You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Humphrey's Hand of the Day

Comments

• Options
    Humphrey43Humphrey43 Member Posts: 59
    Tonight was very much a stick to what your good at kind of night haha. Tonight after work I decided to play 3 MTTs 2 5.50 bounty turbos and a 2.20 deep stack. One bounty I finished out of the money but made profit from bounties and both the other tournaments I finished 2nd and in general had a great night to recover from the rough few days before.

However I still want to try and improve my cash game play so I will at some point continue to play cash most likely 4 tabling but sticking to 2/4 until I am confident I can move up without getting in a bad spot again.

Current Bankroll:£318.91
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Perhaps on of the most active days iv ever had on here playing multiple tournaments for a solid 7 hours from 6 to 1am. Including sating into the predator which went pretty bad busting within 10 hands. But it was a very very successful day and one of the most enjoyable I've had in a long time. Final tabling two 200 player tournaments with the £1,000 guarantee £5.50 running AJ into AQ and finishing 6th and the £400 guarantee £2.20 painfully coming 3rd after calling an all in with 8T on KT8 flop and the opponent had aces and binked an ace on the turn "Rigged rigged". Then coming 2nd in the £150 guarantee £2.20 to finish off the night.

Current Bankroll:£380.04
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999

Perhaps on of the most active days iv ever had on here playing multiple tournaments for a solid 7 hours from 6 to 1am. Including sating into the predator which went pretty bad busting within 10 hands. But it was a very very successful day and one of the most enjoyable I've had in a long time. Final tabling two 200 player tournaments with the £1,000 guarantee £5.50 running AJ into AQ and finishing 6th and the £400 guarantee £2.20 painfully coming 3rd after calling an all in with 8T on KT8 flop and the opponent had aces and binked an ace on the turn "Rigged rigged". Then coming 2nd in the £150 guarantee £2.20 to finish off the night.

Current Bankroll:£80.04

Enjoying reading this.

"Very successful day". But bankroll has plummeted. I hope you withdrew some cash.

Good luck
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397

Is the bankroll £380.04 rather than £80.04? Hoping so. :o
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Enjoying reading this.

"Very successful day". But bankroll has plummeted. I hope you withdrew some cash.

Good luck
    Mistyped it fixed it now haha
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Is the bankroll £380.04 rather than £80.04? Hoping so. :o
    Fixed it now it was late i was tired Haha
  • Options
    bakersdozebakersdoze Member Posts: 19
    Enjoyed reading this, it reminded me of when I started playing poker a couple of years ago the origin sounds almost identical to mine. As a few of the others have said try not to let your emotions get in the way too much and expect plenty of ups and downs along the way. GL in your journey, i'll be following along :)
  • Options
    CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,806
    Hi! Welcome, this seems like a very good read so ill be watching.

A few things - a downswing (or upswing) is not measured in days its over many thousands of hands. So could be many months. Many. Just rely on trying to make good decisions.

Bankroll - well, its been said but I have to add my voice. Please practice it. A standard BR style is 40 buy ins for what you play. You can be aggressive by using 20-25 BI but I would advise against it unless your willing to boost your BR with funds.

Amount of tables - Please drop the number of tables AND I would strongly advise against playing cash and MTTs together. You need to get in the correct mindset for each discipline to make the best decisions. Playing less can improve your patience which is a strong tool you need. I have won many a MTT from just being patient.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    CraigSG1 said:

Hi! Welcome, this seems like a very good read so ill be watching.

A few things - a downswing (or upswing) is not measured in days its over many thousands of hands. So could be many months. Many. Just rely on trying to make good decisions.

Bankroll - well, its been said but I have to add my voice. Please practice it. A standard BR style is 40 buy ins for what you play. You can be aggressive by using 20-25 BI but I would advise against it unless your willing to boost your BR with funds.

Amount of tables - Please drop the number of tables AND I would strongly advise against playing cash and MTTs together. You need to get in the correct mindset for each discipline to make the best decisions. Playing less can improve your patience which is a strong tool you need. I have won many a MTT from just being patient.

Good luck!

Yeah I just overreacted a bit to a bad spell, for my bankroll at the moment I think my bankroll management is fine especially with tournaments and it seems to be working. With my tables, I don't think I need to drop it I am very very comfortable with 4 tables atm and I am really enjoying it. I have always mainly been a tournament player but I do like to dip into cash every now and again. I've learnt my lesson from when I was shot taking before but it's an area I really want to improve as cash is much more readily available on here especially at the higher stakes than I am playing right now. But when I do next play some cash I will only be playing 4 tables of 2/4 until I feel a bit more confident that I can transition to 5/10 again. I wouldn't play cash and tournament tables at the same time though either 4 tournaments/SNGs or 4 cash.

