You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Cricket world cup - preview, and DOH's bets.

DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
edited April 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat
To win the tournament?

England having a mare down under has seen them drift from 5/1 to 8/1. But the team is abit of a mess, with injuries, the batting order unsettled etc etc, but you never know....I'll of course be having a tenner on them, but I wouldn't advise you put the rent money on em.

India are gonna be so hard to beat, but they're just too short at 11/4.

Pakistan always start badly, before coming on strong, and they "will" make the quarter finals, so if you fancy a bet on them I would wait till they drift from 8/1 to 12/1 after getting thrashed in their first game.

Australia of course will be there or there abouts, and you will get a good run for your money if you take the 11/2 about them. But I hope none of you touch them!!! No matter how good their price is.

I never back anyone but England in this market, and this time, the competition is so wide open, that I'm not even gonna suggest a bet for you guys, unless you are a serious punter with plenty of money and wanna stick 3 figures on the Indians.........

So shall look for some value elsewhere.....

DOHHHHHHH's main bet.

I've been running really well at poker throughout January, so I;m going to have £50 on my main bet, £10 on England to win it outright, and £5 on the 3 bets below to take my total outlay to £75. Not bad for 3+ weeks of bettng entertainment, althought it might sting abit when I have to click "place bet"! lol

My main bet is a double, Tamim Iqbal to be the top run scorer for Bangladesh, @ 9/4, and Chris Gayle to be the top runscorer for the West Indies @ 12/5.

2 of the most exciting batsment in world cricket, both open the batting, when the ball is hard, and coming on to the bat, the fielding restrictions in place, and they will both have license to thrill to get their side off to a flier.

Both stand out as easily the star man in their respective batting line ups, which could well collapse around them. I really can't see either of these bets failing.

I've never had anything like £50 on a 10/1 double before, but I'm very confident with these selections.

If anyone wants a shorter price, to stake so much, I would take the 9/4 on tamim, or if you want a bigger price, I've suggested a multiple below.

Top tournament batsmen.

This is an outstanding bet imo. The West Indies might well play 1/2 less games than some teams, but they're the kinda team who can turn up on the day and beat anyone.

Chris Gayle has said he's coming out to win the world cup for his country single handedly. He seems really up for it and he could well blast 200 in an innings against one of the minor teams.

25/1 is a ridiculous price. - Get on it.

Top tournament bowler

Very tricky market this one, but the South African leg spinner, Imran Tahir has the x factor to take tonnes of wickets in these conditions, and again, 28/1 is too big.

Long-shot.

Top run scorer for their team....

Gayle (wi), De Villiers (sa) T,Iqbal (bangladesh) -  54/1 trebble. (If like me you are optimistic, and patriotic, add KP for 220/1)

Enjoy the cricket guys !!!!

Comments

• Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited February 2011
    I am a massive cricket fan too. I like the look of your main bet. Tamim Iqbal is a great player to watch, he played a couple of great innings on Bangladesh's last tour of England. I think I will have some money on the double, it's a great price. 

P.S Hope I haven't put the mockers on it now. Good luck with all your bets.

• Options
    edited February 2011

You had a look at the markets yet splashies?

I like the batsman v batsman bets, you get plenty of entertainment out of them, and they make the less attractive games very watchable.

Couldn't find the market on '365', will have a look around today.

-----------------------

I'm gutted at the state of Englands ODI team coming into the world cup, the thought process 2 years ago was all about "looking forward to the world cup"

And it gets here, and we're in a total mess.

I mean they're gonna open with KP it seems, when he's never opened in a ODI before!!!

I love the idea, but come on, why not open with him in Australia?

Eoin Morgan was gonna be a superstar in India, he's a massive loss !!!!!!!

8/1 is still a rubbish price for the mess we're in, gotta keep the faith though ant ya !!!

And TROTT needs to get a move on !!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No not really had a look yet. You're right, those kind of bets are far more entertaining.

As regards for England, I'm glad Prior isn't opening because it just doesn't work for him. He is much more suited to finishing off an innings. We will see how KP gets on opening, I would prefer Trott to open though and say to him, "Just bat 50 overs mate," with KP in at 3. We never have been a successful team when we try to "pinch hit" in the first 15 overs. 

Morgan is a big loss, his shot making works a treat on the slow, low pitches in the sub-continent. Lets hope Bopara steps up to the plate. We also need Collingwood to find a bit of form with the bat and I really like Bell at 4. Lets hope it all clicks into place.
  • Options
    shazallinshazallin Member Posts: 558
    edited February 2011
    Top Batsman - Kumar Sangakkara 22/1

Top Bowler - Shaun Tait 25/1

Winner - Sri Lanka 9/2

Well so the hubby says anyway I know nothing about Cricket!!

Shaz
    xx
  • Options
    simuksimuk Member Posts: 315
    edited February 2011
    Great post mate and glad someone else will be watching as avidly as I will!

The Tamim bet is inspired and will be backing that one myself. 

Also I think backing India at 4.0 now will certainly lead to a trading opportunity later as their price will surely shorten to around 3.2/3.3 after the group stages. 

I also think that backing India in the "total highest 10 overs market" will be profitable at 5.5, given they have Sehwag (at home he is the beast of all beasts) and Gambhir is a properly fast scorer in India too. 

As for England... well backing them to win seems a little futile imo even at 8/1. Just can't see it happening I am afraid :( but blind faith is always worth a punt!

Also, Mendis being top bowler at 25/1 is a great price as he will cause problems on the dusty tracks. 

