You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Nobody to blame but ourselves.......

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
edited October 2009 in Poker Chat

Many of us think that the best scheduled Daily Tourney on Sky Poker is the £400 Guaranteed, £22 7.30pm Deepie.

I certainly do, & it's one Tourney I expect to Cash in more nights than not.

Last night, it mustered a mere 15 runners. So now, the Guarantee has been dropped to £300. We really can't blame Sky Poker for this. The Guarantee was £500 at one time, then £400, now £300.

Meanwhile, the rapid structured 9pm Biggies continue to attract maximum capacity fields more nights than not. Who can blame Sky Poker for concentrating on Tourneys which attract as many as 700 Runners, when our 7.30 Deepie only garners two dozen at best most nights?

If we don't support this Tourney, it will get cancelled. It's that simple.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009

There is an alternative way of beefing up this Tourney.

Many folks don't realise that the Structure of the 7.30 Deepie is completely different to that of the 7pm Deepie. I mean totally different - it's much, much, slower, because the Blind Levels increase in such small increments. The 7pm ends in a bit of a shove-fest, but the 7.30 can go on for an age, & the Final often takes wll over an hour, 90 minutes even. It's beautifully structured - if you like that sort of poker.

Would this Tourney garner more support if it were reduced to £10?

We can have whatever we want - we can - but it HAS to have demand. If a Tourney does not attract Runners, the Guarantees will reduce, or disappear, as will the Tourney.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2009
    I take your point here tikay.I myself do want to join this deepy but at £22 it would be quite expensive.I normally play the orfordables,your names,forum and occasionally tikay sleepstack which i did win a few weeks ago.£186.I think def for me £10 would be affordable and would attract far more runners.gl m8
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Nobody to blame but ourselves.......:
    I take your point here tikay.I myself do want to join this deepy but at £22 it would be quite expensive.I normally play the orfordables,your names,forum and occasionally tikay sleepstack which i did win a few weeks ago.£186.I think def for me £10 would be affordable and would attract far more runners.gl m8
    Posted by dav1964
    I totally agree with you Dav,  When this tournament first started I did play but I found that I was quickly eating up my bankroll and had to stop and like you I now play the more affordable 7pm games.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited October 2009
    There is an alternative way of beefing up this Tourney. Many folks don't realise that the Structure of the 7.30 Deepie is completely different to that of the 7pm Deepie. I mean totally different - it's much, much, slower, because the Blind Levels increase in such small increments. The 7pm ends in a bit of a shove-fest, but the 7.30 can go on for an age, & the Final often takes wll over an hour, 90 minutes even. It's beautifully structured - if you like that sort of poker. Would this Tourney garner more support if it were reduced to £10? We can have whatever we want - we can - but it HAS to have demand. If a Tourney does not attract Runners, the Guarantees will reduce, or disappear, as will the Tourney.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi tikay

The community asked for a tournament like this, so where are they all?,as you quite rightly say this tourny has a fantastic structure, is a fantastic fantastic training ground not just for new players, but also, if ever you wish to play live (As I understand it live events have long blind structures, having never played live)

Unfortunately, not having the bankroll means I cannot afford to play it, but dosnt mean I dont want these deepies to survive as I think they make us all better players because they teach us restaint.

So come on community, lets get behind it and make it work.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2009
    Hiya BARRY,i see what you say.I only joined sky poker a few months ago so i was not aware that this was campaigned for.So i would agree with you that if this was what was wanted then where are all of you who asked for it.As you and tikay said if it is not supported it will be lost.
  • Options
    jimbo31jimbo31 Member Posts: 294
    edited October 2009

Hi, i presume the £22 is a 6 seater... sorry but i will only play 10 seater deepys... just my personal preference thats all... but understand what u are saying tikay... personally i think that the £22 clashes with the shall we say main deepy what people have already mentioned... maybe even a reduced buy in to something like £15/£17 could attract more runners, and poss a start time of 6pm or thereabouts, maybe actually list it in the highlighted mtts...just a thought..... cheers jim;-)

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Hi, i presume the £22 is a 6 seater... sorry but i will only play 10 seater deepys... just my personal preference thats all... but understand what u are saying tikay... personally i think that the £22 clashes with the shall we say main deepy what people have already mentioned... maybe even a reduced buy in to something like £15/£17 could attract more runners, and poss a start time of 6pm or thereabouts, maybe actually list it in the highlighted mtts...just a thought..... cheers jim;-)
    Posted by jimbo31
    Well that's an interesting comment.

