You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Snooker World Championship

kaymackaymac Member Posts: 1,437
edited May 2011 in Sports & Betting Chat

The snore fest that is the World championship snooker starts next weekend, who does anyone fancy?

5 - 1 the field at the moment so there is money to be made.

John Higgins is the obvious favourite but I reckon Mark Allen and Mark Selby both have the game to run him close. The Rocket is out of form and given the length of the games, not sure if there are many others suited to the format.

I reckon Higgins at 5 - 1 may be good value and Allen at 25s is a good e w

Fill your boots, lads and lasses

Keith

Comments

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2011

Been looking forward to this thread!!!

I nearly made it a week or so ago when I had my first bet!!

Stephan Lee @ 80/1!!!!

It sounds a ridic thing to say about a snooker tournament, but there is a major doubt about his fitness over these long games!!!

But the guy has unbelievable talent !!! 

He also looks like my poker avatar!

:)
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited April 2011

I got a feeling we will have a first Asian winner in Ding Junghui. I think Robertson will have a great chance aswel. Not sure which one to go for though.

You can get 4/1 on the nationality of the winner to be "Rest of the World", which I believe is Ding Junghui, Neil Roberston and Marco Fu.

What do you think? Take the 4/1 or put two singles on Robertson and Ding who are both around 8/1?

• Options
    AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited April 2011
     In Response to Re: Snooker World Championship:
    Been looking forward to this thread!!! I nearly made it a week or so ago when I had my first bet!! Stephan Lee @ 80/1!!!! It sounds a ridic thing to say about a snooker tournament, but there is a major doubt about his fitness over these long games!!! But the guy has unbelievable talent !!!  He also looks like my poker avatar! :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    He's a fantastic potter with a great cue action. Can't ever see him winning this though but worth a little punt for an outsider.

Can only see Higgins winning it this year. Robertson, Selby and Allen would be my other tips. Williams and Murphy maybe worth a little money too.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Been looking forward to this thread!!! I nearly made it a week or so ago when I had my first bet!! Stephan Lee @ 80/1!!!! It sounds a ridic thing to say about a snooker tournament, but there is a major doubt about his fitness over these long games!!! But the guy has unbelievable talent !!!  He also looks like my poker avatar! :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I agree Lee is an amazing player, but the draw has not been kind to him, he plays Higgins first round and he is a notorious slow starter, whereas Higgins is a grinder.

And after his six month holiday, he won the UK and will want to stick another two fingers up to the suits!! 
  • Options
    andybuckandybuck Member Posts: 652
    edited April 2011
    stephen lee not as good as he was 8yr ago,,,selby my bet as a semi pro sportsman my self and captain of my county team i recognise talent and bottle,and lee has only one of them dohhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    edited April 2011

I loooove the World Snooker Championship and here is my two pennies worth...

I believe a left hander will win it....Robertson/Williams or Ronnie. 

Anyone know where I could lay a bet on this? I remember putting  £5 e/w on Robertson when he was about 150/1 in his 1st appearance. I knew he had potential back then and it would be only a matter of time.

Not sure about Lee's chances ....hope you have it e/w JJ. The 'rest of the world' bet looks good. Will this include Williams as he is Welsh? :))

Selby has some game with no fear and will be in the mix. He is from a pool background and he switched to snooker with ease.

My mini claim to fame....not sure of the year. I enter the 'shot of the championship' competition every year and one year I was one of only 17 people in the whole country who predicted the correct result. I didnt win the main prize though :(

• Options
    AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited April 2011
    It's great living in the city that this is hosted in.

Anybody that likes snooker but has never been you really should get tickets to a match or two.

The atmosphere in there is so tense.

• Options
    shazallinshazallin Member Posts: 558
    edited April 2011
    £2e/w Judd Trump 40/1 - Won in china last week, on good form but tough first round match against defending champ.

£2e/w Matthew Stevens 66/1 - Been in good form this year, apart from in China, was actually told to back him there to win it, and advised to have a cheeky bet form him to beat hendry in first round 5-0, he lost 5-0 lol but sticking with him.

