them.

That story on the front of the paper is so typical, whip up a frenzy against a lager lout and avoid the real issue behind higher crime rates, which is poverty, everywhere you look. Imo.

We have always had thieving however rich or poor the country is.
    We have professional shoplifters.
    Some people would rather shoplift than work.
    I am sure that foodbanks are full of kind, caring people, that try to accommodate those in need as much as possible.
    I dont suppose you find much lager in them though.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

So are you saying its because there are less staff, or because its easier.
    Either way, does that mean it has nothing to do with poverty?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    See Tesco have fishnet security stockings on all the wine & Spirits today....

Tesco trials new alcohol security feature ahead of Christmas to clamp down on theft