AS was evidenced a few weeks ago, players get emotive & passionate - very passionate - about whether they prefer 6 Seaters or 10 Seaters. Personally, I'm not that fussed either way - 6 or 10, it's not THAT much different - but folks seem to be divided into two distinct & opposing camps.

I'd play the 7.30 structure if it were 6 OR 10.

Alwars remember, the Structure in the 7pm Deepie is much, much, faster, & it plays totally different.

Each to their own, thats good. For my own game, I could pretty much guarantee to Final in the 7.30 4 nights out of 6. In the 7pm, well, one Final in 5 is about as good as I can realistically hope for.

The slower the structure, the less that luck plays a part.
  • Options
    Uzi_loverUzi_lover Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2009
    its such a pity, as tk said it the best try on the site with the best player playing in it as well a rich sum nites. hopefully this  post about it will get more ppl playing it and more player playing proper poker.( say that after a few drinks)
  • Options
    SherlockSherlock Member Posts: 109
    edited October 2009
    As I've said on another thread, the 19:30 Deepie is too expensive.

It needs to be £10 or less.

It also needs to be 10 seater IMO (maybe it already is?)

Tikay can you elucidate the structure of the 19:30 Deepie?

This highlights some issues:

How can we see a tournament structure & seats per table before we decide to sign up?

The description usually only shows the starting stacks & blind levels.

All the best.
  • Options
    MADMOOMADMOO Member Posts: 1,687
    edited October 2009
    Hi Tikay, I agree it is the best scheduled tourney on sky. I stopped playing it as it became too much, £22 every night. I would definately play it again if the buy in was reduced to £10. x
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited October 2009

I knew with the dwindling number of runners that a reduction to £300 GTD was inevitable and i would actually like to thank sky for the overlay they have provided over the last few nights because they could have taken this decision much sooner...

I think a reduction of the buy in from £22 to £11 is worth a try to encourage more runners. I personally dont mind if it is a 6 or 10 seater.

I would also like to echo what Uzi said about this being a super tournament and with some top quality players in it. I have really enjoyed playing this over the last 3 months or so and it has improved my game no end... I actually folded QQ pre flop last night, it was the correct fold and i made the ft! I could never have done that a few months back...

Long live the deepies

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited October 2009
    I do feel partly to blame for this!! I have always been behind the push for deepstack slow games, but after a bad MTT run I have moved to cash and making a tidy profit... The last day or so though has seen the opposite, cant hit a barn door etc etc, so decided to play the £22 ds last night..

As Tikay said we only had 15 last night... But if you are looking for a nice long tourney with a great chance to cash this is the best on the site... Reason being:-...

6 Players paid Guarenteed every night (so around 1 in 3 chance to cash atm)

Generally the same faces so you can build up "reads" on player.

Very friendly as all the players know each other by now

now get this from last night......!!!

It took 1 Hour 20 Minutes to lose out FIRST .. yes FIRST!! Player...

