You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

"MASTER CASH" and FREE ENTRY Competition!

Comments

• Options
    TorryladdTorryladd Member Posts: 503
    edited November 2009
    I have been trying to learn the art of position play and have recieved a lot of advice which I have tried to use and has improved my game, but the master cash tonight has shown me a bit more,  in particular when Tikay said on numerous occasions he's in position a bet will do it . Then a player checked in position and folded to a bet (neither player had nothing)   Tikay explained how it should have been the player in position picking up the pot.

What i'm saying is seeing it in action and having experts explain has been very educational.

Thankyou

In Response to Re: "MASTER CASH" and FREE ENTRY Competition!:
    So, the FREE ENTRY Competition. The WINNER will get FREE ENTRY into NEXT SATURDAY'S 8pm Main Event. AND the T-Shirt shown in this photograph. you don't get me though. You have until 8am on MONDAY to Enter. And the Winner will be the entrant, who in the opinion of Sky-Rich, (he does not know he's the Judge yet, but he will soon!), gives the best answer to THIS question. "What I learned from watching Master Cash was.......". The answer can be serious, humorous, or a mixture of both. Abuse of Orford is welcome, even encouraged. But I'll give you a clue. If anyone learns any ONE thing from Master Cash, then we are doing OK. But 90% of the new &/or inexperienced players on this Site, or anywhere for that matter, make the same, identical, fundamental mistake. And if we help to cure that, then those players games (& profitability) will improve immeasurably. So you have to watch the Show, Live, or when it is repeated during Sunday, or via the Internet Stream on skypoker.com.
    Posted by Tikay10
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    Hi again

I think you will find Deadwood Stage is from Calamity Jane, sung by Doris Day, and Secret Love too :)

I have learnt that for cashplay, you can play a wider range of hands and be more aggro, never, ever play out of your depth, position is paramount, wwatch the table first, see what its like.
  • Options
    LFCRUNLFCRUN Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2009

rich keep tikay away from the fan as we dont want that wig blowing off. also tht stole lottery ticket of yours

• Options
    Shy_TedShy_Ted Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2009
    "What I learned from watching Master Cash was.......".

That neither Tikay or Orford know anything about football! Man City tried to sign Kato?? Then it was Kanu?? Then Kanu's first name was Kato?? The answer you were looking for was Kaka....and Kanu's first name was Nwankwo (careful how you pronounce that if televise this!). I've also learnt a fair bit about position, so thanks! You may have the edge on the tables but I think I may have you both on a footy quiz!
  • Options
    billy999billy999 Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2009

loved the show tonight
    I think the what i learnt the most is not to flat call as much and bet more

• Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited November 2009
    Great show tonight.  Improvement on the open IMO.
  • Options
    BrrrrrrrBrrrrrrr Member Posts: 4,201
    edited November 2009
    "What I learned from Master Cash" .....is that I should never play on cash tables!
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2009
    I learned from the show tonight that calling is a not the thing to do.
    I know that everyone wants to see a flop with the raggedy hands.
    Always know the position you are playing in and use the button to raise.
    Put a decent raise, 3 or 4 times the BB, so that most of the raggedy hands will fold, hopefully.
    Always put in sensible sized bets when you do bet.
    Always re-evaluate your hand after each round of betting.
    And don't play against Scotty.
  • Options
    DingdellDingdell Member Posts: 166
    edited November 2009

I learnt that Tikay and Orford are the dog whisperers of the poker world, they walk in and show you how to tame the table. Then they go off air, you forget what they said and the table turns round and bites you. Ouch.

• Options
    edited November 2009
    And don't play against Scotty.
    Posted by apollo_11
    why not, im lovely :(
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited November 2009
    "What I learned from Master Cash"...

I learned that when presenting a live TV broadcast, it's a good idea to have your microphone switched on. :-)

(Although in Mr. Orford's case, Tikay may disagree).
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited November 2009
    No offence Scotty.
    You are a very good player, way out of my league, but you do tend to play some weird starting hands which makes you very difficult to read, always a good thing to have in poker.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213
    edited November 2009
    "What I learned from watching Master Cash was.......". That neither Tikay or Orford know anything about football! Man City tried to sign Kato?? Then it was Kanu?? Then Kanu's first name was Kato?? The answer you were looking for was Kaka....and Kanu's first name was Nwankwo (careful how you pronounce that if televise this!). I've also learnt a fair bit about position, so thanks! You may have the edge on the tables but I think I may have you both on a footy quiz!
    Posted by Shy_Ted
    Thank you Ted, & welcome to the Sky Community.

I learned stuff, too.

1) My attempts at humour miss the target way too often. ;)

2) My attempts to portray myself as a bumbling idiot work well.

