You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Would you split 1st and 2nd Prize money if you had the option?

metz7metz7 Member Posts: 278
edited June 2021 in Poker Chat
You're heads up, similar size stacks, would you split prize money?

I certainly would! I think this could attract more tournament players into playing with this implemented.

Thoughts?

Comments

• HayleyR27HayleyR27 Member Posts: 10
    Would be nice to have the option!
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 763
    edited June 2021
    @metz7 - not for me. Feels great when you're able to finish 1st in a tournament, regardless of the stakes it is at or the number of runners in the tournament.

Can understand people who are happy to split the prize money when the stacks are even, but personally I enter a tournament with the intention of winning it and wouldn't want to throw away that opportunity.

Only time I would consider it would be if I was in a high-stakes tourney against a much better opponent who would almost certainly beat me.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,075
    It would depend on the dynamic I had with the player to be honest. There's been times live when I've done it and times when I've straight up said no.

If I'm heads up with @MattBates it's a snap yes although he would just laugh and take my chips anyway. If I'm heads up with @misterpj it's a no and I'll just wait to call his all in with any 2 and out draw him.

Although slightly off the OP I would like the option to perhaps take off the top 2/3 to pay the bubble when it only pays 5. If you final table you deserve to cash.

Just my opinion.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    Absobloodylutely.

Actually thought about this last night when i got h/u in the Megastack. (thin brag, I know)

thecheetha 1190000 1 £166.60
    MAXALLY 0 2 £96.39

Not sure how long H/U lasted, but the game completed at 1.25am. In fact, I think the FT lasted well over a couple of hours. Anyway, having the option to split and get £125 each would have been a good addition to consider.

HOWEVER, the inability to sometimes even open the lobby on the current software means this is never going to happen on the current Sky Poker platform. The current 'update software' period has been stated as being 12 months min.

I do like the options on other sites for FT deals. (only as a viewer ofc ;) )
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,012
    MAXALLY said:

Absobloodylutely.

Actually thought about this last night when i got h/u in the Megastack. (thin brag, I know)

MAXALLY 0 2 £96.39

Not sure how long H/U lasted, but the game completed at 1.25am. In fact, I think the FT lasted well over a couple of hours. Anyway, having the option to split and get £125 each would have been a good addition to consider.

HOWEVER, the inability to sometimes even open the lobby on the current software means this is never going to happen on the current Sky Poker platform. The current 'update software' period has been stated as being 12 months min.

I'll take the overs on 2 hours as you blinded down to 2bb waiting for aces
  • metz7metz7 Member Posts: 278
    @MAXALLY my feelings are mutual! Just wanted to get the feelers out and see what peoples thoughts were.

Would be great if they considered this as part of their update.

@Asho28 I really appreciate your response mate. Think a few players on Sky would agree with what you're saying in terms of you're in a tournament to win it.

However, you can still play to win it, but split the prize money if both agree.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited June 2021
    waller02 said:

MAXALLY said:

Absobloodylutely.

MAXALLY 0 2 £96.39

He was waiting for aces before the comp even loaded.

No way the FT took a couple of hours.

Maybe people from Stoke love to bullsh1t?

waller02 said:

MAXALLY said:

Absobloodylutely.

MAXALLY 0 2 £96.39

You gotta come to Stoke after the lockdown, I'll buy you a few beers, It'll be fun.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

waller02 said:

MAXALLY said:

Absobloodylutely.

MAXALLY 0 2 £96.39

You gotta come to Stoke after the lockdown, I'll buy you a few beers, It'll be fun.
    As tempting as it is, I'd rather drink the fluid at the bottom of my bin.

Thanks though.

waller02 said:

MAXALLY said:

Absobloodylutely.

MAXALLY 0 2 £96.39

As tempting as it is, I'd rather drink the fluid at the bottom of my bin.

Thanks though.
    :)

• PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    The option would be nice and then at least its up to the players if they wished to do so. I personally wouldn't use it unless we're both super short or the payjumps were mahoosive.
  • thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 926
    Don't think it would make a whole lot of difference on Sky, where the prize/player pools are smaller. Perhaps in the UKOPS or SPT events where the pay jumps are greater it would be more useful.

This topic reminded me of something that happened in the past. My vague recollection is a player [who was chip leader] many years ago when one of the big sites implemented a deal making option, managed to actually win more than what 1st place was paying out before a deal was made. Then again, I could be totally mis-remembering. I just know something unusual happened because of a deal. Does anyone remember that?

My opinion is, deal making is alright amongst friends or if you are getting much more value by making a deal. Then again, I have almost zero experience in deal making at the poker table.
  • benhur7200benhur7200 Member Posts: 77
    it would be a good option to have if many people would like it. when ive played in live tournaments and got hu the question is normally asked to split it and i have apart from one time when the other guy had been a complete knob throughout the night.
    also when ive been asked to split it, ive also posed the question to them that the winning of the money is more of importance to them , to which they say yes, so i always then ask to have the record show that i go down as the winner and then split the winnings lol. why not!
    also, if this was to be a feature online to make sure that there are at least three stage click and agree procedure to do this, just in case someone is having mouse or screen issues etc
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,269
    What are these 1st and 2nd positions you speak of? :D

Yes it would be nice to have the choice but there is more chance of me winning Wimbledon this year than Sky being able to do that (successfully).

As a follow on I think the pay outs are too heavily weighted to the first two positions anyway, there's a massive money difference between winning a MTT or finishing 5th or 6th and yet, in a lot of cases, this is down to who gets the cards, wins the flips, gets lucky on the FT rather than who is the better player, IMO obviously and I am probably wrong.
  • DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    Don't even go there unless you get some perverse pleasure in getting mugged with bounty hunter splits by poker sites.
  • weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,678
    I am in the no deal camp i think it would be seen as a sign of weakness to ask
    @benhur7200 think having the option would be nice. I have had a bad experience playing live where the guy was a knob for most of the night, then wanted to split with me heads up, when I had double the amount of chips he had.

• DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    I think the option would be nice, as sometimes you just want to go to bed. But you'd really want the software to work well on splits, the calculation to be correct and the customer service people to have an inkling of the mathematics of bounty hunters. All these things are faild on a site with a bigger budget than Sky. Just don't think it is going to happen, and if it does, it is unlikely to work well.
    @Doooobs personally I think it will work well if it was implemented. Bounties can be different, they both agree to split the money if both players agree. Then do an all in flip and whoever wins that receives the final head prize fund.
  • MohicanMohican Member Posts: 1,419
    If you're gonna do a deal in bounty hunters, the best way in my opinion is to just split what's in the prize pool and individual players keep their own bounty. However, if I'm heads up, I want the lot so I wouldn't bother.