You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Markycash diary - It's been a while! Anyone up for Twitch?

Comments

• Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary:
    through in the east we use a scythe
    Posted by HENDRIK62

Hendo as a stand in for Ross Poldark, perish the thought. I might need a sick bucket.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,168
    edited September 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary :     Hendo as a stand in for Ross Poldark, perish the thought. I might need a sick bucket.
    Posted by pomfrittes

I think my wife may agree, when Poldark is on she ignores me even mor than usual.....
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,249
    edited September 2016

Not seen anything of you for a fortnight or more, hope all is well with you & yours Mr B.

PS - If all is well & you were thinking of coming back, don't bother. GO AWAY

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited October 2016
    Hi Tikay,

All is well(ish), just other events in life taking over as can happen from time to time.

Hope all is well with you and yours too!

Will do a little update after this post. I know nobody is sitting with baited breathe wondering what I am up to but it will give me an excuse to procrastinate for a little while :D
  • Options
    edited October 2016

^^^^

You would never believe this, Mark, but I keep a little A5 Notebook for my Daily "To Do List". It generally has 18 or 20 little things I need or want to do each day.

On yesterday's list, I wrote "drop Mark B a line to see how he is". I ran out of time though, so it got carried forward to today. And I've still not got to it, been a pretty hectic & not awfully pleasant few days here.

As you may have heard, Dave Colclough passed away yesterday, & it's knocked me back a bit. We were good mates for years, & started blonde together, then our lives went in different directions & he moved to The Philippines.

Back in the day, he was a big, big, star & I was in awe of him, so when he invited me to be his Business Partner & Content Writer I was proper made up.

We shared some tough times in Business, which tested our friendship, but on a personal level we got along great, & I loved & idolised him.

He was just 52. It's just so sad & depressing. He was not an angel, far from it, but he was a good man, & taught me a lot & helped me in so many ways.

Did you ever meet him, or know of him?   

• Options
    edited October 2016
    As mentioned above I am in the mood to procrastinate so thought it would be a nice time to bore you all with happenings in my little world.

The shenanigans of Vegas seems such a distant memory at the moment although I did manage to convince the people at American Airlines that it would be fair to give me $800 in flight discounts for my series of delays in the summer. I am going to keep these funds to the side for flights out to the WSOP next summer. It did take a bit of convincing! I recieved a rather short and abrupt reply from the generic customer care department but a quick email to the VP seemed to bare rather more fruitful results :)

It has been frustrating finding the time to play poker lately! Uni is well and truely kicked back in and I have 5 major assessments and an exam in the next 6 or 7 weeks. On top of that I have been helping my daughter find a flat and will be helping her move next week. Then there has been commitments from a cleaning business I dabble in and another small sideline selling DVDs online. All the usual type of distractions people have to deal with and 2 dogs and 2 cats on top for good measure!

There have been some additional distractions to do with a neighbour though involving being called to court as a witness once already and an additional upcoming case to go to and some other unpleasant stuff to deal with also. 

Have been watching the WSOP main event episodes from ESPN on Youtube and really enjoying them! Has me itching to play again. I do know though how stressful it can be playing full time worrying about bills and bankroll etc so am happy to stick with my plan to study for 5 years (18 months to go) and then try and smash it up with a much more solid footing behind me. Even at the end of the conventional study period I hope to spend about 12 months very seriously studying poker.

On the WSOP note I think Will Kassouf's behaviour raises a lot of interesting questions! Should clocks be brought into live play for everyone? Just how much table chat is acceptable (especially when you have acted and an opponent is trying to ponder their decision)? I was surprised at how well many of his opponents handled him (with a few exceptions). He seems a total %^&* but a divisive character who probably makes the game more entertaining to the average onlooker. Jack Effel did seem quite adept at dealing with him! I guess that is why he is the big cheese.

Really hope that Bax does the business in the 'November 9'. He is a decent bloke and would make a great ambassador for poker as a Main Event winner. I also learned so much when I started out in poker from his PXF videos!

