You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

General Election

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,944

Bookmakers are obliged to report it to the GC when an "insider" makes a bet, particularly in Sports, Business or Politics.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,683
    Tikay10 said:

lucy4 said:

Tikay10 said:

Here we go again...

Sunak aide admits placing bet on general election

Allegedly, Mr Williams - who is standing for election in Montgomeryshire & Glyndwr - placed a £100 bet on a July election just three days before Mr Sunak named 4 July as the date.

The UKGC commented;

"If someone uses confidential information in order to gain an unfair advantage when betting, this may constitute an offence of cheating under Section 42 of the Gambling Act, which is a criminal offence."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c722eyxxknro

Can we put it down to a sheer coincidence? I don't think so.

When did we become such an utterly corrupt society?

What were the odds ?

@lucy4

5/1 apparently.

"The £100 bet, which could have led to a £500 payout on odds of 5/1, is believed to have been placed via an online account that would have required the user to provide personal details including their date of birth and debit card. The bookmaker also knows the location of the bet."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/12/rishi-sunaks-closest-aide-placed-bet-on-election-date-days-before-announcement
    Why the **** would you risk your career for £500 it just shows the level of incompetence that is attached to politics now.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,944

^^^ 100% agree. Pure stupidity & greed.

@lucy4
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,853
    Tikay10 said:

lucy4 said:

Tikay10 said:

Here we go again...

Allegedly, Mr Williams - who is standing for election in Montgomeryshire & Glyndwr - placed a £100 bet on a July election just three days before Mr Sunak named 4 July as the date.

The UKGC commented;

"If someone uses confidential information in order to gain an unfair advantage when betting, this may constitute an offence of cheating under Section 42 of the Gambling Act, which is a criminal offence."

What were the odds ?

@lucy4

5/1 apparently.

"The £100 bet, which could have led to a £500 payout on odds of 5/1, is believed to have been placed via an online account that would have required the user to provide personal details including their date of birth and debit card. The bookmaker also knows the location of the bet."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/12/rishi-sunaks-closest-aide-placed-bet-on-election-date-days-before-announcement
    No ambition.
    Only £100, pathetic.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,242
    Apparently Sunak couldn't get a girlfriend when he was younger.
    No woman, no sky.....
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,683
    Some thing I saw earlier...

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,963
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

lucy4 said:

Tikay10 said:

Here we go again...

The UKGC commented;

What were the odds ?

@lucy4

5/1 apparently.

No ambition.
    Only £100, pathetic.
    This was an attempt to inject some humour.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,502
    Tikay10 said:

Bookmakers are obliged to report it to the GC when an "insider" makes a bet, particularly in Sports, Business or Politics.

"Insider" is the key word here.

Because this is Insider Trading.

And if the Conservatives had a scrap of decency left, they would withdraw support for this man.
    Doubleme said:

@lucy4 posted this on the other thread ages ago.
    Debate winner was unclear but Rayner was the one who lost it

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/debate-winner-unclear-rayner-one-211405519.html
    edited June 14
    The Daily Express. So bad.

Look at the Headline. Then read the article.

Labour has been accused of "hiding" an £8.5 Billion tax "trap".
    Whereas the Conservatives are "pledging" to make £17 Billion of tax "cuts". Without anyone saying where this money will come from.

I had no idea that the Conservatives had sole ownership of the Magic Money Tree. Because it is true for all Parties.

If someone gets more. And/or someone pays less. Then someone else has to pay more. Or receive less

I do not believe Labour's claims as to how their plans will be funded. But at least they are trying to say where it will come from. Unlike the Tories.

The Election campaign is past halfway. And the only real surprise to me is just how bad the Tories are doing.

They were always going to lose. But, unless things pick up sharpish, they are heading for Disaster.
    Essexphil said:

The Daily Express. So bad.

Look at the Headline. Then read the article.

Labour has been accused of "hiding" an £8.5 Billion tax "trap".
    Whereas the Conservatives are "pledging" to make £17 Billion of tax "cuts". Without anyone saying where this money will come from.

