You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE LITTLE LEAGUE - LOW DEPOSIT / RECREATIONAL PLAYERS READ ON!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    BANDICOOTBANDICOOT Member Posts: 675
    edited July 2009
    many thanks 4 your support fingers
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    well i guess this post is due to be relegated to the DO NOT DISTURB area of the forum, thanks for all that posted here, just a shame no one from SKYPOKER is really interested, this is probably the only thread on the forum that puts forward players  concerns or requests that has not been commented on by the SKY MANAGEMENT TEAM,
    not even a " sorry but no chance ".  tumbleweeds tell many tales.......
  • Options
    RESTORMELRESTORMEL Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2009
    First off, BANDICOOTs original suggestion really is a cracking idea.  Now to get Sky to look at this seriously, perhaps presenting the idea in terms of how much extra profit could be made is the way ahead.

The future growth of poker (and therefore the future growth of sky poker) is reliant on continuing to attract new players to the game.

New players may feel intimidated/embarrassed/inadequate etc about their skill levels/bankroll size and feel that they cannot possibly compete with 'the big boys'

So sky wants to attract these new players - how do they do it?

By advertising the fact that they have this league system, where new players can play well within their comfort levels against other new players and can see how they have performed in the league tables.  They will get lots of help and support from the community, forum, tv show etc. So tell the world via ads in poker mags, on sky tv etc that sky poker is THE place to be for the new player. 

Result - an increase in traffic of new players eager to play at a great site.

Secondary result - a big influx of new players will attract more experienced players trying to win their money - Result even more revenue for sky from greater player numbers and larger rake.

As they improve and reach the top of the tree in their league, they get a reward of playing in a monthly tourney against the big boys, possibly including some invited big name guest players.  This is the poker equivalent of john doe being able to play against Colin Montgomerie or Lee Westwood in the Open.  Surely there is a huge appeal to the little leaguer to have a shot at high rollers without going busto.

Result - plenty of opportunities to use new player winners in their advertising campaigns to attract even more players..........and so the rolling snowball keeps growing.

So cmon sky, you know it makes sense!  A lot of companies would have paid me a small fortune for such astute marketing advice lol.
  • Options
    Taller_GuyTaller_Guy Member Posts: 289
    edited August 2009
    I think this is an excellent idea, Bandicoot, and I like Restormel's version too.  We need something that allows us little guys the chance to get into the bigger tournaments.
    It's a little disappointing that this thread has been running for a while now, but nothing's been heard from those upstairs.  If it's not feasible, fair enough, but it would be nice if they said so.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hi Restormel, Thanks for coming in on this thread, all valid points and very well put, i had hopes that someone else would see the potential of this idea, but alas the only people who can see the benefit are the players who would be efected by such a legue .. THE SMALL PLAYERS ..

However if you get the chance to encourage others to add to this thread perhaps the larger it gets someone from SKYPOKER might take notice instead of keep passing it by...

Thanks again .. John
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    HI TALLER GUY,

I couldnt agree more, if you look at the first post date it was certainly a while since I started this thread, and the only SKY acknowlegement was from TIKAY, but as he states his personal views are just that , if you read the whole thread there has not been one negative or dismissive comment made about this idea... yet it is probably the only thread of this nature that has no comment from either SKYRICH, SKYANDY, SKYSTEVE... etc  and most definately  no SKYDES....

well we live in hope  ,,,,,   thanks once again .. john
  • Options
    BeastieBoyBeastieBoy Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2009
    I think there are some good opportunities for low-stakes players to play in the bigger events on Sky.  I'm only a low-stake player, yet I've managed to qualify for tonights five-00 through a £1 sat.  Also got to play in the SPUKT in Newcastle earlier in the year through a £1 or £2 sat.  Even the Viva Las Vegas event had satellites from £1 or £2.

I guess the current league is designed to reward high volume players who spend a lot of time & play a lot of games on the site, not just high-stakes players.  It may favour the high-stakes players as they earn more points per game but it may be possible for low to mid-stakes players to accure enough points to make a league final by playing lots of games.

I like your idea of a league for low-stakes/low-deposit players and it's something I would look to tke part in as right now I don't stand a chance of ever getting enough points to make it to a league final.  I don't see how it could be organised so that is was just open to low-stakes/low volume/low deposit players though.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024
    edited August 2009

Guys,

Sorry no Suits have responded, perhaps they are mulling it over.