I noticed a Twitter update about the upcoming UKOPS tourneys. Even with the lack of time I am tempted! I may (time allowing) have to throw a few £'s online and see if I can cream a couple of days buy ins from the DYM's and give it a shot. Time will tell!

Anyways I hope you are all doing well on and off the tables and if not at least having some fun :)

Thanks for reading to anyone who wasted 5 minutes of their life reading my musings and maybe see you on the tables soon!

Also RIP to David Colclough! I didn't know him personally in any way but he always seemed a decent chap on TV and it is sad to lose someone from the poker community!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    ^^^^ You would never believe this, Mark, but I keep a little A5 Notebook for my Daily "To Do List". It generally has 18 or 20 little things I need or want to do each day.   On yesterday's list, I wrote "drop Mark B a line to see how he is". I ran out of time though, so it got carried forward to today. And I've still not got to it, been a pretty hectic & not awfully pleasant few days here.   As you may have heard, Dave Colclough passed away yesterday, & it's knocked me back a bit. We were good mates for years, & started blonde together, then our lives went in different directions & he moved to The Philippines.   Back in the day, he was a big, big, star & I was in awe of him, so when he invited me to be his Business Partner & Content Writer I was proper made up.   We shared some tough times in Business, which tested our friendship, but on a personal level we got along great, & I loved & idolised him.   He was just 52. It's just so sad & depressing. He was not an angel, far from it, but he was a good man, & taught me a lot & helped me in so many ways. Did you ever meet him, or know of him?     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just saw this was to busy spewing a lot of nonsense on the blog update. Coincidence I mentioned him at the bottom!

I wasn't sure if he was something to do with the Blonde forum as I am a total newb there. I never crossed paths with him but did know of him and he did seem a decent bloke. Condolences to you Tikay! Such a yound age :(
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    edited October 2016
    I thought it was really interesting with the Will Kassouf stuff.
    The tanking was really annoying and this was with editing as well. He was entertaining at times too though and that's far more fun to watch than the sunglassses and hoodie guys pkaying perfectly.

I'm still not sure if he did anything so bad that he deserved an orbit penalty. I know Effel is much respected but I do wonder if Helmuthor Matasow would get the same punishment.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited October 2016
    Good to see you back on the forum at least. As tikay says you are welcome to stay away from the PLO8 tables.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this if you have a spare moment? Although you don't seem to have many of those at the moment.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Well it has been a while so thought I would do a little update.

My frequency of visits to the tables has been about the same as Tikay's cold 4 bet rate ;-) so I guess this will be mostly real life ramblings. I guess 'diary' was an apt choice for a title.

Studying has really taken over in the last few months although is now drawing to a close for the festive period, thankfully. One exam to get out the way on Thursday and then I might actually get the time to play a little poker! Has been a real struggle to get motivated this trimester and if I had a half decent reason I would leave uni. It's been 3 and a half years now and continually jumping through academic hoops has become very tedious. My marks are good which is why I feel so oblidged to 'just get on with it'.

This week has been particularly testing. Firstly we had to do a group presentation on 'Personality' which was video recorded and involved a Doctor and a Professor grilling us for 20 minutes on the research we had done, trying to trip us up. I may not have helped myself any when the professor asked me a question and I eagerly offered a very thorough answer... Firstly, upon reflection, the answer was a load of waffle. Secondly I don't think it was recieved too well, judging by his response, which was... 'I haven't finished asking the question yet!'. I guess I will find out when the marks are released on Monday just how much I managed to p!ss him off.

The week was also filled with the terribly exciting task of making a 18 minute video with statistical analysis of 3 psychology data sets. I hit levels of boredom worse than listening to a shipping forecast when I had the joy of watching it back. Actually doing the analysis and putting the video together allowed me to chart new depths of tedium and boredom which I was thoroughly unaware even existed. If anyone has trouble sleeping, I have just the remedy (yes, I mean apart from reading this diary).

I have also been feeling particularly old this month. Firstly tearing my calf muscle 2 weeks ago while playing football which I hear is more likely the older we get... Then just to make sure I got the message, one of my dad's neighbours asked if I was his brother! I mean come on that is below the belt...

