You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

I know the question, but I don't know the answer.

Comments

• Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    mumsie said:

Is there any way to un-tag myself from this thread? Its become a Steven King novel and I dont do horror.

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,535
    NoseyBonk said:

mumsie said:

Is there any way to un-tag myself from this thread? Its become a Steven King novel and I dont do horror.

Yep! buy into two sit&go's get the third free. Works in the Shop's.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    This thread certainly has taken a few odd twists and turns.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    mumsie said:

Yeah Goldon and Paige have turned yet another intelligent, useful discussion into another spam thread and contributed absolutely nothing to the debate. It's pushing away people who might actually post something worth reading more than once a year.

Would be nice if the moderators did something about it, especially if there's not a block function on the new software.

@Tikay10
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    edited December 2017
    EvilPingu said:

mumsie said:

Yeah Goldon and Paige have turned yet another intelligent, useful discussion into another spam thread and contributed absolutely nothing to the debate. It's pushing away people who might actually post something worth reading more than once a year.

Would be nice if the moderators did something about it, especially if there's not a block function on the new software.

@Tikay10
    Well I do feel some sympathy for you in this spot, as you spent a good bit of time trying to help Trish, & it turned out to be in vain. I'm 100% sure Trish never intended that, so it was all a bit unfortunate.

I would ask everyone, on threads like this, where we are trying to help players who are new to the game to not go off-topic though. Time & place & all that.

TIA.
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    Had a long think about this question and the answer is hard because i think poker and gambling is just built into some people. I think a way of helping newbies could be a points level up system. When you join you start on max 2p 4p or £1.10 buy in mtt when you have reached 100 points it opens up 5p 10p and £3 30 mtts with extra points available for forum use and short quizzes it could be an opt in thing so that more experienced players could bypass it
  • Options
    EvilPingu said:

mumsie said:

@Tikay10
    My comments on this thread were based on seeing how newbie's are treated when they come on the Forum to complain or ask advice. The Disciple's, Forum police, what ever you want to call them gang up just like in this thread to trash any comment, complaint they have. I advocated Priority love whats wrong with having someone from sky look after their interests, had already been suggested. Other sites have bustling practice area's where you can play at any time of day /night, here on sky nobody till the evening then 6 to 12 reg's in Miranda new player can't get on the table . This subject has been aired many times nothing constructive been done to solve the problem. I also advocated keeping the players we have and not lose them to one up'manship by the bully boys.
    To say my comments are rubbish and disruptive like the newbie's is part of the problem.
    If you don't like me ( don't do it here ) I have my thread. fwiw
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited December 2017
    goldon said:

EvilPingu said:

mumsie said:

@Tikay10
    My comments on this thread were based on seeing how newbie's are treated when they come on the Forum to complain or ask advice. The Disciple's, Forum police, what ever you want to call them gang up just like in this thread to trash any comment, complaint they have. I advocated Priority love whats wrong with having someone from sky look after their interests, had already been suggested. Other sites have bustling practice area's where you can play at any time of day /night, here on sky nobody till the evening then 6 to 12 reg's in Miranda new player can't get on the table . This subject has been aired many times nothing constructive been done to solve the problem. I also advocated keeping the players we have and not lose them to one up'manship by the bully boys.
    To say my comments are rubbish and disruptive like the newbie's is part of the problem.
    If you don't like me ( don't do it here ) I have my thread. fwiw

• Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    What's this Miranda??!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076

What's this Miranda??!

I believe he was referring to one of the Sky Poker "Free Play" Tables.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    To bring this back on thread and apologies if this has already been mentioned, what about cash tables and maybe the occasional well promoted MTT that are only available to new players (i.e. first 3 months of registering) Keep the buy ins small so that experienced players from other sites aren't encouraged to join just to exploit that but if they could only do so for 3 months anyway that would also bring in new members. I know other sites have new player freerolls and although Sky has a much smaller new player take up one a month wouldn't go a miss would it? If existing players made an effort to pop into the chat box and say hi I'm pretty sure that would make new players feel far more welcome than any promotion could ever do.

Have pop ups or messages on those tables encouraging players to post in the forum and maybe even have a 'Newbies' section in the forum where new players can introduce themselves and ask question/post hand histories etc.

