You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew

Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
edited December 2021 in Strategy
To celebrate the addition of the new Tournament Strategy forum seciton, our very own Julian Thew is going to be appearing on this guest thread answering any questions you might have about tournament poker. It can be particular spots or more general advice, and can also be from online or live. 

(OK, the above was from a cash game...)

If you have a question, simply post it on this thread - please put it in bold to make it easier to pick your question out from some of the discussion.

Julian has won over $2.9m in tournament earnings, with EPT, GUKPT and GPS titles to his name, so he's definitely got the credentials to help your poker game. 

Fire away and enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew:
    Julian has won over $2.9m in tournament earnings...Posted by Sky_Dave
    ...yet still hasn't bought me a drink - what's up with that!?
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited February 2014
    hello all,

yes please do feel free to post anything with regard to MTTs...foggy spots, game flow dynamics, iffy calls; these are just a few areas that i regularly find myself second guessing my thought processes in, 

hey, together we might learn something!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew:
    In Response to Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew : ...yet still hasn't bought me a drink - what's up with that!?
    Posted by Slipwater

lesson #1, how to manage a bankroll - leave it in the hands of one you trust.

splurging of poker funds prob warrants a seperate thread that mrs thew might be better handling ;o)

• Options
    Sky_DaveSky_Dave Member Posts: 3,288
    edited February 2014
    Personal question here: how much do your traditional 3betting  ranges in tournaments vary depending on the villain? For instance, is your 3b range vastly wider for an aggro opponent or do you stick with a relatively solid (but slightly wider) range?

Oh, and in before Sky Poker trolls me for that KTo move again. :)
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,562
    edited February 2014

Now Paul action Jackson has won last night's DTD comp on Sky* (oh, plus a small one at the actually DTD venue at the w/end), are you willing to put your skills to the test and join us in future games? 

*every Monday - see thread for details.
    (you may need to get some staking deals off forum as you will need £5.50 to play all the 3 games)

You are more than welcome to guest for TKP if you decide to play.

I will actually get round to some tournie questions later.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ahh the old KTo 4b cram, still brings a smile to my face...

personnally my 3b'ing ranges are pretty solidish regardless of an opponents style...i would widen it somewhat vs aggro opponents but prob mix that up with a trappier game plan if i think they're likely to take-off vs perceived weakness/passive lines.

tbh, i don't have set ranges as such, kind of just base it on game-flow & table make-up #oldschool

would be interested to hear others opinions on this
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Now Paul action Jackson has won last night's DTD comp on Sky* (oh, plus a small one at the actually DTD venue at the w/end), are you willing to put your skills to the test and join us in future games?  *every Monday - see thread for details. (you may need to get some staking deals off forum as you will need £5.50 to play all the 3 games) You are more than welcome to guest for TKP if you decide to play. I will actually get round to some tournie questions later.
    Posted by MAXALLY

i'm game ;o)

will swerve next week as it's half term, the mother is over & it's UKPC week but if i can remember i'm in in a fortnight!

#DonationsVilleCentral

• Options
    gruntexgruntex Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2014
    how would you go about playing a big stack in a tourney? or what would you say was the best strategy when you have built a big stack?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew : i'm game ;o) will swerve next week as it's half term, the mother is over & it's UKPC week but if i can remember i'm in in a fortnight! #DonationsVilleCentral
    Posted by yoyo

Ty ty. I will remind you closer to the time, and put you down on the reg thread as a TKP guest :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew : Ty ty. I will remind you closer to the time, and put you down on the reg thread as a TKP guest :)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    tx mate
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    how would you go about playing a big stack in a tourney? or what would you say was the best strategy when you have built a big stack?
    Posted by gruntex

there are many ways to play a big stack;

the most obvious tactic is to up the aggression - it's a lot easier to apply pressure on the shorter & medium stacks...i tend to do this but, it's equally important to value your newly aquired gains as if you're not careful it's easy to find yourself priced in to making too many marginal calls.

that being said, if you're style is a tight one you shouldn't feel that you're not playing properly if you don't adjust - there are many way to skin a cat, look at any final table & you'll usually always see one or two tight players who have just played snug, caught some bluffs & played a solid/sensible game.

in summary, for newer players, i think it's it's good to experiment with a big stack as you develop your playing style...learning from your mistakes & missteps are often the best way to improve so don't be too hard on yourself when it goes pear-shaped.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Ok, here are some questions from me as promised.