I had also planned to move house over the last couple of months due to issues with 'the neighbours'. Things have been slightly quieter lately though and they have refrained from fighting with one another for the time being. Have to go to court as a witness against their daughter in January so the situation remains 'fluid'. I want to move home anyway but with around 16 months of studying left to do, now just isn't the ideal time if it can be at all avoided.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, poker...

I actually got to play a mini session tonight on the OH8 DYM tables and wind up a little in profit! I may well put the £11 proceeds towards the new home :)

I did enjoy playing and it was great to see the regulars on here again. I would play on here an awful lot more if real life would just stop getting in the way! All in good time I guess and I will hopefully get to play more over the holidays. Not setting any targets over the festive period other than having a little fun at the tables. Will set a few grander targets come the spring when the WSOP qualifiers start to surface.

Thanks for reading, hope you are all doing well on the tables and that you all have an enjoyable holiday period.
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited December 2016
    You are currently undertaking a very apt degree regarding your neighbours Marky.Time to flee.glgl.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,472
    edited December 2016
    On the calf muscle, i did mine 2 yrs ago, football, it took 16 months to heal.
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited December 2016
    Posted by mumsie
    Good Lord, thats nearly two pregnancies.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Posted by mumsie
    @mumsie Oh jeez! That must have been on the severe end of the 'calf tear spectrum'.

I think mine is somewhere in the middle, I couldn't walk at all for a day and a half, the limp lasted 2 weeks. I think it will take 3-4 months for mine to heal, if I try to break walking pace I can feel it ready to go again and there is still quite a bit of swelling.

@Chilling, regarding the neighbours, sadly you are probably correct!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Well it has been a while so thought I would do a little update. My frequency of visits to the tables has been about the same as Tikay's cold 4 bet rate ;-) so I guess this will be mostly real life ramblings. I guess 'diary' was an apt choice for a title. Studying has really taken over in the last few months although is now drawing to a close for the festive period, thankfully. One exam to get out the way on Thursday and then I might actually get the time to play a little poker! Has been a real struggle to get motivated this trimester and if I had a half decent reason I would leave uni. It's been 3 and a half years now and continually jumping through academic hoops has become very tedious. My marks are good which is why I feel so oblidged to 'just get on with it'. This week has been particularly testing. Firstly we had to do a group presentation on 'Personality' which was video recorded and involved a Doctor and a Professor grilling us for 20 minutes on the research we had done, trying to trip us up. I may not have helped myself any when the professor asked me a question and I eagerly offered a very thorough answer... Firstly, upon reflection, the answer was a load of waffle. Secondly I don't think it was recieved too well, judging by his response, which was... 'I haven't finished asking the question yet!'. I guess I will find out when the marks are released on Monday just how much I managed to p!ss him off. The week was also filled with the terribly exciting task of making a 18 minute video with statistical analysis of 3 psychology data sets. I hit levels of boredom worse than listening to a shipping forecast when I had the joy of watching it back. Actually doing the analysis and putting the video together allowed me to chart new depths of tedium and boredom which I was thoroughly unaware even existed. If anyone has trouble sleeping, I have just the remedy (yes, I mean apart from reading this diary). I have also been feeling particularly old this month. Firstly tearing my calf muscle 2 weeks ago while playing football which I hear is more likely the older we get... Then just to make sure I got the message, one of my dad's neighbours asked if I was his brother! I mean come on that is below the belt... I had also planned to move house over the last couple of months due to issues with 'the neighbours'. Things have been slightly quieter lately though and they have refrained from fighting with one another for the time being. Have to go to court as a witness against their daughter in January so the situation remains 'fluid'. I want to move home anyway but with around 16 months of studying left to do, now just isn't the ideal time if it can be at all avoided. Oh yeah, that reminds me, poker... I actually got to play a mini session tonight on the OH8 DYM tables and wind up a little in profit! I may well put the £11 proceeds towards the new home :) I did enjoy playing and it was great to see the regulars on here again. I would play on here an awful lot more if real life would just stop getting in the way! All in good time I guess and I will hopefully get to play more over the holidays. Not setting any targets over the festive period other than having a little fun at the tables. Will set a few grander targets come the spring when the WSOP qualifiers start to surface. Thanks for reading, hope you are all doing well on the tables and that you all have an enjoyable holiday period.
    Posted by markycash
    I'm not having this.

