You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

I know the question, but I don't know the answer.

Comments

• Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    mumsie said:

I dont think he knows there are other cash games and I havent the heart to mention the error of his ways, there is no way to bring the subject up without me looking like an ****.

Edit : guess the expletive.

is it ****?

• Options
    rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    Is it arsene Wegner.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,552
    Miranda is a very lonely Girl ......... needs company.!
  • Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,129
    Not sure if this will help, however I wrote a basic "guide" for novice players that I initially did for my son (Limp2Lose) and later used it for FeelGroggy when they were starting the game.

It is aimed at beginners and intermediate players. It is by no means conclusive, and is based around "my style" of play, but I am happy to send it to anyone that want's a copy. I am also happy to take the odd question about it and review the occasional hand history.

Just post here or PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Graham
  • Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,129
    edited December 2017
    I have just been looking at some of the old stuff I wrote and the pocket guide needs updating. (So will need a couple of days to amend a few things.)

Here's a few basic tips for newbies that I found in one document I wrote a while back.

TOP POKER TIPS (DON’T CALL TOO OFTEN PRE FLOP)

MOST POTS ARE WON UNCONTESTED. IF YOU ONLY CALL YOU LIMIT YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING, SOLELY TO WHEN YOU HAVE THE BEST HAND.

EVERY ACTION GIVES INFORMATION. IF YOU CALL YOU GIVE INFORMATION, BUT GET NONE IN RETURN

IF YOU HAVE A GOOD HAND YOU WANT TO BUILD THE POT PRE FLOP. THIS WILL INCREASE THE LEVEL OF BETS POST FLOP AND IMPROVE POTENTIAL RETURNS

IF YOU FIND YOURSELF CONSIDERING A CALL, BUT UNSURE, FOLD

IF YOU’RE SURE A HAND IS GOOD ENOUGH TO CALL, IN MOST CASES IT’S GOOD ENOUGH TO RAISE

HANDS LIKE AJ, 77, 88. EITHER FOLD OR RE-RAISE THE INITIAL RAISER DEPENDING ON OPPONENT’S STYLE AND/OR TABLE POSITION. DON'T CALL.

IT'S THE PRETTY ONES THAT GET YOU IN TROUBLE. WE ALL LIKE SUITED CONNECTORS, BUT THEY OFTEN GET YOU IN TROUBLE, SO CALL WITH CAUTION. YOU CAN ALWAYS RE-RAISE WITH THESE HANDS, IT'S OFTEN SAFER IN THE END.

STAY IN THE PRESENT, JUST BEAT PLAYERS IN FRONT OF YOU, THE COOLER, BIT OF LUCK OR BAD BEAT 5 MINUTES AGO DOESN'T MATTER, GOOD OR BAD.

I appreciate the above is not everyone's cup of tea and is a big generalisation with limited info (stack sizes, table position, your image, opponents image, etc) but a few basic pointers from the way I see things.

As was eluded to earlier in this thread, probably the biggest mistake newbies make, is limping and calling too much, so the above is aimed to address that.

Remember, you should FOLD more than you RAISE and RAISE more than you CALL. (In the world of STAYORGO anyway. :=))

Cheers,

G
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    Back in the day, when everyone was new to poker, it was a whole different experience.

I seem to remember you posting next door about your days playing SnGs on another site. You described it like a live game, with people laughing about the river cards and constant banter in the chat.

This was actually how Sky was like in the early days. Even tho Sky was maybe 5 years behind the main poker boom, so many of the players were brand new to the game that when they joined a table they had a fighting chance, as it was likley that 2 or 3 of their table mates were also new/novice players.

I really have no idea how to get that back, certainly not in the UK market.

The main issue is that new players are so so far behind now that they just get skinned so so fast that they don't get the opportunity to love the game.

Lots of sites have tried different ways. No chat to stop abuse, table count kept at 6 etc, but in reality if a reg wants action then they just have to load up another couple of sites and play their game.

It's funny playing on the Asian sites. Players type in the chat (no idea what they are saying), constant emojis. Theres even one option that for a micro penny you can buy your table mates a little pic of a pint of beer or some food. So often I'll see someone win a big pot and the winner 'tips' the loser with a virtual beer that sites by the losers avatar. It's hilarious, they love it.

Somewhat similar to the Sky Box TV app that you could play on. You couldn't chat so Sky did a handy 10 or so pre set messages that you could send to the table? Rememeber *Thunderous Applause* lol. In fact there was one that was just 'Idiot'. Shows how even the guys who developed the software loved the game so much that they added in some really mild chat abuse haha.
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    I think the ones who want to learn will be out there looking for material and those that don't will not, perhaps someone on Sky could do a twitch channel for beginners I don't know how many would take it up though. Is there anyway the software can tell who's new and let them have cash tables or a small tournament just for those, then that could be abused by those just new to the site and not new to poker. When I started I played on the free tables its not very good poker but it teaches you about odds and outs and gets you used to how poker works.
  • Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited December 2017
    i would like our focus to be on the players that are already here. specifically, the 20,000 every year that only play 2 or fewer major games. these are exactly the players we want to engage and play more.

• Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    scotty77 said:

Back in the day, when everyone was new to poker, it was a whole different experience.

