You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Why

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,322
    VespaPX said:

Could sit and watch t1ts all day B)

Plenty on here...
  • Options
    **** can bring an abundance of entertainment to the garden. With each species having its own colourful plumage and personality traits, they are certainly the bird group you'll want to attract to your outdoor space. The UK is home to 6 breeding species of ****, with many found across the country and a few never flying beyond certain areas. Here is your complete bird guide to the British Tit family, where you will learn their individual traits as well as eating and nesting habits to attract them to your gardens.

Starting with the most easily recognisable member of the family, the Blue Tit. Its vibrant blue wings, tail, and crown, with yellow underparts and greenback, makes this bird easy to spot in any outdoor space. Blue **** are the socialite in the Tit family and tend to flock in groups as they search for food to feed their large families. With 3,300,000 UK breeding pairs, the Blue Tit is one of the most common UK garden birds you're likely to spot on your feeders.

When it comes to eating, Blue **** are particularly fond of Sunflower Hearts, Peanut Granules, and Suet Treats.

The Great Tit is the largest of the UK Tit family. It has a similar plumage to Blue **** but a more yellow tone. It's still easy to tell them apart as, unlike its blue cousin, Great **** have a black cap, black throat, and black stripe down their chest to their tail. Thanks to its larger size, Great **** are the toughest out of the British Tit family and can even be a bit of a bully at bird feeders.

Great **** are easy to please when it comes to food as they are not particularly fussy. The food we see them go for most are Black Sunflower Hearts, Dried Mealworms, and Suet Treats.

https://www.ivelvalleybirdfood.co.uk/blog/bird-feeding/bird-guide-british-tit-family/
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,665
    edited May 11
    Nothing wrong with being a tlt ..... I have two...... plus two feathered soon to be more.!

This morning watching them from the Kitchen window I could see them land on the washing line. Mum tIt has two legs while Dad tlt has only one, well that's what I thought till watching for longer noticed when it landed on the line I could see two legs then it was standing on only one ..... further observation the dad had no claws on his right leg and would raise it up on landing. It would normally fly straight in the box only using the washing line if the female was already in the box and he had to wait.
    Was wondering what misfortune lost it it's claw and razor wire came to mind or the spike strips to deter pigeons awful lot of them running around with no feet.

Busy day for my tlts timed their coming & goings and thirty to fifty second one would be back with a grub in it's beak.
    I was worn out watching, all slowed down in the afternoon sun was hot then.
  • Options
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
    goldon said:

Nothing wrong with being a tlt ..... I have two...... plus two feathered soon to be more.!

This morning watching them from the Kitchen window I could see them land on the washing line. Mum tIt has two legs while Dad tlt has only one, well that's what I thought till watching for longer noticed when it landed on the line I could see two legs then it was standing on only one ..... further observation the dad had no claws on his right leg and would raise it up on landing. It would normally fly straight in the box only using the washing line if the female was already in the box and he had to wait.
    Was wondering what misfortune lost it it's claw and razor wire came to mind or the spike strips to deter pigeons awful lot of them running around with no feet.

Busy day for my tlts timed their coming & goings and thirty to fifty second one would be back with a grub in it's beak.
    I was worn out watching, all slowed down in the afternoon sun was hot then.

May have got it's foot stuck in some wire mesh.
    I have a large garden mirror with decorative metalwork and one bluetit loves his reflection and pecks at the glass.
    Couple of weeks ago it got one leg stuck on the metalwork and i had to go and free it.
  • Options
    Yes,...... there are other reasons for it's deformativity not stopped it adapting and great to see it raise a family. I remember how traumatic it was bring up kids. hic!
    They seem used to us going in & out the back door and the wife hanging the washing on the line while they're on it ... so happy days.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
    goldon said:

Yes,...... there are other reasons for it's deformativity not stopped it adapting and great to see it raise a family. I remember how traumatic it was bring up kids. hic!
    They seem used to us going in & out the back door and the wife hanging the washing on the line while they're on it ... so happy days.

You should keep that private o:)
    toot toot
  • Options
    Those were the days when the front door was double locked. hic!
  • Options
    We are all in awe of Toot Toot as he has handled the TlT 's .... hic!
  • Options
    Blimey those birds were still feeding the chicks at 9-30pm last night starting to get dark.
  • Options
    Notified my Bluetits and their on the case........

Watch out for these garden pests in 2024

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250

@goldon

Am really enjoying these bluetit updates, & I do hope you continue with them.

Nature is so wonderful but many of us take it for granted.
  • Options
    Yes, full on with it now, taken them under my wing and feel responsible the chicks leave the nest safely ...... I can understand why people put cameras in the box as you ( me ) itching to know what stage their at now and how long before flight.
    Like being a Dad again...... hic !
  • Options
    Would be nice but we can't all be David Attenborough travel the World filming exotic birds & Animals. But alas we are mere mortals.

Happy with the wild life that enters my garden from the Woodpecker to the WoodPigeon the Fox to the Hedgehog..... the Cat to the Rat ...... yes they live under my neighbours shed. Mum bluetit is the busiest right now as one leg Dad who was doing two trips to her one over the last three days, think he's wore himself out. They fly so fast not surprised if you blink their gone, business as usual today can't be long now.!
  • Options
    I've got Blue T1ts,Great T1ts,Goldfinches,Robins plus the usual more common birds visiting my food station and they all seem to like Sunflower Hearts it seems to attract them, you can get them in the local pound shops.

• Options
    Have plastic box full of bird seed to use up first plus nuts but will try them .
    probably my neighbours have them and why my feeders are being neglected ... sigh!

• Options
    Why eat Baked beans when there's Steak & chips .... getting close to launch time chick keeps popping it's head out the hole looking around. Big bad world waiting...!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250
    edited May 18
    chick keeps popping it's head out

Typically, if the mother is a bluetit, there'll be between 8 and 12 chicks.
  • Options
    One has been out on the line and gone back in, must be very crowded in there .... Dads back up to speed but Mum gets the bigger grubs. This is costing me Poker Points gonna be another week not in the Free Roll. sigh!

• Options
    Their definitely bluetits butsurely not 8 to twelve chicks at one time, they'll be standing on each other to look out the hole. ? The chick I see is the size of the Mum.