Will post more when I think of it now doubt!

• Options
    simuksimuk Member Posts: 315
    edited February 2011
    No match to end in a tie = 1.4. 

What you guys think?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not farmiliar with decimal odds sim.....

1.4 = 14/10 = 7/5????

It's abit hit n miss that bet too, I guess it's a "value bet".......but you couldn't really be confident making it?

You didn't comment on the bet of Imran Tahir to be top wicket taker............

Is that because of how tricky the market is? - Obv that has alot to do with luck also, but he could rip through a tail.......

The more I think about that bet, the more I like it. 

May have to stretch my budget, all bets will be placed when I close tables down tonight at around 4am (could be dangerous opening sky bet on a Friday night!!!)

May inrease my stake on Tahir and main bet if I run good.

I agree with you about England, they're just in such a mess. It was worth it for the Ashes though.
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited February 2011
    I know very little about cricket but the one thing a mate of mine told me was to trust a Yorkshireman when it comes to this game.

So with that in mind I'm gonna lump a little bit on that top run scorer double @ 10/1 & see where we go.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Cricket world cup - preview, and DOH's bets.:
    Great post mate and glad someone else will be watching as avidly as I will! The Tamim bet is inspired and will be backing that one myself.  Also I think backing India at 4.0 now will certainly lead to a trading opportunity later as their price will surely shorten to around 3.2/3.3 after the group stages.  I also think that backing India in the "total highest 10 overs market" will be profitable at 5.5, given they have Sehwag (at home he is the beast of all beasts) and Gambhir is a properly fast scorer in India too.  As for England... well backing them to win seems a little futile imo even at 8/1. Just can't see it happening I am afraid :( but blind faith is always worth a punt! Also, Mendis being top bowler at 25/1 is a great price as he will cause problems on the dusty tracks.  Will post more when I think of it now doubt!
    Posted by simuk
    Yes mate it's a very good trading opportunity but you need big stakes to show decent profit (obv not a problem for you.) 

I think Mendis is a great shout and i think Sri Lanka will win it.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I know very little about cricket but the one thing a mate of mine told me was to trust a Yorkshireman when it comes to this game. So with that in mind I'm gonna lump a little bit on that top run scorer double @ 10/1 & see where we go.
    Posted by silentbob
    Good choice sir i have put £20 on it
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Good start for Tamim, top scoring with 70.

It's a shame he couldn't kick on.

Uncharacteristic innings by him, he normally gets off to a flier. But hey ho, runs are runs, I don't care if he takes 200 balls, if he keeps getting 70 everytime I'm in with a shout !
  • Options
    wilco40wilco40 Member Posts: 119
    edited February 2011

You convinced me with the Gayle bet DOH!!!  I have been thinking about backing him as top runs scorer and got 33/1 in the end.  Lets hope he backs up his comments.

• Options
    edited February 2011
    You convinced me with the Gayle bet DOH!!!  I have been thinking about backing him as top runs scorer and got 33/1 in the end.  Lets hope he backs up his comments.
    Posted by wilco40
    Good luck with that, it will be tough with Sehwag having a huge head start now.
  • Options
    godsluck88godsluck88 Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2011
    I've been looking at a few scorecards and betting etc and its been rare to see a run out so decided to back under 1.5 run outs in the newz/ kenya + aussie/zim matches same price both games 4/7. Yes it short but maybe if you can get it into a double? Its the same price for englands game tmorrow 4/7. Lets hope ifor the same!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's a comedy of errors in the field for England. I've never seen anything like it. Tough chase now of 293 to win. Come on boys.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thought it might not be such a bad thing, if we could come in and nock em off within 40 overs, like any of the best teams would do.

But ofc Trott decided to bore the audience to death again.

Disappointed with Pieterson :(
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thought it might not be such a bad thing, if we could come in and nock em off within 40 overs, like any of the best teams would do. But ofc Trott decided to bore the audience to death again. Disappointed with Pieterson :(
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    We won!!! It's a shame Pietersen can't bat against slow left armers. I take it you're not in the Trott fan club then. I like having him in the side and 62 off 65 today wasn't too shabby.

However, I fear for us on Sunday against India.
  • Options
    jesusdog22jesusdog22 Member Posts: 348
    edited February 2011
    we got very lucky today but we brought it on ourselves with the ridiculous team selection...on the fast bouncy oz wickets we play 2 spinners and then we come to the indian dustbowls and play 1!!!

the decision not to play yardy is an aboration.i also am slightly perplexed why anderson is there...name me once when he has bowled well in india
  • Options
    godsluck88godsluck88 Member Posts: 31
    edited February 2011
    I've been looking at a few scorecards and betting etc and its been rare to see a run out so decided to back under 1.5 run outs in the newz/ kenya + aussie/zim matches same price both games 4/7. Yes it short but maybe if you can get it into a double? Its the same price for englands game tmorrow 4/7. Lets hope ifor the same!
    Posted by godsluck88

Yet another winning bet. very short price but still a winner. Thats 3 games in a row this bet has come in. Tmorrows game between pak vs ken is priced at 4/6 for under 1.5 run outs!
  • Options
    JIMMYMADJIMMYMAD Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2011
    Sri Lanka 4/1

I think its a great bet, with the spinners that they have got e.g. Murali, Mendis and part time off spin from Dilshan. Sri Lanka will be a real threat in this tournament and the likes of Sangakarra, Dilshan, Thuranga and Jayawardanna at the top of the order.