You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What happened yesterday? - Day 1 of UKOPS

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

Reports and an abundance of assorted waffle will follow shortly.

Comments

• Options

Good morning.

Before we get started on Friday, I posed a question on the write-up for Thursday, featuring this photograph;

2 readers replied, a good response rate considering only about 5 folks read the whole thing.

So shout-outs to @Angmar2626 & @MAXALLY, both of whom were correct, as yes, it was Patrick Leonard at the BITB grindhouse, it was Patrick far right, & it was also entangled with the current Party Poker/Bankroll Supply debate on 2+2. Quite a scary story in some ways, though much of the thread is complete tosh. Patrick is a sensationally good poker player, but maybe not so good at touchy-feely stuff, and it would never have occurred to him how disturbing that photo was to recreational players. “grind houses” are ten a penny of course, but really, if you are a high profile poker player, it’s probably not wise to send those sort of messages to recreationals.

Somehow, I can't help but feel it'll be a while before a Staking House publishes one of those photos again.

• Options

UKOPS 01, £22 entry £4,000 BH

We take it for granted that Online MTT’s always start on time, but for those of us who played a lot of Live poker back in the day it’s still a novelty that an MTT starts on time. I played hundreds of Live MTT’s & if 5% of them started on time I’d be very surprised, most started at least 30 minutes late. Of course, in those days, players who arrived after a single hand had been dealt were not allowed to play, but arriving on time only to have to wait 45 minutes for the unpunctual stragglers used to annoy me almost as much as improperly used exclamation marks. It wasn't that long ago, either.

Anyway, UKOPS 01 kicked off on time, naturally, & beat guarantee by 24%, so a solid start.

Pride of place went to @yoozer, with @Campot2 runner-up & our old friend @Wacko90 on the bottom step of the podium & @Gambelo in 6th.

The fearsome & fearless @railtard11 snuck into 16th, ahead of @lyonsbob06 in 20th.

33rd was @bulls-up, a cattle farmer one assumes, with @MAXALLY collecting some bounty shrapnel in 37th.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    It’s not just players who look forward to UKOPS with a mixture of excitement and fear, Sky Poker also put their collective necks on the block, & I can tell you that the Office sit and watch the entries in real-time, dreading repeated overlay. Overlay is pure loss, comes off the bottom line, so it’s quite a gamble. As a general rule, James carries full responsibility for Overlay, whilst Sam takes the plaudits when things go well.

Don’t forget, a Poker Room carries zero risk in cash games or SNG’s, it just takes the 10% reg fees tyvm, but in MTT’s there is certainly a degree of risk. I’m sure you’ll all be pleased to know that Sam & James slept soundly last night, as it was a pretty good evening from their side of the table. Whether that will still be the case a week or 10 days in, when bankroll fatigue sets in remains to be seen. Here’s how it went for Sky Poker last night;

UKOPS 01 – beat guarantee by 24%

UKOPS 02 – beat guarantee by 32%

UKOPS 03 – beat guarantee by 52%

UKOPS 04 – beat guarantee by 2.5%

UKOPS 05 – missed guarantee by 1.25% (one pesky runner shy, pfft)

UKOPS 06 – beat guarantee by 11%.

Don’t think Sky Poker will quibble about that, 5 ticks & a flesh wound.

Let's hope for their sake it stays as flesh wounds throughout this UKOPS.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    UKOPS 02, £110 entry, £15,000 BH

This was the Main so Sky really wanted to see this one get across the Guarantee line, & it did so comfortably.

When the dust settled, it was @railtard11 who took the honours for his 2nd cash of the evening. This guy is a poker beast, and a much-changed man since he became a Dad & I’m delighted for him. It’s barely 6 years since he was the UK’s number 1 ranked Online player, but these days he has cut down the volume & seems happy playing a good % of his volume here at Sky Poker.

So our man has the honour of being the first to take one of these in this UKOPS;

@Gambelo, 6th in UKOPS 01, made it 2 finals on the bounce with the runner-up spot, but the real eye-opener was third place, which went Ambo. Aka @NChanning

Which just goes to show, the old fella – the wrong side of 50 years old remember - can still walk the walk, though we know he can still talk the talk. So after 11 hours frantically searching google images, I managed to find TWO photos of him not talking. What were the chances of that?

