You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Ashes

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,030
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

Whatever they say, this Test is not boring. Unbelievable session this morning.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Stokes is currently 5/1 for SPOTY. That might go down a bit if he pulls this one off.

Could be an interesting finish, and whatever the result, the interviews after will be a must watch ;)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264
    MAXALLY said:

Stokes is currently 5/1 for SPOTY. That might go down a bit if he pulls this one off.

Could be an interesting finish, and whatever the result, the interviews after will be a must watch ;)

@MAXALLY

Good point as to SPOTY.
  • Options
    Surely these two can't do the impossible ?
  • Options
  • Options
    Roughly two days to score 190 runs so why keep on making poor shot decisions ?
  • Options
    That was proper "Squeaky Bum Time" but managed to get over the line (at last).
  • Options
    Just about got over the line but surely they've gotta realise things have gotta change as after the second match debacle has put us in a position that we shouldn't be in.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    I don’t think it’s about changing the approach as much as it is tweaking.
    If truth be known the Ashes should be nestled comfortably back at Lords this evening.
    England have fielded terribly in this series, The missed stumping and dropped catches cost England a big first innings lead in the first test match which saw us lose by 43 runs.
    The second Test was ours for the taking , 180/2 , Lyon unable to bowl, four seamers left , two of which could not bowl long spells,as was seen as they were both unfit for this test, all England had to do was tweak their attacking instinct for an hour , duck and weave watch Starc and Cummins get tired and feast on Hazlewood and Green or a part time spinner. Sadly a collective lack of thought cost England the initiative and the game.
    In this match fielding again almost cost us, Root drops Marsh on 15 and he goes on to smash a 💯, thankfully we overcame that and won the game.
    We play fabulous, entertaining cricket, we just need to read and react to situations better and that comes with a bit more experience.
    I am looking forward to Old Trafford, if that pitch is dry, pacy with the prospect of some turn later in the game I would make England favourites. I’ve said all along I’d have played Ahmed over Ali , but that’s not going to happen, but Wood ,Tongue Broad and probably Woakes would be my seam attack.
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 512
    Three fantastic matches and England should be at least 2-1 ahead. I had a tenner on Australia at 2/1 earlier today, which guaranteed the England win.

Bazball is a lot like LAG poker players like Isildur. They hammer away at weaker opposition, but then a truly world class player come along and can pick them off, albeit with high standard deviation.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Surely England have gotta declare soon, I thought they was waiting for Bairstow to get his fifty then declare. Here's what a commentator said earlier "Australia actually won't mind batting too much here. They know the win is almost gone now, so every minute in the field not batting is an advantage".
  • Options
    The same commentators view on Bairstow "34 minutes ago it looked like we were waiting for Bairstow to get to 50 before a declaration was coming. Now it looks like 100 could be the mark, that or a wicket of course".
  • Options
    Have the Aussies been time wasting today ?
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,032
    In a word, yes, they have, especially when they were bowling. Now they are batting again they look just like England did in their last tour of India, bereft of ideas and clinging on to their wicket(s) for as long as they can, although different from that English capitulation, the Aussies are, all the while, hoping the weather intervenes to save them.
  • Options
    According to the weather reports tomorrow is gonna be a near on complete washout.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,032
    edited July 2023
    You are right but last night I checked the weather for both Old Trafford & Hoylake, it stated that there would be, for both venues, a lot of showers, some heavy, with strong winds also. Hopefully the Met office has got it wrong for two days in a row.

p.p, for Old Trafford at least
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 512
    It always rains in Manchester and Sheffield. At least it makes a nice change for England fans not being the ones outside doing a rain dance.

I heard Sunday they might get a few hours in between showers. That should be enough to win.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,158
    That declaration in the 1st innings of the 1st test is looking pretty fk'd up right now isn't it Ben. It'd be 1-1 with one to play. Not 1 to play and naff all to play for.

You can lose to anybody BUT the blooming Aussies. Blooming is not the word I want to use.
  • Options
    I agree with your Aussie opinion and as I've already mentioned my thoughts are that the 2nd Test was the crucial one that we couldn't afford to lose and that loss has now come home to roost. Imagine what the match and atmosphere would've been like going in to this last match all square,I feel like I've been robbed of a classic Test Series.