You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The BowieEffect in poker

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,861
edited October 2020 in Poker Chat
Some of you may have met a lad named Andy Wilson at a few SPT's, mainly in Manchester. He's a very serious young man, & plays on 'Stars under the alias "BowieEffect", where I gather he does OK.

This morning he Tweeted a photo of his set-up.

I'm a pure recreational, and to be honest, the photo sort of scared me & bothered me. He's got all sorts of player aids open there in the form of various charts. Don't think they quite count as RTA, but that line is blurry.

I should stress that this is not a pop at Andy, I imagine many (most?) Pros & Semi Pros have the same sort of thing to a greater or lesser degree. It's all perfectly legit & within the rules AFAIK. I expect many of Team Big Boy on Sky Poker do the same sort of thing.

If you were a recreational just starting your poker journey, or an existing recreational, it's a bit daunting. This is what we have to beat.

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,861

What is your initial reaction on seeing that set up?

• DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    My brain would explode hard enough concentrating on four tables.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    My initial reaction is - ban him on all sites. Why would you have 12 monitors to help you make decisions and show it off like that? I notice he's moaning about GG banning RTA users as well.

I played with this guy at SPT Manchester on 2 different tables and he never said a single word the whole time.

He is about as close to being a robot as a human could be, live and online.
  • MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,235
    Tikay10 said:

Thats one of the reasons i like the "no timebank" on Sky.

Wonder how many players on other sites are getting in a tricky spot and putting it into a solver to tell them what to do? (whilst also slowing the game down, and putting recreational players off)

• CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    The picture looks photoshopped to me. At least the graphics on the monitors do.

No idea what the need is for that amount of monitors if it really is his setup.
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863
    Definitely photoshopped - eg top right monitor the chart extends past the monitor screen
    edited October 2020
    Cammykaze said:

The picture looks photoshopped to me. At least the graphics on the monitors do.

No idea what the need is for that amount of monitors if it really is his setup.

Here's the actual Tweet. The Comments are well worth a read.

Allan23 said:

Definitely photoshopped - eg top right monitor the chart extends past the monitor screen

Ha, looks like I may have got whooshed. Perhaps he was making some sort of point? I know he was a bit cross with GG's line on RTA.

• DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    I'd say at best he is in a grey area, though it is unclear how static those charts are. Like right now he is showing two charts that are repeated 3 times, but you worry he has a way of scrolling them.

If he is just using the screens to show multiple tables that is fine, but if he is doing that then why show a picture with range charts? Just seems a bit dumb if you aren't planning to use the extra screens like that. Just seems a big own goal. I wouldn't want him using all that stu

FWIW If I am in team big boy, I normally have 6 tables max. My only external stuff is a bit of music, and maybe youtube/sky sports if I have fewer tables. I have no tracker for other sites as it broke a few months ago and I got used to doing without. I think I observe better
    I think it is wrong to assume we all do this kind of nonsense, and I don't think it is good to imply we do @Tikay10
    Ye must be a joke then but I have no idea what the joke is.
    Doooobs said:

I'd say at best he is in a grey area, though it is unclear how static those charts are. Like right now he is showing two charts that are repeated 3 times, but you worry he has a way of scrolling them.

If he is just using the screens to show multiple tables that is fine, but if he is doing that then why show a picture with range charts? Just seems a bit dumb if you aren't planning to use the extra screens like that. Just seems a big own goal. I wouldn't want him using all that stu

FWIW If I am in team big boy, I normally have 6 tables max. My only external stuff is a bit of music, and maybe youtube/sky sports if I have fewer tables. I have no tracker for other sites as it broke a few months ago and I got used to doing without. I think I observe better
    I think it is wrong to assume we all do this kind of nonsense, and I don't think it is good to imply we do @Tikay10

@Doooobs

Morning David.

Well I wrote "many (most?)", and I believe "many" is correct, though perhaps not "most".

Looks like the whole thing may have been a spoof anyway. Marv.

Allan23 said:

Ah, was having so much trouble posting my comment I missed this. Yep definitely photoshopped. I had noticed the repeat charts, but hadn't noticed they weren't even.

Why do you want to appear like a cheat though, just seems a really dumb strategy?
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863
    edited October 2020
    Maybe as a troll? I have zero clue about the guy, has he been accused of things in the past maybe? Its actually hard to tell if he has 10 monitors or if thats photoshopped too haha
    Doooobs said:

Allan23 said:

Ah, was having so much trouble posting my comment I missed this. Yep definitely photoshopped. I had noticed the repeat charts, but hadn't noticed they weren't even.

Why do you want to appear like a cheat though, just seems a really dumb strategy?

@Doooobs

Guess he's making some kind of point. Bowled me all ends up, fair play to him.

Ye must be a joke then but I have no idea what the joke is.

He's perhaps making a point to GG. Think most who commented on Twitter got whooshed too.
    Tikay10 said:

Doooobs said:

@Doooobs

Morning David.

Well I wrote "many (most?)", and I believe "many" is correct, though perhaps not "most".

I thimk m
    Tikay10 said:

Doooobs said:

@Doooobs

Morning David.

Yeah, I think many wil have some charts or snapshove, but that is nothing like this set up. People shouldn't be using snapshove, but dare say many do.
    I think he's saying 'hey look I have multiple monitors and multiple computers like Fedor Kruse.'
    SnapShove is the only thing I use as well, and I've only been using that for 2 weeks.
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    Tikay10 said:

I think a trip to Specsavers is long overdue :) .