1)Limping/calling pre flop when another player is all in.

I would like your views on this one as I am for this, and another player I discuss strategy with, is against this. For example you are in the BB with ave stack or more than ave stack and the SB is all in pre due to a mishap the previous hand. There is a min raise and one caller before you. You are holding a bag of spanners but it is only say 400 chips to make up out of a stack of 8K. I find in these spots, you can often get to the river for free or cheaply as players do normally check it down. You may hit big with your hand too and be ready to pounce if someone does try to steal pot. I say worth the gamble, my mate says it is a waste of 400 chips. Please note, I am not talking about BH's or rebuys.....just freeze outs.

2) Shoving with premium hands around the bubble in MTT's.

Another one which me and my mate disagree on. I am for shoving as if you get a call, you are in good shape, and if you don't....you pick up the blinds anyway. They think you should always induce and let others make the shove so you can isolate over the top. I am again only talking about freeze outs and only ON or near the bubble.

3) Hand ranges in the 1st 10 levels of a deep stack.

Obv, depending on chip stacks, position in tournament and on table but I seem to be getting caught more and more with hands like AQ....10 10.....J J which are against AK or another over pair. In what situations can we peel with hands like this and get away from them on a wet flop?

TYIA.

• Options
    edited February 2014

1)Limping/calling pre flop when another player is all in.

I think calling in these spots is ok but a few factors need to be considered;

If stacks are shallow (-15bb) we need to be confident in our ability to let top pair/weak kicker type hands go, as it’s def a leak to see a 4 way flop with Q4 & go broke on a Q high flop.

Secondly it should also be table dependant – if i’m on a tough table i’m less likely to want to get involved with poor hands...it’s way better to open hands that you want to play, than to be drawn into murky waters against strong players with a trash hand & to make matters worse, out of position.

2) Shoving with premium hands around the bubble in MTT's.

I think a lot of the time this should be opponent/game flow dependant & how said opponents perceive you;

Inducing is likely to garner more action than simply shoving as it’s way harder to call-off than it is to shove – that being said if for example you have shoved a 12bb stack 3 times in the last four orbits you need to recognise that suddenly min-raising will set off alarm bells to anyone who’s paying attention.

3) Hand ranges in the 1st 10 levels of a deep stack.

In the early levels we should be able to let go of strong high-ace hands that totally miss flops as our stack to pot ratio is no where near the point of pot commitment.

Playing so deep in the early levels allows us to employ a very flexibile style with lots of scope for not getting too involved when we don’t don’t hit flops hard (i know, easier said than done)...one of the worst things you can do is panic when you drop from 3000 to 1700 at 20/40 blinds; forget what stack-sizes everyone else is pedalling, we still have 40bb’s, very playable!

• Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,579
    edited February 2014
    Prob a really boring Q BUT when you sit down at a live table what is your mental "tick list" i.e. What do you do first, second etc.....I ask this as I guess it mite be important?  e,g, Do you assess the table by personality/age/dress ?  Do you make assumptions? e,g, "he's new to live poker + can be bullied" ;-(  
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    1)Limping/calling pre flop when another player is all in. I think calling in these spots is ok but a few factors need to be considered; If stacks are shallow (-15bb) we need to be confident in our ability to let top pair/weak kicker type hands go, as it’s def a leak to see a 4 way flop with Q4 & go broke on a Q high flop. Secondly it should also be table dependant – if i’m on a tough table i’m less likely to want to get involved with poor hands...it’s way better to open hands that you want to play, than to be drawn into murky waters against strong players with a trash hand & to make matters worse, out of position.   2) Shoving with premium hands around the bubble in MTT's. I think a lot of the time this should be opponent/game flow dependant & how said opponents perceive you; Inducing is likely to garner more action than simply shoving as it’s way harder to call-off than it is to shove – that being said if for example you have shoved a 12bb stack 3 times in the last four orbits you need to recognise that suddenly min-raising will set off alarm bells to anyone who’s paying attention.   3) Hand ranges in the 1st 10 levels of a deep stack. In the early levels we should be able to let go of strong high-ace hands that totally miss flops as our stack to pot ratio is no where near the point of pot commitment. Playing so deep in the early levels allows us to employ a very flexibile style with lots of scope for not getting too involved when we don’t don’t hit flops hard (i know, easier said than done)...one of the worst things you can do is panic when you drop from 3000 to 1700 at 20/40 blinds; forget what stack-sizes everyone else is pedalling, we still have 40bb’s, very playable!
    Posted by yoyo

