You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew

Comments

• Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2014
    hi,

some do & some don't...i'm guessing the one you played just offered an optional re-entry if you busted.

add-ons tend to go hand in hand with re-buys, 

i like both formats & were an add-on offered i would nearly always take it.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited July 2014
    Hey Julian

Player has been opening heeps, every button/ most pots.

But, he has also called a 4 bet all in with K8, albeit player was quite short.

Donttelmum Small blind  150.00 150.00 8110.00
    LARSON7 Big blind  300.00 450.00 6778.00
      Your hole cards

liamboi11 Fold     
    Raise  600.00 1050.00 20729.50
    Donttelmum Fold     
    LARSON7 ?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    hey mr,

with antes i'm probably ripping it in with all small pairs...without antes tho 23bb is too much i'd say.

i prob flat knowing that i'm just check folding most of the time which rarely fills me with joy altho from the little you've said i'd be confident of getting paid if we binked a set.

folding's ok as well & personally i don't like 3b'ing OOP vs a sticky big stack with just about the worst possible hand for flopping any sort of equity
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited July 2014
    Cheers Julian!

I made a bit of a mistake here, was expecting a fold, shouldn't have 3 bet, as he was calling really wide.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    no problem at all sir,

weirdly enuf i was faced with thus very spot w 19bb in last nights BH so tx for prepping me,

i called & check/folded turn as predicted...was nice to get a free card at least
  • Options
    Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
    edited October 2014
    Im struggling with some parts late on in mtt's.

although i seem too know where im going wrong but still make these errors, i feel miby there stealing beacause i raise the button or i have a pair im hope its just 2 over cards... but still i feel i should be folding these and not calling but continue too make theses errors late on
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    darryl1976 Small blind  600.00 600.00 34365.00
    myrrdhin Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 17756.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • A

KEITH1960 Fold     
    IDONKCALLU Fold     
    Chris_Mc Raise  3600.00 5400.00 17619.62
    darryl1976 Fold     
    myrrdhin All-in  17756.00 23156.00 0.00
    Chris_Mc Call  15356.00 38512.00 2263.62
    myrrdhin Show
    • K
    • K

Chris_Mc Show
    • J
    • A

Flop

• K

Turn

• A

River

myrrdhin Win Three Kings 38512.00

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    unbpower Small blind  4000.00 4000.00 292656.79
    buffa45 Big blind  8000.00 12000.00 159360.00
      Your hole cards

gilly88 Fold     
    Chris_Mc Call  8000.00 20000.00 87655.08
    HENDRIK62 Raise  24000.00 44000.00 316566.13
    unbpower Fold     
    buffa45 Fold     
    Chris_Mc All-in  87655.08 131655.08 0.00
    HENDRIK62 Call  71655.08 203310.16 244911.05
    Chris_Mc Show

HENDRIK62 Show
    • K
    • K

Flop

• K

Turn

• A

River

HENDRIK62 Win Three Kings 203310.16
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited October 2014
    Seeing as Julian is far too busy* to chirp up, I'll give you my 2 cents Chris on those hands above. Can see 2 fundamental errors.

Hand one. Min raise! There is no need to 3x any hand at any table position at this stage of the tournament. If villain still shoves (which they should), then calling will pretty much totally depend on the table flow and dynamic. I'd say AJ is right at the bottom of the calling range for almost our whole stack; AQ and AK pretty easy calls, AJ less so.

Hand 2. We only have 12bb. A PP in the cutoff? It's probably a shove pre. I don't think we can/should raise fold from our stack size. Shoving means we can't be exploited, but we are never loving it when we are called. Wouldn't even begrudge an open fold sometimes. When you limped and he raised, he is never folding when you jam and you are always racing at best.

All in /> open fold /> raise fold > limp in.