@Scotty77 finished 6th, & final-table bubbler was @limp2lose.

@FeelGroggy was 21st, way ahead of UKOPS challenge buddy @RSPCA12 down in 112th. One up to the Boy.

Aston Villa fan @68Trebor was 37th, scant consolation for Villa losing 1-0 to QPR.

@IrishRose was going along nicely before coming a cropper in 68th, just ahead of loyal Sky Poker lover @EASYFIX in 73rd.

Meanwhile, out with the washing were @Timmyrara (154th), @madprof (156th), & poor old @CXE1 who finished plum last. Well someone has to, right?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Talking of QPR winning last night, they started the season with 4 straight defeats, 2 goals scored & 14 conceded, included a whopping 7-1 loss to West Brom. Sack McLaren came the cry.

So who’d have thought QPR would have won 4 from 5 & drawn the other in October & be on the fringes of a play-off spot so soon after that start? McLaren is the hero now. Football fans, fickle or what?

• Options

UKOPS 03, £11 entry, £5,000 BH

This was the Mini, and this was the night’s star performer, knocking the Guarantee right out of the park.

Winner was @supersibb, with @ISULDURRKK 2nd & @Tsarina 5th.

12th was @TheDart, 13th @GregUK , 14th @MRBURNS4 & 15th @lyonsbob06 , with @day4eire76 266th. Spare a thought for @Tea4three who was, in horse racing parlance, tailed off.

• Options

We’ve been following the World Series Baseball (well I have…) so we’d best carry on, & last night saw the Dodgers pull 1 back to reduce the deficit in the 7 game series to 1-2.

It’s quite clever how the Americans monetise sport. Baseball, NBA & Ice Hockey’s Stanley Cup all climax their season with a best of 7 affair. Best of 7 means lots & lots of lovely gate money & TV income. I’m struggling to think of any major British Sport that ends the season with a best of 7, our nearest equivalent I can think of is the play-offs in football. Can you think of any?

Anyway, I’m rather hoping the Dodgers pull level in the next game, purely on the spurious grounds that I actually drove past the Dodger Stadium, on the outskirts of Los Angeles, 2 years ago. Does the USA do great stadiums? Just a bit.

Eat your heart out Barnsley FC.

• Options

UKOPS 04, £22 entry £4,000 BH

This was the 9pm affair, & it fell over the line with 205 entries, needing 200.

Winner was the very successful @henners10 with @POKEY2011 in 3rd & @MrDooWop in 6th, the latter getting his customary mention just because his name makes me smile. Love happy names, so much better than those @Ibustyourarse sorts.

Deep run in 13th for Guitar Bloke & posh musician @duesenburg , and @MADMOO who has been playing here for ever was in 38th, whilst last across the line and so first to finish was @darsum33.

Talking of @duesenburg aka Guitar Bloke, have you ever wondered how he took that alias? Here you go, this is a Duesenburg guitar.

Which is nice, yeah, I get that. But not one tenth as nice as this Duesenburg, which might just be the sexiest coolest motor car ever built.

I'd marry that car given half a chance.
  • Options

The press & Media generally are always quick to condemn bullying, & quite right too, but they ain’t so bad at bullying themselves, & when they zone in on a target they don’t half give them some stick.

The latest example is Sir Philip Green, & they are on his case good and proper.

Now they might just have a point, we don’t know really, but Peter Hain undoubtedly abused Parliamentary Privilege in naming him. Parliamentary privilege serves a very good purpose, but two wrongs don’t make a right & it was bang out of order to spill the beans imo.

OK, Sir Philip – perhaps soon to be just plain Mr Green - is rich beyond our wildest dreams, has super yachts to spare & is a proper fat cat by any standard, so is a soft target, but I really don’t like it when the Press & Media bully like this. It’s not like the press are exactly squeaky clean themselves, is it?

Poor old Sir Cliff, though for balance, if they had got on his case about his jacket, maybe they had a point. You’ve had a shocker there Cliff. Pretty sure he must go to the same tailor as Sky Sam.

