You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Reminder to Team PLO8

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,219

By the way, I'm not in any way dissing the Comp, or Marky's hard work - I'm genuinely trying to help.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    MattBates said:

markycash said:

Tikay10 said:

17 runners last night, so whilst it's not exactly setting the world on fire, it is covering. Just.

Yup, it would be nice if numbers were higher but 3 guarantees hit in a row at this time of year is not too bad.
    Is this time of year (on a Sunday) not extremely popular for online poker?
    Would be interesting to see the figures for this Matt. Based on nothing more than assumptions I thought that the last Sunday before Christmas Eve would be a time that many people would be busy Christmas shopping and visiting family etc etc. I also thought that finances may be stretched for many due to all of the costs associated with the above.

As mentioned, this is based purely on my own assumptions so you may well be correct. Would be interested to see what the week on week figures were for NLHE MTT's for last night. I also had it in the back of my mind that next Sunday night is Christmas Eve and the following one is NYE. Surely those nights must be tricky in relation to traffic.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,285
    edited December 2017
    I think I have posted elsewhere that committing to any regular tournaments is a problem for me, especially on a Sunday evening as I have regular tennis commitments as well as family stuff (Star Wars film yesterday for example). Personally I would also like it to be earlier for the nights I can play. I also suspect that the tournament loses out as people have already reached their 'table limit' before it starts.

I have no problems with a £33 buy in but suspect that it would be easier to maintain with a £22 buy in and smaller guarantee. Whilst on that subject the £5 league PLO8's seem to be doing very well and I know that £11 ones were tried briefly but I really think that something between £5 and £33 would be well received.

Does there have to be a guarantee? I know Sky have their reasons but they seem to have made a rod for their own back by making everything on here a guaranteed tournament.

I have also mentioned a couple of times about running multi table SnG's these used to be very popular on another site I'm played, 3 x 6 player tables, with top 3 paid, or 30 player with top 5 paid, certainly for Holdem and I would think that at the lower levels (£3 & £5) these could fill in the evenings for PLO8 as well, certainly no outlay for Sky if they don't. Edit: actually scrap that for PLO8's, you would need nearly the whole PLO8 player pool to get a 30 player one running!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    MattBates said:

Tikay10 said:

Seems to me that not many of the PLO8 regulars played it.

Why would that be?

Cost looks like the issue to me, though I'm only guessing. Some don't play because it's a BH, me included, but we are in a very small minority.

It would be good if people could explain why they aren't playing, reminds me when we had a £22 deepstack in the schedule after lots of moaning and then lots who said they wanted deepstacks didn't play. If there was lots of people saying diff buy in or non bh would work then I am sure sky would listen. It is not like they would be upsetting large amounts of people if it was changed given it had 17 runners.
    Personally I am severely struggling with time management just now. If we could create 48 hours days I would not miss a tourney. I know you work hard and find time to put some decent poker volume in but I am not managing to pull a 'Matt Bates' at the moment. When I get more used to the routine I might be able to though :p

It does bother me. I want to be playing every game in the weekly league, hit some DYMs and have a few fun battles with Tikay et al, play the Sunday games, throw in some attempts to upset the NLHE MTT folks and update the leagues etc. However I am not managing it right now. I try and make sure I still update the league daily as I know several people enjoy taking part in that every week.

A common theme for others, judging from what I have read, is that people would like sattys. I understand why that may be a non starter for Sky though.
  • Options
    Some general thoughts on this topic...

What are the expectations for a £33 PLO8 tourney? I feel that, although the numbers could be better, they are 'okay'. On another site I used to play regularly there was a larger player base and they had a $33 PLO8 nightly tourney and it struggled to hit the $300 guarantee.

I feel personally that the time is a little late (we had this problem with the old £11 PLO8 BH). If the £33 PLO8 BH was sandwiched between the 2 £5.50 PLO8 BH games I would be very surprised if traffic did not go up between 20%-60%. I can see numerous reasons why Sky may/may not have issues with using such a time slot on a Sunday though.

