You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

SR23's May priorities, including reaching Priority. A diary.

124»

Comments

• Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    mumsie said:

SR23 said:

Is this this weeks points Steve ?

If so, 6 more points for £12.50?
    That's since May 1st, dude. Surprised at how quickly the points have shot up but I do tend to play slightly more hands than some other players. Thanks for popping by.
  • Options
    ALAN_18ALAN_18 Member Posts: 225
    SR23 said:

ALAN_18 said:

SR23 said:

Slender update.

Muffined off 10 or so buy-ins playing badly and running badly. Not an ideal combination the old run bad/play bad. Oh well, at least I got a few points.

Feels like I've got a few hangovers, too. Oh well, at least I had a good time. Semi-asked out a ridiculously cool/hot barmaid last night. Let's see, shall we?

Off to play the Vegas freeroll thing now then lie in bed for four/five hours and try and read a book from beginning to end. Glglgl me.

Profit: £73 (b/r £223)

Hi Mate, how many hours is that overall now ? Nice to see you doing well and still in profit anyway. I know it is still a small sample but I bet if you put you worked out your bb/100 win rate then it would still be pretty high. Keep up the hard work an best of luck with your Vegas Freeroll :smile:
    Appreciate it, thanks @ALAN_18 for the good wishes. I was something like 5/17 in the Vegas freeroll and busted 16th. Sad times, really felt it was on for a minute or two.

Think I've played something like 12 hours, will need to check though. Could have done without dusting off a bunch of buy-ins earlier but also really glad it happened today rather than at the beginning before I'd built up something of a roll, otherwise I'd be toast right about now.

Best of luck with your endeavours too, dude.
    The bold is pretty much what happened to me from day one so unfortunately I am back down to 4NL to rebuild. Will be following this closely though mate to get a feel for the high and the lows that you will be experiencing as after playing 10NL with you for a couple of days it is fair to say you are one of the better regs and although it is a shame to see you drop that amount of buy-ins (and I do not mean this in a bad way at all) it is refreshing to see that this can happen to even the best of regs at a certain stake.

I really hope that did not come across as me being glad that you dropped 10 buy-ins as that is not the case at all, it's just when it happens to yourself you start to question your game but when you see it happen to someone else who you know is a solid player then you know that it can happen to anyone. Sorry to hear about the Vegas Freeroll, nice effort anyway and keep going with this challenge mate I am sure you will be at 20NL before you know it mate. GG :smile:
  • Options
    ALAN_18ALAN_18 Member Posts: 225
    Just a suggestion as it something that I was planning on doing with challenge. Why don't you keep your cash table earnings separate from your weekly cash bonuses and rakeback etc and then when it comes to moving up to 20NL then you can work out a rough winrate for your 10NL play.

Say if you are averaging about 500 hands/hr now then you are running at over 10bb/100 so far. Then again it may not be that accurate as I think I have read that you have already mixed in a few 20NL tables ? Either way keep doing what you are doing because its working, Well Played Mate :smile:
  • Options
    Wicked messages, thanks Alan.

I have been adding one or two 20nl tables, yes. I was planning on lumping rakeback, bonuses, freeroll/tournament binks etc all together and at the end of the month saying, "This is what I made from a £150 roll" - assuming I do make something - but appreciate what you're saying and will give a good think. Lots of live and online players who I know meticulously record their sessions/winrates but, like in life I suppose, I've always been a bit more slapdash.

Sorry to hear you've had to drop down but I'm sure you've got plenty of bouncebackability and a good enough game to be back on 10nl (and beyond) in no time. glglgl.
  • Options
    Weekly update time. Initially there were eight goals but @Donttelmum graciously added a ninth. They were/are:

1. Reach priority. To make it a bit harder I've withdrawn to precisely £150. I'm going to start at 10nl, move up to (some tables of) 20nl when I've got roughly 15 buy-ins, move up to (some tables of) 30nl when I've got roughly 15 buy-ins and probably stay there because everyone above that is too good. We'll see. I'll also play a couple of £5 tournaments when the mood takes me and the nightly freerolls/other stuff and hopefully bink or semi-bink. After a dreadful start (down four or five buy-ins within half an hour of beginning the challenge) I had a glorious upswing and was up something like 17 buy-ins in roughly nine hours. Then I downswonged a bunch. Now I've doubled my roll to £305 and have 1648 points. Whilst the points don't look like we're on track, I'm not too concerned - the priority is nudging the bankroll up and then crushing the points at the higher limits in the last couple of weeks. Good old plans.

2. Write daily detailed notes for a book I want to write. Working title: "Think and grow hair." It's about personal growth/self-development, I think. Crikey, I've actually done this, even when hungover. Good old hangovers.