• Options
    edited October 2018

UKOPS 05, £55 entry £4,000 BH

I’ve waited a good while to be able to say “well done @IrishRose UKOPS champ” but the time has come so huge congrats to Rose who will be an immensely popular winner. She turns up at almost every SPT no matter where it is, even Vegas, & tries her heart out.

She might not be Justin Bonomo, buy my word she’s a trier, so well done Rose, chuffed to bits for you.

@5ausages was 3rd, @alancarr12 5th & @limp2lose rounded off the Final table.

@devil-tear final table bubbled, with @kapowblamz 10th, @Scotty77 12th , @thesaw 16th & @itsover4u 17th.

Rose is no stranger to big cashes, mind, this was after she collected a whopping £6,300. Anyone care to name the location & occasion?

Well done Rose.

• Options

Sport today?

A distinctly lack-lustre Premier League set of games, so maybe the opening race at Cheltenham, a 16 runner handicap chase where they go 5/1 the field is a better bet. Love the jumps at Cheltenham, proper racing that. Anyone care to give us the winner?

Further afield, qualifying for the Mexico F1 GP takes place, but if you want something to really excite, try & watch MOTO GP from Australia, though sadly, Carl Crutchlow will be MIA after breaking his ankle in practice yesterday Ouchio.

• Options

UKOPS 06, £22 entry £2,000 BH

So, finally, we reach the end of Day 1, & if you are getting tired of reading this, think how I feel, writing this splurge.

Winner was the popular @Lmfaoallin, 3rd was @ZIPPY146 with @splashies in 4th and @Curt360x27 in 6th.

@MAXALLY had a deep run (13th), as did @ItsOver4U (14th) & @devil_tear (16th).

I must of course give a shout-out to @TommyD, down in 109th (of 111), especially as his beloved Spurs have had a shocker of a week too.

Kick a man when he’s down? You bet, Tommy can take it.

• Options

Tonight?

UKOPS 07 Rebuy 7:00pm £22 £4,000 10 2,000 (with 4,000 add-on)

UKOPS 08 Bounty Hunter* 8:00pm £110 £15,000 12 10,000

UKOPS 09 Mini Rebuy Bounty Hunter 8:30pm £11 £5,000 10 2,000 (with 4,000 add-on)

UKOPS 10 Bounty Hunter 9:00pm £22 £4,000 10 3,000

UKOPS 11 Turbo Bounty Hunter 10:00pm £55 £4,000 7 5,000

UKOPS 12 Hyper Bounty Hunter 11:00pm £22 £2,000 5 2,000

And so, at last, you’ll be relieved to know……

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    Not too shabby for the 1st day write up. Can only improve tomorrow B)

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    Tikay10 said:

Talking of Villa losing last night, they started the season with 4 straight defeats, 2 goals scored & 14 conceded, included a whopping 7-1 loss to West Brom. Sack McLaren came the cry.

So who’d have thought QPR would have earned 14 out of 15 points in October & be on the fringes of a play-off spot so soon after that start? McLaren is the hero now. Football fans, fickle or what?

QPR got 14 out of 15 points available!
    Some feat that
  • Options
    yesroyyesroy Member Posts: 79
    It was good to see this sort of coverage of Sky Poker UPOPS again since they stopped the TV shows and I enjoyed this read but you tailed off and made it seem like it was a hassle for you to do and a hassle for me to read. At one point you said it was splurge - I am not familiar with this expression but I have assumed it is an excretion of some kind.

It might have been hassle for you to type, but I can assure you it is appreciated and I enjoyed most of the article.

Perhaps to save time next time you should not include the current events coverage, propaganda and memes but I suppose without watching the tables or recording some hands to gif them in the thread you can't do much more than list the winners and some places and it would be a short and terrible read.
  • Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    Goodjob railtard.

Thanks for write up Tikay
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,730
    Great write-up thanks.
    I’m hoping to play this evening, it would be great to see my name here ( Bringing up the rear, in horse racing terms is odds on fav.)
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    Nice work with the write up old boy.
    Fun read as always