Thank you for the time you have have given for a superb answered post.

See you a week on Monday for the DTD comp :)

I might see you before then at the UKPC....just sorting a few things out this week so I can get over for at least a visit.

• Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited February 2014
    hi julian, i think i heard someone say on the sky poker channel that you arnt huge on the maths side of poker, i understand pots odds etc but im far from a maths genious and a lot of the stuff people come out with regarding the maths side of the game goes straight over my head, how important do you think maths are in poker???
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Prob a really boring Q BUT when you sit down at a live table what is your mental "tick list" i.e. What do you do first, second etc.....I ask this as I guess it mite be important?  e,g, Do you assess the table by personality/age/dress ?  Do you make assumptions? e,g, "he's new to live poker + can be bullied" ;-(  
    Posted by Glenelg

hah, not boring at all,

i probably did have a tick list when i was starting off, nowadays it's more automatic i guess - initial reads on table make-up are the stereotypical age/dress/manner type things but, even within an hour if ur paying attention you can make far more accurate assesments,

just don't think your work is done after that first hour as it's still a very small sample size...you certainly wouldn't pay too much heed to HUD stats after just 15 mins of online play...in my experience how folk play the early levels can be poles apart from their mid & late game play.

to summarise; pay attention!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    hi julian, i think i heard someone say on the sky poker channel that you arnt huge on the maths side of poker, i understand pots odds etc but im far from a maths genious and a lot of the stuff people come out with regarding the maths side of the game goes straight over my head, how important do you think maths are in poker
    Posted by THEROCK573

yes it's true, i have a rough idea of pot odds & hand equities but would never be confident enough to air my numbers as i'm pretty sure i could be off by 5% either way...kinda helps me justify my sometimes-spewy play from time to time ;o)

so yes, i've got by with pretty basic maths & i think i've said this before elsewhere; you don't need to tick every box to be a winning player..so maybe your maths isn't 100% but if you do some other things well you can still be competitive.

if you want to improve the maths side there are plenty of training vids out there & kirsty arnett did a decent two-parter pokernews podcast with wiltontilt recently, you'll find it on itunes from 3 or 4 months back

• Options
    THEROCK573THEROCK573 Member Posts: 2,550
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew : yes it's true, i have a rough idea of pot odds & hand equities but would never be confident enough to air my numbers as i'm pretty sure i could be off by 5% either way...kinda helps me justify my sometimes-spewy play from time to time ;o) so yes, i've got by with pretty basic maths & i think i've said this before elsewhere; you don't need to tick every box to be a winning player..so maybe your maths isn't 100% but if you do some other things well you can still be competitive. if you want to improve the maths side there are plenty of training vids out there & kirsty arnett did a decent two-parter pokernews podcast with wiltontilt recently, you'll find it on itunes from 3 or 4 months back
    Posted by yoyo
    ok thanks
  • Options
    MSD1982MSD1982 Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2014
    Evening

Was just wondering on the best strategy as i seem to cash a fairly high percentage of tourni's but ive only final tabelled one. I always seem to lower my range and call fairly light, is this a discipline issue or should i keep pushing to make the bigger cashes?

Cheers

Martyn