You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK

StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,127
edited May 2019 in Poker Chat
Hi guys. Great News Report below: (Fair play to Prince William and Gareth Southgate)

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-15/william-to-attend-wembley-stadium-mental-health-campaign-launch/?fbclid=IwAR0Qh9GnX9PWH8dvjk43s6Q0a7MiTjCdyI3awlpx88wvvZKLwIr5ieI5fNA

Anyhow, I am "coming out" so to speak, see below:

Hi friends. It's Mental Heath Awareness week and I have decided to make public that I have a condition called Bi-Polar Affective Disorder.
I have a great life with the love and support of my amazing family and friends.
Fortunately my quality of life is wonderful thanks to the brilliant medical practitioners who found the right combinations of medication and trust me to be self aware enough to manage my condition successfully with minimal input from them.
It's not always straight forward and sometimes life can be tough, but fundamentally I am happy!
I thought it was about time I went public here and encourage others to do the same.

HAPPY MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK!

I do very much realise that I am "ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES" and that some people really suffer with their conditions. But there is hope for these people if we are more connected/compassionate towards them.

Thanks for listening and to all the support I have had from my wonderful SKY POKER friends.

Comments

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Surprising that there has been no replies to this. Politics and other stuff seem to have the most traffic on here. Real issues seem not to matter to some still.

Respect for being strong enough to post this Graham, I know it wasnt an easy thing to do. Like I have already said to you, always here if you need anything/chat to someone.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,128

To be fair, I think it's a difficult subject to comment upon, but folks will respond once the ice is broken. Don't think we can assume "it does not matter" to most. It does, it's just a delicate area.

Here's how Wiki describes "Bipolar_disorder", though that's Bipolar in it's widest, non-specific case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Taking of "delicate areas", read this, (which also involves mental health) it will take your breath away....

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/forums#/discussion/comment/1033991
  • Options
    engyengy Member Posts: 723
    As Maxally said respect for posting this bud, a couple of people I worked with had bipolar disorder and I could tell the medication made a real difference, glad you have a great support network through family and friends.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Always a difficult subject.
    I have been bipolar for as long as I can remember. I am also slightly Manic.

Effectively, my good days are slightly better than other peoples' good days, and my bad days slightly worse.

It is important to recognise that depression often (not always) has little to do with what life throws at you. I have been lucky enough to have a small but supportive family (who mostly have the same propensities) and a wife who is both generally supportive (and brutal) when needs be. Strangely, I can even feel guilty about being depressed for no good reason.

I have not needed medication. But I have needed to learn when to step away from things that might seem superficially important, but really don't matter. Now all I have to learn is to keep away :)

I cannot discuss other people's depression-related needs. Not because I don't want to, but because it fuels my own.

But if someone just wants a drink at an SPT to let real life in to help, I'm there.
  • Options
    glencoeladglencoelad Member Posts: 1,505
    @StayOrGo thanks for posting this up, I have been away for a few days , then missed catching up with the forum . I feel it is so important for folk to chat/ let out the feelings within. So far I have personally not suffered with any mental heath issues ,
    but my elder son Drew does , and once getting medication sorted ,has coped a lot better. It took him years to finally seek help, but is glad of it now.
    He wont mind me mentioning him , he pours his words out publicly with his Hip Hop music AKA WERD SOS on you tube/ spotify etc " my state of mind " one that springs to mind.
    I find that once talking about these issues we realist how riff it is,
    how difficult it can be to get proper medical help , and yes i do feel this Government has added to the lack of help available with cutbacks.
    Once again thanks for the post, have a good weekend, and stop F crushing me at the tables ! X
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,028
    Hi G, thank you for posting this and massive respect to you for doing so. I know, from experience, admitting that there is a problem in the first place is a very difficult thing to do but I am glad you have such a support system in place to help should you need it. Again, massive respect to you

Andy
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Many thanks to you all for your supportive feedback.

I do realise that I am one of the lucky ones, in as much as I manage my condition OK. Unfortunately there are many people who suffer in silence and either don't seek help, or that their symptoms are so severe that life is very hard for them.

If you have friends or family members that you sense may be struggling, maybe get in touch with them, even if it's just to say hi.

This can make a big difference to the individual concerned, just knowing that someone really cares about them.

Thanks again!

G

P.S. @Essexphil Respect for coming out about your condition too. Great that you are able to manage without medication. Do you use any coping strategies, meditation, going for walks, being in nature or anything like that? What do you find helps it and what can hinder it.

Everyone is different, but for me Poker is a massive assistance in managing my condition.

It may sound strange I know, but when my mind is occupied in the cognitive function of playing Poker, the rest of the psychological mind switches off and an inner peace is felt. So in the most part I feel completely relaxed when playing. If I don't feel relaxed then it is a sign that I need to slow down, or address some subconscious negative thoughts, which I do and then come back to it when feeling good again.

