You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Site becoming unplayable, lag/dload/forum navigation issues.....

13»

Comments

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Site becoming unplayable, lag/dload/forum navigation issues.....:
    In Response to Re: Site becoming unplayable, lag/dload/forum navigation issues..... : A speedtest isn't much use here as the ISP's having problems are having trouble with certains routes you're connection takes to get to sky poker.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Agreed. Sorry, Gary, speedtest is pretty meaningless here.

Fortunately I've experienced no problems at all during all this. I use 'BE Broadband' having moved away from the truly awful TT earlier this year.

Hope whatever the problem is gets identified soon! Glad I'm not one of the engineers trying to find it....... would be too many external factors beyond my control.

• GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited September 2011
    OK, fair enough, the speed test means nothing. However, if there was a useability test available I can promise you Sky Poker would score a miserable fail.

There's no point me playing while tables won't load and the forum is almost impossible to navigate during peak times. For example, it took 5 minutes to load this page. We've tried everything; download/different browsers/uninstalling and reinstalling/clearing cookies/4 different systems/firewall off/clearing cookies/restarting/etc., nothing helps. 

When I phone my ISP I get a foreign call centre who give stock scripted answers making useless suggestions that I've already tried. They don't see it as a big deal when only one website out of the many millions is running very slowly. Everybody in the same boat as me will be pretty disillusioned with Sky Poker at the moment.

Sky Poker is, and will continue to be, my favourite place to play poker. But I'd rather take a break until this gets sorted out.

Put yourself in my shoes, the tournament table in the screenshot below took 18 minutes to load on Monday. When I finally got there I could see my hole cards, but there were no buttons to check/call/raise, I had to watch the green bar go all the way across before my cards got auto-folded. How would you feel?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/kkfroze.jpg/

(click to enlarge)

• AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited September 2011
    Yeah I understand how you feel. Not being able to do something you enjoy because of matters that are out of your control is hard.

All you can do really is wait until the problems are fixed and maybe ring your provider a few more times, maybe explain to them you're really not happy with the service they're providing and you won't be renewing your contract if it's not sorted out soon.

• tapewormtapeworm Member Posts: 432
    edited September 2011
    I have phoned Virgin and they say that they cant locate any problem. I have now been unable to use the downlaod client for a week or more. Sky any chance you can get on to Virgin and Talk Talk and get them to sort it. i imagine a whole host of your players are with these two providers - so maybe in your interest?

Its not so bad for peanuts players like me. But i wouldnt be to chuffed if I played higher stakes.
    edited September 2011
    I'm pleased to report that Sky Poker has been running perfectly here all afternoon :)
  • Batkin88Batkin88 Member Posts: 1,682
    edited September 2011
    My comp can multi table 8 to 9 tables on any site but as soon as i have 3 open on sky it lags on my actions? Is there any reason it is different from some of the other sites i don't really know much about comps but its juast annoying if i want to play 3 tournys on here and 3 on another :(
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: Site becoming unplayable, lag/dload/forum navigation issues.....:
    My comp can multi table 8 to 9 tables on any site but as soon as i have 3 open on sky it lags on my actions? Is there any reason it is different from some of the other sites i don't really know much about comps but its juast annoying if i want to play 3 tournys on here and 3 on another :(
    Posted by Batkin88
    Download or Web Client?  You will always get far better performance from the download client.
  • aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited September 2011

i might be getting close to the cause of this problem. 

my ISP is sky themselves.  i think blaming specific ISPs is a red herring.

i believe the problem is associated with the scripts that sky run on their pages.
    i have extended the timeout allowing more time for the script to run
    i have added an extension to mozilla firefox that allows me to prevent scripts from running on certain sites
    for the first time in ages i had a trouble free evening.

until

i opened the lobby whilst playing.  the script running on the lobby window might cause the script on the table window to freeze.

temporary solution...

don't open or move the lobby when on a table, don't switch between windows when a script is running.

long term solution...

if i am right, sky need to look at the conflicts that occur when having a lobby window open when playing a game. 

hopefully more will follow when i get to the bottom of this.  i think things got worse following the  recent maintenance outage.  i guess they introduced more scripts.  it's only a guess.  but i think it's a skypoker software problem.

