You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Net migration to the UK hits new record..... should we be worried ?

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,831
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Why should we be worried?

My main concern would be Housing

If we are only building around 200,000 new homes each year and taking in 500,000 migrants, are we hoping that there are at least families of 3 in every case? We already have a severe shortage of housing, particularly affordable homes in this country, and taking in this many extra people can only make the situation worse, hence the reason to have to house not only Asylum Seekers, but British families who have been evicted (sometimes through no fault of their own), in Hotels and B+B's.

Having also lived in an area of Sheffield in the 90's where refugees were housed fairly nearby, the massive increase in crime (burglaries, shoplifting, and car break-ins) in that area was found to be down to these refugees.

I also remember an area between Vilamoura and Quateria on the Algarve, where there were lots of refugees living in temporary huts and various types of 'buildings' (known as Soweto) which got raided by the Portuguese Police, and over half a million pounds worth of stolen goods were recovered
    So do you think that the 1.1 million arrivals are all living on the street?
    Do you that the half a million that left were also living on the street?
    Or do you think that the new arrivals rent some of the accommodation vacated by those that left?
    Do you think that those on student visas occupy the accommodation vacated by the previous bunch of students.
    How many people die every year?
    Some jobs provide accommodation.
    Like the NHS who employ many nurses from abroad, and provide them with accommodation.

What were the Sheffield crime figures, and how did they compare with other areas?
    Where did you get the Soweto crime figures from?
    People getting evicted has nothing to do with immigration.
    Obviously the new arrivals, students, nurses and care staff from abroad, rent or are given the vacated accommodation, but that still leaves the surplus of 500,000 who are looking for somewhere to live.

Where do you think they are living then?

People who die every Year are replaced by younger people leaving home and looking for housing.

Many people that die will be vacating properties.

I don't have the actual figures from 30 years ago in Sheffield, but my girlfriend at the time, worked for South Yorkshire Police, and she told me that the spike in Crime was down to the Somalian refugees who were housed on the edge of Sheffield City Centre

I found out about the Police raid on 'Soweto' as it was known, and the amount of stolen property they found, from the Manager of what was the Dom Pedro Hotel, Vilamoura, which overlooked it. I was running a golf holiday for Sovereign Golf at the time
    I am certain that your ex-girlfriend, and the manager of the Dom Pedro Hotel will be entirely reliable sources for crime figures.
    Do you think that not allowing asylum seekers to work, and giving them less than £9 per week, may encourage them to resort to crime?
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

If we are only building around 200,000 new homes each year and taking in 500,000 migrants, are we hoping that there are at least families of 3 in every case? We already have a severe shortage of housing, particularly affordable homes in this country, and taking in this many extra people can only make the situation worse, hence the reason to have to house not only Asylum Seekers, but British families who have been evicted (sometimes through no fault of their own), in Hotels and B+B's.

Having also lived in an area of Sheffield in the 90's where refugees were housed fairly nearby, the massive increase in crime (burglaries, shoplifting, and car break-ins) in that area was found to be down to these refugees.

I also remember an area between Vilamoura and Quateria on the Algarve, where there were lots of refugees living in temporary huts and various types of 'buildings' (known as Soweto) which got raided by the Portuguese Police, and over half a million pounds worth of stolen goods were recovered
    So do you think that the 1.1 million arrivals are all living on the street?
    Do you that the half a million that left were also living on the street?
    Or do you think that the new arrivals rent some of the accommodation vacated by those that left?
    Do you think that those on student visas occupy the accommodation vacated by the previous bunch of students.
    How many people die every year?
    Some jobs provide accommodation.
    Like the NHS who employ many nurses from abroad, and provide them with accommodation.

What were the Sheffield crime figures, and how did they compare with other areas?
    Where did you get the Soweto crime figures from?
    People getting evicted has nothing to do with immigration.
    Obviously the new arrivals, students, nurses and care staff from abroad, rent or are given the vacated accommodation, but that still leaves the surplus of 500,000 who are looking for somewhere to live.

People who die every Year are replaced by younger people leaving home and looking for housing.

