You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Should i of called with pocket fives???

Comments

• Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Should i of called with pocket fives???:
    first of all daveyzz ........... you are bald and short !!!!!! 2nd if you knew he had A2 would you have called ??? im sure you going to say yes ... so how can u be judgemental of your play ??? your call was better than you expected you just got outdraw m8..... cya soon
    Posted by themackem
    lol cheers m8 love the pic by the way,when was that taken?
    about ten stone ago??
  • Options
    Sky_LingSky_Ling Member Posts: 317
    edited June 2009
    OOOOOO this is so good. I'm really looking forward to Thursday's show!

Personally if he limps i'm shoving ;-) -Sometimes they have aces - most of the time that's extra dime in your stack.

Keep posting guys - Tikay and Michelle are gna have a massive task on their hands. - Oh and did I mention books can be won for the best answers!

Cheers Daveyzz!!!!!!
  • Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited June 2009
    Hi LB44,
    This now becomes a totally different animal, because Davey would then have the option of becoming the agressor.
    As he has said he would then raise 50k, thereby giving the other player the tough decision, and giving himself 2 ways of winning the pot. This what i meant by a better situation in one of my earlier posts.
  • Options
    duncthehatduncthehat Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2009
    well done m8 think u where unlucky think ur chances of getting 55 throught r 50?50 a coin flip but cant famthon out ace 8 calling
    Posted by joe759017

It was Q 8 that snap called not ace eight after davey lost with his pocket fives.    The caller had only a couple of thousand more chips as well at the time and basically called for his tournament!!!
  • Options
    LB44LB44 Member Posts: 28
    edited June 2009
    OOOOOO this is so good. I'm really looking forward to Thursday's show! Personally if he limps i'm shoving ;-) -Sometimes they have aces - most of the time that's extra dime in your stack. Keep posting guys - Tikay and Michelle are gna have a massive task on their hands. - Oh and did I mention books can be won for the best answers! Cheers Daveyzz!!!!!!
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    Hopefully my 4am "post" ( essay lol) giving a free masterclass of later tournament strategy after 5 hours of sit and go's maybe worth my effort hehehe :) I love reading and studying poker books....

I wholeheartly reccommend anybody to read Dan Harrington's Vol 1 and 2 on Tournament strategy. Very good read!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hi LB44, This now becomes a totally different animal, because Davey would then have the option of becoming the agressor. As he has said he would then raise 50k, thereby giving the other player the tough decision, and giving himself 2 ways of winning the pot. This what i meant by a better situation in one of my earlier posts.
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Totally agree with you, get your chips in first, put the tough decision to them and increase your chances of winning the pot by 50%. But dont do it too often!! It all depends on your table image for these risky plays to work as to be honest , you dont want any action when you hold 55! The best outcome would be adding a nice 24k to your stack uncontested.
  • Options
    N1CKN1CK Member Posts: 1,453
    edited June 2009
    iIn Response to Should i of called with pocket fives???:
    Hi all just asking  opinions on my penultimate hand in the sky final at dtd. everyone folds to the small blind and he pushes all in on me in the big blind,i look down at pocket fives and we have a chip count its 102k to call and i have 170k,i suspect he is on a steal but also realise he could have two overcards,after thinking for a short while i call he shows ace two of diamonds,so i only have to dodge one overcard but the inevitable happens and he spikes an ace on turn,the next hand gets folded to me in small blind and i push for 74k on a 10kblind with 1k antes(25k in the pot) and bb instantly calls. do you think i should of folded my fives and do you think the bb should of folded his hand (he had q8 and hit an 8). my reasoning for making a fairly loose call is that it would of put me into second place with a real possibility of winning the tourny
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    m
  • Options
    N1CKN1CK Member Posts: 1,453
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Should i of called with pocket fives???:
    Hi all just asking  opinions on my penultimate hand in the sky final at dtd. everyone folds to the small blind and he pushes all in on me in the big blind,i look down at pocket fives and we have a chip count its 102k to call and i have 170k,i suspect he is on a steal but also realise he could have two overcards,after thinking for a short while i call he shows ace two of diamonds,so i only have to dodge one overcard but the inevitable happens and he spikes an ace on turn,the next hand gets folded to me in small blind and i push for 74k on a 10kblind with 1k antes(25k in the pot) and bb instantly calls. do you think i should of folded my fives and do you think the bb should of folded his hand (he had q8 and hit an 8). my reasoning for making a fairly loose call is that it would of put me into second place with a real possibility of winning the tourny
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    i think the best play is to fold here, i can understand you want to gamble and build your stack but you should really wait for a better spot, at best you can only be racing here, if the seats were reversed i dont mind pushing this hand but id be only looking at taking the blinds and antes, these hands dont play well post flop so your not looking for action
  • Options
    Blight1Blight1 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2009
    Just seen this hand being talked about on skypoker tv,im folding the pocket 5s all day everyday in tht situation, in fact i wouldnt even think about it, better situation bound to come round to get ur chips in imo
  • Options
    mickjenn1mickjenn1 Member Posts: 740
    edited June 2009
    some1 tell me wat booniedogs smokin so she keeps rantin on about cash and how she plays alls these tables WHO CARES.............. were on about a proper comp here boonie 45 min blids is hardly a donkfest, anyway dave i fold m8 but it was ur choice you must of doin somethin right 2 get where u did. keep up the good work likkle man  P.S ur round at the next event haah 
  • Options
    T_ForceT_Force Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2009
    In the Open this is a call, in an online tourney with 10 or even 12 minute blinds this is likely a call, but in a live tourney with 45 minute blinds? What's the rush? How would you feel afterwards when you look back at the tourney and you realise you lost half your stack with pocket 5's before tilting the rest off the very next hand? Given that you have an average enough stack, there's no pressure on you to call with such a marginal hand.

