You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573

Oh dear....
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041
  • Options
    Pot Kettle Black Mr Wilson...

• Options
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,623
    today was a very very very good day for football
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,029
    Congrats to Kidderminster Harriers
    9 wins on the trot to seal promotion,
  • Options
    Not football related but this man deserves all the publicity he can get.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
    edited May 2023
    @lucy4

Good shout, I welled up when I saw it on TV earlier. Most of us don't realise how lucky we are, do we?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@lucy4

Good shout, I welled up when I saw it on TV earlier. Most of us don't realise how lucky we are, do we?

BBC Breakfast have been following/highlighting his efforts over the past year and yes it certainly tugs at the heart strings.
  • Options
    Celebrating at an opponents ground is not a wise move...

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    Tikay10 said:

@lucy4

@Tikay10

As a follower of Rugby League I have been fortunate enough to meet both Kevin and Rob even though they played for the "Big City Rivals".

Rugby League is still a game where players are happy to mingle with fans, even the "big stars" and has a community like no other.

If you can access it watch Sky's documentary UL7RA about Kevin Sinfield and the Number 7 team as they run 7 ultras in 7 days (7 was Rob Burrows number). Apart from the uplifting inspiration the film gives, it also highlights the humble nature of Sinfield as he refutes any hero status or idolotry and simply says it how it is.

As for welling up, that makes two of us.
  • Options
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    This happened in 1946 it was a shocking loss of life but being just after the war it wasn't reported as such , Sir Stanley Matthews was such a pull at that time after such a devastating time , interesting watch
    https://youtu.be/ke-TCifUaLU
  • Options
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    edited May 2023
    lucy4 said:

If it is true that he was betting on matches in which he had insider knowledge (for example that he was playing in many of the matches), he is lucky that he is not receiving a permanent ban.

Still-on the bright side-at least he won't have to sign for Chelsea :)
  • Options
    Everton could be sued by five rival clubs if they avoid Premier League punishment.

Southampton, Leicester, Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Burnley are all ready to pursue significant financial compensation if Everton avoid relegation from the Premier League this season.

Everton could face a £300million legal challenge from rival clubs if they avoid relegation from the Premier League this season.

The Toffees were charged by the Premier League with an alleged breach of financial fair play rules in March. The club have posted staggering losses of £372m over the past three years, in excess of the £105m limit.

The Daily Mail reports that the five angry clubs applied for Everton’s disciplinary hearing to be fast-tracked so that any punishment dished out would be applied to the current season. The commission looking into the allegations rejected this request, prompting the clubs to lodge legal papers making them party to the dispute.

While there are five clubs involved, the £300m claim would be brought by the two clubs who are relegated alongside Southampton, were Everton to avoid the drop. They believe they would be entitled to £100m each, which is an estimate of the loss of Premier League income for one season after the deduction of parachute payments.

Despite winning the Championship to return to the top flight at the first time of asking, Burnley due to their annoyance over Everton’s finances from last season. Burnley’s relegation last season meant they missed out on valuable TV money and the drop meant they were forced to repay a £65m loan early.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Don't believe the Daily Fail.
    An independent commission should not and will not be dictated to by interested parties because it's independent.

I don't think Burnley have a case because Everton were investigated last year and the accounts were signed off by the Premier League.
    This year?.....we shall see

Imagine if Everton is found guilty of the one breach of FFP.
    A fine, points deduction, relegation?
    Possibly.
    Several clubs sue for millions in compensation?
    Everton would probably be bankrupt.

Imagine if Man City is found guilty of 200+ breaches of FFP going back about 15 years.
    A fine, points deduction?
    Possibly.
    Relegation?
    Titles forfeited?
    Doubtful.
    How many clubs could sue City?
    Any club that dropped points against City or got relegated over that time?
    At least City can afford it.

I don't know how Everton are going to get out of this one though.
  • Options
    @dragon1964 I totally agree, But I've just seen a news report that Luton were docked 30 points for financial irregularities which forced their relegation. Why do the so called big clubs always seem to avoid proper penalties when it's blatant to most that they're guilty.
  • Options
    I don't know any details about the Luton case.
    Never liked them anyway. I remember the plastic pitch and ID cards.

If Everton are found guilty, I assume it will depend on the amount of overspend that they can't explain away.
    A few million and it might be a fine. Any more and points deduction seems inevitable.
    Maybe we will try to put it all against the building of the new ground. That's a legitimate expense you are allowed to spend on.
    I don't believe the independent review has even begun so any potential punishment will probably be applied next season.
    I hope we are found not guilty as we are in enough **** already.

I hope we have good lawyers.
  • Options
    @lucy4
    You are correct about the difference between big and small clubs.
    Macclesfield and Bury spring to mind.