3. Get bigger arms. Nope, probably a bit smaller if anything.

4. Swim a mile in a day. Nope, but feels doable. Swam half a mile the day before yesterday and it felt fine.

5. Read four books. I've read The Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan/Quentin Fiore, finished reading Design as Art by Bruno Munari, read The Strangest Secret by Earl Nightingale (although this is more of a pamphlet, less of a book, so I'm not counting it) and have started reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and The Extra Man by Jonathan Ames. Think we'll get there on this one.

6. Stop smoking. Nope, but I've cut down. Good old cutting down.

7. Have 25 alcohol free days. This is going to be tricky. I've already used up two of my six drinking days.

8. Play 10 live poker sessions. I've played four. May play a fifth tonight.

and 9. Get laid. Pfft, no.
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    I only pop in to check the progress of #9
  • Options

I only pop in to check the progress of #9

I only write this thing for you to pop in to check the progress of #9.
  • Options
    CHALLENGE ABANDONED

My teaching in the Netherlands was pretty much confirmed on Friday, absolutely confirmed today and I've already made a start on the work and am travelling over there (by train, @Tikay10 ) later this month. That means I won't be able to play online poker. That means this challenge is over. Priority was always the chief goal but I'll still have a bash at the other elements of the challenge and update at the end of the month.

I took 10% of profits to date and bought this stuff for the foodbank across the road. It's something, at least. Thanks very much for reading all, I may try a similar (hopefully longer) challenge in the autumn. Peace out.

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    Have a great time and your donation is a great idea!

( I did some work in a college/lycee(14-18 yr olds) in Rotterdam and the staff and students were great fun)

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,171

What a fabulous gesture, top man Steve.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    Evening Steve
    You are a star, that’s a fab gesture. I wish you well on your travels young man.
  • Options
    Thanks very much gentlemen, appreciate your kind words. Have some (way-too-grand sounding) plans to set up my own charity at some point - there are tons of social problems here/everywhere - but, well, let's see.

After Holland I'm planning on a mini European poker break. Thinking of Prague/Vienna for a few days each. Anyone played here and/or got any other ideas? Preferably somewhere I can reach by train, @Tikay10
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Great gesture with the donation.
    Good luck in Holland and on the European tour. (Not the golf one, obviously)
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,261
    Great gesture. As someone who volunteers at foodbanks can I assure you that donations like this REALLY make a difference to families in crisis.

Have a great time in Holland and good luck.
  • Options
    Cheers at @dragon1964 - it costs just £35 to get the Eurostar from London-Amsterdam which is all kinds of wonderful. Hopefully the mini-European tour (not the golf one) will go well.

That's really heartening to hear, @TheEdge949 - I do sporadically (2-3 times a month, probably) shop for stuff then take it down to the foodbank and it's good to know it makes a difference. I normally do it in the shadows and don't tell anyone about it but it seems I've morphed from that to taking pictures of what I donate and posting them on the internet. Go figure. Thanks again.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Good luck with your European adventures.

Even if people publicising their charitable donations comes from a place of narcissism, I think the benefit to be gained by inspiring others to follow suit can only be positive on the whole. I though the 10% profit donation of yours was very classy and I wish for much good karma heading your way :)
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Some people donate supermarket own brands because you can get more for your money.

Some people donate premium brand items because that is what they would buy for themselves.

Whatever anyone decides to donate should be applauded.

I would suggest that you are in the latter category based on the photo above.

Conclusion.

You must have a serious love of Pom-Bears.

Good luck.

• Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    SR23 said:

Cheers at @dragon1964 - it costs just £35 to get the Eurostar from London-Amsterdam which is all kinds of wonderful. Hopefully the mini-European tour (not the golf one) will go well.

That's really heartening to hear, @TheEdge949 - I do sporadically (2-3 times a month, probably) shop for stuff then take it down to the foodbank and it's good to know it makes a difference. I normally do it in the shadows and don't tell anyone about it but it seems I've morphed from that to taking pictures of what I donate and posting them on the internet. Go figure. Thanks again.

All kinds of wonderful sounds great.
    I for one am really glad you posted the pic, it serves to raise awareness, anyone who troubles themselves to pour scorn on the gesture must be a very bitter individual.
    Have fun on your travels Steve.
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    I'm only going to have one question when you get back from Amsterdam Steve. You can call it Netherlands all you like but the question doesn't change. Have a good time, a very good time.
  • Options
    Thanks for your fine comments @Duesenberg @dragon1964 and @tomgoodun

@Donttelmum - I may do a mini-diary of Amsterdam, Prague and Vienna along the lines of "SR23 playing live cash poker on the continent that has nothing to do with getting/not getting laid." Watch this space.