You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

doing my nut in!

Comments

• Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited November 2009

i think they try to persuade people to at least give these a go because they offer great value and play,nowt wrong with that.

long live the deeeepppppiiiieeesss

• Options
    Hale72Hale72 Member Posts: 1,000
    edited November 2009
    For me, the answer is "no", but we all know that similar threads appear on a regular basis.  New members to the forum post topics that have been debated previously.  We need to accept that this happens and be tolerant of new posters.  I did the same thing when i first joined the community.

Yes, this is just part and parcel of the forum. I have no real issues here and new posters do genuinly ask questions they did not see a few weeks ago or want advice on something previously covered.

It's the huge amount of pap at the moment and the same subject being covered at the same time.

2 threads about how luck is relevant to your game, both on page one? Is this really necessary?
  • Options
    BuistyboyBuistyboy Member Posts: 408
    edited November 2009
    Hi hayley

I understand what you are saying, and cannot argue with you on that one.  That is why i think the thread that rich has started asking for recommendations for changing the set up of the forum is an important one.  If we get this right, then it could be a lot easier to see the threads that tend to be of interest to us, and avoid having duplicate threads so close together.

Loony's idea of hiding threads that are not of interest is a good one, if it is practical. 

Along the same idea, I think you can follow threads that are of particular interest and see them in your profile page, so that even if they drop off the top page, you can quickly see if anyone has added to them since you were last on the site.
  • Options
    kennybadkennybad Member Posts: 777
    edited November 2009
    not really bothered if people want to post them they can
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I follow most threads, really that would be impractical.

Hopefully, the 'new thread' boom will quieten down soon enough and things will get back to normal.

I spend half my day trying to catch up sometimes. I really need to play some poker soon!!!

Can Webby do a sponsored 'no new threads' for children in need. It would earn them a few quid, and we can see if he gets withdrawl symptoms as well!

Put me down for a quid to start the ball rolling!
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2009
    i dont care
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: doing my nut in!:
    i dont care
    Posted by namesb0nd
    Bet you will if those keep getting you in the posters freebie!
  • Options
    NICONNICON Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2009

I don't read them and i don't know why they are posted. each to their own as to the things they post though. As long as the regular deppie players want to put threads up then why not, i just won't bother to read them. As far as promoting the deepstacks go though i don't see many new people signing up to these ever so i don't think the threads create interest in them. It took me a while to figure out that the main guys posting them were not on the sky payroll, i just figured no one would bother with an "advertising" thread if they wern't employed by the site but obviously these tournys are important to some people, even if they don't play in them themselves

• Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited November 2009
    I don't read them and i don't know why they are posted. each to their own as to the things they post though. As long as the regular deppie players want to put threads up then why not, i just won't bother to read them. As far as promoting the deepstacks go though i don't see many new people signing up to these ever so i don't think the threads create interest in them. It took me a while to figure out that the main guys posting them were not on the sky payroll, i just figured no one would bother with an "advertising" thread if they wern't employed by the site but obviously these tournys are important to some people, even if they don't play in them themselves
    Posted by NICON
    Hi Nicon

The threads were started by tikay, and still does them too when hes on the forum :)
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2009
    in my view people can promote what ever sky poker tournie they want on this forum. If you dont want to read it, please dont.

tikay, barry, kiwi and others have done great to promote the deepstacks and i find the posts a helpful reminder sometimes to register...

If you want to promote the 60p Roulette every night, be my guest... I wont be interested, but i wont mock those that promote it.

The forum is for whatever we chose it to be.. start a thread on whatever you like imo.

• Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited November 2009
    interesting results guys.  17/14 yes/no with a 12 (i think i've forgot what i read 5 seconds ago) don't care.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: doing my nut in! : well said greg ,this post is not fooling anybody,this post is all about the nice people ,that run the threads for the deepstack ,who continue to do a great job ............webby is only concerned about the posters freeroll,and post count for the nice people that run the deepstack threads,,,............thats all this post is about ..........dont be fooled people ,even i didnt think he could stoop this low ,but there you have it in black and white .................SAD SAD MAN
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    yes because 1 persons post count is really gonna skew a 50 person FR.

do you even think about things before you ramble on like some kind of insane person?
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited November 2009
    I don't think anyone is questioning if the people that run the threads are nice or not? I'ts just a matter of if the threads "Promote" the Deepies to new people or if in fact they are read, and entered by the same people making them pointless (as a promotion but probably enjoyable for those who comment and enter these). I'm not one to say that people can't post what they like on here and as the deepie threads WILL continue I will just do what i've always done and skip by them.