And what if you get dealt QQ in the next hand and your all-in gets called by the big stack with AK and your QQ holds? You're back where you started, when you could have been right up there with the chip leaders if you hadn't squandered your stack with lousy pocket fives! (happens to me all the time anyway)

I would however say this - the showdown value of snappo-calling (like VirusXXX would) with a FIST pump is great as long as you then hit a run of cards! Why? Because a lot of players will have you pegged as a loose donk. Now when you shove with your AA in early position, you get called by two players and you win bundles and bundles of lovely chips AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wat was u position in the tourney at the time daveyzz?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    shoe in for the tshirt m8, good thread
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the kind words on last night's show tikay.

Liam
  • Options
    Sky_LingSky_Ling Member Posts: 317
    edited June 2009
    Just want to say a huge thank you to all of you who contributed to the show last night.
    Tikay has reviewed all the answers sent in and decided that Ian Chapman's was most impressive, and therefore he takes the winners prize of 3 poker books. Great for downtime reading during the summer holiday ;-)

Two other Sky poker viewers who gave Ian a run for his money were Nicholas Stinson and Colin Wallace: As a bonus runner up prize we will also be sending Nicholas and Colin some token gifts too.

Thanks to all who entered!

Aisling
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,027
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the kind words on last night's show tikay. Liam
    Posted by LB44
    My pleasure Liam - I really like your style of playing & writing.

It's really hard to fathom how anyone would even dream of Calling in this spot with 5-5, but we all play the game different, & both plays (Pass or Call) have their merits.*

* Except the Call with 5-5.

PS - Terms & Conditions apply.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,027
    edited June 2009

Many congrats to the book Winners - Ian has 3 Books on the way, & Nicholas Stinson & Colin Wallace both have "some stuff" on the way.

Did you know, by the way, that "Sky-Ling" is the Ladies World Pokler Champion? We are M-I-G-H-T-Y proud of her.
  • Options
    DAVEYZZDAVEYZZ Member Posts: 1,651
    edited June 2009
    wat was u position in the tourney at the time daveyzz?
    Posted by Blight1
    hi m8 i was about 8th out of 16
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Should i of called with pocket fives??? : hi m8 i was about 8th out of 16
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    wot paid? still think its a bad call but if u thinkin "going 4 the win"then maybe understandble, but if u thought tht there would be no thread
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Should i of called with pocket fives??? : My pleasure Liam - I really like your style of playing & writing. It's really hard to fathom how anyone would even dream of Calling in this spot with 5-5, but we all play the game different, & both plays (Pass or Call) have their merits.* * Except the Call with 5-5. PS - Terms & Conditions apply.
    Posted by Tikay10
    gotta luv the old fool :)