You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The Return of 68Trebor

Comments

• 68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943
    edited May 2014

Thanks for all the replies, but I actually think I may be more confused then I was to start with.
    Have to agree with Chris, the fact we would all do things differently is what makes poker a 'never ending game' and impossible to ever fully master.
     Wife has flown away for her holiday and that leaves me the rest of the week to do as I please, not that I am under the thumb or anything like that.
     Got a long weekend off work having actually got Sat, Sun and Mon off, these occasions are very rare as anyone else who works in retail will understand.
     Plan is a bit of poker tonight, whilst having a tot or four of a new whiskey I am trying, namely Early Times Fire Eater Hot Cinnamon Whiskey. Saturday got people viewing house in afternoon and then will be going out for a few drinks, local is currently closed whilst it undergoes a 6 week refurb, really worried that when it returns the open fire, tap room, real cask ales and friendly staff will have been replaced by chrome and bottled lagers, so will be travelling further afield. Sunday taking my daughter to watch Godzilla, with a spot of dinner first and a trip to Crispy Crème after. Monday will be a day of relaxation before my return to work on Tues. That's the plan anyway.
     So its back to the poker tonight and hopefully a change in my current run.
     But unfortunately I am going to have to deposit another £30 first.

Bankroll £57.80
     Profit -£102.20
     Cash for Points 735

edited May 2014

Very quick update.

1. Early Times Fire Eater Hot Cinnamon Whiskey is possibly the nicest spirit I have ever had.

2. The downswing appears to be over (say it quietly), up £35 tonight.

3. Forget your Coconut Milk, Shiraz etc Early Times Fire Eater Hot Cinnamon Whiskey is the answer.

Bankroll £92.81
     Profit -£67.19
     Cash for Points 792
  • Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
    edited May 2014
    Have you tried tonic wine, very popular with us scots.

Hope the downswing is over for you. Nice one.
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The Return of 68Trebor:
    Have you tried tonic wine, very popular with us scots. Hope the downswing is over for you. Nice one.
    Posted by Chris_Mc
     Take it your talking "buckfast" which interestingly is brewed in Devon but loved by the Scots. Never tried it and after experimenting with Thunderbird as a 19yr old, drank 2 bottles in 45 mins and woke up in hospital, I have steered clear of those sort of drinks. Stick to ale, lager when abroad, Guiness, whiskey, vodka and the odd glass of red. You'll be advising me to try Deep fried Mars bar dipped in Irn Bru next.
  • Chris_McChris_Mc Member Posts: 1,340
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The Return of 68Trebor :  Take it your talking "buckfast" which interestingly is brewed in Devon but loved by the Scots. Never tried it and after experimenting with Thunderbird as a 19yr old, drank 2 bottles in 45 mins and woke up in hospital, I have steered clear of those sort of drinks. Stick to ale, lager when abroad, Guiness, whiskey, vodka and the odd glass of red. You'll be advising me to try Deep fried Mars bar dipped in Irn Bru next.
    Posted by 68Trebor

dont blame you, u sray clear myself now. Nothing but trouble, too much caffine I think and that plays apart aswell, now getting them in cand here lol, so T in the PArk is in for a shock this year I think.

not much of deep fried mars bar, I prefer  the pizza crunch kinda guy...yep u guessed it. A pizza covered in batter. 

• waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited May 2014
     Very quick update.  1. Early Times Fire Eater Hot Cinnamon Whiskey is possibly the nicest spirit I have ever had.  2. The downswing appears to be over (say it quietly), up £35 tonight.  3. Forget your Coconut Milk, Shiraz etc Early Times Fire Eater Hot Cinnamon Whiskey is the answer.  Bankroll £92.81  Profit -£67.19  Cash for Points 792
    Posted by 68Trebor
    Stupid question time...........If you don't like Whiskey is there any chance of liking this? Or does it taste similar?

Glad to see you put in a winning session, now how you feel as far as the cash table are concerned recently!!
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The Return of 68Trebor : Stupid question time...........If you don't like Whiskey is there any chance of liking this? Or does it taste similar? Glad to see you put in a winning session, now how you feel as far as the cash table are concerned recently!!
    Posted by waller02
     It is a mix of Cinnamon Liquer and Whiskey. Although you can taste the whiskey it is a very soft taste not the all out hard taste of whiskey. It is hard to describe as it is certainly sweeter than whiskey but does have an after kick. The biggest problem is it is very, very easy to drink and before you know it the bottle will be gone. I have never had anything like it before and certainly enjoyed it.