I seem to remember you posting next door about your days playing SnGs on another site. You described it like a live game, with people laughing about the river cards and constant banter in the chat.

This was actually how Sky was like in the early days. Even tho Sky was maybe 5 years behind the main poker boom, so many of the players were brand new to the game that when they joined a table they had a fighting chance, as it was likley that 2 or 3 of their table mates were also new/novice players.

I really have no idea how to get that back, certainly not in the UK market.

The main issue is that new players are so so far behind now that they just get skinned so so fast that they don't get the opportunity to love the game.

Lots of sites have tried different ways. No chat to stop abuse, table count kept at 6 etc, but in reality if a reg wants action then they just have to load up another couple of sites and play their game.

It's funny playing on the Asian sites. Players type in the chat (no idea what they are saying), constant emojis. Theres even one option that for a micro penny you can buy your table mates a little pic of a pint of beer or some food. So often I'll see someone win a big pot and the winner 'tips' the loser with a virtual beer that sites by the losers avatar. It's hilarious, they love it.

Somewhat similar to the Sky Box TV app that you could play on. You couldn't chat so Sky did a handy 10 or so pre set messages that you could send to the table? Rememeber *Thunderous Applause* lol. In fact there was one that was just 'Idiot'. Shows how even the guys who developed the software loved the game so much that they added in some really mild chat abuse haha.

Not sure which one you are playing Ryan but do you get poo thrown at you? I've just started to throw poo myself but as you have to pay for the pleasure it isn't good for the winrate.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Bring back the hot-o-metre.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    HAYSIE said:

I watched a programme on the telly some time ago. The Devilfish was coaching four brand new players, in Cardiff. The winner got a seat at the main event at the WSOP. All he did initially was gave them a list of hands that they were allowed to play. They were premium hands. Three out of the four went along with it, and one was naughty and didn't. The three that did, had decent results, the one that thought he knew better, had by far the worst results.
    I think if you had to teach them one thing, that would be it. You can add stuff as you go along, but just being allowed to play premium hands stops a lot of problems. If they are limping in out of position, and least they are doing it with a good hand.
    It wouldn't be that difficult to do a series of very, very, short videos, that they might watch. The second one could be 10 minutes on position perhaps.
    The temptation will always be to try to teach them too much straight off, overload them with information, and confuse them. Then the shape of the result will become that of a pear.

Shock news here is that Haysie and Hhy finally agree on something
    Jon very much likes watching 10 minutes clips on people in different positions too
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,531
    I think the only answer is just to leave them be. There are endless sources of strategy all over the internet if they want to improve. It's pretty simple to get to a competent level fairly rapidly.

Those who aren't motivated to learn are probably just having a muck about anyway, playing bingo but with cards. If they get bored of poker they probably just jump on Sky Bingo anyway.
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    sky could have beginner game mtts buy/ins £1 or £2 only players who have played less than 30 mtts or so on sky can play in them, it would give new players the chance to gain some experience against other newbies, before they mix it with the more experienced players,
    you could end up with some experienced players from other sites joining sky to take advantage,although I wouldn't think with the buy ins being so low that it would be much of a problem.
    when the games are taking place give them constant reminders in the chat,that theres a forum available to them were they can get free poker advice on any questions they have,

• Options
    BOOBOO9999BOOBOO9999 Member Posts: 1

sky could have beginner game mtts buy/ins £1 or £2 only players who have played less than 30 mtts or so on sky can play in them, it would give new players the chance to gain some experience against other newbies, before they mix it with the more experienced players,
    you could end up with some experienced players from other sites joining sky to take advantage,although I wouldn't think with the buy ins being so low that it would be much of a problem.
    when the games are taking place give them constant reminders in the chat,that theres a forum available to them were they can get free poker advice on any questions they have,

You could go a step further with the payout structure for those games and have a much flatter payout so those make the money more often
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Lower the token handout 50 points £2.50 token for newbies. ?

Even 25 points get £1 token to play. just Idea. ( Recycling ) But ! how new is a Newbie.?
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Practice has not changed since 2009 needs updating to allow new entrants to get player points on all tables not have to gain them slowly ....... free play reg's hog Miranda with millions chips newbies sit alone because Miranda wont let them play. If you sit at a table you should auto get buy in. fwiw
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited December 2017

You could go a step further with the payout structure for those games and have a much flatter payout so those make the money more often
    If Sky flatten their payout structures for freezeouts anymore, they will be paying 97% of the field ;)

I'm not convinced that newbies playing against other newbies is particularly productive for them. Whilst it would be foolish to jump into mains, Sky have a decent sprinkling of MTTs for £2.20 or less, where they can play against a variety of players and styles. It's a great starting point for those looking to get involved in the game, and there is a natural stepping stone progression to minis and beyond.
  • Options
    goldon said:

How can it be (spam ) .... Evilpingu ...... Miranda is Famous.
  • Options
    goldon said:

For every Action there is Re-action ... if nothing is done, nothing changes.

Don't dump this Girl at Christmas to save a present ...... she need priority love.

The two Hippo Critics need to spend a Evening with Miranda before criticising me.

I can't make thing happen ( only ) point them out when asked to comment by thread poster .
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    I know the question but i don’t know the answer

How easy would it be for Sky to reintroduce the ignore button?