You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

I know the question, but I don't know the answer.

Comments

• Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    I am the biggest fool on this site so if you no something I do not then please tell thanks
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    paige55 said:

I am the biggest fool on this site so if you no something I do not then please tell thanks

When you want to write multiple sentences, you can simply press the enter key on your keyboard, and write your next sentence, as I have done here. This will enable you to condense all of your posts into one single post.
  • Options
    I have six spam on my profile not sure what is going on :(:(:(:(:(
  • Options
    I really think it is time I closed my account down on the forum, mr tikay can I do that but still play poker on this site
  • Options
    if the answer is yes please help me in how I do
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,245
    paige55 said:

if the answer is yes please help me in how I do

You don't need to close your account, Trish, you can play on Sky Poker without being obliged to post on the forum. That's what most players do.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm going to close this thread for the night, and then re-open it tomorrow morning, to avoid further derails.
  • Options

Thread now re-opened.
  • Options
    markycash said:

Enut said:

maybe even have a 'Newbies' section in the forum where new players can introduce themselves

This is a good idea IMO.

A simple pinned 'introduce yourself' thread, which then kind of works for existing players who might not post much and also new players, would be easy to introduce and help foster a sense of community.
    I think this idea, suggested by Enut, & endorsed by Lord GoOn&On&On of Oslois correct in principle.

Whether it would work is another matter, but I'll certainly give it a try.

I'll start a thread & sticky it for a month or so, to see if it gains any traction. If it fails to attract any genuine feedback or questions, I'll unpin it & no harm has been done.
  • Options

^^^^^

Now done.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

markycash said:

Enut said:

maybe even have a 'Newbies' section in the forum where new players can introduce themselves

This is a good idea IMO.

A simple pinned 'introduce yourself' thread, which then kind of works for existing players who might not post much and also new players, would be easy to introduce and help foster a sense of community.
    No idea how easy it would be to set up but you could have an e-mail sent to players when they have played poker for the first time and linking them to this section.
    That's something I have suggested to The Business several times in the past. It's not been adopted, & Sky Poker have a high quality "Insight" Team (player research) so I'm happy to accept that they, with a wealth of data at their fingertips, which none of us have, know what they are doing. I'm pretty stubborn with these sort of things though, & if I were ever King For A Day, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Pretty sure I'll never be installed as King though.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,545
    No change no gain ........ only pain. fwiw

The Hotel Inspector ..... gets called in when things go down hill, no profit no Customers.
    She makes suggestions, changes, things they are doing wrong takes them to view other profit making Hotels for Idea's to get their business up and running again. It Works.!
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,654
    goldon said:

The Hotel Inspector ..... gets called in when things go down hill, no profit no Customers.
    She makes suggestions, changes, things they are doing wrong takes them to view other profit making Hotels for Idea's to get their business up and running again. It Works.!

running a hotel compared to running a poker/gaming site is abit different mate
  • Options
    H3nry said:

Been considering this question for a long time as it is essential to the survival of not just sky but poker in general. I/we entrust large amounts of rake to sky poker which should be used to attract and keep new players.There are smarter people than me that may understand the psychology of newbies to find a solution.
    However there is 1 thing as 'regs' we can all do and that is not mock recreational players. There has recently been a reg who plays higher slumming it down at 10nl who at every opportunity it seems wants to ridicule recreational players for questionable plays. I don't understand it, recreational players are what give us our double figure win rates it's pretty tough to beat competent players with a 7.5% rake. Sure it's frustrating when your aces get beat by j4o all in pre but we should welcome it and do all we can to keep the money on the table, which likely means say nothing. So if you can't say nice hand say nothing.

Welcome to the Forum, @H3nry , that's an excellent maiden post.

We - the players - don't need to worry about how Sky Poker or SB&G attract new players - they are very good at it, but that's not the problem.

The problem is how to help Newbies who can't play the game. If they lose their joining bonus &/or first Deposit in double quick time (see the OP) then that's it, they are gone.

This Forum is remarkable in that, unlike places like 2+2, where it's rife to diss new players who need help, on the Sky Poker Forum the terms "fish", "muppet" & the like are almost never seen.

On the Tables, yes, it still happens a bit, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

I'll address the matter of the player you refer to in my next post.

