You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Why

Comments

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,665
    The White Light will get the Green Light 2026

Really simple really just follow the car in front when you get a white light. ?
  • Options
    Giant Goldfish are taking over our Rivers........ spooky !

• Options
    These were abundant when I used to Fish and on every Anglers hook then all of a sudden they disappeared and bream & roach took over. Then people put Pike in the Lakes and Ponds and you never got a bite after that, unless you put tracer on and fished for them.

• Options
    Well, we all know that Tourists used to feed the Trafalgar Square Pigeons and they would land on your head and eat seed out of your hand flutter all around you and even poo on you as well.
    Not so " Wood Pigeons" which land in my Garden they're off like a shot if you go near them, so a surprise when one kept landing on a chair under the Gazebo while I sat there, it stayed for few minutes just looking at me, no food on the table to attract it and not bothered with me sitting a foot away.
    This has happened twice this week and took picture this morning ....... not feeding it so very strange. Must be my aftershave. ! Had the camera trying to capture the Sparrows which have returned to the feeder after long absence but they would fly off soon as I got close, the pigeons normally sit under the feeder waiting for seeds the sparrows flick out to fall down.
    Pleased, I've made a new friend you think they are just grey & white but up close they have green & purple on their neck that glitters in the sunlight.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250

Good 'photo Don. Wood pigeons are much-maligned but in fact they are beautiful birds.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,698
    edited June 6
    Tikay10 said:

Good 'photo Don. Wood pigeons are much-maligned but in fact they are beautiful birds.

Agree , i wish they would move out of the way while i'm driving instead of forcing me to stop while they waddle out of the way , dumb birds :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250
    stokefc said:

Tikay10 said:

Agree , i wish they would move out of the way while i'm driving instead of forcing me to stop while they waddle out of the way , dumb birds :)

@stokefc

You are right, they do seem remarkably dumb, especially when loitering in the middle of the road.

• Options
    They are big birds and slow at takeoff their wings make cracking sound like twigs breaking if startled into flight. The one pictured has female mate you can just see in my picture. They will soon be nesting as he's jumped on her few times. cough!
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,322
    goldon said:

Well, we all know that Tourists used to feed the Trafalgar Square Pigeons and they would land on your head and eat seed out of your hand flutter all around you and even poo on you as well.
    Not so " Wood Pigeons" which land in my Garden they're off like a shot if you go near them, so a surprise when one kept landing on a chair under the Gazebo while I sat there, it stayed for few minutes just looking at me, no food on the table to attract it and not bothered with me sitting a foot away.
    This has happened twice this week and took picture this morning ....... not feeding it so very strange. Must be my aftershave. ! Had the camera trying to capture the Sparrows which have returned to the feeder after long absence but they would fly off soon as I got close, the pigeons normally sit under the feeder waiting for seeds the sparrows flick out to fall down.
    Pleased, I've made a new friend you think they are just grey & white but up close they have green & purple on their neck that glitters in the sunlight.

I've got a pair who visit every day they come up to my patio doors and peer in at me (until the dog sees them) they're nice looking not at all like 'normal' pigeons.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,846
    edited June 6
    birds see at 150 frames a second, humans see at 24...... thats why birds always appear to wait till the last minute to get out the way, they see in slow motion compared to humans.........

and another interesting fact, gold fish grow in relation to the water they are in, so the wee gold fish in your tank, would grow to be massive if put in a lake...... that should be fact checked, but its in my brain so musta picked it up from somewhere
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
    edited June 6
    Birds in my garden this year so far
    Robins
    Blue t1ts
    Great t1ts
    Long tailed t1ts
    Gold Finches
    Sparrows
    Pigeons
    Jackdaws
    Magpies

Oh and Henry the hedgehog

My fat balls are struggling to keep up B)
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,698
    VespaPX said:

Birds in my garden this year so far
    Robins
    Blue t1ts
    Great t1ts
    Long tailed t1ts
    Gold Finches
    Sparrows
    Pigeons
    Jackdaws
    Magpies

Oh and Henry the hedgehog

My fat bald head is struggling to keep up B)

Fyp :p
  • Options
    Well, I would be no good as a "WildLife Photographer" still trying to snap a Sparrow every time I check the picture nothing in it .... either moved round the feeder or flown off.
    Not given up ......... yet.!
  • Options
    It's a Sparrow....... yes it is....... mission accomplished. (now for bird of paradise) cough!

• Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,579
    Been enjoying this thread..i also have a blue **** nest in one of my boxes. The parents were insane how many times they appear with food so decided to do an experiment over last 2\3 days.. Sunrise here 4:30am & sunset is 10 pm. Say 17 hours. Set alarm for ( i know sad) 5am & watched for 20 mins. During day done a few 10\20 min watches. Evening, same again.....
    They averaged...4 visits per MINUTE each. Sometimes even as many as 6/7. Thats 4080 visits..avg
    Prob due to fledge soon, so alarm is set for 4am tomoz.
    Oh, and long tailed **** aren't ****...
  • Options
    Glenelg
    My days of getting up at sunrise are over ...... by the time I get up the dawn chorus is over, the sparrows have emptied the feeder and the pigeons sitting under waiting.
    I got too involved with the Bluetits and being the big softy that I am ( so the wife tells me ) cough! it upset me when one died. Box sits empty at the minute.

How parakeets escaped from Zoo Aviary and made Britain their home.

Had flock of these visit my feeder's few years ago they make H e l l of a racket, then like the Sparrows disappeared, nothing spooky.
    Neighbour said, he heard the Council was culling them because of the damage they do to the tree's when building their nests.
    Well, they must still be around as one on it's own flew over the Garden the other day didn't stop.

• Options
    edited June 9
    lucy4
    I've got a pair who visit every day they come up to my patio doors and peer in at me (until the dog sees them) they're nice looking not at all like 'normal' pigeons.

My Dog " Ozzie " just sits there can't be asked to chase them he's getting old like me, his eyes are going his hearing is going his back legs give way when he goes up the stairs.
    He was rescue dog when I got him they said, he was 3 yrs old then so makes him 16yrs vet thinks its about right, gives him a booster injection every now and again but nothing else they can do ..... same for me. !

• Options
    edited June 10
    Does your Banana measure up.......

The surprisingly dark history (and doomed future) of bananas

The banana is the perfect fruit in so many ways, from its nutritional and filling substance to its convenient natural packaging. Most of the world enjoys bananas as part of a regular diet, and yet most people don't know that within the history of banana plantations lies political corruption, **** massacre, and a disease epidemic.

What's more, the banana as we know it today may very well cease to exist within the next 10 years. From a spoil of war, to a weapon of conquest and an abuse of land and labour, the banana's history is surprisingly dark, and the future looks like it may repeat the same mistakes.

Curious to discover more? Click through for everything you need to know about those seemingly innocent supermarket bananas.

Check your Banana. !
    Wife brought home six Bananas ( like Picture ) all perfect on the outside and inside when you peeled them but every one was bad on the inside ...... not bruised some sort of disease in the Plantation. Thought it was just the odd one but having checked the rest they were all bad took them back service till didn't quibble, must be aware of the problem.
  • Options
    Could you please trim your bush........it's not loft insulation.

• Options
    Bananas are radioactive – and other food facts that sound made up.

Cheese is the most stolen food in the world.

Apples contain a lot of air why they float in water.