You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

sky poker £865 freeroll

Comments

• Options
    BANDICOOTBANDICOOT Member Posts: 675
    edited October 2009
    Hi tikay. For what its worth I think this was a sound idea of yours giving clues to avoid a registration traffic jam. Registration was open for all from 21.00hrs and the clues were dished out pretty fast there after so all people had to do was watch and listen -  very fair in my opinion, and many people cottoned on quite quickly.

oh well - you just cant please all of the people alll of the time
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,571
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker £865 freeroll:
    In Response to Re: sky poker £865 freeroll : TK it was all done fairly. 9-930pm was the alloted password time. In that time the password was alluded to and then given out. All fine. I was so keen I was guessing 8 letter words as soon as you said that! "SKYPOKER" I was sure I had it ;)there had to be some element of fun to this or else there would be no need for the presenters to say it at all - just put it up as a graphic at 9pm. Are you on again tonight? :) GLUMBRA (looks like my name is sticking )
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Exactly that, Glumbra. I just thought it'd be fun.

Oh well, let's move on, next case.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited October 2009
    Thanks guys. It really distressed me overnight that some of you felt this had not been done fairly. It had been widely pre-advertised, in e-Mails from Sky Poker & on this forum by me, that the Password would be made known during the early part of the Show. All the indications would that there would be huge demand. I mean, Sky Poker were giving away, completely free, £865. So, a free shot at a few bob if you could nab a seat. Just before the Show, it occurred to me, looking at the huge volume of people Online last night - (subsequently over6,000 were Online) that if every one of them found the Password at exactly the same moment, & all entered the Freeroll simultaneously, that'd be some spike in traffic, an un-natural load on the Software, sort of like revving a car up & then dropping the clutch with a bang!  So I suggested to the Producer, 'Ling, that we might trail a few Clues before actually announcing the Password. She agreed readily, though I stress it was my idea, & if that were wrong, I take the blame. So that's what we did. Clues were dropped by me - make of Spark Plugs, rode a Grand National winner, the rendition of the Queen song ((amazed anyone recognized it!), etc.  We went on a break at about 9.26, then at the top of the next section, we had to do Stats, Leaderboard, etc, so it was 9.34, or 9.35 before the actual announcement was confirmed. When the Show ended, I looked Online, after my Producer had warned me it had all kicked off, & I was aghast at what I saw. Sky Poker had "messed up", made a "**** up of it", and were "cheats". I really don't know what to say, or think. Sky Poker gave away £865, & said that Players would have to watch the Show to get the Password.   Nobody messed up, nobody cheated, the £865 was given away. With hindsight, of course, I wish I'd not had my bright idea to give away Clues, & if it did disadvantage anyone, it's my fault, not Sky Poker's so blame me. But if I had not trailed the Password, just as many people would have failed to get in, because demand far outstripped seat availability. And I suppose they would have blamed somebody else then. Ho-hum. Enjoy your Sunday, whatever you plan to do.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi tikay

The words, devil and deep blue sea come very readily to mind, oh what it would be to have hindsight beforehand :) at the end of the day what would have happened whould you not have given the clues? we can only guess, it was Sky,s great generosity in giving us the freeroll in the first place keep your chin up m8.

How did you go on in your live game please?
  • Options
    warticwartic Member Posts: 403
    edited October 2009

I did watch but didnt pay enough attention too the clues but i didnt know we where supposed too guess the word and register, what did amaze me was that when the word was given and rather than register straight away i had been given the order by the wife too refill her wine glass and in that time it was full. My only point therefore would be where all those players regulars on the site otherwise lets hope for a united win (though i support the arsenal and celtic) because that 13/1 that sky gave on Lyon and Utd beating liverpool looks a very very nice price lol
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2009
    Hiya Tikay,like all the sensible people are saying you did NOTHING WRONG.I myself missed the clue cos the family were watching X FACTOR (SIGH).Was my earlier post here correct thou? a record number of posts in a short space of time.LOL see ya soon
  • Options
    35suited35suited Member Posts: 2,332
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker £865 freeroll : TK it was all done fairly. 9-930pm was the alloted password time. In that time the password was alluded to and then given out. All fine. I was so keen I was guessing 8 letter words as soon as you said that! "SKYPOKER" I was sure I had it ;) there had to be some element of fun to this or else there would be no need for the presenters to say it at all - just put it up as a graphic at 9pm. Are you on again tonight? :) GLUMBRA (looks like my name is sticking )
    Posted by Grimstar30
    lol glad I wasnt the only one guessing and yeah SKYPOKER  was my first guess as well, I did miss some of the clues, mrs wouldnt let me have speakers on loud because of **** x-factor, but i was lucky enough to get in once the password had been revealed. 