The OP said that the "POSTS" do his head in, not the people who take the time to make them. So why people are jumping to the defence of individuals who have put them up i don't know? People are not particularly leaping to the defence of the threads (other than 1 or 2 saying it has reminded them once to enter), they are defending the people who have not been mentioned by the OP.

Also Webby has not requested all deepie posts to be stopped, just not so many. Others on this thread have commented on how many were appearing so it's obviously not just him who 's noticed
  • Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November 2009
    hi guys,

i have just had to delete a post in this thread that broke our community house rules. please keep things friendly, there really is no room for personal attacks and anything considered as this will be removed.

thank you
  • Options
    AskiAski Member Posts: 263
    edited November 2009
    I've voted no not so much because they are not of interest to me, but I feel that this is one area that would suit a sub forum and was one of the areas I suggested in the thread Rich made about forum improvements.

Aski :)
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2009
    hey rich i can understand why TENOFSPADE'S post was removed but can you p'm me explaining why mine was removed please? cant see what was wrong with the post?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hi

Ok why are theses deepstack threads run?

1. Are they there to do a job, yes, they are there for a reminder, and yes they do work, I still get contacted to thank me for reminding them, so success

2. Thery are there to try to encourage newer, and older playes to play in a well structured torunament that is not push all the time and have great banter, yes we do have newer players playing, and railing willing to learn poker, success

3. One of the deepstacks was dying a very painful, yet underserved death, I asked if I could help with the advertising of this to try to save this tourny and was alowed to, no I dont have the bankrollto play in it, that does not mean I want it to die though, I am glad to say numbers have increased in this particular deepstack, success.

4. As you all may known, I do this on a totally voluntary basis, and do the thread mostly when tikay is unavailable to do them as he started them and, only when he is extremely busy will I do them, and am very happy and honoured to do then truth be told, but when tikay is avalable am also more than happy to let him take back the reigns.

This thread proves that the forum is aware that the thread are there, and some of the posts prove they still do the job they are meant to do (as well,as messages not posted on here), so therefore obvioulsy still a need.
  • Options
    webby234webby234 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2009
    its all about opinions bazza and 44.6% think they clogg up the place? i dont mind seeing the odd one fluttering about reminding people but the other day there was about 5 on the first page and that is just way too much for a single deepstack, everybody is entitled to their opinion and mine is we dont need so many of these
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hi webby

Yup, but it also means that 56% see tham as essential or dont mind either way ;)
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited November 2009
    Hi Ok why are theses deepstack threads run? 1. Are they there to do a job, yes, they are there for a reminder, and yes they do work, I still get contacted to thank me for reminding them, so success 2. Thery are there to try to encourage newer, and older playes to play in a well structured torunament that is not push all the time and have great banter, yes we do have newer players playing, and railing willing to learn poker, success 3. One of the deepstacks was dying a very painful, yet underserved death, I asked if I could help with the advertising of this to try to save this tourny and was alowed to, no I dont have the bankrollto play in it, that does not mean I want it to die though, I am glad to say numbers have increased in this particular deepstack, success. 4. As you all may known, I do this on a totally voluntary basis, and do the thread mostly when tikay is unavailable to do them as he started them and, only when he is extremely busy will I do them, and am very happy and honoured to do then truth be told, but when tikay is avalable am also more than happy to let him take back the reigns. This thread proves that the forum is aware that the thread are there, and some of the posts prove they still do the job they are meant to do (as well,as messages not posted on here), so therefore obvioulsy still a need.
    Posted by acebarry10
    Sorry Barry but you seem to have posted in defence of yourself. Webby hasn't as far as i'm aware made any comment about people making the threads but more that there seemed to be a lot of these threads. As stated in my previous post i don't want to restrict what people post up here but i can say that constantly bumping a thread with posts like " 1 person entered" and "now up to 6" gives a false impression of the popularity of that thread. I understand your bumping this to keep it prominant but that may be shipping other threads off to page 2 that may get more interest in them if they were not artifically bumped.

I don't understand saying a tournament was dying a death that was unjustified, if no one wanted to play it then it is dying a very justified death. Sky will put on the tournaments that people want to play and ultimatly it is the poker players pound that will decide if a tournament survives. At some point people may have to ask themselves the hard questions such as "if these tournaments need constant forum support for people to bother entering, then are they really worth the effort???? "

I'm not saying that they arn't as i don't play them but i don't see any other form of tourny either in jepardy or so heavily supported by forum bumps as additional advertising. If people see the feeds on the poker lobby and still don't want to play then thats them voting with their feet (or their mouse buttons is supose)