You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

notbrook journal or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bounty Hunters!

notbrook1notbrook1 Member Posts: 72
edited March 2018 in Poker Chat
Pinch punch first of the month!

I've decided to give streaming a go this evening. Will be live shortly: https://www.twitch.tv/notbrook

I tried it a few times back end of last year, however not being able to have fibre broadband can mean it gets a bit laggy for the viewer. After tweaking the settings it should be smooth, fingers crossed!

I will be playing in the mini and the main plus some PLO8 games. So if any of you have never played PLO8 before and want a walk through (hopefully before I get knocked out) of how to play and decent starting hands, then tune in.

This should turn into a blog of sorts and I will include more info tomorrow once I have time. If you have any questions then hit up the stream and say hello!

Comments

• Options
    adsthepro7adsthepro7 Member Posts: 264
    Looks good, GL on the grind! :)
  • Options
    Thanks @adsthepro7 and others who popped by. Didn't get the rub of the green tonight but I'm happy with the set up. Will introduce myself further tomorrow and the progress of my challenge. Cheers!
  • Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    Goodluck! I’ll come
    Watch!
  • Options
    Well I guess I should introduce myself, my name is Brook "notbrook", just to keep some of you guessing. I started playing poker in 2004 through the common route of University, what else to do with all that endless free time!? I've been playing on and off for many years, only recently taking it seriously again. I've played on every site under the sun but now only play on Sky and Stars. I enjoy all forms of poker, mainly NLH, more recently PLO8/NL08.

I got back from a ski trip in Jan this year and made a fresh £10 deposit on Sky. I ran like a god for just over a week and spun it up to just over £1,200. Playing just tournaments. £250 bonus came from final tabling Mini/Major. Such a great promo! Prior I had only really played cash and several tournaments sporadically dating back to 2011 and was £50 down. I decided to reset the stats on Sharkscope to give a clearer picture of my progress.

January's tournament results:

Thinking I would continue to rip up the felt, the start of February didn't take off the same way. A combination of bad calls, poor decision making and focus, coupled with plenty of bad beats meant a down swing and a revaluation of my game. Mid-way through Feb I decided to keep a closer eye on results, almost like a personal poker tracker. Recording my profit/losses for both cash and tournaments on a spreadsheet. I followed this video to give me an idea of how to lay it out. I would be interested to see if other players also do this and by what means they record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWDjOl50F50&index=24&list=PL0LvWBmXYpzmtul9uJhzhDT0RlDy-Cir1&t=276s

I've decided to be quite transparent with my winnings and losses and you can see my results from when I started on 13th February. Clicking the tabs at the bottom you will see March/April etc as and when I update from this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZHmhFi3SH4f07KMIVFKeAfeC_CfMlFKl98BBaNfn9No/edit?usp=sharing

Feb tournament results:

I did win a £3.30 PLO8 tournament that started in Feb and ended in March to put me almost break even for the month. But that will be in next months graph.
    ___

As you can see I have given myself a £1k bankroll which is exactly where I was from the winnings in January and losses early Feb. So essentially my challenge is a £10 to 5k by the end of the year, from that initial deposit. I will be playing cash games 10/20nl and tournaments up to £33, with emphasis on qualifying through the satellites for the higher buy ins. Some SitnGo's and HU games £2-5. I will continue to play PLO8 b/h's even though it can be the most frustrating game ever! 90% fav to scoop and end up losing the whole pot, it's even happened on the bubble. Gah!

Here are some aims for March: (as you can see I'm already in the red!)

1. Stop ranting in the chat to let off steam. Instead embrace the bad beats and bad play, laugh it off! If anyone see's me berating in the chat you have my permission to call me out on it, post a screen shot in this blog and shame me!

2. Make £450 profit for the month on cash and tournaments.

3. Stream on Twitch. I want to get more people playing mixed games and wish there was a bigger pool of players for PLO8. Get NLH addicts to try four cards with split pots.

4. Qualify for Vegas!? Long shot, but you never know.

5. Post hands in this thread over the coming months, get a discussion going and participate in similar discussions on other threads.

Gl at the tables.

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Nice introduction :).

Having crossed your path at the tables a few times, I've no doubt you'll smash your target. Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be your strongest game/format?

That's some impressive record keeping btw. All I do is seperately keep track of total results from cash and MTT's (nothing for specific stakes, hourly rates etc.). Would be nice if Sky could make this sort of thing easier for us though (I really miss pokertracker when playing here!).