Thanks to all at sky for the freeroll :)

Gareth
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker £865 freeroll : lol glad I wasnt the only one guessing and yeah SKYPOKER  was my first guess as well, I did miss some of the clues, mrs wouldnt let me have speakers on loud because of **** x-factor, but i was lucky enough to get in once the password had been revealed.  Thanks to all at sky for the freeroll :) Gareth
    Posted by 35suited
    Thats it now im goin to SUE the X FACTOR
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited October 2009
    What about if you are registered 'deaf' i think the clues given out would give you a great disadvantage, you had to wait til the answer was revealed on screen. or didnt you want deaf players to enter?
  • Options
    EDKENT123EDKENT123 Member Posts: 416
    edited October 2009
    its a FREE ROLL, every one knew the rules before it started, im sure you all had the emails etc.....
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited October 2009
    u get a decent freebie and people still moan there ..... off, plz have a look around on other  sites and u will c sky give away much more in freebies and there 1 of the smaller sites at the mo.... i think 600odd people registered at 9.15 wernt hard 2 watch and guess unless x factor was on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sky are good for freerolls and do give loads of free places to players in games.
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited October 2009
    Just remember guys that the more you whine and moan about not being able to get into these freerolls the more chance there is that Sky will just stop running them.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,571
    edited October 2009
    What about if you are registered 'deaf' i think the clues given out would give you a great disadvantage, you had to wait til the answer was revealed on screen. or didnt you want deaf players to enter?
    Posted by loonytoons
    I already explained how & why the decision to give clues came about.

I also apologised - two or three times - if what I did disadvantaged anyone, & I further explained how the saga distressed me.

I think the point has now been made. 

As a regular Player on this Site, I'm really very pleased that Sky Poker take the time & effort to give plenty of Freerolls.
  • Options
    Grimstar30Grimstar30 Member Posts: 1,400
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker £865 freeroll : I already explained how & why the decision to give clues came about. I also apologised - two or three times - if what I did disadvantaged anyone, & I further explained how the saga distressed me. I think the point has now been made.  As a regular Player on this Site, I'm really very pleased that Sky Poker take the time & effort to give plenty of Freerolls.
    Posted by Tikay10
    +1
  • Options
    mr_mbromr_mbro Member Posts: 1,152
    edited October 2009
    I'm sorry some of you are disappointed not to get into the Freeroll. There were 1,000 Free Seats, & £865 to give away, so damand was huge. I trailed a few clues during the first 30 minutes, there were equally available to everyone who was watching. It had been announced that the Password wouild be revealed within the first part of the Show, & it was. So Sky Poker were good to their word, & I'm sorry if some of you think that by giving clues, it disadvantaged you.  For those that got in, I hope you enjoyed the £865 865 Freeroll. Have a good weekend.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm sorry Tony that just doesnt wash m8.
    I watched the first half hour of the programme and got the clues to the password, so you can imagine how cheesed off i was when i couldnt get into the tourney.
    Mind you i was watching the rerun on Sunday morning, so am i going to get free entry into another tourney as compensation for gonig out on Saturday night drinking, thereby missing the show and freeroll.lol

col
  • Options
    BANDICOOTBANDICOOT Member Posts: 675
    edited October 2009
    +2. (grimstar30) a chance 2 get something 4 nothing, cant b bad
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker £865 freeroll : I already explained how & why the decision to give clues came about. I also apologised - two or three times - if what I did disadvantaged anyone, & I further explained how the saga distressed me. I think the point has now been made.  As a regular Player on this Site, I'm really very pleased that Sky Poker take the time & effort to give plenty of Freerolls.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay, you or sky dont have to justify yourselves to anyone as to how a freeroll is run. You can make up what ever entrance and running criteria you see fit. Its free for gods sake. To anyone who missed out - some you win, some you lose, get over it. Tikay you have replied to the people on this thread explaining your actions (which you didn't have to)  and IMO thats a darn sight more than other sites would do. I run a golf society for 20 players and i can never please everybody, your trying to do it with 1000's so you will always get some players who think the worlds against them, however i find these are the players who, if they aint moaning about this, they will be moaning about something else. Please dont take it to heart.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker £865 freeroll : Tikay, you or sky dont have to explain yourselves to anyone as to how a freeroll is run. You can make up what ever entrance and running criteria you see fit. Its free for gods sake . To anyone who missed out - some you win, some you lose, get over it. Tikay you have replied to the people on this thread explaining your actions (which you didn't have to)  and IMO thats a darn sight more than other sites would do. I run a golf society for 20 players and i can never please everybody, your trying to do it with 1000's so you will always get some players who think the worlds against them, however i find these are the players who, if they aint moaning about this, they will be moaning about something else. Please dont take it to heart.
    Posted by loonytoons
    +1 (apart from the bit about running a golf society)
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: sky poker £865 freeroll : I'm sorry Tony that just doesnt wash m8. I watched the first half hour of the programme and got the clues to the password, so you can imagine how cheesed off i was when i couldnt get into the tourney. Mind you i was watching the rerun on Sunday morning, so am i going to get free entry into another tourney as compensation for gonig out on Saturday night drinking, thereby missing the show and freeroll.lol col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    col does make a fair point imo
  • Options
    Bytor_2112Bytor_2112 Member Posts: 42
    edited October 2009
    Due to the site technical problems logging in in the early hours because of the clocks going back, I think we should be given a BST ends Freeroll - On second thoughts....