£2e/w Stephen Maguire 28/1 - When on top form hes a match for anyone, like backing maguire

£8 win Ding Junhui 9/1 - Class Act, sure to go close

Shaz
    xxx
  • Options
    YOUNG_GUNYOUNG_GUN Member Posts: 8,948
    edited April 2011
    heres mine sorry didnt see this thread

£10 to win outright     ...... Shaun Murphy @ 14/1 = return £150(including stake) Great Value imo get on it!

£5 Accumalator........... Mark Selby Win v Jimmy Robertson
                                           John Higgins Win v Stephen Lee
                                           Graeme Dott Win v Mark King
                                           Peter Ebdon win v Stuart Bingham
                                           Ronnie O Sullivan win v Dominic Dale
                                           Ding Junhui Win v Jamie Burnett
                                           Shaun Murphy win v Marcus Campbell(aka Dohhhh ;) )
                                           Mark Williams win v Ryan Day
                                          Ali Carter win v Dave Harrold
                                          Jamie Cope win v Andrew Pagett

Total win: £59. something :)

Stephen lee has no chance, look who he's playing in first round, ronnie not enough value imo he is too miss at mo as much as i love the guy!

If Murphy doesnt win which i strongly think he will others who can win: Mark Selby, John Higgins and Ding ding ;)  unfortunately although robertsons game is solid i think its too big an ask to win back to back with such good standard

• Options
    macapacamacapaca Member Posts: 658
    edited April 2011
    Steven maguire to win it i have bet £50 on him to win it @28/1, he is a top playe when on form and i think he will come in to his own over the next 2 weeks
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I did think thats not a bad long shot macapaca gl shud get good run for money
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I did think thats not a bad long shot macapaca gl shud get good run for money
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    depends on who he plays in the next round, hope it's not Burnett !!!!! lol
  • Options
    wynne1938wynne1938 Member Posts: 20,527
    edited April 2011
    It's great living in the city that this is hosted in. Anybody that likes snooker but has never been you really should get tickets to a match or two. The atmosphere in there is so tense.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    I recently saw Higgins win the Welsh Open, he was very good.
    But if you bet Higgins to win at 5/1 and reat of the world to win at 4/1 , you cannot lose, so that is what I will do£20 laid £5o/£60 return.
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited April 2011
    Right after much deliberation i went for DING @ 7/1. I know you can get 8/1 elsewhere, but i used a free £10 on hills.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

And the curse of the 1st time champion strikes again

Robertson out, Trump played well but struggled a bit when nearing the line, may be a better bet for next year

Murphy is looking good so far !!!
  • Options
    shazallinshazallin Member Posts: 558
    edited April 2011
    £2e/w Judd Trump 40/1 - Won in china last week, on good form but tough first round match against defending champ. £2e/w Matthew Stevens 66/1 - Been in good form this year, apart from in China, was actually told to back him there to win it, and advised to have a cheeky bet form him to beat hendry in first round 5-0, he lost 5-0 lol but sticking with him. £2e/w Stephen Maguire 28/1 - When on top form hes a match for anyone, like backing maguire £8 win Ding Junhui 9/1 - Class Act, sure to go close Shaz xxx
    Posted by shazallin
    Good start there, wobbled a bit but all good experience for him
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I said to Dohhhh stay away from robertson match as have feeling he will lose :)

so far 4 in 4 in acc.... whos gonna bugggger me up lol
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I said to Dohhhh stay away from robertson match as have feeling he will lose :) so far 4 in 4 in acc.... whos gonna bugggger me up lol
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    My worry would be O Sullivan, he wanted to withdraw before the start of the weekend and he hasn't won a ranking match for four tourneys...... but it's his fave venue and competition!!!!
  • Options
    SALT1R3SALT1R3 Member Posts: 319
    edited April 2011
    I can't get into the snooker now, just bored of it these days. Used to watch the big tournies a lot but its like watching paint dry now for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Salt then dont post in the snooker thread............ lol

Yeah Ronnie is a bit dodgy but lets hope he turns up as heard about he was gonna withdraw big sham he'll prob retire for year or 2 after the Worlds