Whilst you are here, you clearly read the Forum but have never posted before. That was a great maiden post, so why not stick around, & get involved in the Community here?

Almost no other Online Poker Site has a Forum, so it behoves us all to look after it.

Hope to hear more from you.

PS - Are you a vacuum cleaner?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,654
    a suggestion
    give new players a 2.30 token if they reach 50 pts in the week for the 1st 3 months
  • Options

H3nry said:

Been considering this question for a long time as it is essential to the survival of not just sky but poker in general. I/we entrust large amounts of rake to sky poker which should be used to attract and keep new players.There are smarter people than me that may understand the psychology of newbies to find a solution.
    However there is 1 thing as 'regs' we can all do and that is not mock recreational players. There has recently been a reg who plays higher slumming it down at 10nl who at every opportunity it seems wants to ridicule recreational players for questionable plays. I don't understand it, recreational players are what give us our double figure win rates it's pretty tough to beat competent players with a 7.5% rake. Sure it's frustrating when your aces get beat by j4o all in pre but we should welcome it and do all we can to keep the money on the table, which likely means say nothing. So if you can't say nice hand say nothing.

I know exactly who H3nry is referring to here. For one who professes to have such a high level of poker intelligence, it is gloriously ironic to see the distinct lack of it when this player exhibits such behaviour. Fortunately this kind of thing is the exception rather than the norm on Sky but, for all of us who would like to continue to have fun juicy games to play in, the old adage continues to ring true - don't tap the glass!
    I don't know who you & @H3nry are referring to, so I can't possibly know if the player goes beyond the boundary of Compliant Chat. If you want to send me a PM with the players alias, I'll certainly pass it up to the Office for them to take a look.

We have to acknowledge though, that whilst it would be good for poker, players don't have to be nice to each other, but there is a line beyond which it is unacceptable.

It's poker, not the local Knitting Circle, so some degree of aggression is to be expected.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,545
    stokefc said:

goldon said:

running a hotel compared to running a poker/gaming site is abit different mate
    Not really business is business give the Customers value for money good service treat them correctly. they will stay.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Tikay10 said:

H3nry said:

I know exactly who H3nry is referring to here. For one who professes to have such a high level of poker intelligence, it is gloriously ironic to see the distinct lack of it when this player exhibits such behaviour. Fortunately this kind of thing is the exception rather than the norm on Sky but, for all of us who would like to continue to have fun juicy games to play in, the old adage continues to ring true - don't tap the glass!
    I don't know who you & @H3nry are referring to, so I can't possibly know if the player goes beyond the boundary of Compliant Chat. If you want to send me a PM with the players alias, I'll certainly pass it up to the Office for them to take a look.

We have to acknowledge though, that whilst it would be good for poker, players don't have to be nice to each other, but there is a line beyond which it is unacceptable.

It's poker, not the local Knitting Circle, so some degree of aggression is to be expected.
    There isn't anything in this that breaches any boundaries or is offensive - it's generally just sarcastic comments and things like 'lol at calling with J4'. Certainly nothing that needs naming and shaming for or sending 'upstairs'.

As H3nry alluded to, this kind of stuff is just plain stupid to do and all the more baffling when it comes from someone who appears to be a thinking player. As poker players, when trying to win, we will always be focused on making decisions which are the most +EV. Having a player at the table who is calling preflop raises with J4 is a pretty +EV situation and berating them for it in the chatbox and making them more inclined to leave the table (perhaps never to return) is a pretty idiotic -EV move. Given that this thread began by asking how we can assist new players and get them to stick around for longer, sarcastically berating them for poor play is certainly not going to help and is harmful to us all in the long run.

*For those who are unfamiliar, EV stands for expected value. +EV means something has a positive expected value and -EV means something has a negative expected value/outcome.
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    the new players who come on and lose their deposits and don't come back,there are two reasons for it I think.

1= they are trying online poker for maybe the first time,and are not really into it so just drift away and take up another hobby.

2= they try sky,lose their deposit,then try some other sites ,see theres more variety/choice on other sites and play there instead.

the first type you are never going to keep no matter what you do,the second type,you would need to change the schedule to keep them [less bounty hunters] but doing that would upset some of the players who already play on the site.