The value is staring you in the face, but everyone is turning their backs on it.
  • Options
    paparonpaparon Member Posts: 186
    edited October 2009
    There is an alternative way of beefing up this Tourney. Many folks don't realise that the Structure of the 7.30 Deepie is completely different to that of the 7pm Deepie. I mean totally different - it's much, much, slower, because the Blind Levels increase in such small increments. The 7pm ends in a bit of a shove-fest, but the 7.30 can go on for an age, & the Final often takes wll over an hour, 90 minutes even. It's beautifully structured - if you like that sort of poker. Would this Tourney garner more support if it were reduced to £10? We can have whatever we want - we can - but it HAS to have demand. If a Tourney does not attract Runners, the Guarantees will reduce, or disappear, as will the Tourney.
    Posted by Tikay10
     i  think the numbers would certainly go up if the buy in was a bit less 22 quid is all thats stopping me tikay if the powers that be gave the lower buy a try im sure the entries would rise
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Some terrific Posts in this Thread, bear wirth me, & I'll reply to them all.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Nobody to blame but ourselves....... :  i  think the numbers would certainly go up if the buy in was a bit less 22 quid is all thats stopping me tikay if the powers that be gave the lower buy a try im sure the entries would rise
    Posted by paparon
    We - the Players - ARE the powers that be.

Sky Poker will give us what we want - it's in their interests to. But they won't continue offer Guarantees in Tourneys which don't "cover" - they have no need when a fast-structured 9pm Tourney sells out most nights.

So, if enough players say "let's make it a Tenner" (or whatever), then Sky will give it to us.

It was the Players who asked for the £22 Deepie, & we all thought it would be popular. It's not been the case though. Ultimately, the Players choose what tournaments they want, & Sky Poker will put them on. And if Players don't support them, Sky Poker will not support those "failed" Tourneys.

So it's up to us.

Use this Thread to voice your view, & I'll make sure the Suits see it.
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited October 2009
    I dont want it to change personally!!! Everyone says they will play it if its less but IMO then it wont be the "7.30 ds" Sky have a good setup i feel, the 7pm with the bigger fields and the smaller buyin, but the 7.30 is there for the people who want less varience, a better structure and more money to play for (although at the moments its probably less) Not sure how we can promote it, maybe 1 of the non live nights on sky could show highlights, There is 3-4 hours of great poker being played and with only 3 or 4 tables being used the players are guarenteed ALOT of tv coverage, im sure that will attract alot of players
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited October 2009
    Maybe whats needed here is a touch of the Acebarry10 magic.  I am sure that his daily posts on the forum for the 7pm deepstacks have generated interest and more players.  Is it possible that he can do the same to rejuvenate the 7.30 one as well?
  • Options
    Uzi_loverUzi_lover Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2009
    I would like it 2 stay £22 coz there other deepstacks at £5 and £10. One thing they could do is move it 2 the top of the poker loppy next the other deepstacks try
  • Options
    tallboytallboy Member Posts: 375
    edited October 2009
    As I've said on another thread, the 19:30 Deepie is too expensive.   It needs to be £10 or less.   It also needs to be 10 seater IMO (maybe it already is?) Tikay can you elucidate the structure of the 19:30 Deepie? This highlights some issues: How can we see a tournament structure & seats per table before we decide to sign up? The description usually only shows the starting stacks & blind levels. All the best.
    Posted by Sherlock
    Sky needs to reduce the cost for a week or maybe a fortnight and see if it works. I love the £22 deepstack but i wont be playing it as often, if ever if the guarantee is £300, not for £22 entry fee it makes no sense.

I brought this subject up a few weeks ago regarding this tournament and the main problem seemed to be the cost for most players.

Totally agree with TK that its by far the best structured tournament on the site. Please don't let the tournament die it would be a real shame.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited October 2009
    Keep it at a 6 seater.  Most players on Sky are used to this and if you are to attract new players then it would be good if they had a familiar surrounding.

1 night a week dedicate a segment in the show to some hands, instead of showing Velocity.

Maybe TK could record a small 5 minute segment explaining the strategy of the tournie in more detail, and have that in place of the In Poker interviews.

I agree that the reduction of the BI to £11 would be a positive step.

I rarely play in the 7.30 as I don't feel that the payout struture justifys a £22 entry.  Especially when the field is gonna be very tough.  Rather have cash tables up tbf, however if the BI was reduced, which attracted more runners, then I would be interested.