I don't have the actual figures from 30 years ago in Sheffield, but my girlfriend at the time, worked for South Yorkshire Police, and she told me that the spike in Crime was down to the Somalian refugees who were housed on the edge of Sheffield City Centre

I found out about the Police raid on 'Soweto' as it was known, and the amount of stolen property they found, from the Manager of what was the Dom Pedro Hotel, Vilamoura, which overlooked it. I was running a golf holiday for Sovereign Golf at the time

‘Treated like a criminal’: Nepali student wrongly detained at UK border loses uni place

For him, the offer of a place studying hospitality and tourism at York St John University was an opportunity to transform his family’s future. He had hoped to return to Nepal to work in the country’s growing tourism industry after completing the £13,000 a year course,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/treated-like-a-criminal-nepali-student-wrongly-detained-at-uk-border-loses-uni-place/ar-AA14Amxq?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e93fe5c179b54aba8e8054500c24c1a3
    edited November 2022
    MISTY4ME said:

Asylum seeker conditions?
    Except that she has had to put up with it for 16 days, many of the asylum seekers put up with it for years

Single mum evicted from North London home and forced to live in Travelodge where kids 'cry themselves to sleep'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/single-mum-evicted-from-north-london-home-and-forced-to-live-in-travelodge-where-kids-cry-themselves-to-sleep/ar-AA14yHWx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e93fe5c179b54aba8e8054500c24c1a3
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,157
    edited November 2022

This is regularly on the local news down here in Cornwall

A mother who lived in a Travelodge in for six months with her three children says she is "so relieved" to have finally moved out.

Charlene Pascoe's family lived in the St Austell hotel room four times longer than Cornwall Council's normal limit for emergency accommodation.

It comes as 650 households remain in emergency accommodation amid Cornwall's housing crisis.

Charlene was told they would be there for six to eight weeks at the most: "then it got extended and it got extended. And then before we knew it, we were up to six months."
    Cornwall Council says people being housed in emergency accommodation such as B&Bs and hotels are having to stay there for longer as there is a lack of homes for them to move into.

Cllr Olly Monk, who's in charge of the council's housing portfolio, says he's "frustrated for families."

He says the council is doing all it can to build more homes, but that it takes time: "Until we address that and start building more housing that prioritises local need and we're not going to make a massive dent in the actual amount of people who need accommodation.

"What the government can do is give us powers to ensure that we can get the planning permission to actually build these new housing.

"To have more planning authority to make sure that we can have control over the amount of second homes and try and discourage them - where where necessary - and have the ability to build more affordable homes as well.

"https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-10-06/the-family-of-four-who-lived-in-a-cornwall-travelodge-for-six-months
    I know the above case, and many others down here highlight the need for extra Affordable Housing, and not necessarily Migration, but Asylum Seekers are being put up in hotels in Devon and Cornwall, and will no doubt add to the Housing Crisis in the future :/
    MISTY4ME said:

I know the above case, and many others down here highlight the need for extra Affordable Housing, and not necessarily Migration, but Asylum Seekers are being put up in hotels in Devon and Cornwall, and will no doubt add to the Housing Crisis in the future :/

How does putting asylum seekers up in hotels add to the housing crisis?
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

After the 80% are approved, they have to live somewhere, adding to the Housing Crisis because they are normally housed in Council Housing
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

After the 80% are approved, they have to live somewhere, adding to the Housing Crisis because they are normally housed in Council Housing
    I do worry about you on times.
    This is 80% of the 35%.
    And not until many years later, after the Home Office have finally processed their claim.
    What about the 1.1 million?
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    MISTY4ME said:

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,484
    ok I will bite, I have worked a number of jobs which I took because I needed some job and it was a job I could get at the time. One thing I noticed was that a fairly reliable method of how tolerable a job would be, was simply how many English people were there.

before people call me racist let me explain it was not that I found it intolerable working around non English people it was that English people did not stick around often for bad working conditions. Generally if they treated staff like **** next to none of the staff were English. If they treated the staff reasonably a reasonable proportion of them were English.

It is hard to hold a grudge against people who come from poor backgrounds who are desperate to better themselves, and are willing to take the jobs which no one else is willing to do.

The concern I have though is that once they take that work it is considered that those that turn down that work have a bad attitude. What almost never gets asked is why is it that English people do not want to do that work? and the reason is normally because the working conditions are atrocious.

to list some of what I have experienced
    attempted forcing people to work more then 60 hours often 12 hours without a break for multiple days in a row
    charging for transport to and from work which only they provide and your not allowed to make your own way by any other means
    permanent chemical burns due to carelessness of safety and lack of empathy for workers
    general stress and abuse of workers in how they spoken to yelled at and stress to hit a specific target.
    common practice was to say we are firing ex number of people at the end of the week. usually stated by we have five new starters on Monday and only 3 positions available you guys do the math!
    this may seem common place in call centres where sales targets exist but what about when it is deep cleaning student rooms?
    do you know what environment of sabotage bullying and hostility it creates when your co workers see you not as a team mate but someone they compete with to survive?

how about rather then having a go at work shy Britons and glorifying migrants as been willing to do the jobs we aren't we actually stand up for workers rights and maybe ask why other English people are not willing to do the work.

