You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Never ending story

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,027
    Leading to Universal Basic Income

• Options
    Sums it up....

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    "Ms Greene appears to need psychiatric help, & that's even before her bizarre COVID & anti-vaccine rantings".

God bless Twitter.

Banned for posting facts...

Get on GETTR
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,332
    edited January 2022
    For those curious, "GETTR" is.....

Gettr is a social media platform and microblogging intended for American conservatives. It was founded by Jason Miller, a former Donald Trump aide and spokesman

Anyone considering signing up to GETTR should also read this first;

https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/06/gettr-trump-social-network-hack-defaced/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACJdwqVWRJxgAGgpxUDtDPWp1vdjS9783lKbPjET2pJ9EwpV36WcNaypqLNopvxW9a7TH0OV0jhVIQQpwSs3Q_ctl_B0AylLowJABsOW_ZTtS745E4J49RWrLB15NDHbGh7bvHdK0pn30jJlN_CH6cVmU-fuD0WOLqN8ZDVL6Rzj
  • Options
    "The Streisand Effect"
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,002
    edited January 2022
    VespaPX said:

These stats make for interesting reading.

Only 10% of over 12 years old are unvaccinated. According to these stats, those 10% make up 35% of Covid cases in England. So-3.5 times more likely to have caught Covid.

Then there are the stats that show increased risk of hospitalisation and death on top of that.

Saddest statistic of all? ONS study between Jan/Sept 2021 showed that unvaccinated people were 3 times more likely to die during that period. Not of Covid. Of anything. During that 9 month period, 2.1% over 0.7%.

Whole bunch of reasons for that. As a group (generally, not individually) the unvaccinated are likely to be:-

1. Poorer
    2. Less well educated
    3. Believe that they know better than Doctors about their health
    4. More likely to die of Covid

Trust Doctors and medical science. Or, if you can't trust them, at least do it (get vaccinated) for your family.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    I'm assuming you believe c.5.5 million (10% of England's population) is exactly the same number as c.50 million (the 90%).

Because if 5.5 million is not the same number as 50 million, your figures are rather sad.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    "Trust Doctors and medical science. Or, if you can't trust them, at least do it (get vaccinated) for your family".

"Pfizer have carried out lots of work on the vaccine, but have not yet completed everything".

I'll wait until the trials have finished thanks.
  • Options
    midnightmamidnightma Member Posts: 54
    This is maybe because most of Britain are sane people and have had their vaccinations. So as more people are vaccinated the more the numbers of vaccinated people getting hospitalized/dying will go up and the less people there are unvaccinated the less people
    from that category will be hospitalized/dying that is just simple logic. The Vaccine wont stop people dying 100% of the time and has never claimed too. The stat your graph does not say is what percentage of the population died having been vaccinated compared to what percentage have died that have not been vaccinated.

I.e if 50 million have been vaccinated and only 4 million unvaccinated (Numbers totally made up as I don't know the correct stats) you would expect more deaths/hospitalizations in the vaccinated but a lower percentage overall
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

"Trust Doctors and medical science. Or, if you can't trust them, at least do it (get vaccinated) for your family".

"Pfizer have carried out lots of work on the vaccine, but have not yet completed everything".

I'll wait until the trials have finished thanks.

Medical science never has been, and never will be, complete. The world changes. Viruses change. We change. "Everything" will never be complete. Or do you think that there is no need for medical science to constantly reevaluate?

Pfizer is still an "Emergency use" drug in the UK. Although it is now fully approved in the USA-you know, that country you idolise.

Governments, and their medical advisers, have all made a judgment call that it is considerably safer to be fully vaccinated. They have a plethora of figures to back that up. Even the figures you rely on back that up.

We all have to choose who to believe. You opt for a retired MMA wrestler, Joe Rogan. And assorted fruit loops. Rather more people are following 99.99% of the experts.

I wouldn't trust Chris Whitty to commentate at the UFC-he would probably be talking from a position of total ignorance. I certainly wouldn't bet my life on his predictions on who will win the next Main Event. Would you?
  • Options

Whole bunch of reasons for that. As a group (generally, not individually) the unvaccinated are likely to be:-

1. Poorer
    2. Less well educated

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandwellbeing/bulletins/coronavirusandvaccinehesitancygreatbritain/13januaryto7february2021

• Options
    VespaPX said:

1. Poorer
    2. Less well educated

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandwellbeing/bulletins/coronavirusandvaccinehesitancygreatbritain/13januaryto7february2021

A long and convoluted article trying to explain things.

Let me summarise its findings.

Oh-I already have.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,063
    VespaPX said:

This is a brilliant post in support of the vaccine.

How many people in England are unvaccinated?
    To estimate the size of the population eligible for vaccination, the government uses the ONS estimate for the population aged 12 and over, which is 48,375,273. With 43,250,509 first doses having been given in England, that would leave an estimated 5.1 million eligible people who have not received a dose of vaccine.

Based on the above figures your own post says that 8.7% of the unvaccinated were infected, and only 1.9% of the vaccinated were infected.
    That means if you were unvaccinated you were more than four and a half times more likely to become infected.
    Added to this I think it is common knowledge that the vaccinated are less likely to become seriously ill, or admitted to hospital.

Brilliant.
  • Options
    midnightmamidnightma Member Posts: 54
    HAYSIE said:

VespaPX said:

To estimate the size of the population eligible for vaccination, the government uses the ONS estimate for the population aged 12 and over, which is 48,375,273. With 43,250,509 first doses having been given in England, that would leave an estimated 5.1 million eligible people who have not received a dose of vaccine.

Based on the above figures your own post says that 8.7% of the unvaccinated were infected, and only 1.9% of the vaccinated were infected.
    That means if you were unvaccinated you were more than four and a half times more likely to become infected.
    Added to this I think it is common knowledge that the vaccinated are less likely to become seriously ill, or admitted to hospital.

Brilliant.
    Well said, Exactly point I was trying to make only done much much better

But i doubt it will make a difference
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,063

HAYSIE said:

VespaPX said:

Brilliant.
    Well said, Exactly point I was trying to make only done much much better

But i doubt it will make a difference
    Common sense rarely seems to.