You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Executed.

Comments

• hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

VespaPX said:

Defund the police?
    Will the liberal leftwing nutcase politicians calling for this give up their armed security?
    Will they remove the Capitol Hill police?

Who will you call.........Ghostbusters?

Defunding the police, as a concept, makes plenty of sense.

Better distribution of time, money and resources so that the police aren't snowed under doing stuff they aren't really trained in, and can concentrate on the 'proper' police stuff.

If a situation requires a trained mental health worker, then get a trained mental health worker to that situation and not some random copper.
    LOL You'd have a better chance of getting a trained lion tamer than a trained mental health worker.

Usual story of not enough staff, resources or commitment.

Even in the UK many social service staff are too frightened to do their jobs correctly, so you'd still need law enforcement as a back up.

You only have to look at how many mentally ill people are in our communities 24/7 and when something terrible occurs then all the politicals say how we must learn the lessons etc etc etc.

Defunding the Police won't work, making excuses for them won't work, making excuses for non compliance won't work, blaming racism from white, black, hispanic, latino, oriental, asian and indigenous gangs won't work.

Ripping up the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms and banning guns won't work either, but it might slow down the slaughter.
    I guess we best all start praying to the mythical creature in the sky then ;)

As I said, and Phil has touched upon in a lot more detail, 'defunding' the police as a concept makes lots of sense.

Perhaps difficult to put into practice, but getting the police to do police things and not be bogged down doing stuff that is beyond their training or capabilities is perfectly logical.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,133
    No that wouldn't work but you could try praying to God.

I pray to my god every day.

At least this one exists.

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,018

VespaPX said:

Defund the police?
    Will the liberal leftwing nutcase politicians calling for this give up their armed security?
    Will they remove the Capitol Hill police?

Who will you call.........Ghostbusters?

Defunding the police, as a concept, makes plenty of sense.

Better distribution of time, money and resources so that the police aren't snowed under doing stuff they aren't really trained in, and can concentrate on the 'proper' police stuff.

If a situation requires a trained mental health worker, then get a trained mental health worker to that situation and not some random copper.
    Quick call a social worker

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9480745/Shocking-moment-suspect-28-shoots-Georgia-police-officers-AK-47.html

VespaPX said:

HAYSIE said:

More 13 year old kids not complying or following orders.
    Clearly the only way to deal with an autistic teenager running away from you is to shoot them multiple times.

His mum requests a mental health worker, instead 4 trigger happy cops are sent and gun him down instead.
    Perhaps defunding the police isn't such a crazy notion after all?

http://youtu.be/ZYNPr3sxMRE

Heres a 13 year old that did seem to comply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUrkbtqshs
    What would you do?
    Chasing an armed teenager down a dark alleyway.
    When he raises his hands, is he preparing to shoot you?
    Split second to make that decision.

*Edit*
    The teenager hadn't been home for 3 days, his parents didn't report him missing.
    He had been involved in attempted armed car jackings that night.
    What's a 13 year old doing out on the streets with a gun?
    Parental responsibility ?
    The officer shouts at him to ''show me your f..king hands''.

13 year old boy goes to show him his hands, which would of course go up either in the air or onto his head.

Gets shot to death regardless.

Way to deflect though.
    Unless you have had firearms training and carried a weapon in your line of work, you will never understand the split second decisions that have to be made.
    VespaPX said:

VespaPX said:

HAYSIE said:

Clearly the only way to deal with an autistic teenager running away from you is to shoot them multiple times.

His mum requests a mental health worker, instead 4 trigger happy cops are sent and gun him down instead.

What would you do?

*Edit*
    The teenager hadn't been home for 3 days, his parents didn't report him missing.

13 year old boy goes to show him his hands, which would of course go up either in the air or onto his head.

Way to deflect though.
    Unless you have had firearms training and carried a weapon in your line of work, you will never understand the split second decisions that have to be made.
    Way to deflect.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,988
    VespaPX said:

VespaPX said:

HAYSIE said:

What would you do?

*Edit*

Way to deflect though.
    You do not have to experience that to appreciate that all the time, although there are bound to be occasions when that would be true.

What I am trying to say is not that the police should not do exactly the sort of things that you seek to defend. Rather, that they should be concentrating on things that they are undoubtedly good at and trained for, rather than being lumbered with all sorts of stuff that used to be dealt with elsewhere.

From the police's point of view, the UK is far easier than the US.

I expect our views differ on whether civilians should have the right to bear arms. But in the UK criminals rarely carry guns, and regular people very rarely do. Consequently, while I know all UK police have had weapons training, armed police have far more training, and are deployed where they are most needed. Leaving other policemen to concentrate on other stuff.

A large majority of mentally ill people are only likely to hurt 1 person-themselves. For those people, I don't want the police to have to take the place of trained mental health professionals. Just like I want the small minority who do intend to harm others to be dealt with by the police.
  • ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 903

Unfortunately for you he wasn't listening to your prayers today.

Unfortunately for you he wasn't listening to your prayers today.
    Come back to me when Everton ever win anything, cheers.

Take care.
  • ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 903
    I always do.

I always do.

Good lad.

Something had to give with still being in every comp by mid April, Chelsea more than deserved it today but we've got bigger fish to fry in the next few weeks.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,133

I always do.

Good lad.

Something had to give with still being in every comp by mid April, Chelsea more than deserved it today but we've got bigger fish to fry in the next few weeks.
    2 defeats in quick succession. Good job Pep's a God fearing man, he will know who to ask for guidance.

I always do.

Good lad.

2 defeats in quick succession. Good job Pep's a God fearing man, he will know who to ask for guidance.
    Incorrect.

Yep, he'll look in the mirror and ask the reflection.

No one ever blames the gun when a cop shoots someone.

Another fatal police shooting yesterday making the headlines.

No doubt more information will come out (I've heard conflicting reports of who called the police and who was initially trying to attack who before police arrival)

I've watched the bodycam footage and it's all a bit chaotic. The 16 year old girl in question is trying to attack 2 people so the situation does require some swift action.

I just can't help but think there has to be a different solution than shooting a girl, armed with a knife, dead. Police acting as judge, jury and executioners just doesn't sit right with me.
    Knife incidents happen here regularly and hardly ever end up with a suspect fatality.

I also really dislike the way the officer continues to have his gun aimed at her as she's lifeless on the floor. Is he really expecting her to suddenly spring to life and commence a stabbing rampage?
    It's probably procedure but it just looks terrible and way too OTT (like the cop yelling at the driver not to move after shooting him 5 times, twice through the heart, as he bleeds to death still strapped into his seat)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/makiyah-byrant-shooting-video-columbus-b1834961.html?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0A3z7QrNq2PnXyUC2X3nmy5B2U7keHhDgZDOP_0T1jd12YrqV1C4NH2ks#Echobox=1619001701
    Call a social worker ^^
    VespaPX said:

Call a social worker ^^

And train the police better.

Much, much better.
    Helpful...

LeBron James deleted this tweet.