Paraphrase the Idea & Wish List again for me, please, & I'll make sure they get to see it. I promise.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE LITTLE LEAGUE - LOW DEPOSIT / RECREATIONAL PLAYERS READ ON!!:
    I think there are some good opportunities for low-stakes players to play in the bigger events on Sky.  I'm only a low-stake player, yet I've managed to qualify for tonights five-00 through a £1 sat.  Also got to play in the SPUKT in Newcastle earlier in the year through a £1 or £2 sat.  Even the Viva Las Vegas event had satellites from £1 or £2. I guess the current league is designed to reward high volume players who spend a lot of time & play a lot of games on the site, not just high-stakes players.  It may favour the high-stakes players as they earn more points per game but it may be possible for low to mid-stakes players to accure enough points to make a league final by playing lots of games. I like your idea of a league for low-stakes/low-deposit players and it's something I would look to tke part in as right now I don't stand a chance of ever getting enough points to make it to a league final.  I don't see how it could be organised so that is was just open to low-stakes/low volume/low deposit players though.
    Posted by BeastieBoy
    Hi BEASTIE BOY, thanks for adding your support and very valid points, yes there are plenty of opportunities for the lower depositors and with the addition of the new low level deep stack tourneys and deep stack freeroll qualifiers those wishing for a more satisfying game can certainly find they are accomodated on sky now,  the idea of a split league was to provide a ranking / level for all and for those wishing to monitor their own play by a set marker, with a monthly goal for all not just a tourney based on how much you can afford to deposit or by having the money to buy in at the highest level mtt / stt where points are at a higher premium.

there is a simple way to divide the leagues and with the fact that skypoker ( no offence intend - sky team ) the customer base is not that large compared to some sites, so setting this up now would be easier than to try and effect any changes when the customer base expands as and the site grows - as i am sure it will.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE LITTLE LEAGUE - LOW DEPOSIT / RECREATIONAL PLAYERS READ ON!!:
    Guys, Sorry no Suits have responded, perhaps they are mulling it over. Paraphrase the Idea & Wish List again for me, please, & I'll make sure they get to see it. I promise.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi TIKAY,

thanks for reviewing the thread, will look forward to any reply on this subject  -  john
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024
    edited August 2009
    In Response to Re: SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THE LITTLE LEAGUE - LOW DEPOSIT / RECREATIONAL PLAYERS READ ON!! : Hi TIKAY, thanks for reviewing the thread, will look forward to any reply on this subject  -  john
    Posted by BANDICOOT
    Hi John,

Don't forget that tonight there is an affordable Deepie - the "Orfordable" - at £3 + £0.30, which is pretty good value for up to 4 hours play.

7pm tonight - hope to see you there!
  • Options
    DTWBANDITDTWBANDIT Member Posts: 6,451
    edited August 2009

like the idea m8 nice 1
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    cheers DTW
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited August 2009
    yep bandi great idea / i posted similar idea for wsop worth a look m8
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yep bandi great idea / i posted similar idea for wsop worth a look m8
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    Cheers for the post and support on this idea IRISHROVER, will cerainly give your post a viewing - john
  • Options
    DraigDraig Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2009
    sounds a great idea to me.

Don't kid yourself too much though, at the end of it all those who play the most will almost always get the high league spots due to the amount of points they accrue...and the guy grinding away at the 1p/2p table in division 4  - 7 days a week 12 hours a day will always be there much the same as those who are more or less making a living at it now at the big stakes...

• Options
    edited August 2009
    sounds a great idea to me. Don't kid yourself too much though, at the end of it all those who play the most will almost always get the high league spots due to the amount of points they accrue...and the guy grinding away at the 1p/2p table in division 4  - 7 days a week 12 hours a day will always be there much the same as those who are more or less making a living at it now at the big stakes...
    Posted by Draig

Hi draig and thanks for the post,

You are more than likely correct in this assumption, the cash players will always accrue more points, but for the players in the lower stakes MTT /STT who  dont stand a chance in the  league as it is run today would probably try upping their game for a chance at a monthly freezeout of their own,