I would also say a spread of buy ins would be good. The teatime £2.20 PLO8 BH goes largely unnoticed but seems to do very well. A teatime £1.10 rebuy PLO8 BH and a nightly £11 PLO8 BH would likely do well if given a suitable time slot and very modest guarantee.

Overall the PLO8 BHs are doing quite well IMO. Yesterday, between the 4 tourneys, we had 150+ entrants which, all things considered, seems decent.

Some good questions being asked and I feel Tikay, and Matt for that matter, are doing great trying to find the ideal scenario considering the games are not their particular cup of tea.
  • Options

"....Overall the PLO8 BHs are doing quite well IMO. Yesterday, between the 4 tourneys, we had 150+ entrants which, all things considered, seems decent......"

Yes, I agree with that.

The thread is focusing on one MTT, but overall, PLO8 is coming along nicely here.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Tikay10 said:

"....Overall the PLO8 BHs are doing quite well IMO. Yesterday, between the 4 tourneys, we had 150+ entrants which, all things considered, seems decent......"

Yes, I agree with that.

The thread is focusing on one MTT, but overall, PLO8 is coming along nicely here.

Yes agreed and in no small part due to your efforts!

My writing may be even less coherent than normal. Dogs going mental as the postman dared to deliver us mail and getting ready to go out. Fully appreciate the efforts ITT to find the ideal set up.
  • Options

"...My writing may be even less coherent than normal...."

huh?

Is that even possible?

• Options
    shipppp09shipppp09 Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2017
    My view as a total rec player who enjoys to dabble in PLO8 is that the buy in is slightly too high. Don’t have an issue with it being a bounty hunter. Could possibly reduce it to £22 with a re entry? Pretty sure you could keep the £500 gurentuee if you did that too. Also the start time isn’t great imo. 9.15pm start on a Sunday night? Most of us recs don’t particularly want to still be playing at 11pm/12pm with work the following day. I know typically if you play late it usually means uve cashed and have a chance at a decent score, but with only 3 places being paid in this particular mtt it doesn’t really ring true here. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    churchy18churchy18 Member Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2017
    For me £33 buy in is a bit much thats 6 shots at the £5.50 £200gtd b/hs so thats £1200gtd for my £33 6games i can play or £33 to enter for £500 gtd.

lots of the long term pl08 mtt players on here have only had £1.10 £2.20 £3.30 &£5.50 and most didn't play the old £5.50 games so jumping from £5.50 max buy in to £33 is a massive jump.

Would be great if some sats or even £11 dyms that paid top 2 a £33 ticket could be introduced make it more accessible for more people.
  • Options

Good feedback lads.

All things considered, I don't think satellites or DYM's that pay top 2 will be introduced. There are hundreds of regular NLH MTT's that, to be fair, have a better claim to such things, even assuming they were possible.
  • Options
    churchy18churchy18 Member Posts: 1,853
    p.s not all the pl08 players only want just b/hs
  • Options
    In regards to the buy in - If a poll were taken then I suspect it would show in a big way that people wanted a smaller buy in. However, while there are a small amount of people wanting a £33 (and willing to cough up the £33 entry fee in enough numbers to hit the guarantee) I don't think the answer is to take the £33 away or reduce the entry fee.

I mean if 10 people were willing to play a £10000 buy in every night on Sky... Would Sky reduce the buy in because people would generally, if asked, prefer a £55 buy in? Surely they would just introduce an additional £55 buy in tourney and keep the £10000 buy in. The salient point IMO would be whether there was scope to introduce an additional tourney somewhere into the mix which bridged the gap (i.e. a nightly £11 BI).

