You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew

Comments

• Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited March 2014
    i put a wishey-washey type reply up on the thread...not sure it added much at all to the debate

played a turbo & the main event in dublin, the turbo was pretty uneventful but i played very badly in the ME.

dribbled from 20k to 17 & ground it up to 25 after the first break before brain-**** most of my stack away because i thought the guy was full of ch1t - i called his 3b w AQ, CR the 810J flop & called-off when he shipped his aces...i do tend to whack it off two or three times a year, this def counts lol.

the remaining 7k went in with tens vs same guys AK, got what i deserved
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited March 2014
    Cheers Julian.

the good old hero call gone wrong. probably the most embarassing thing in poker.

I saw an article in a magazine once where michael mizrachi said he had to have a postit stuck to his screen saying "they are not playing back at you!" when he played online.

hopefully this'll be the last one of the yr :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    yeah i'm hoping ))

that's the 2nd this year so i'm allowing myself the possibility of one more.

• Options
    jonjo75jonjo75 Member Posts: 999
    edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew:
    Cheers Julian. the good old hero call gone wrong. probably the most embarassing thing in poker. I saw an article in a magazine once where michael mizrachi said he had to have a postit stuck to his screen saying "they are not playing back at you!" when he played online. hopefully this'll be the last one of the yr :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I think I will have to use that idea :)
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited May 2014
    BUMP!

You already have an EPT title so which would you rather have on the CV?

UKPC win or WSOP bracelet?

Or would it purely matter which one had more ftw?

EDIT.....can add in WPT title after the recent DTD announcement!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    hah, these are the kind of questions i don't struggle with,

i'll take another ept or a wsop win tyvm,

who am i kidding, i'd snap accept a win in tonights turbo open
  • Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    edited May 2014
    isolating limpers in the mid and late stages of MTT without loosing too many chips myself.

as we get deep into a tournament where blinds become important, so the last thing i want to be doing is loosing the chance to steal the small blinds and big blinds loosing out to them post flop too often and making it too easy for them to steal my blinds when they just limp preflop and min bet post flop. one of my difficulties is i'm a cash player most of the time and isolating limpers is the thing i find much easier on cash than MTT as i'll always have 90-100 BB the blinds will be the same and as i can restock my chips the risk is not so high.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    hey craig,

not sure if that's a question or a statement!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    isolating limpers in the mid and late stages of MTT without loosing too many chips myself. as we get deep into a tournament where blinds become important, so the last thing i want to be doing is loosing the chance to steal the small blinds and big blinds loosing out to them post flop too often and making it too easy for them to steal my blinds when they just limp preflop and min bet post flop. one of my difficulties is i'm a cash player most of the time and isolating limpers is the thing i find much easier on cash than MTT as i'll always have 90-100 BB the blinds will be the same and as i can restock my chips the risk is not so high.
    Posted by craigcu12
    Reading of board textures is key here and also stack sizes. A lot of the time limpers will play face up post flop so you need to know when to shut down post. Also, you need to make sure your stack size is sufficient that you don't end up decimating your stack if you have to fire a couple of streets. Experience of these situations is important so I would review your hands then post them here and people can advise.
  • Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited May 2014
    Hi Julian

How would you adapt your game based on weather antes are in play or not? And would you change your style slightly in the levels comming up to ante's comming into play than what you would in a mtt without any. 
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    hey don,

the pots are bigger once the antes kick in so just recognise that stealing becomes way more profitable.

i might adjust my raise sizes slightly preflop but it's kind of table dependant.

the game def feels like it's on once they kick in!

& fwiw i really like the new dtd structure for the big weekend comps, you get 50k in chips & the antes start from level one at 100/200/25, much better nthan the usual 25/50, 50/100 etc 
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew : Reading of board textures is key here and also stack sizes. A lot of the time limpers will play face up post flop so you need to know when to shut down post. Also, you need to make sure your stack size is sufficient that you don't end up decimating your stack if you have to fire a couple of streets. Experience of these situations is important so I would review your hands then post them here and people can advise.
    Posted by MattBates
    tx for stepping in son!
  • Options
    profman15profman15 Member Posts: 1,808
    edited May 2014
    Hi Julian,
     I saw in an earliiar post that you'd hardly ever shove in sb with more than 10bbs. Now I enjoy deep stacks on Sky though lack of antes alters things like the worth of stealing etc. 
    However, it's very easy to , after maintaining an above average stack throughout a T, to find at say level 11 300/600 that the av stack is m=18 with about 20 left., that with some passive play your sstack drops quickly .By level twelve and around the bubble that has reduced but you may be still be m=8 even 9 or 10 . Now some books eg killer online looks at jam/fold for m=8. For instance equilibrium solution is  range in sb with say m=8 is 33% and for m=6 is 40.6%. These figures seem pretty wide and it is a jam/fold recommendation with m=8 or less which is for a greater ss than 10bbs. 
    With a big ss to my left I find a lot calling and ive put my T at risk. 

My q's
    1. M=8 do you say leave jam/fold advice until 10 bbs ?
    2. Do you set a value to reach by a certain level as two passive levels can find your ss decimated at these high levels?
    3. At these high levels the table tends to go into limp mode. A raise is greeted by a either a fold or ai response. Do you still think raise is bet or follow the table?
    4. Is the equilibrium solution still seen as the way to go?

Sorry for the length of the article it just seems to be a problem that I'm having where passivity for a short period leaves me with lfew options according to the books. Should I be considering getting looser at say level 10 to increase my stack to a particular value of m?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    hey profman,

i wouldn't say i never shove 10bb+, i cud def see myself shoving hands like 33 for slightly more as when we get flatted it's not easy to continue.
    a lot of the time tho these spots will be opponent & game flow dependant.

i've never set myself chip targets but recently i am aware that i do seem to have an activity-dip in the mid to late stages; i think i just need to remind myself to stay active as, like you say, your stack can really evaporate if we fold every hand for a level or two.

i prefer coming in for a raise over a limper or two altho occasionally i'll follow suit.

sub 10bb i tend to be very shove happy, prob shoving 40ish% unless the bb is bossing & decent in which case i'd prob tighten up a little, maybe knocking the bottom 5% off.

hope that goes some way to helping

• Options
    Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
    edited June 2014
    So. Nearly the 4th for the 2.20, 

How will u approach such tough field, do you think you can take orfords crown.

Also do u know you are not allowed too call rainmans all in, even if u have the nuts.

On a serious note, how do u usually approach a deep stack tournament? 

• Options
    edited June 2014
    orford has a crown?

big sigh

can't promise not to call anyones all-in lol & approach-wise i imagine i'll play pretty snug until after the dinner break...there is a dinner break right?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    orford has a crown? big sigh can't promise not to call anyones all-in lol & approach-wise i imagine i'll play pretty snug until after the dinner break...there is a dinner break right?
    Posted by yoyo
    Do you find you ever have a certain strategy pre tournament and then change it a lot during a tournament?

EG, plan to play snug then get knocked out first?
  • Options
    TheUKSpoonTheUKSpoon Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew : Do you find you ever have a certain strategy pre tournament and then change it a lot during a tournament? EG, plan to play snug then get knocked out first?
    Posted by MattBates

Can't state how much this made me laugh.

xD

• Options
    edited June 2014
    i don't know what you're talkin' about son 

lol

• Options
    albion90albion90 Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2014
    Hi I have a question regarding tournament structure which i'm interested to find out.

If a tournament is offering 1 re-entry before the break for anyone eliminated then is it not standard format to offer an add-on at the break to anyone who has not gone out?

I was under the impresssion its meant to be however played tourney where this wasn't the case.