edited September 2011
    i might be getting close to the cause of this problem.  my ISP is sky themselves.  i think blaming specific ISPs is a red herring. i believe the problem is associated with the scripts that sky run on their pages. i have extended the timeout allowing more time for the script to run i have added an extension to mozilla firefox that allows me to prevent scripts from running on certain sites for the first time in ages i had a trouble free evening. until i opened the lobby whilst playing.  the script running on the lobby window might cause the script on the table window to freeze. temporary solution... don't open or move the lobby when on a table, don't switch between windows when a script is running. long term solution... if i am right, sky need to look at the conflicts that occur when having a forum window open when playing a game.  hopefully more will follow when i get to the bottom of this.  i think things got worse following the  recent maintenance outage.  i guess they introduced more scripts.  it's only a guess.  but i think it's a skypoker software problem.
    Posted by aussie09
    You're talking above my level of technical knowledge Rob, but I think you could be on to something there. As soon as one of my tables starts getting laggy I close IE and the table nearly always starts to run normally again. This is something I've been doing for months, usually Sky Poker is one of the windows I have open while playing. Sky Poker defo runs better when I have no web browser open. I'd always assued this was a quirk of my machine, maybe it's not.
  • losthornetlosthornet Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2011
    Managed to get straight on today (was useless thursday - didn't try yesterday). Sky Scott called me on Friday and asked me to call him and let him know if it was working or not (and they would send an engineer out to investigate if not) this weekend but stupidly I left his number at work. So Scott yes it's working currently - both download client and website seem fine. Will try again later to see if it's problematic in the evening.
  • tapewormtapeworm Member Posts: 432
    edited September 2011
    well download still isnt working for me. i find it impossible to believe that every other poker site i have downloaded (5) works apart from Sky and its supposed to be my ISP. I have come back from a small break and want to be able to multi table on my fave site.

It was said earlier in the thread that Sky were going to speak to Virgin and Talk Talk to try and resolve the situation - has this been done? Because Virgin repeatedly state it is not their fault - and the fact i can play every other site makes me inclined to agree. If I cant multi table properly (cant do more than 3 with the browser version) there is no point in grinding and then im going to have to withdraw and play on sites that i can - and i dont want to!!!! please sort it out or tell me how to fix it!!!!!
    edited September 2011
    It was running terribly again here last night, many other players at my tournament table were also suffering disconnections and severe lag. It seems to be working fine again this morning, the busier the site the worse the problem.
  • corbett04corbett04 Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2011
    Iv had the odd problem with tables lagging in the past but in the last week or so this has definitely become a lot worse. I tried twice earler to multi table as i normally do and the sessions lasted about 5 minutes before it became unbearable. I use the download client btw.
  • belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited September 2011
    Had a few problems today.One table froze up had to close and re-open and just about on all the tables betting buttons seemed to be hit or miss(work 1st time to not at all and everything in-between).Download sky broad band.
  • losthornetlosthornet Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2011
    The reason for sky believeing the ISP's to be at fault is indeed valid as it is to do with selective bandwidth management over certain ports. Talktalk and several others will throttle certain types of traffic depending on network load. Whilst one poker client may work fine, sky's wouldn't because of the specific packet types being different.

I first started having the issues over a week ago (possibly 2 weeks actually), but since this weekend it has been fine. Sky have been trying to communicate this with talk talk, but as is the case with support centres it takes a large amount of noise before an ISP will take specific cases seriously. It does seem now though that talktalk are no longer throttling the type of traffic (or at least nowherer near as much) that sky poker client and website use (remember the website and the download client are based on Adobe Flash so are in fact very similar).

Being that I had the ability to test via two internet connection (one talktalk - one leased line from work) and living very close to a sky engineer in an accessible location, Sky asked me to play in the 8pm open last night with an engineer on standby to come and monitor the connection if I was still detecting issues. 

I had no issue logging in via the download client last night - no 504 timeouts etc like last week. The game ran fine and no abnormal lag was noticeable. It was a good test as I managed to stay in the tourney for 2.5 hours even being chip leader for some time - but unfortunately just missed out on the cash in the end after my 3 queens were beat by a full house and destroying my stack :(

So it looks like things are good currently. The ISP must have been the issue as when previously having the issue (last week) - using my alternative connection was fine. It seems TalkTalk have finally taken notice and have adapted their traffic management to allow sky poker to work at peak times again fine. It would be good to hear from some other talktalk users to see if their connection to sky poker has been good the last few days too.

Any Virgin customers still having issues?

- As a side note, the sky team definitely do read these boards as that is how they contacted me, I never phoned them, but they have called me 3 times now to see how it was going. Cheers guys.

- Another side note - I've never played in a higher stakes tourney before, but really enjoyed it --- a lot more poker is played rather than crazies going all in with K8 off all the time (that seem to kill me on bountyhunter lol)
  • andybuckandybuck Member Posts: 652
    edited September 2011
    i find it impossible to multi table which is frustrating after 15 mins playing 2 tables it slows so bad i have to leave 1 table,,im on virgin,,is it anything to do with adobe flashplayer