Delighted you found the Cash Game advice of some use.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: "MASTER CASH" and FREE ENTRY Competition! : Thank you Ted, & welcome to the Sky Community. I learned stuff, too. 1) My attempts at humour miss the target way too often. ;)2) My attempts to portray myself as a bumbling idiot work well. Delighted you found the Cash Game advice of some use.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Too well, too often tikay ;), and good luck if you decide to go to the live tourny.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No offence Scotty. You are a very good player, way out of my league, but you do tend to play some weird starting hands which makes you very difficult to read, always a good thing to have in poker.
    Posted by apollo_11
    I played quite tight on the tables last night.  In cash SC have far, far more value than in tournies as you tend to be far deeper stacked.  It is not unusual to be 200+bb deep versus 3/4 villains at the table.  In tournies you are only really 100bb deep against multiple players in the first couple of levels.

Also I can value bet far far thinner than my opponents and also maximise the value when I do hit my monsters due to my image.  Yes it does go quite swingy a lot, and there are days of -10 to 20 BIs but its just something you gotta handle.

The cash games are far more reggy so if you can't mix up your game you become so predictable.  For instance I insta-folded QT on a 4 T 2 2 board as I was up against a super passive player who bet out plus a very decent and fairly nitty grinder so I'm never ever good.  However versus certain regs that I play with on cash it is an insta-call or insta-all in.

Thats why tournie players find it a struggle in cash, the dynamic is so different and hand value changes to how deep you are.

On a side note this happened last night after I used the player search function to find him.  I have taken out his name, so probably best not to mention it, but I think we can all guess who he is.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    gerrard9 Small blind   £1.00 £1.00 £215.65
    1256 Big blind   £2.00 £3.00 £118.40
      Your hole cards

billyblu14 Call   £2.00 £5.00 £134.06
    scotty77 Raise   £8.00 £13.00 £257.95
    V Call   £8.00 £21.00 £224.99
    smithyg388 Call   £8.00 £29.00 £57.95
    gerrard9 Fold        
    1256 Fold        
    billyblu14 Fold        
    Flop

• Q

scotty77 Bet   £20.00 £49.00 £237.95
    V Call   £20.00 £69.00 £204.99
    smithyg388 Fold        
    Turn

scotty77 Bet   £52.00 £121.00 £185.95
    V Call   £52.00 £173.00 £152.99
    River

scotty77 Bet   £106.00 £279.00 £79.95
    V
    Call   £106.00 £385.00 £46.99
    scotty77 Show

V
    Muck
    • Q

scotty77 Win Three 7s £383.20   £463.15
  • Options
    ewee71ewee71 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2009
    In Response to "MASTER CASH" and FREE ENTRY Competition!:
    Tonight see's the debut of a new Show to Sky Poker, & there will be ANOTHER - incredibly exciting & totally unique - new Show on Saturday nights very soon, so Saturday nights will be very different on Channel 865. Tonight's new offering is "Master Cash", & is Produced by Sky 'Ling, with Rich & myself in the Studio. As the title suggests, it will be wholly cash-based, but if you read the word "Master" as a verb, it makes more sense - as in "you can master cash games". 8pm, Live on Channel 865, or via Internet Stream on skypoker.com, & repeated frequently on 865 on Sunday. The emphasis will be two-fold. Cash game skills. Poker education generally. These weekly Shows will usually be broken into 3 x 1 hour segments, capable of being transmitted later as 1 hour standalone Shows. (But tonight's will be a little different, as we need to spam & do the Reveal for the 865 Freeroll. Each one hour segment will be at different levels of Cash Play - low, medium, high - with the advice, we hope, geared to that Level of play. Tonight's Show will start at 8pm, & finish at 11pm. NOT Midnight! Whst will you watch after the Show finishes? - well I think the 2009 Viva Las Vegas Pokumentary is on. Well worth a gander, I'm told. More to follow...... on E-Mails, & the Free Entry Competition.
    Posted by Tikay10
    sounds really good excellent tikay10 thumbs up
  • Options
    scottang17scottang17 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2009
    i have learned that most small staked cash you have to play very aggressive as people will call with very poor hands and pay to chase.
  • Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited November 2009
    I learnt that an incredibly weak bet (ie £1 into a pot of £33) is such a great weapon!! Confused the players on the table and thus is a good tool to have in the armoury ;)
  • Options
    Kiwini4uKiwini4u Member Posts: 3,830
    edited November 2009
    I learnt that an incredibly weak bet (ie £1 into a pot of £33) is such a great weapon!! Confused the players on the table and thus is a good tool to have in the armoury ;)
    Posted by phil12uk
    Not only that, but confused the analyst and presenter too
  • Options
    mabsuemabsue Member Posts: 382
    edited November 2009
    what I have learned from master cash is i still have a lot to learn about playing cash versus my tournament play