You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

£500 + 3 months = ???

124»

Comments

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Bump!
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    Challenge complete! Back up to £500!
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Glad to see all your hard work folding AK 3-handed is starting to pay off
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    Just seen your result - Very nice win Sir

I was worried my BR challenge was going same way as yours but this must put you back up there
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited September 2020
    More Mini wins than The Bates?
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,281
    Nice one Dues.
  • Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    vwp dues!!
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Thanks for all the nice messages guys :)

In terms of an update, as had probably become rather obvious, I essentially abandoned this challenge/diary a little while back.

I had started this to boost my ever flagging motivation to play and an unfortunate perfect storm emerged from almost the get-go. This started with some relatively persistent run bad in MTT's (with some undoubted play bad too!), and the emergence of back-to-back rake races proved to be the fatal blow.

Although I have a reasonable track record in MTT's (albeit from a fairly small sample size), I just don't enjoy them enough to consistently grind away in them. My favourite part of poker is unravelling the complexity of the decision tree in deep stack scenarios (100bb+) and it truly pains me that the most important stages of a tournament are invariably reduced to the most simplistic of choices - does one shove or fold here.

My hope was that the greater share of this challenge would be played out on the cash game streets. However, rake races just make the games truly dull and tables often become a very borderline +EV prospect in the high rake environment of low stakes cash games. I also believe these kind of promotions can have a longer term negative effect on the ecology of a site given the increased speed at which the deposits of recreational players will be chewed up, combined with the greater lack of fun those players will have in the process. My volume has actually picked up a fair bit over the last week or two but a lot of this has been on other sites as I struggle to fully support a promo I feel does more harm than good to a site I am otherwise very fond of.

So, a slightly grumpy old man update but thanks again all for the nice words. Maybe I'll try and have another proper stab at doing this as the winter months draw in :).