You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Streets Of London - Ralph McTell featuring the Crisis Choir with guest vocalist Annie Lennox

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055

Well I won £50 last night and I'd only blow it on poker so following your fine example Tony.

Thank you for making this Christmas the start of a life beyond homelessness

Order ID: 1864546
    Worldpay transaction number: 200414279586732

Dear Mark

Thank you so much for your generous donation of £30.00.

And Christmas is just the beginning.

Your gift could also help provide tailored one-to-one support all year round – for example, helping someone with finding a home and settling in, gaining new skills or a new job, or helping with their health and wellbeing.

Thank you for allowing us to claim Gift Aid on your donation

By allowing us to claim Gift Aid, Crisis can reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that you have given in the last four years, as well as this donation and any you may choose to make in the future, until you notify us otherwise.

You’ve confirmed you are a UK taxpayer and understand that if you pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in each tax year it is your responsibility to pay any difference. This way, you are enabling Crisis to help even more people out of homelessness.

If you are not eligible to Gift Aid your donation, please let us know online, email us or contact our Supporter Care team on 08000 38 48 38. We can only amend our records from the date you inform us.

Your support helps give people experiencing homelessness in the UK a joyful Christmas and the support they need to leave homelessness behind for good. The start of this can be as simple as a series of small steps - from a haircut to a warm meal, your own shower and a personalised support plan.

You can find out other ways you can support Crisis on our website but if you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Supporter Care team on 08000 38 48 38 or email supporter.helpline@crisis.org.uk.

We know that homelessness is not inevitable and together, we can end it for good.

Wishing you and your loved ones all the best for this festive season.

Ely Mukhwana
    Supporter Care Manager

Good on ya, Mark.
    HAYSIE said:

Well I won £50 last night and I'd only blow it on poker so following your fine example Tony.

Thank you for making this Christmas the start of a life beyond homelessness

Order ID: 1864546
    Worldpay transaction number: 200414279586732

Dear Mark

Thank you so much for your generous donation of £30.00.

And Christmas is just the beginning.

Your gift could also help provide tailored one-to-one support all year round – for example, helping someone with finding a home and settling in, gaining new skills or a new job, or helping with their health and wellbeing.

Thank you for allowing us to claim Gift Aid on your donation

By allowing us to claim Gift Aid, Crisis can reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that you have given in the last four years, as well as this donation and any you may choose to make in the future, until you notify us otherwise.

You’ve confirmed you are a UK taxpayer and understand that if you pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in each tax year it is your responsibility to pay any difference. This way, you are enabling Crisis to help even more people out of homelessness.

If you are not eligible to Gift Aid your donation, please let us know online, email us or contact our Supporter Care team on 08000 38 48 38. We can only amend our records from the date you inform us.

Your support helps give people experiencing homelessness in the UK a joyful Christmas and the support they need to leave homelessness behind for good. The start of this can be as simple as a series of small steps - from a haircut to a warm meal, your own shower and a personalised support plan.

You can find out other ways you can support Crisis on our website but if you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Supporter Care team on 08000 38 48 38 or email supporter.helpline@crisis.org.uk.

We know that homelessness is not inevitable and together, we can end it for good.

Wishing you and your loved ones all the best for this festive season.

Ely Mukhwana
    Supporter Care Manager

Good on ya, Mark.
    It is a pity we couldnt have convinced a couple more.
    edited November 2023
    madprof said:

In fact, just thought of a new donation competition?

I'll donate £29.74 and see if anyone is prepared to ' out donate' me by a penny and donate £29.75, then someone else £29.76 etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNC8vJcrqRs
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    I have donated to Marks Charities in the past but there is something about this one that makes me hesitate..... sure others have concerns hence the poor response.
    goldon said:

I have donated to Marks Charities in the past but there is something about this one that makes me hesitate..... sure others have concerns hence the poor response.

Something about this one?
    edited November 2023
    goldon said:

40 years of Crisis at Christmas

Rather than silence .
    goldon said:

You best let Gabby Logan know.
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

You best let Gabby Logan know.
    And Ben Elton.
    edited November 2023
    goldon said:

Whether you donate or not is your choice.
    Although the least you could do, before making silly comments, is watch both the videos.

edited November 2023
    This is a must watch. @TheEdge949 @madprof

Streets Of London - Ralph McTell featuring the Crisis Choir with guest vocalist Annie Lennox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4OV54nb_Kw
    goldon said:

They must be really dodgy if they have only been going for 40 years?
    HAYSIE said:

This is a must watch. @TheEdge949 @madprof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4OV54nb_Kw

Being able to see all those people with genuine smiles, when they have got absolutely f...k all, has made my Christmas.
    No wish to upset you with my Post .... Good Luck.
    goldon said:

Not upset-you too.
    edited November 2023
    goldon said:

Since 1967 the Crisis at Christmas charity appeal has been supporting those of us experiencing homelessness at Christmas.
    Christmas Charity Appeal 2023 | Crisis at Christmas | Crisis UK
    www.crisis.org.uk/crisis-at-christmas/
    www.crisis.org.uk/crisis-at-christmas/

goldon said:

Crisis (charity)

Founded 1967
    Focus Delivering services to people in the UK experiencing homelessness and campaigning for change on their behalf. "Together we can end Homelessness"
    Website crisis.org.uk
    Crisis is the UK national charity for people experiencing homelessness. The charity offers year-round education, employment, housing and well-being services from centres in East London, Newcastle, Oxford, Edinburgh, South Yorkshire, South Wales, Croydon, Brent and Merseyside, called Crisis Skylight Centres.[1]

As well as year-round services the charity runs Crisis at Christmas, which since 1972[2] has been offering food, warmth, companionship and vital services to homeless people over the Christmas period. In 2016 almost 4,600 homeless people visited Crisis at Christmas.[3]

Since its inception Crisis has been a campaigning organisation,[4] lobbying government for political change that prevents and mitigates[5] homelessness based on research commissioned and undertaken by the organisation.[6]

Matt Downie OBE has been the chief executive of Crisis since 2022.[7]

History
    According to Crisis, the charity was "founded in 1967 in response to the shocking Ken Loach film Cathy Come Home shown the previous year, and a publicity campaign led by reforming Conservatives William Shearman and Ian Macleod highlighting the plight of homeless people".[8][9] The drama-documentary Cathy Come Home was first broadcast by the BBC the previous November.

Since the 1960s Crisis has evolved to meet the changing needs of single homeless people, campaigning for change and delivering services to help people find a route out of their homelessness across the UK.

It was one of the seven charities nominated by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to receive donations in lieu of wedding presents when the couple married on 19 May 2018.[10][11]

Crisis Skylight Centres
    There are 11 Skylight Centres covering East London (Aldgate), Brent, Croydon, Oxford, Merseyside, South Wales, South Yorkshire, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham and Coventry. Crisis Skylight Centres are accredited education, training and employment centres, offering practical and creative workshops in supportive and inspiring environments, together with formal learning opportunities that lead to qualifications and finding work.[1]

Crisis Skylight London opened in 2002,[12] with a Crisis Skylight Cafe social enterprise opening on the same site on Commercial Street in East London in 2004. In 2007, Crisis Skylight Newcastle opened,[13] followed by Crisis Skylight Birmingham and Crisis Skylight Edinburgh in 2010, Crisis Skylight Oxford[14] and Crisis Skylight Merseyside[15] in 2011 and Crisis Skylight Croydon in 2017.

Crisis at Christmas
    Since 1972 Crisis at Christmas has been offering food, warmth, companionship and services to people experiencing homelessness in London over the Christmas period. The project is run almost entirely by around 10,500 volunteers, making it the largest volunteer-led event in the UK.[16] In 2016, about 4,600 homeless people come through the doors. Since 2020, Crisis at Christmas has operated in three hotels across London, accommodating 450 people who would otherwise be sleeping rough over the Christmas period. The charity also runs four temporary day centres in London for up to 4,800 people in insecure living situations.[17]

Services offered at Christmas include internet access, entertainment, food and drink, healthcare, opticians, podiatry, dentistry, natural healing and hairdressing.[18]

During the key winter period Crisis at Christmas has centres in London, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Coventry and Birmingham.[19]

Campaigns
    Crisis is the national charity for people experiencing homelessness. The charity has stated: "We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it."[20]

In October 2011, Crisis launched a campaign to improve the assistance and support provided by Local Authorities to single homeless people.[21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_(charity)
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Not upset-you too.
    You sure.!
    goldon said:

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Not upset-you too.
    You sure.!
    Absof....inlutely.
    I am just making a point.

You said this,

I think that they seem to be above board.
    goldon said:

Crisis at Christmas is a charity appeal that has been supporting people experiencing homelessness during the Christmas period since 1967 1. Every year, Crisis at Christmas opens its doors to thousands of people facing homelessness and mobilizes a unique volunteering effort to provide warmth, companionship, and vital services to people facing homelessness at one of the toughest times of the year 12. This year, Crisis at Christmas will be taking over three hotels across London that will accommodate more than 400 people who would otherwise be sleeping rough over Christmas. Combined with many more who will receive support through their day centers in the capital and frontline services across Britain, they will be supporting more than 7,000 people experiencing homelessness this Christmas 1.

If you would like to donate to Crisis at Christmas, you can do so by visiting their website 1. They also offer volunteering opportunities for those who would like to help out 1.

1. crisis.org.uk