I had no idea that the Conservatives had sole ownership of the Magic Money Tree. Because it is true for all Parties.

If someone gets more. And/or someone pays less. Then someone else has to pay more. Or receive less

I do not believe Labour's claims as to how their plans will be funded. But at least they are trying to say where it will come from. Unlike the Tories.

The Election campaign is past halfway. And the only real surprise to me is just how bad the Tories are doing.

They were always going to lose. But, unless things pick up sharpish, they are heading for Disaster.

It does look like a Tory disaster.
    I have felt a little sorry for Sunak lately.
    He got a real battering over the D Day incident.
    I dont think you can argue that this was anything but a massive mistake, but I dont think you can question his patriotism.
    Or that much of the mess that we are currently in is not down to him.
    Much of the financial mess we are currently in can be put down to Liz Truss, and Covid.
    He is clearly the best of the recent PMs, but that is not a very high bar.
    I watched the last debate the other night, I didnt watch the first one.
    The verdict seems to be a unanimous clear win for Starmer, but I thought that Sunak seemed to give much more comprehensive, and clearer answers to the questions he was asked.
    I think Labour have plenty of slogans, but few details.
    Ed Conway on Sky is adamant that based on the manifestos, that we will face higher taxation levels under Labour, than the Tories.
    Labour seem to be banking on growth to avoid cuts to public services, or tax increases, although growth is not easily acheivable, as our recent past has proved.
    Did you know that Starmers Dad was a toolmaker, and that he previously ran the CPS, and Sunaks parents worked in the NHS?
    edited June 14
    Labour have a simple way of winning this Election. They only need to promise 1 thing.

That they won't be quite as sh1t as the Tories. That's it.

What surprises me about the Conservative campaign is just how few Senior Tories are doing anything. Who have we seen campaigning for Sunak? Cleverly. Mordaunt. Afolabi. Hunt. That's about it.

Whereas Badenoch, Braverman, Priti Patel and a host of Cabinet Ministers are nowhere to be seen. Because their own political ambitions are best served by a disastrous Election result.
    Essexphil said:

Labour have a simple way of winning this Election. They only need to promise 1 thing.

What surprises me about the Conservative campaign is just how few Senior Tories are doing anything. Who have we seen campaigning for Sunak? Cleverly. Mordaunt. Afolabi. Hunt. That's about it.

Whereas Badenoch, Braverman, Priti Patel and a host of Cabinet Ministers are nowhere to be seen. Because their own political ambitions are best served by a disastrous Election result.

I couldnt disagree.
    The missing Tories would probably put moderate people off them anyway.
    A bit disappointing if we end up paying more tax under Lbour though.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I couldnt disagree.
    It is not the moderate people they are currently losing. They lost a large portion of those under Johnson and Truss. They are currently shedding a lot of their further Right Wing voters to Reform. And an awful lot of Tory MPs and Tory Members are supporting Farage. Who, last time I looked, is not only in a different Party but is looking to take over the Tory Party.

Disloyal bunch. I sincerely hope the next Tory Leader is someone who has actually been Loyal when the Party needs them.

PS. We will pay more tax under Labour. Because the tax bill is forever going up. Under every single Govt. Including the last 14 years while spending on a whole host of things have been neglected. It is the only inevitable result of every election.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I couldnt disagree.
    It is not the moderate people they are currently losing. They lost a large portion of those under Johnson and Truss. They are currently shedding a lot of their further Right Wing voters to Reform. And an awful lot of Tory MPs and Tory Members are supporting Farage. Who, last time I looked, is not only in a different Party but is looking to take over the Tory Party.

Disloyal bunch. I sincerely hope the next Tory Leader is someone who has actually been Loyal when the Party needs them.

PS. We will pay more tax under Labour. Because the tax bill is forever going up. Under every single Govt. Including the last 14 years while spending on a whole host of things have been neglected. It is the only inevitable result of every election.
    Any moderate person will not be keen on the ones that are missing.
    Do you think that Farages popularity is a reflection of how our country has changed?
    According to Ed we will pay more tax under the Tories if they won, but not quite as much as we will pay under labour.