Also usually especially in tournaments I am a very disciplined and patient players I don't feel like I play very wide or splashy. I think I play good solid tournament poker most of the time
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 206
    GL on your journey Humphrey

Jammy
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Good luck with growing the bankroll @Humphrey43. From what I've seen you're playing very solidly, so I've no doubt the upward trajectory will continue :)
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The magic £500. Unbelievable like I actually never thought I'd reach this point so soon, even more so when about a week ago I had a 4 day £100 losing session. So tonight I played 6 MTTs, a £5.50 bounty hunter and then £3.30, 2x£5.50 and for the first time I decided to play 2x£11 bounty hunters. In the £3.30 I reached the final table and finished 3rd then all the £5.50 I didn't make the money but took a couple bounties across then and then in the £11 games one I went out early with 1 bounty and the other one I managed to win it to take just over £100 and take my bankroll half way to 4 figures.

Current Bankroll: £522.68
  • Options
    Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767

The magic £500. Unbelievable like I actually never thought I'd reach this point so soon, even more so when about a week ago I had a 4 day £100 losing session. So tonight I played 6 MTTs, a £5.50 bounty hunter and then £3.30, 2x£5.50 and for the first time I decided to play 2x£11 bounty hunters. In the £3.30 I reached the final table and finished 3rd then all the £5.50 I didn't make the money but took a couple bounties across then and then in the £11 games one I went out early with 1 bounty and the other one I managed to win it to take just over £100 and take my bankroll half way to 4 figures.

Current Bankroll: £522.68

On a roll @Humphrey43 , very well played!
  • Options
    Back to action today properly after having a week and a half break from playing. The last few nights I've been playing a little bit of cash after work, since as I said before although I know its not my strongest its still something I want to try and play to improve at and have had some decent success. As well as taking one of the worst beats I've had on here last night (must be rigged).

However today I've played a few MTTs for the first time properly in about 2 weeks, with some great success. Winning both the £3.30 and £5.50 bounty hunters which started just before lunch time. Not very often that I'm 2 tabling final tables and manage to bink them both haha. It once again gives my bankroll a nice boost as I'm on my way to hopefully get to a 4 figure roll.

Current Bankroll: £615.02
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213

Wow, well done @Humphrey43
  • Options
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    PrimeScotSmall blind£0.05£0.05£33.63
    BIebzssBig blind£0.10£0.15£37.44
    Your hole cards
    TKDROBFold
    Humphrey43Raise£0.30£0.45£25.45
    cuzza64Raise£1.05£1.50£18.95
    Lf123Fold
    PrimeScotCall£1.00£2.50£32.63
    BIebzssCall£0.95£3.45£36.49
    Humphrey43Call£0.75£4.20£24.70
    Flop
    PrimeScotCheck
    BIebzssCheck
    Humphrey43Check
    cuzza64Bet£4.20£8.40£14.75
    PrimeScotCall£4.20£12.60£28.43
    BIebzssFold
    Humphrey43Call£4.20£16.80£20.50
    Turn
    PrimeScotCheck
    Humphrey43Check
    cuzza64All-in£14.75£31.55£0.00
    PrimeScotFold
    Humphrey43All-in£20.50£52.05£0.00
    Humphrey43Unmatched bet£5.75£46.30£5.75
    Humphrey43Show
    cuzza64Show
    River
    Humphrey43WinFull House, 5s and 6s£44.90£50.65
    Going to change this up a little bit and post a key hand from my session each day to get feedback from people and hopefully some tips.

Preflop:

So in this one i start with a pretty standard open with the 55 and then facing a 3 bet and 2 callers given the stack sizes im getting a good price to set mine so I call

Flop:

Its a very awkward flop having hit bottom set but obviously its very dangerous with 4 people in the hand being so connected. I check to the aggressor as this is a flop they will want to bet with their overpairs which they will likely be holding having 3 bet preflop and facing a big raise and then a concerning call from the sb as their range will hit this flop well. I elect to still call as theres a good chance im good still and should the board pair I could potentially win a big pot.

Turn: i think a check is definitely the play on this turn as the sb could theoretically have a very nutted hand and I dont want to bet and face a raise from them, however the 3 better shoved, which to me obviously indicates strength and theyre never bluffing but their 3 bet range will contain plenty of hands I am beating like TT+ with a club which would likely shove here obviously theres the possibility of 99 or AK/Qs which beat me but theres plent more combinations which would do this that I beat and I most likely have 7 live outs anyway to pair the board. So I elect to call and fortunate get bailed out on the river
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Bankroll £653.69
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213

Ha, gin river there, nice one.
  • Options
    Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    edited April 2022
    Hi @Humphrey43 , like the idea of posting a key hand from each of the sessions. Will hopefully generate some decent discussion.

Some of my views on this hand. Think pre flop is fine - I’d likely fold this normally to the 3 bet, but two other people coming along means we’re getting a good price to see a flop and try and hit our set.

Personally I’m happy to get this all in on the flop. It’s a scary board but nobody should really have any straights and it’s just unlucky if we run into a better flopped set. There are some turn cards, mainly a 4 and 8, which will often kill the action - if villain has say AA/KK here, an 8 or 4 on the turn will result in us losing the chance to stack them as they will likely slow down. Obviously, they’re not slowing down with 99 on the turn.

As played, I reluctantly fold turn unless I think villain is capable of going crazy with AA, KK etc. We beat very little value by this point.

Lovely river though 🎉