You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Thieves Hit Shops 1,000 Times A Day, And Attacks On Staff Double.

Comments

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,541
    Ha Ha the days when you could whack the kids.......
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    Don't get me wrong my dad was my hero and we all had total respect for him and mum
    he come down hard on any misdemeaners though which was how it was back then
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,508
    edited September 2023
    Co-Op boss reveals stores hire ex-cops and veterans to patrol aisles as staff are attacked with weapons - but have to let shoplifters go because police are ignoring 80% of cases

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2023/07/27/2344289193658793563/636x382_MP4_2344289193658793563.mp4

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2023/08/29/5687988661663348805/636x382_MP4_5687988661663348805.mp4

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2020/01/14/1908587098623032620/636x382_MP4_1908587098623032620.mp4

Paul Gerrard, Co-op's campaigns and public affairs director, (inset) said the number of cases of violence being used against staff had also increased by 25 per cent. 'We are running at about a thousand incidents of shoplifting a day across our two and a half thousand stores,' he told MailOnline. 'Four or five colleagues will be physically attacked every day. We've seen syringes, knives and we even saw a medieval mace a couple of years ago. Pictured are security staff dealing with youths at a store (left) and team leader Charlene Corbin (right), who was bottled by a shoplifter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12513257/Co-Op-boss-reveals-stores-hire-ex-cops-veterans-patrol-aisles-staff-attacked-weapons-let-shoplifters-police-ignoring-80-cases.html
  • Options
    Soon it will be home deliveries only Internet Shopping you get it when you've paid for it.

The high street will consist of Mc Donalds fast food outlets charity shops Estate Agents.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,785
    The staff of Tesco and scotmid shouldn’t be putting themselves into danger by approaching or apprehending shoplifters, it’s not their job, if any of my people worked in a shop I would tell them to let the ‘baddies’ do whatever, imagine being beaten or stabbed or something over a jar of coffee or case of lager……the world is full of nutters.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

The staff of Tesco and scotmid shouldn’t be putting themselves into danger by approaching or apprehending shoplifters, it’s not their job, if any of my people worked in a shop I would tell them to let the ‘baddies’ do whatever, imagine being beaten or stabbed or something over a jar of coffee or case of lager……the world is full of nutters.

John Lewis executive says shoplifting epidemic is NOT down to the cost of living crisis - as video shows brazen thieves piling tech and clothes into their bags in stores

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2023/09/15/371474661236166133/636x382_MP4_371474661236166133.mp4

EXCLUSIVE: Retail thefts have now risen by 27 per cent overall across ten of the UK's largest cities - and were up by 68 per cent in some, according to the British Retail Consortium. In CCTV footage from inside John Lewis, obtained exclusively by MailOnline, one man wearing a black jumper crouches down and opens a black bin bag before stashing two Pure speakers inside (left). In a second video, a man walks up to a pile of yellow tops and grabs them (right). In both cases the shoplifters were detained by security staff before being arrested by police.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12522747/CCTV-shoplifters-John-Lewis.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,099
    edited September 2023
    HAYSIE said:

John Lewis executive says shoplifting epidemic is NOT down to the cost of living crisis - as video shows brazen thieves piling tech and clothes into their bags in stores

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2023/09/15/371474661236166133/636x382_MP4_371474661236166133.mp4

EXCLUSIVE: Retail thefts have now risen by 27 per cent overall across ten of the UK's largest cities - and were up by 68 per cent in some, according to the British Retail Consortium. In CCTV footage from inside John Lewis, obtained exclusively by MailOnline, one man wearing a black jumper crouches down and opens a black bin bag before stashing two Pure speakers inside (left). In a second video, a man walks up to a pile of yellow tops and grabs them (right). In both cases the shoplifters were detained by security staff before being arrested by police.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12522747/CCTV-shoplifters-John-Lewis.html
    I can understand why the Daily Mail wishes to present a complex issue in overly-simple form. Various reasons for that-not least the low IQ of their writers and a lot of their readership.

What I cannot understand is why an executive of a major retail group wants to do the same. Because real life is not so simple that there is a single cause for pretty much anything.

Why the increase in shoplifting? Lots of reasons. From desperate people needing to be able to feed their families, to people with addiction problems, to criminal gangs, to the lack of investment in the High Street, to a hundred and one other things. All of which, in turn have a multitude of causes behind them.

There is no 1 cause. And no 1 magic bullet solution.