Been relatively happy with how I have been playing lately, certainly has helped tightening up my range and being more aware of position. Do think I was just experiencing variance but looking back made a couple of hero calls a few days ago that weren't the cleverest.

Looking forward to building the roll back up and the aim is to get back my deposits and reach the £500 mark.
    edited May 2014

So my first error was to say downswing seems over, second error was to play poker without my trusty Early Times Fire Eater Hot Cinnamon Whiskey at my side. This has resulted in another bad day in terms of money lost, basically the £35 I won yesterday. Just seems at the moment that when there is a 50/50 decision to make I am making the wrong way. Also feel like the poker gods really have it in for me at mo. Not gonna to give you a load of examples as that is quite boring. What I do believe though is that I have the game to win at 10nl and once the variance swings round I will return to profit. The key is to not become frustrated and just ride the trough out, easier said than done.
     If anyone playing currently at 10nl thinks I haven't got the game to win at this level would appreciate being told. Thinking about what I have just said, why would you tell me that, in fact you are more likely to encourage me to play if you know I am not any good. 
     Whatever, I am going to beat this level if it kills me, could be the wife who kills me if I keep having to deposit.
     Viewing this afternoon seemed to go ok, were in the house for nearly half hour which always feels like a positive. Fingers crossed now that I get the offer I need.
     Right it is pub time now so I will return tomorrow to conquer the 10nl tables.

Bankroll £57.99
     Profit -£102.01
     Cash for Points 891

• mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited May 2014
    GL Trebor...with selling the house and poker of course!
    Do you think you are playing with scared money maybe? As your BR is quite low and you're thinking about the deposits you might have to make?
    Don't know if I've posted in your diary before but I wish you all the best :)
    Ducky
    edited May 2014
    GL Trebor...with selling the house and poker of course! Do you think you are playing with scared money maybe? As your BR is quite low and you're thinking about the deposits you might have to make? Don't know if I've posted in your diary before but I wish you all the best :) Ducky
    Posted by mrsduck
     Although my bankroll says I am playing above my limit I have the necessary funds to play at this level, just don't stick it all in my account on Sky. I find if I drop down any lower I don't have the desire to win.
     Thanks for the good luck message regards the house, it will happen when it's meant to.
  • mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: The Return of 68Trebor :  Although my bankroll says I am playing above my limit I have the necessary funds to play at this level, just don't stick it all in my account on Sky. I find if I drop down any lower I don't have the desire to win.  Thanks for the good luck message regards the house, it will happen when it's meant to.
    Posted by 68Trebor
    I have the exact same problem!
    edited May 2014

So another Sunday another losing day, played MTT's all evening and did terribly ending up about £85 down.
    My plan now is to deposit another £100 and just stick to 3-tabling 10nl. I am now going to commit to playing just 10nl cash until the end of June, no MTT's, no moving up the levels JUST 10nl. This will be hard for me to achieve as I am quite easily tempted, but really need to buckle down, grind the 10nl tables, restore some confidence (although to be fair I still believe I have the game but need to be more controlled in my approach), and re-build the bankroll.

Went to see Godzilla today with my daughter and have to say I quite enjoyed it. Did make me chuckle when after about 10mins of film my daughter leaned over and whispered "Godzilla isn't real is it". Hard to believe she is at Heckmondwike Grammar School and very clever, not sure where she gets that from.

Then watched the film Jarhead tonight. I enjoy a war based film and although it's not in the calibre of Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Black Hawk Down or any of the other real classics it was a good watch. Basically follows the story of a soldier from joining the army to serving in Iraq and the end of the war.

Off to bed now and then the start of the climb back tomorrow.

