You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Oma-what? Omaha questions here, folks!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited April 2010
    Absolutely correct Mere, and not pedantic at all. I did the maths off the top of my head but wasn't too far off with the end result :) 
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2010

Cheerz lads for the feedback on the hand itself...

Now what would you do in my position? - I have to go all the way right???? Or not?

And also, is my decision here different in a ring game than in a tourny?
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Oma-what? Omaha questions here, folks!:
    Cheerz lads for the feedback on the hand itself... Now what would you do in my position? - I have to go all the way right???? Or not? And also, is my decision here different in a ring game than in a tourny?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I'll take a stab at this.
    Take my comments with a pinch of salt because I'm no expert.

1. They both have you out-chipped so there is no side-pot that you can win so you need to defeat both hands to get ANY return on your money.
    2. When you raise to £11.20, you don't know that you are going to get action from both players and you are trying to isolate (or take the pot there and then) - this is a good move as far as I'm concerned.
    3. When they both go all-in you are getting better than 4/1 on your money so I'm definitely calling in a cash game.
    4. You are dead to someone holding T8 (or TT) but that would be unlucky and a risk that you have to take.
    5. Your hand isn't going to improve (apart from the case 8) and ANY other turn/river card could beat you so there's no point waiting for the turn/river before "potting it" unless you want to take a chance that neither of your opponents hits their outs on the turn.

I might play it differently in a tournament (and certainly in a satellite) if I was nearing a significant bubble.
  • Options
    CardGeniusCardGenius Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2010
    Hi guys I have question regarding Omaha and DYM, firstly I normally work off a bankroll rule of 5% of my BR per buy in, I was thinking that DYM games may leave room for a slightly modified percentage given that the swings are less so does anyone have a opinion on this and maybe an idea of what percent is more suited to DYM??

second question is in them DYM games that drag out till say all six are still there at level 8 and everyone is short stacked what are the best sort of hands to stick it all in with like with hold em ICM, pairs, decent aces etc my thinking has been middle connecting cards and obv high pairs 

thanks Tim.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,119
    edited April 2010
    Hi guys I have question regarding Omaha and DYM, firstly I normally work off a bankroll rule of 5% of my BR per buy in, I was thinking that DYM games may leave room for a slightly modified percentage given that the swings are less so does anyone have a opinion on this and maybe an idea of what percent is more suited to DYM?? second question is in them DYM games that drag out till say all six are still there at level 8 and everyone is short stacked what are the best sort of hands to stick it all in with like with hold em ICM, pairs, decent aces etc my thinking has been middle connecting cards and obv high pairs  thanks Tim.
    Posted by CardGenius
    Hi Tim.

Q1. You can be much less prudent with your Bankroll in DYM's, as they have uber-low variance. I would adjust the 5% to 10% assuming you have basic competence.

Q2. It does not matter what you hold - just get your chips in first in the scenario you outline. You are never far behind, or ahead, pre-flop in Omaha. It's not like Texas, where you can easily be a 20/80 dog - you never are in Omaha, unless you have near-identical but dominated holdings.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Response to Re: Oma-what? Omaha questions here, folks! : Hi Tim. Q1. You can be much less prudent with your Bankroll in DYM's, as they have uber-low variance. I would adjust the 5% to 10% assuming you have basic competence. Q2. It does not matter what you hold - just get your chips in first in the scenario you outline. You are never far behind, or ahead, pre-flop in Omaha. It's not like Texas, where you can easily be a 20/80 dog - you never are in Omaha, unless you have near-identical but dominated holdings.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers tikay that answers my questions :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2010

YW Cardgenuis.

When I said "you are never far behind in Omaha".......imagine this.

You have 2-3-4-5 double-suited. And shove.

And you get called - as you probably would - by A-K-Q-J no suits.

How far behind do you think you are?

Well, as you could look it up on any Odds Calculator, I'll tell you. You are 47.3% to win, your oppo is 52.7%. We are flipping. And as it's easier to shove than Call, & as he does not call on, say, 50% of the occasions you shove, you are, in effect, 75/25 to win. With 2-3-4-5.

If we make both hands unsuited, then the odds become something like 56%-44%.

Funny game, Omaha.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    YW Cardgenuis. When I said "you are never far behind in Omaha".......imagine this. You have 2-3-4-5 double-suited. And shove. And you get called - as you probably would - by A-K-Q-J no suits. How far behind do you think you are? Well, as you could look it up on any Odds Calculator, I'll tell you. You are 47.3% to win, your oppo is 52.7%. We are flipping. And as it's easier to shove than Call, & as he does not call on, say, 50% of the occasions you shove, you are, in effect, 75/25 to win. With 2-3-4-5. If we make both hands unsuited, then the odds become something like 56%-44%. Funny game, Omaha.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I get ya tikay!! after your 1st reply i was in a DYM lost most of my stack early in a dumb hand after i missed the fact the board paired!! I found myself close to out, then went about telling myself your never far behind and when your 1st in!! I went on to take 1st!! wise words my friend thanks for the help!
  • Options
    edited April 2010

CardGenius, you are a Genius.

Be very careful when the Board pairs. In Texas, we almost never give credit for the House. In Omaha, our default setting is "he has the House".
  • Options
    SirFrankSirFrank Member Posts: 197
    edited April 2010
    i love omahahahahahahahaha!
  • Options
    beardon10beardon10 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    Any chance there can be some omaha hi/lo tourneys added to the site?