You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Why

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250

8 to 12 chicks is the average for a bluetit, though there can be as many as 18, &, of course, sometimes just 5 or 6. Very rare to have less.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,665
    One chick hopping around not able to fly so popped it back in the box, long time till Mum came back thought she had abandoned it because I handled it, was starting to worry but she fed it and it followed her out .... just waiting to see how many more. !
  • Options
    Three chick fluttering around the Garden the Cat would have a field Day.

Won't be putting up anymore of these as can't handle the stress.

• Options
    Abandoned Engineering.

Mixed Emotions my Entertainment gone my responsibility to see them leave the nest safely achieved. Hope "Mumsie" & "Dadsie" found them after leaving my Garden.

Eerily Quiet ! Seven chicks in all that I spotted leave the box could have been others. ?

There must be a Casualty rate and reason they produce so many.

Feel very lonely and abandoned. sob!!
  • Options
    Cleaned my feeders with disinfectant put fresh food in and hope fingers crossed the chicks stay local and visit my Garden again.......

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250

7 chicks sounds about right, as there's usually 1 or 2 that don't survive.

I've really enjoyed you writing about them, thank you.
  • Options
    IN MOURNING.

Absolutely gutted the chick I thought had made it didn't and died in the box.

Either it was my fault for handling it and Mum rejected it or the fall from the box trying to fly too soon then being left behind . What should've been great experience now tinged with sadness. Buried at the bottom of the Garden short service then washed the Bird box out with disinfectant but not sure if I will put it back up. Time may change but for now drying out in the shed.

• Options
    Remorse time.

..Shared my grief with my neighbour and offered him the bird box, he declined and called it a crime scene ..... no sympathy there then.
    Seven out of eight not bad result really but blame myself for getting to involved. The location of the box close to the house needs to be changed to stop my involvement but everywhere else in the Garden drew blank. Asking myself do I need the hassle, stress and worry that goes with producing a T i t.
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 554
    Nice read, thanks for sharing. There's something about chicks not making it that I find disproportionately sad compared to other deaths.
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 313
    The harshness of life!

Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?” Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie and I am the painful truth.” The best gift in life is life itself — don’t let it wilt and wither like a flower, embrace it.
  • Options
    Thank you Guys got the box out the shed all nice and dry gave it coat of fence post dark oak and hung it back on the wall ........ where it was.
    Surprising what happens after few Beers. Hic !
  • Options
    Trukin Banksy......

• Options
    Never-before-seen photos believed to show Banksy emerge

• Options
    Man admits brazen £350 dine and dash fraud from two London restaurants.
    Have you got three days' worth of tinned food and water? Govt tells Britons to prepare for shortages .....
    That should start a Stampede....
  • Options
    Yummy ! Koalas have fingerprints.

• Options
    The Wife was shocked when I told her Frank Ifield had passed she loved Frankie and has all his record some nights nothing on the telly she'll put on Cliff or Frank for the evening ..... She would say franks " I remember you " was about her, LOL , so while she was making the tea I would hide this one in the stack ......

https://youtu.be/LybSS4amIS0
  • Options

Costa Rica has made history by closing its two state zoos, complying with a law that prohibits government-funded captivity of wild animals. This move, which took more than a decade to come to fruition due to legal challenges, marks a milestone in wildlife protection in the country.
  • Options
    Pussycat Drink....... don't believe the hype.!

• Options
  • Options
    To Labour......