Bankroll £112.49
     Profit -£187.51
     Cash for Points 967

edited May 2014

In what is fast becoming the 'biggest car crash' in the history of SkyPoker Forum Diaries I have had another disaster on the cash tables this afternoon. I am now, probably not before time, coming to the realisation that cash is not the answer. The problems I have is that MTT's do not really fit into my work/home life. With cash it is easy to sit down, play for a bit and if the occasion arises stand up from the table and do whatever is necessary. Plus I have a real desire to crack the cash game as it is 'the purest form of poker' and to master it means you have really achieved something.
     When I summarise my history of poker I have for the past 7 years been trying to master cash and despite the odd run of a few months where I thought I had cracked it I have on the whole not made money. On the other hand when you look at my MTT record, admittedly not on SkyPoker, I have done OK. In a purple patch a few years back I managed to bink two $4k+ wins within a couple of months of each other on the old Pacific Poker. Only last year I recorded on Stars 321 MTT's, a ROI of 14% and was ranked 69.000th out of 1.7million players for the whole of 2013, according to Officialpokerrankngs. I know I have a better chance of achieving something within the poker world as long as I stick to MTT's and accept the fact I am useless at cash.
     So it is with a heavy heart that I have decided to retire from the cash tables. As you all will know by now I have about as much will power as a thing that has very little will power, when it comes to poker.
     It's funny really because in everyday life people say I am extremely strong willed and very disciplined, poker must be my release. I suppose that is why we play poker, to get away from the real world and dream about impossible glories.
     So all I ask of anyone reading this. If you see 68Trebor sat at a cash table, have a word.

Bankroll £82.46
     Profit -£217.54
     Cash for Points 1041
  • CraigSG1CraigSG1 Member Posts: 1,805
    edited May 2014
    I understand your feelings and cash can certainly be frustrating but giving up is all too easy. I dont know you but I have at times felt the same about both forms. Sometimes it doesnt feel fair and you can really not understand how some of the beats happen and how things cant get going but as I said giving up is too easy.

Have a break, think about your play so far, read up and go again but an NL4. Dont think it about the money just being succesful, make that your challenge. 

From the little we played I have noticed you are far too active and far too aggresive. What I mean by this is people will notice and start calling you down lighter or wait to trap you and those that dont notice will call you regardless so trying to bet them off isnt going to work often. Being aggressive is all well and good but you have to make it controlled aggression, more believable and in better positions (i.e. last to act) and im sure results will improve.

Anyway, good luck in anything you do.
    edited May 2014
    I understand your feelings and cash can certainly be frustrating but giving up is all too easy. I dont know you but I have at times felt the same about both forms. Sometimes it doesnt feel fair and you can really not understand how some of the beats happen and how things cant get going but as I said giving up is too easy. Have a break, think about your play so far, read up and go again but an NL4. Dont think it about the money just being succesful, make that your challenge.  From the little we played I have noticed you are far too active and far too aggresive. What I mean by this is people will notice and start calling you down lighter or wait to trap you and those that dont notice will call you regardless so trying to bet them off isnt going to work often. Being aggressive is all well and good but you have to make it controlled aggression, more believable and in better positions (i.e. last to act) and im sure results will improve. Anyway, good luck in anything you do.
    Posted by CraigSG1
     Thanks for your words of wisdom. It's funny how you think I am too aggressive. I always have the feeling I am being to passive and hence try to move up a gear. That is certainly food for thought. I know what you mean about not giving up but to be fair 7 years of trying to make cash a game I can win at seems a fair effort. I think I will stick to the MTT's for a bit and see how it goes.
    edited May 2014

So started my MTT crusade. Played 2 Main event sats last night, not very successful. Played a £750 BH coming 196/240. Played £300 BH coming 11/120 will show my exit hand on next post. Played Mini 109/589. Then played a £30 Speed BH this morning bubbling the cash in 4/25. The following hand was probably the biggest decision of the tournie. Looking back I think I probably should have gone with it but at the time was chip leader and thought the long term play was to fold. Thoughts please.