I don't have anything against immigrants legal or not who come here wanting to better themselves.

What I have an issue with is the lowering of our quality of life and working conditions due to allowing mass immigration for people that have it bad to be exploited over here just not as bad as where they were from, hence setting lower standards for all of us.

MISTY4ME said:

Trouble is, he's going to steal yours Rupert (Murdoch) .......'coz he can see you've far more than he, and the worker has
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    Recommend watching the film on Netflix “ The Swimmers” to give a different perspective on the plight of “ illegal immigrants “
    Heartbreaking , uplifting, fabulous true story.
    MISTY4ME said:

A mother who lived in a Travelodge in for six months with her three children says she is "so relieved" to have finally moved out.

Charlene Pascoe's family lived in the St Austell hotel room four times longer than Cornwall Council's normal limit for emergency accommodation.

It comes as 650 households remain in emergency accommodation amid Cornwall's housing crisis.

Charlene was told they would be there for six to eight weeks at the most: "then it got extended and it got extended. And then before we knew it, we were up to six months."
    Cornwall Council says people being housed in emergency accommodation such as B&Bs and hotels are having to stay there for longer as there is a lack of homes for them to move into.

Cllr Olly Monk, who's in charge of the council's housing portfolio, says he's "frustrated for families."

He says the council is doing all it can to build more homes, but that it takes time: "Until we address that and start building more housing that prioritises local need and we're not going to make a massive dent in the actual amount of people who need accommodation.

"What the government can do is give us powers to ensure that we can get the planning permission to actually build these new housing.

"To have more planning authority to make sure that we can have control over the amount of second homes and try and discourage them - where where necessary - and have the ability to build more affordable homes as well.

"https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-10-06/the-family-of-four-who-lived-in-a-cornwall-travelodge-for-six-months
    Why on earth do we put people that live here up in hotels?
    tomgoodun said:

Recommend watching the film on Netflix “ The Swimmers” to give a different perspective on the plight of “ illegal immigrants “
    Heartbreaking , uplifting, fabulous true story.

I saw clips from it the other day, and I'm looking forward to watching it when I can get the remote off the wife.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, "Escape from Kabul' is an amazing watch too, just to see how bad things were when the Allies pulled out of Afghanistan, and the Taliban took back control.
    Should be available on BBC iPlayer
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

......because there isn't enough available, and more importantly AFFORDABLE housing ......certainly in this area :/
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,985
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

......because there isn't enough available, and more importantly AFFORDABLE housing ......certainly in this area :/
    I don't mean to be rude, Jez.

But I suspect that many Cornish people fail to see the difference between foreign immigrants taking their accommodation and people from Sheffield.

And people in Villamoura just might have seen you as 1 of the immigrants taking their jobs.

Or, of course, been (like the majority) welcoming people.
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

There always is accommodation.
    It may not be where you want it to be, but there always is accommodation.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Depends what you mean by accommodation.

Is it like yours or mine? Or a hotel, bedsit, c,rappy private renting with landlord who is Van Hookstragenesque.
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Rents in Cornwall have gone up by 50% since the Pandemic. A small 2 bed terraced house in Camborne is now around £1000 per month.

Sad to say it, but I'm looking forward to the Housing Crash next Year.
    There are so many houses that have been bought for 2nd homes, and for Air B+Bs, that has fuelled the massive increase in rents and property prices here.
    Essexphil said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

I don't mean to be rude, Jez.

But I suspect that many Cornish people fail to see the difference between foreign immigrants taking their accommodation and people from Sheffield.

And people in Villamoura just might have seen you as 1 of the immigrants taking their jobs.

Or, of course, been (like the majority) welcoming people.
    True Phil ...... you'll have to blame @HAYSIE for that ;)

I was only working in Vilamoura for the odd week or two, running Specialist golf holidays, and I used to holiday on the Algarve, both Golfing and Sun-seeking, 4 or 5 times a Year, so I did give back to the local community there B)<3o:)