You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Poor Etiquette in deep stack

13»

Comments

• Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poor Etiquette in deep stack:
    hi oz--i figured out a fairer way  one time in a satellite 4 d open--i knew i wouldnt be back in time to play in it so i told the table they can all have 500 chips each if they call my raise in turn--so the man to my left calls the 500 raise and i fold on the flop without even checking--then the next man-and so on--obviously they all have to agree--someone said-"but what if i get aces and its not my turn"?--i said if anyone gets aa-kk or qq--just say "big one" in the chat box and we'll change the order  ---no-one did so it worked out fine and everyone got 500 chips---i think it was fairer than login out because an away player can also ruin the game play when the blinds get bigger--- also --i thought--if i just keep going all in i might knock  out someone with a-k with a silly hand and really pee them off--what you think?
    Posted by oynutter
    if i was on your table nutter i would say 'big one' every hand lol
  • Options
    Ozzie08Ozzie08 Member Posts: 963
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poor Etiquette in deep stack : if i was on your table nutter i would say 'big one' every hand lol
    Posted by loonytoons
    Lol
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poor Etiquette in deep stack : if i was on your table nutter i would say 'big one' every hand lol
    Posted by loonytoons
    yes but then you are loonytoons-lol----if someone did it twice i would have folded and let them play that one out--it worked fine on that occasion--mainly because it was a satellite, and near the bubble---obviously a retire button would be ideal--but as yet theres been no response to that idea from the big boys
  • Options
    evacuee39evacuee39 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2009

IN live pokertuons in Vegas if you tell or show your hand during play the hand is dead and do it again

and you are 8 6  from most card rooms I used to deal poer in veags until about 10years ago

evacuee39
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2009
    There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments. Twice recently two players in deep stacks i have been involved in have stayed away for at least an hour after amassing a big stack at the start. One moneyed despite never coming back as the proper players knocked themselves out  and the other returned after an hour just as they were getting to money winning positions. You should not be able to use away button to benefit. Full stop. Sort it that any body out for over an hour loses there chips, i dont care who to!!!!    
  • Options
    razorkevrazorkev Member Posts: 1,364
    edited September 2009
    There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments. Twice recently two players in deep stacks i have been involved in have stayed away for at least an hour after amassing a big stack at the start. One moneyed despite never coming back as the proper players knocked themselves out  and the other returned after an hour just as they were getting to money winning positions. You should not be able to use away button to benefit. Full stop. Sort it that any body out for over an hour loses there chips, i dont care who to!!!!    
    Posted by vaigret
    INTERESTING.

TBH ITS A PLAYERS RITES IF HE WANTS TO SIT OUT BUT HE OR SHE MAY HAVE CONNECTION PROBS?/
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2009

can understand connection problems but pretty certain these are tactical rather than anything to do with the internet. Sorry if people think using the away button to win in tournies is ok , I try to use my limited skill at the tables and restrict the away button to cups of tea. I obviously need to find some new skills.

• Options
    SoLackSoLack Member Posts: 2,736
    edited September 2009
    As I was walking down the stair,

I saw a man who wasn't there.

He wasn't there again today …

I wish that man would go away!
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited September 2009
    I have had exactly the same happen to me in a sit & go when the player typed in the chatbox 'Didn't mean to enter this one, I am all in every hand' and then annouced what cards he had each time.
    I think it is wrong to annonce the cards you are holding during while the hand is in play.
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited September 2009
    Posted by vaigret
    i agree very poor play
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited September 2009

Hi Guys,

Someone Posted....

".....There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments. Twice recently two players in deep stacks i have been involved in have stayed away for at least an hour after amassing a big stack at the start....."

You can NOT win any Tourney be sitting out - at some stage, you have to sit in, or you'll be Blinded away, no matter how big your stack is.

In Live Poker, players can choose whether to Sit-Out or not. There is no Rule against it, as long as their Blinds are Posted. That is a situatiuon which is universal, the world over.

In Online Poker, again, I don't know a single Online Site which prohiobits players from "Sitting-Out", & I think I'm registered on over 30 Online Sites.

I'm not aware of any Rule, anywhere, Live or Online, which prohibits or forbids Sitting Out, so long as the Blinds (& Antes where applicable) are paid.