68Trebor Small blind  400.00 400.00 11620.00
    Blanky Big blind  800.00 1200.00 8655.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

ROCKY__1 Fold     
    publisher Call  800.00 2000.00 9352.50
    sonnyp Fold     
    flamingo Fold     
    68Trebor Raise  2000.00 4000.00 9620.00
    Blanky All-in  8655.00 12655.00 0.00
    publisher Fold     
    68Trebor Fold     
    Blanky Muck     
    Blanky Win  5600.00  5600.00
    Blanky Return  7055.00
     As I can't seem to post more than 1 hand per post, please see the next post for my exit hand from last night.

edited May 2014

So here's the hand from the BH I came 11th in. 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    greg1974 Small blind  500.00 500.00 18080.00
    shane22 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 22399.50
      Your hole cards

anyone Fold     
    68Trebor Raise  2000.00 3500.00 19486.25
    The_Deacon Fold     
    karlluke Fold     
    greg1974 Call  1500.00 5000.00 16580.00
    shane22 Call  1000.00 6000.00 21399.50
    Flop

greg1974 Check     
    shane22 Check     
    68Trebor Bet  4500.00 10500.00 14986.25
    greg1974 Fold     
    shane22 Call  4500.00 15000.00 16899.50
    Turn

shane22 Check     
    68Trebor All-in  14986.25 29986.25 0.00
    shane22 Call  14986.25 44972.50 1913.25
    shane22 Show

68Trebor Show

River

shane22 Win Three 7s 44972.50
      Bankroll £55.93
      Profit -£244.07
      Cash for Points 1082

MTT's Played 6
      MTT Profit -£24.65
      MTT ROI -66.35%
      ITM 16.67%

• F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited May 2014
      1. On the Button with A6s, 2 limpers. Raise or call? 
    2. On the Cut-off with A6s, 2 limpers. Raise or call?  
    3. On the Button with 55, 2 limpers. Raise or call?  
    4. On the Cut-off with 55, 2 limpers. Raise or call?  
    5. On the Button with 89s, you raise 3xBB, SB 3-bets. Your play?  
    6.  On the Button with A4s, you raise 3xBB, SB 3-bets. Your play?    
    Posted by 68Trebor
    Is this cash or tournaments - and how many BB's do you have? If I was deep stacked I would raise the first 4 and call 5. 6 is tricky. Perfect hand to 4-bet bluff pre-flop but against an opponent only 3-betting for value and not folding to further action I would usually just fold. 

edited May 2014

Have been continuing playing MTT's and got a few more in last night and played a few today, day off and weather that bad what else could I do. Although not getting any great results yet I have managed to take a few bounties along the way and made another cash. I am, however, really enjoying the MTT's on SkyPoker. Never used to play them much as until I got my new laptop recently I would end up lagging terribly so played most of my MTT's on Stars. Much preferring having to only get through a field of up to 100 rather than plough through the thousands on Stars.
     In house moving news there have been some developments. Yesterday I received what can only be described as a very cheeky offer, which was dispatched to the boundary in Botham style. Then received an increased offer of £5k more. This put us nearer to where we need to be. This was also declined. At the close of play last night the gentleman had been given a figure, another £4k, that I would accept and had gone away to discuss with his wife. I am now sat here waiting for phone to ring. As discussed with Mrs Estate Agent when she contacts him if he can not get to the £4k extra she is to ascertain how near he can get. Between me and you, keep it to yourself, if he was to up his offer by £2k we will have a deal. So please all keep your fingers crossed as it is not particularly nice sitting here waiting. Really am ready to move now.

Bankroll £31.82
      Profit -£258.18
      Cash for Points 1119

MTT's Played 11
      MTT Profit -£48.76
      MTT ROI -70.98%
      ITM 18.18%

edited May 2014

Having not posted for a couple of days here's a quick update.
     Played MTT's for the last couple of nights, not playing tonight, too tired and watching footie, probs won't play tomorrow as got work all day and then either off out or having a few beers at home. Either way I will be watching the most hyped fight of the decade. Really hope it isn't a 1 round wonder, has all the possibilities of being a great fight. Reminds me of the Benn v Eubank fights.
     On the house front I think we might have missed out as Mr & Mrs Potential Buyer have not raised their second offer, although they are still interested, and are viewing another new to the market house tonight. Would love to accept their 2nd offer but just need that bit more to get us where we want to get. Plus I know what my house is worth and feel aggrieved to sell it for less than that.
     My poker hasn't improved and so I am going to contemplate what to do when I return and re-deposit, again. May return to the cash tables or may stay on the MTT's.

Bankroll £0.94
      Profit -£299.06
      Cash for Points 1176

MTT's Played 18
      MTT Profit -£91.52
      MTT ROI -76.78%
      ITM 16.67%