And that solution is most certainly not as simple as just trying to blame the shoplifters. Ir, for that matter, this Government.

PS-1 thing fascinates me in politics at the moment. Rishi Sunak seems intent on promoting change in the medium-to-long term. On a whole host of subjects-the latest being climate change.

Someone needs to tell him. Unless he can win over the public in the very near future, he doesn't have a medium-to-long term part to play in Politics.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I can understand why the Daily Mail wishes to present a complex issue in overly-simple form. Various reasons for that-not least the low IQ of their writers and a lot of their readership.

What I cannot understand is why an executive of a major retail group wants to do the same. Because real life is not so simple that there is a single cause for pretty much anything.

Why the increase in shoplifting? Lots of reasons. From desperate people needing to be able to feed their families, to people with addiction problems, to criminal gangs, to the lack of investment in the High Street, to a hundred and one other things. All of which, in turn have a multitude of causes behind them.

And that solution is most certainly not as simple as just trying to blame the shoplifters. Ir, for that matter, this Government.

PS-1 thing fascinates me in politics at the moment. Rishi Sunak seems intent on promoting change in the medium-to-long term. On a whole host of subjects-the latest being climate change.

Someone needs to tell him. Unless he can win over the public in the very near future, he doesn't have a medium-to-long term part to play in Politics.
    I wouldnt disagree.
    Although I do think that the lack of interest from the police will have encouraged some people to start, and others to do more.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I wouldnt disagree.
    Although I do think that the lack of interest from the police will have encouraged some people to start, and others to do more.
    Agree that that will also be 1 of the many factors.
    As is the willingness of the Press to publicise it so widely and, as I understand it, inaccurately.
    True to say police do not investigate every case. But there is no 1 nationwide figure where the police don't get involved.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I wouldnt disagree.
    As is the willingness of the Press to publicise it so widely and, as I understand it, inaccurately.
    True to say police do not investigate every case. But there is no 1 nationwide figure where the police don't get involved.
    There is the article posted earlier that said this,

When the British Retail Consortium reports around eight million thefts in the 12 months to March but police recorded only 339,206 cases, it is virtually a free crime.
  • Options
    The onus is on the shop keepers to protect their goods just like home owners have to lock their property and fit alarms/ door bell cameras. Police don't come running if you call them someone is acting suspicious in my garden or if they run off with your Garden Furniture. You try to stop them it's assault and you get carted off, better not put temptation in their way.
    DRUG BARON'S FORTRESS:; Front door and roof wired to mains, 3 steel doors, bars on windows, 32 cameras, bugs outside and fierce alsatians.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I wouldnt disagree.

When the British Retail Consortium reports around eight million thefts in the 12 months to March but police recorded only 339,206 cases, it is virtually a free crime.
    This is a typical example where a multi-faceted problem is given a spin to try and place all the blame on 1 of the many causes. To use this example:-

1. The BRC asked for numbers of thefts. Not numbers reported to the Police. Which is way lower. For a variety of reasons-not all thefts need reporting, and shopkeepers make judgment calls about when to report. And they are choosing to do so less and less-for a variety of reasons
    2. There was a change in the Law, meaning shoplifting under £200 is a "summary only" offence. Which is often dealt with via fixed penalty
    3. The Police have been given no additional funding, from the taxpayer or the BRC, to deal with the additional costs
    4. The BRC freely admit that its members no longer bring either private prosecutions or Civil action (which they used to do). And freely admit that the reason is because it is not "cost effective" for them to do so. Which I can fully appreciate-were it not for the fact that they demand that taxpayers money is used regardless. And that major supermarkets use the "cheaper" (for them) option of raising prices to claw back money lost from theft
    5. The Criminal Justice system is hopelessly underfunded. Courts are being routinely shut if they are deemed to be not making a "profit", and delays cause massive problems in additional expense for all concerned

Finger pointing can make for some interesting headlines.
    But not a solution.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I wouldnt disagree.