• Options
    Enut said:

maybe even have a 'Newbies' section in the forum where new players can introduce themselves

This is a good idea IMO.

A simple pinned 'introduce yourself' thread, which then kind of works for existing players who might not post much and also new players, would be easy to introduce and help foster a sense of community.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Tikay10 said:

What's this Miranda??!

I believe he was referring to one of the Sky Poker "Free Play" Tables.

Yes, Miranda was not one of my bad jokes. Practice Tables or free play, where players can gain experience without losing their money, then go on to play for cash.
    My thumb fist attempt, to show that the £10 bonus put them straight into cash where they lose and have nowhere to go, when practice is found there is nobody to play, if they do find someone they struggle to get chips when they lose. I went on last night to find one player sitting alone for some time so joined to give them a game, when their chips had gone they could not reload because lack of stack. The way it is right now where you gain chips the better you get is OK getting the start is the problem and asked if , when player loses all his/her chips they auto get buy in on all tables not have to go back to start where nobody is playing. It has taken while for players to dwindle away so always going to be struggle to establish. It was suggested area where new players spend the welcome bonus on soft tables. I made my comments in good faith. We were all newbie's once. gl
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    markycash said:

Enut said:

maybe even have a 'Newbies' section in the forum where new players can introduce themselves

This is a good idea IMO.

A simple pinned 'introduce yourself' thread, which then kind of works for existing players who might not post much and also new players, would be easy to introduce and help foster a sense of community.
    No idea how easy it would be to set up but you could have an e-mail sent to players when they have played poker for the first time and linking them to this section.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

markycash said:

Enut said:

This is a good idea IMO.

No idea how easy it would be to set up but you could have an e-mail sent to players when they have played poker for the first time and linking them to this section.
    Agreed, the forum is almost a USP these days for a poker site. Players who just stick to the tables will make a simple objective choice about where they want to play and feel no particular loyalty to Sky. If they post on the forum, get to know some people, get some help with their game, generally get involved and take part in a few forum comps, etc etc...

They may feel they belong more to a community and stick around a bit longer.
  • Options
    H3nryH3nry Member Posts: 39
    Been considering this question for a long time as it is essential to the survival of not just sky but poker in general. I/we entrust large amounts of rake to sky poker which should be used to attract and keep new players.There are smarter people than me that may understand the psychology of newbies to find a solution.
    However there is 1 thing as 'regs' we can all do and that is not mock recreational players. There has recently been a reg who plays higher slumming it down at 10nl who at every opportunity it seems wants to ridicule recreational players for questionable plays. I don't understand it, recreational players are what give us our double figure win rates it's pretty tough to beat competent players with a 7.5% rake. Sure it's frustrating when your aces get beat by j4o all in pre but we should welcome it and do all we can to keep the money on the table, which likely means say nothing. So if you can't say nice hand say nothing.
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    lovely post H3nry xx thank you
  • Options
    H3nry said:

Been considering this question for a long time as it is essential to the survival of not just sky but poker in general. I/we entrust large amounts of rake to sky poker which should be used to attract and keep new players.There are smarter people than me that may understand the psychology of newbies to find a solution.
    However there is 1 thing as 'regs' we can all do and that is not mock recreational players. There has recently been a reg who plays higher slumming it down at 10nl who at every opportunity it seems wants to ridicule recreational players for questionable plays. I don't understand it, recreational players are what give us our double figure win rates it's pretty tough to beat competent players with a 7.5% rake. Sure it's frustrating when your aces get beat by j4o all in pre but we should welcome it and do all we can to keep the money on the table, which likely means say nothing. So if you can't say nice hand say nothing.

H3nry said:

your post has really hit the mark,are you a newbie would love to no thanks xx
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    H3nry said:

I know exactly who H3nry is referring to here. For one who professes to have such a high level of poker intelligence, it is gloriously ironic to see the distinct lack of it when this player exhibits such behaviour. Fortunately this kind of thing is the exception rather than the norm on Sky but, for all of us who would like to continue to have fun juicy games to play in, the old adage continues to ring true - don't tap the glass!
  • Options
    please enlighten me