Best of luck and I'll probably pop into the stream at some point.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,739
    Hi Notbrook
    Good luck in your quest.
    Do you still think it’s bad to call with AKKK 😉
    Yup, berating others play in chat box isn’t great, we all get frustrated at times and it isn’t easy to keep your focus but that’s the way forward if you want to succeed.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Nice introduction :).

Having crossed your path at the tables a few times, I've no doubt you'll smash your target. Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be your strongest game/format?

That's some impressive record keeping btw. All I do is seperately keep track of total results from cash and MTT's (nothing for specific stakes, hourly rates etc.). Would be nice if Sky could make this sort of thing easier for us though (I really miss pokertracker when playing here!).

Best of luck and I'll probably pop into the stream at some point.

Thanks @Duesenberg. All I'll say is I'm glad I don't see you much at 10nl anymore! I haven't quite worked out the regs are 20nl but there are some really decent players at 10nl who could and should be playing higher. Your blog has been a big inspiration to starting this and I have enjoyed seeing you reach your targets and goals.

My strongest game ROI seems to be PLO8 tournaments, but smaller fields mean ROI is higher. I guess I haven't really explained the title of the blog. At the start of the year, I like you prefer the slower, deep stack tournaments. However I'm now really starting to embrace the bounty hunters, especially if you go deep and have yet to anyone out. You can start to pick up bigger bounties from those that have knocked out a bunch of people early on. I do agree with you that they are good for weaker players as with an example in £33 the other night a player called my 12 bb shove in the sb with KJs vs AQo. Would this player make the call if I didn't have a bounty on my head? Maybe not. But it's a good call either way with his stack size.

I can understand not wanting huds on a site, but I miss not being able to collate hands and work out winnings and hourly rates. At the end of each day tallying it up doesn't take too long. By all means copy the formulas if you want to try it out.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

Hi Notbrook
    Good luck in your quest.
    Do you still think it’s bad to call with AKKK 😉
    Yup, berating others play in chat box isn’t great, we all get frustrated at times and it isn’t easy to keep your focus but that’s the way forward if you want to succeed.

I am sorry about that Tom, I crossed a line in my juvenile comments. I'm an emotionally reactive person, thinking before typing is definitely something to work on.

I used to think it would make good players, give me action and they would play more on their emotions. Crazy logic. But obviously it has the opposite effect, I end up donking off my chips to others in other tournaments as I'm the one running on emotions.

Should you want to play AKKK in future, be my guest. :smiley:

• Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,739
    Apology accepted.
    Playing AKKK is soooo last week, I’m concentrating on the lo part of the pot these days.😉
    Have a great weekend, good luck on the felt.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    We're live on Twitch streaming a bunch of tournaments inc. the deep stacks. If you're on my table and want to see what I bluffed you with, tune in!

• Options
    adsthepro7adsthepro7 Member Posts: 264
    Would be cool if you saved your streams so us workers can watch it back later :) Hope the session went well tonight dude.

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    In for streams and MTT shenanigans!
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,168
    Watched a bit last night, was good.

Like looking in a mirror at times with some of your reactions to certain flop textures and subsequent actions, I usually smash the fold button a little harder though :smiley:

I noticed you opened a note at one point, must admit I would be a bit scared to do that in case the previous content was x-rated.........

Agree with ads regarding the saving of streams, think that would be good.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,970
    HENDRIK62 said:

Watched a bit last night, was good.

Like looking in a mirror at times with some of your reactions to certain flop textures and subsequent actions, I usually smash the fold button a little harder though :smiley:

I noticed you opened a note at one point, must admit I would be a bit scared to do that in case the previous content was x-rated.........

Agree with ads regarding the saving of streams, think that would be good.

Unlimited scope for fun there, I can think of a few Stations of whom you'd not really want your Notes seen.....

• Options
    Thanks @HENDRIK62 and others for tuning last weekend. There is a danger with showcasing notes but 99% just have Sharkscope data, number of games played, ROI etc. There's a few that just say, maniac do not bluff!

So it's been a one step forward, two steps back kind of week. We have been really struggling to post any wins on the cash tables which started from back end of Feb. We're on a £100 down swing. I have made some mistakes but at the same time we haven't been hitting any flops, if we do our value seems to always been taken away on the turn/river with scare cards. Of course a run of bad beats or having rogue hands calls us down streets to only make their hand through random 3 or 4 outers. What it has done in turn has made me play more conservatively and reduce sizeable winnings.