I agree it can be frustrating, but as long as players play within the Rules - & Sitting Out is wholly within the Rules AFAIK - there is nothing that can be done about it.

Personally, I would not want to see anything done about it either - players pay their Entry Free, & as long as they act within the Rules, can do as they want. Players "AWAY" suits me, it gives me easy Blinds to nick. Buit I do see that we might not all think the same on that.

This is NOT, though, a Sky Poker issue. It's just the Rules of Poker, worldwide.
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited September 2009
    Hi Guys, Someone Posted.... ".....There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments. Twice recently two players in deep stacks i have been involved in have stayed away for at least an hour after amassing a big stack at the start....." You can NOT win any Tourney be sitting out - at some stage, you have to sit in, or you'll be Blinded away, no matter how big your stack is. In Live Poker, players can choose whether to Sit-Out or not. There is no Rule against it, as long as their Blinds are Posted. That is a situatiuon which is universal, the world over. In Online Poker, again, I don't know a single Online Site which prohiobits players from "Sitting-Out", & I think I'm registered on over 30 Online Sites. I'm not aware of any Rule, anywhere, Live or Online, which prohibits or forbids Sitting Out, so long as the Blinds (& Antes where applicable) are paid. I agree it can be frustrating, but as long as players play within the Rules - & Sitting Out is wholly within the Rules AFAIK - there is nothing that can be done about it. Personally, I would not want to see anything done about it either - players pay their Entry Free, & as long as they act within the Rules, can do as they want. Players "AWAY" suits me, it gives me easy Blinds to nick. Buit I do see that we might not all think the same on that. This is NOT, though, a Sky Poker issue. It's just the Rules of Poker, worldwide.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Spot on. The head of the nail has been hit.

• Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited September 2009
    "There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments."

Brilliant!  That's the funniest thing I've read in ages!!!

At least I now know what I've been doing wrong all these years...I haven't been ticking the away button enough :-)

Tikay's on the money, as usual.  'Nuff said!

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited September 2009
    "There is no doubt that a number of players are using the away button to win in tournaments." Brilliant!  That's the funniest thing I've read in ages!!! At least I now know what I've been doing wrong all these years...I haven't been ticking the away button enough :-) Tikay's on the money, as usual.  'Nuff said!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    +1

There have been several threads complaining about people sitting out - it boggles my mind.

I don't claim to be the world's best but I'd like to think that I've got a decent shot at beating someone who isn't even there.

On another thread, I commented that I once cashed in a DYM without being present. I had connection problems and I got to the table just in time to go ai pf on the 22nd hand with AQ against the two remaining players and lose to 24o or something similar. I'd like to think that there were three "set over set" confrontations or something similar previously but I somehow doubt it.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Phil Hellmuth Jnr, arguably the world's greatest Tourney player (according to him, though he does have 11 WSOP Bracelets to back his claim) spends hours away from the Table, in every Tourney he plays. That's no different to "sitting out" Online.

When I play Deepstacks on Sky Poker - & I'm "OK" at them - I often go for whole Levels, sometimes 3 or 4 Levels, without playing a single hand.

I get mocked for it, of course - mercilessly! - but what's the difference between that, & Sitting -Out?

The point is, at the sharp end, they, we, me, HAVE to play, or we get Blinded away.

You cannot win a regular MTT by Sitting-Out. It's just not possible.

Players just have to develop strategies to combat "away" players. Like helping yourself to their Blinds!

I actually enjoy it when a Player is "AWAY", because it adds a new dynamic to the play - because everyone is trying to find a way to pick up that dead money.*

*Which, particularly in a 6-seater, is considerable. 16.6% of the Blinds are there for the taking!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have had exactly the same happen to me in a sit & go when the player typed in the chatbox 'Didn't mean to enter this one, I am all in every hand' and then annouced what cards he had each time. I think it is wrong to annonce the cards you are holding during while the hand is in play.
    Posted by apollo_11
    You are 100% corrrect.

That is against the Rules & if you see it, you should Report them to CS.

It affects the play of the whole Table, & is wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Poor Etiquette in deep stack : You are 100% corrrect. That is against the Rules & if you see it, you should Report them to CS. It affects the play of the whole Table, & is wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Posted by Tikay10
    well said tikay--it is wrong and people should be chat banned for doing it