Playing Poker is a big part of my coping strategy and indeed is my livelihood, which I am extremely grateful for on both counts.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Every person is different. What works for one person does not necessarily work for the next.

My main coping strategy is learning to rest. By that I mean emptying your mind of pretty much everything from time to time. It is all too easy to fixate on things, and it actually gets in the way of achieving things by doing so.

Let's take poker as an example. It is important to put the hours in, and play sufficient numbers of the right tables, to earn money. But there needs to be a balance:no-one can play all the right tables, or for too long. Similarly, when I am playing live, I will often take a level off. I completely tighten my range, and just watch others for a while. It has the reward of providing a rest, and also a misdirection to others.

What hinders? Not a lot. Mostly, it is seemingly random. I need to blow off steam for a minute or two when busting out of a big tournament. I'm not listening to my bad beat story, so people only need to pretend to listen to it.

Balance is important. I think a lot of bipolar people are borderline obsessive. For me, it is important to surround myself with people and things that prevent that becoming part of a problem.
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    Essexphil said:

Every person is different. What works for one person does not necessarily work for the next.

My main coping strategy is learning to rest. By that I mean emptying your mind of pretty much everything from time to time. It is all too easy to fixate on things, and it actually gets in the way of achieving things by doing so.

Let's take poker as an example. It is important to put the hours in, and play sufficient numbers of the right tables, to earn money. But there needs to be a balance:no-one can play all the right tables, or for too long. Similarly, when I am playing live, I will often take a level off. I completely tighten my range, and just watch others for a while. It has the reward of providing a rest, and also a misdirection to others.

What hinders? Not a lot. Mostly, it is seemingly random. I need to blow off steam for a minute or two when busting out of a big tournament. I'm not listening to my bad beat story, so people only need to pretend to listen to it.

Balance is important. I think a lot of bipolar people are borderline obsessive. For me, it is important to surround myself with people and things that prevent that becoming part of a problem.

Do you think Haysie fits that bill ?
  • Options
    SnufferSnuffer Member Posts: 3,057

Essexphil said:

Pretty appalling attempt at a joke dont you think?
  • Options
    Snuffer said:

Essexphil said:

Pretty appalling attempt at a joke dont you think?
    Not really no , what do you think ?
  • Options
    So taking the p!ss out of people with mental health issues is acceptable?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Tell you all what I think , it's very easy for people to label themselves ....even easier for people to want to .
    Go back a few decades , it would be viewed as an excuse for people to act inappropriately .
    There are obv people who have genuine problems , that is without doubt and they need help , and that mental health care is purely lacking .
    But the popularity of developing " bi poplar ", is a little un pallatable for me ...I don't make any any apologies for upsetting people , this is my genuine viewpoint .
    Society is such at the moment that "we " seem to need to need to find reasons to excuse our behaviour .
  • Options

Tell you all what I think , it's very easy for people to label themselves ....even easier for people to want to .
    Go back a few decades , it would be viewed as an excuse for people to act inappropriately .
    There are obv people who have genuine problems , that is without doubt and they need help , and that mental health care is purely lacking .
    But the popularity of developing " bi poplar ", is a little un pallatable for me ...I don't make any any apologies for upsetting people , this is my genuine viewpoint .
    Society is such at the moment that "we " seem to need to need to find reasons to excuse our behaviour .

Dodged my question,

Simple Yes or No will do.
  • Options

Whoa, let's not be suggesting our adversies are bipolar or in any other way unwell.

No more of that please.

• Options
    Snuffer said:

Dodged my question,

Simple Yes or No will do.
    Not taking the pi$$ out of anyone ...people with genuine mental health problems need more support than this government are supplying .
    Try reading what I've typed
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Hey guys, lets not turn this thread into a slanging match, whether or not we agree with people's opinions we have to allow them to have their own view, doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

From my perspective, I take responsibility for all my actions as I don't feel I am un-well enough to not be responsible for them. So I never blame any of my poor actions on my condition.

I agree about labels, I won't say for example "I am Bi-Polar" because then my condition defines me. I am Graham, a person, plain and simple, however it is a fact that I have been medically diagnosed with the condition by several experts. Doesn't make me "special" just a bit "different."

I do feel it is unacceptable however to directly point at someone's behaviour and make unsubstantiated suggestions relating to their mental health, this just lacks human decency.

I appreciate that this can be an emotive subject particularly by those that are affected either themselves or have family and friends that are affected.

Anyhow lets respect all views and not turn this thread into something negative.

Cheers,

Graham
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Whoa, let's not be suggesting our adversies are bipolar or in any other way unwell.

No more of that please.

Why , cos he's a mate of yours ?
  • Options
    I'm not taking the pi$$ out of anyone with genuine problems ...merely saying that it is very convenient in this day and age to label yourself