One worrying thing is the trend in entry numbers. There has been a steady drop which would suggest that next week we could be in trouble. Also next Sunday is Christmas Eve which I fear may not help. The decline in numbers could be due to people having other commitments approaching Christmas and stretched finances or the novelty of the tourney could be wearing off. You could make a strong argument for both IMO. After 3 games it is probably way too early to call it either way.
  • Options
    churchy18 said:

p.s not all the pl08 players only want just b/hs

Valid point. I think it leads to the debate that crops up in relation to regular NLHE games versus NLHE BHs though.

Personally I am not sure which I would prefer if traffic levels were similar for both. Think I marginally prefer the purist non BH format too.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Just want to pick up on 1 point Sir TalkALotInNorwegian made;

"Also next Sunday is Christmas Eve which I fear may not help"

As I mentioned yesterday, it's very possible that James will reduce a lot of Guarantees that night, or even (temporarily) drop some MTT's off the schedule for the night.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know.
  • Options

I now understand that the schedules & Guarantees will remain "as is" on Xmas Eve.

However....

Xmas Day & New Years Eve schedules WILL be curtailed & amended.

So the PLO8 thing on New Years Eve MAY have a reduced Guarantee, or even not run that night.

If & when I hear, I'll let you know.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Tikay10 said:

Just want to pick up on 1 point Sir TalkALotInNorwegian made;

"Also next Sunday is Christmas Eve which I fear may not help"

As I mentioned yesterday, it's very possible that James will reduce a lot of Guarantees that night, or even (temporarily) drop some MTT's off the schedule for the night.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

I do waffle on a lot :D

I might make an effort to come up with some sort of New Years resolution involving succinctness.

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    MattBates said:

Tikay10 said:

Seems to me that not many of the PLO8 regulars played it.

Why would that be?

Cost looks like the issue to me, though I'm only guessing. Some don't play because it's a BH, me included, but we are in a very small minority.

It would be good if people could explain why they aren't playing, reminds me when we had a £22 deepstack in the schedule after lots of moaning and then lots who said they wanted deepstacks didn't play. If there was lots of people saying diff buy in or non bh would work then I am sure sky would listen. It is not like they would be upsetting large amounts of people if it was changed given it had 17 runners.

Good points Matt, I played the first two £33 games and I enjoyed them, they played much better than the £5 versions. I couldn't play last night as it was our staff night out, but going forward I would prefer to see it a lower buy in if I am honest, I normally never buy in direct over £11, I will keep playing these as I don't mind a once a week, but ideally perhaps £22 or £11 would fit my bankroll better.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    I don't partake in the 4 card game/nonsense so feel free to disregard, but from the outside looking in I can't quite grasp why they don't run 1 or 2 sats for it.

I understand the business wants to protect it's bigger buy ins on a Sunday and that's perfectly normal. But a couple of 1/5 £7.20 sats surely wouldn't do much harm? Maybe one earlier in the day, the other a bit later. Doesn't even need to have a seat guarantee to protect against overlay so it really wouldn't cost anything to trial them.

I wouldn't bother with feeders, all ins (sorry, Alan) or a proper sat tree or anything of that nature, just a couple of the £7.20s to try and increase the numbers.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,108
    Tikay10 said:

Of the 17 runners, it was noticeable to me how few of the PLO8 regulars played it.

Here's the full field - how many of these would you consider part of the regular PLO8 guys here?

beefy777

hfdbull29
    Noddy99
    GGjoker
    Jessieak
    safc71
    lex907
    Djinnrummy (Jen Mason)
    _Mr_G_
    RSPCA12
    tomgoodun
    pomfrittes (in on a freebie)
    Conorshay1
    Whizzy
    Melty
    Catsnap
    Sidv79

It really depends what you mean by regulars. If we are talking about PLO8 MTTs (and the biggest are 2 £5.50 daily), then safc, tomgoodun, pommy, conor, whizzy, catsnap and sidv are all regulars. That is 7 "regular PLO8 guys" (and I may have missed some)-think you are either a bit out of date or a bit harsh here, teekster.

I had the best reason for not playing-didn't have £33 in my account :(

Best I play a bit better this week....

Phil