*lazy ;)
  • Options
    Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
    edited October 2014
    thanks hhyftrtdr....... I dread seeing your name come up on the forum...

unsure if im going too get slated or get some sound advice. 

im happy with either or but thanks again and will take your points on board.. well try too anyway

if i call u on the dtd with the above hands don't be mad!! chances are youll win.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hey guys,

apologies for the lateness of my reply!

you def should be min raising in the mid to late stages & as hhyftrftdr already said, AJ is kind of a sigh call hand & it would really come down to game flow/dynamics to swing the decision one way or the other,

with the 44 yes i prob shove pre but def don't think there's a lot wrong with raise folding from 12 down to 10bb - the trend of late appears to lean toward really playing a short 7-10bb stack as opposed to just whacking in anything under 20.

hope that's of some, belated help
  • Options
    reelerreeler Member Posts: 416
    edited December 2014
    in one of your earlier posts u said confidence is the key how do u keep that confidence in check . what i mean is u dont wanna get over confident. cause over confidence will make u bet higher thinking yer invincible .
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    hey reeler,

good question!

tbh over-confidence is something i've never had to worry about or manage but i agree that it would be worrisome if you are prone to it,

as a starting point at least it sounds like you recognise it so just try to keep it in check & be aware that it might rear it's head from time to time
  • Options
    reelerreeler Member Posts: 416
    edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Ask Thewy - Tournament Q&A with Julian Thew:
    hey reeler, good question! tbh over-confidence is something i've never had to worry about or manage but i agree that it would be worrisome if you are prone to it, as a starting point at least it sounds like you recognise it so just try to keep it in check & be aware that it might rear it's head from time to time
    Posted by yoyo
    im always confident gets me far but sometimes gets me in trouble too lol ty for the advice m8 and by the way i have won a few mtts . so i must be going in the right direction .still a long way to go before i get called sir reeler lol
  • Options
    sapper5117sapper5117 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2014

can i rebuy when below starting stack or when on zero
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    hi sapper,
    yes, you can re-buy when below S/S under the cashier tab & when you lose your stack the option to rebuy will appear (so long as you're still in the re-buy period)
  • Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    edited January 2015
    SATTELITE PLAY NEAR BUBBLE
    Hello Julian I want to know how to play when you are near to getting a seat but are low on chips.
    Say there are 10 places and you are around 18th with 20 left and have 20bb's and 10th place has 40 bb's do I sit back and try and creep over the line or do I up the aggression to try and build my stack up.
    Thanks Chris.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    hi chris,
    it's a really delicate situation - you need to keep one eye on the lobby to see how you're sitting relative to the other players & average stack sizes are often skewed as a few players will have bigger than average stacks, so yes, you are correct that some seats will be won by below average stacks;
    what's more important is how the table is playing - recognise who is & who isn't playing proper satellite strategy as this can really change what opponets might call your shoves with.
    i've won seats sneaking through with a handful a blinds, it's pretty stressful but you just have to hang in there & never underestimate how badly some your opponets can play!

• Options
    DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    edited January 2015
    hi chris, it's a really delicate situation - you need to keep one eye on the lobby to see how you're sitting relative to the other players & average stack sizes are often skewed as a few players will have bigger than average stacks, so yes, you are correct that some seats will be won by below average stacks; what's more important is how the table is playing - recognise who is & who isn't playing proper satellite strategy as this can really change what opponets might call your shoves with. i've won seats sneaking through with a handful a blinds, it's pretty stressful but you just have to hang in there & never underestimate how badly some your opponets can play!
    Posted by yoyo
    Thank you Julian for the information and yes it is stessful.
  • Options
    rusty762rusty762 Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    dear julian, 
    MTT dynamic
    in an mtt main event tounament 33 players left, bubble burst, and in the money.
    You are sat in BB with 12 bb remaining and have KQo and the sb shoves on you.Even tho you feel you are ahead of a sb range can this ever ever be a fold ?
    From a pros point of view is this just a bog standard call, or can you actually fold ?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    hi rusty,

in part it would depend on how i percieve the SB ie, tight/loose/aggro etc - my default reaction would be it's a call but it is worth remembering that there is some playability with a 10bb stack on sky poker because there are no running antes in play, so yes, to answer your question given the right circumstances i can definitely find a fold.

hope it worked out for you!
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited March 2015
    dear julian,  MTT dynamic in an mtt main event tounament 33 players left, bubble burst, and in the money. You are sat in BB with 12 bb remaining and have KQo and the sb shoves on you.Even tho you feel you are ahead of a sb range can this ever ever be a fold ? From a pros point of view is this just a bog standard call, or can you actually fold ?
    Posted by rusty762
    I will hijack Mr Thews thread!

Why are you wanting to fold? Are you trying to ladder? Waiting for a better spot? As Julian said we can fold but I think its key to understand why we are folding.