This is a typical example where a multi-faceted problem is given a spin to try and place all the blame on 1 of the many causes. To use this example:-

1. The BRC asked for numbers of thefts. Not numbers reported to the Police. Which is way lower. For a variety of reasons-not all thefts need reporting, and shopkeepers make judgment calls about when to report. And they are choosing to do so less and less-for a variety of reasons
    2. There was a change in the Law, meaning shoplifting under £200 is a "summary only" offence. Which is often dealt with via fixed penalty
    3. The Police have been given no additional funding, from the taxpayer or the BRC, to deal with the additional costs
    4. The BRC freely admit that its members no longer bring either private prosecutions or Civil action (which they used to do). And freely admit that the reason is because it is not "cost effective" for them to do so. Which I can fully appreciate-were it not for the fact that they demand that taxpayers money is used regardless. And that major supermarkets use the "cheaper" (for them) option of raising prices to claw back money lost from theft
    5. The Criminal Justice system is hopelessly underfunded. Courts are being routinely shut if they are deemed to be not making a "profit", and delays cause massive problems in additional expense for all concerned

But not a solution.
    I think that many people would be happier if the police enforced the law.
    Excuses for why they dont, wont satisfy many.
    The police need a plan, and the government need to fund it.
    Alternatively the bigger chains could employ their own security, with increased powers, and just hand over perpetrators to the police, tied up in a nice little bow, with all the evidence enclosed.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I wouldnt disagree.

But not a solution.
    Alternatively the bigger chains could employ their own security, with increased powers, and just hand over perpetrators to the police, tied up in a nice little bow, with all the evidence enclosed.
    All of that is true for many people.

Right up to the point that they realise that it costs taxpayers money. Rather than a magic money tree.

Many people think of them as "excuses", and I am sure that, to some extent, that is true. It is also true that bigger chains could agree to increase their costs in order to protect what is, after all, their property.

Tesco's underlying profit in the last year was £2.5 Billion.

As Reuters recently reported:-

"UK consumer price inflation ran at 10.4% in February, the most recent official data shows. In March, grocery inflation rose to a record 17.5%, while rising utility bills along with higher taxes and interest rates are also hitting household budgets.

Monthly industry data has shown Tesco performing solidly versus its traditional rivals Sainsbury's (SBRY.L), Asda and Morrisons, though it is still losing market share to German-owned discounters Aldi and Lidl, who are continuing to open new stores.

A decision by Tesco to take a hit on inflation, rather than pass on all the higher costs to customers, reflects a desire to maintain its market share through the downturn."

Inflation 10.4%. Grocery inflation 17.5%. In what universe is that Tesco "taking a hit on inflation, rather than pass on all the higher costs"?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I wouldnt disagree.

But not a solution.
    All of that is true for many people.

Right up to the point that they realise that it costs taxpayers money. Rather than a magic money tree.

Many people think of them as "excuses", and I am sure that, to some extent, that is true. It is also true that bigger chains could agree to increase their costs in order to protect what is, after all, their property.

Tesco's underlying profit in the last year was £2.5 Billion.

As Reuters recently reported:-

"UK consumer price inflation ran at 10.4% in February, the most recent official data shows. In March, grocery inflation rose to a record 17.5%, while rising utility bills along with higher taxes and interest rates are also hitting household budgets.

Monthly industry data has shown Tesco performing solidly versus its traditional rivals Sainsbury's (SBRY.L), Asda and Morrisons, though it is still losing market share to German-owned discounters Aldi and Lidl, who are continuing to open new stores.

A decision by Tesco to take a hit on inflation, rather than pass on all the higher costs to customers, reflects a desire to maintain its market share through the downturn."

Inflation 10.4%. Grocery inflation 17.5%. In what universe is that Tesco "taking a hit on inflation, rather than pass on all the higher costs"?
    Whats next?
    What crime will they not have the time or manpower to make arrests on next?
    Although they dont seem to bother much with burglaries these days.
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    well i know for a fact that they dont look into democide in this country , i handed in 4500 pages of evidence and they pretty much dismissed it , awful establishment run by masons
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    the nwo steal off us everyday of their lives and coop are part of that
  • Options
    Sworn at and threatened by shoplifters so brazen they don't care who sees them... HARRY WALLOP spends a harrowing day at a Co-op branch that's been robbed 1,000 times already this year

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2023/09/22/6499097172431750147/636x382_MP4_6499097172431750147.mp4

Naomi keeps a red book in the little office at the back of the Liverpool Co-op store that she manages. On the front it says: Santa's naughty list. She laughs when she shows me, but the contents are deadly serious. They are a log of all the shoplifting and abuse her staff have received since she took over the store in December last year. She is already onto her third book because, in 2023 alone, there have been 1,000 separate incidents. This is just one small convenience store out of the 2,400 that the Co-op runs in the UK.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12551035/Sworn-threatened-shoplifters-brazen-dont-care-sees-HARRY-WALLOP-spends-harrowing-day-op-branch-thats-robbed-1-000-times-year.html