Tournaments have really been a complete **** show especially NLH in the past 6 weeks. We have been running horribly. Maybe I'm not playing enough, maybe I'm playing too much, it's hard to gauge whether to focus on a small amount of bigger buy ins or spread myself wide with a range. In January the deck was hitting us in the face and opponents were calling gutshots etc. and not getting there, now we're regularly losing flips and their random hands are getting there.

Pre 24th Jan and post 24th Jan just NLH

Thankfully PLO8 tournaments have started to turn back in our favour and although we lost a lot of value not winning any, we did finish 3 x 2nd's and 2 x 5ths in consecutive PLO8 tournaments inc the Sunday £33. With the B/H there is so much more valuable to finish 1st keeping your own bounty, so even though it topped up the bankroll it could really have boosted further. It's really fine margins in these HU tournaments the blinds are high and without the option of shoving you need to hit to flop or you can't do anything about it.

Below shows how much PLO8 has had in keeping me afloat this month and throughout February.

Currently the bankroll sits at £1115 we are down just over £60 this month so far.
    Everything is updated here at the end of the day: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZHmhFi3SH4f07KMIVFKeAfeC_CfMlFKl98BBaNfn9No/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    These are a few of my fav hands from yesterday:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    misterpjSmall blind100.00100.002562.50
    utangBig blind200.00300.004340.00
    Your hole cards
    jobes1Fold
    BleurghAll-in3252.503552.500.00
    Pjak47Fold
    notbrook1All-in2825.006377.500.00
    misterpjAll-in2562.508940.000.00
    utangFold
    BleurghUnmatched bet427.508512.50427.50
    misterpjShow
    • Q
    BleurghShow
    notbrook1Show
    Flop
    • K
    • J
    • K
    Turn
    River
    • Q
    misterpjWinTwo Pairs, Kings and Queens8187.508187.50
    notbrook1WinTwo Pairs, Kings and 10s325.00325.00

• Options
    notbrook1Small blind20.0020.001920.00
    MadHunterBig blind40.0060.003200.00
    Your hole cards
    MynaFrettFold
    HOLLYWHITFold
    ipswich178Fold
    FUNKYB31All-in1202.501262.500.00
    notbrook1All-in1920.003182.500.00
    MadHunterFold
    notbrook1Unmatched bet737.502445.00737.50
    notbrook1Show
    FUNKYB31Show
    • J
    Flop
    • A
    Turn
    River
    FUNKYB31WinFlush to the 102445.002445.00
  • Options
    BritmicSmall blind1000.001000.0013800.00
    notbrook1Big blind2000.003000.0042815.00
    Your hole cards
    redpaul06Call2000.005000.0082702.50
    FRANK100Fold
    dev25Fold
    SGODDZ1SGAll-in13250.0018250.000.00
    BritmicFold
    notbrook1All-in42815.0061065.000.00
    redpaul06Fold
    notbrook1Unmatched bet31565.0029500.0031565.00
    notbrook1Show
    SGODDZ1SGShow
    Flop
    • Q
    • A
    Turn
    River
    SGODDZ1SGWinFlush to the Ace29500.0029500.00
  • Options
    Decided to play an early B/H today and this hand comes up against chip leader playing very loose aggressive. Has £10 bounty on his head and for 33k in chips next person is on 12k. Gross.
    HardtimeSmall blind100.00100.003965.00
    eaturchipsBig blind200.00300.003725.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    utangFold
    notbrook1Raise400.00700.0024880.00
    ALLIN57Raise1500.002200.009902.50
    HardtimeFold
    eaturchipsFold
    notbrook1Call1100.003300.0023780.00
    Flop
    notbrook1Check
    ALLIN57Bet3300.006600.006602.50
    notbrook1All-in23780.0030380.000.00
    ALLIN57All-in6602.5036982.500.00
    notbrook1Unmatched bet13877.5023105.0013877.50
    notbrook1Show
    • A
    ALLIN57Show
    • K
    • J
    Turn
    • K
    River
    ALLIN57WinPair of Kings23105.0023105.00

It's getting really demoralising but I know one win can turn things around and we can move on up from here. In the past these are often the times I will quit for a few months as I think I can't beat the game. Apologies for posting these bad beats, we've all seen them before but I think it will help me to stay strong knowing that for the most part I'm making correct decisions and soon they'll turn round again.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Sorry to hear about the runbad. It's your diary though so moan and whinge all you like - it can certainly be therapeutic to get these things off your chest :).

Good luck!