1) I have cold 4 bet twice already this year, & it's only December.

2) What's boring about the Shipping Forecast? I've even got a book about it. Never miss the 0048 transmission, it's the best thing on the wireless at that time of night.

Here's the book - go buy it, you won't regret it. Fascinating stuff. 

• Options
    edited December 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary : I'm not having this. 1) I have cold 4 bet twice already this year, & it's only December. 2) What's boring about the Shipping Forecast? I've even got a book about it. Never miss the 0048 transmission, it's the best thing on the wireless at that time of night. Here's the book - go buy it, you won't regret it. Fascinating stuff.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Considering topics such as this float your boat, your interest in shipping forecasts doesn't entirely surprise me...

I will be sure to add the book suggestion to my 'to do' list, at least a few places above shoving cocktail sticks in my eyes :-D
  • Options
    edited December 2016

^^^^

Excellent link.

Was good to see you for a few games on Saturday, livened up the action a treat.

Was happy to sit & watch whilst you & lumkming09 locked horns, lol. I do like him on my table actually, especially if I have position. "Play for stacks" seems to be the rule.

blankcheck, who has been AWOL from the scene for several years, is very good too. For the first week or two after he returned, I struggled with him a bit, but as you have often said in the past, we have to adjust to certain players, & once I did that, I'm ok with him now. Not saying I am a better player, not at all, but I know how to play him now.   

• Options
    edited December 2016

Can't believe I am being lectured on "boring" by a Scot.

How's your Dad these days?

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Yeah it was fun to play a few! Counting down the minutes until my studying stops on Thursday so I can play a little more :)

It had been a while since we last played so it will be fun trying to work out what shenanigans you are trying to pull on my BB's over the festive period.

My dad is doing okay cheers, he is still playing every night with the micro mixed game crew on stars, $2 rebuy HORSE MTT's and such. Certainly get a few interesting 'players' in those games.

Hope things have been trundling along nicely for you in the last few months both on and off the tables :)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Okay 50 days since an update, hopefully I can get away with posting some more drivel :)

I know many people couldn't give a flying ... what I may or may not be up to but I don't mind keeping a little record of my own musings, even if just to organise my thoughts a little if nothing else.

Non poker related:

Well I have made some personally monumental decisions today that I have been wrestling with for about 12-18 months. As mentioned I went a few years ago as mature student who had been out of education for 20+ years and done an HNC. I didn't know what to expect and whether I would stay more than a week and had little expectations or pressure going in. It went well though, extremely well, I absolutely loved it and my work got some very high praise from lecturers, and SQA assessors and I managed to donk my way to a student of the year award and a little cash prize.

That was all great but there was now expectations and pressure attached regarding what I would do in relation to education... So I signed up for a psychology BA at uni. The first year was a breeze and relatively enjoyable although not as much fun as college (mainly due to larger classes and less time for small group discussion). There also seemed to be a degree of snobbery which if you knew me IRL you would realise just doesn't sit well with me. I like to take people as I find them and treat everyone with respect until they show me I should be doing otherwise. To have certain groups within uni feeling they can talk down to you because you are a piddly little first year and therefore must know close to zilch was rather infuriating to put it mildly.

I know things can be like that though and 'you just have to get on with it', so I did. My grades were on pace for 1st class honours and apart from any snobbery all was well. Then, as 2nd year started, and as I have mentioned before, my mother, gran and grandfather all died within the space of months. Somehow jumping through academic hoops now seemed trivial. I did still however go through the motions and saw 2nd year out, still maintaining my high grades. By the time the current 3rd year started, any novelty and enjoyment out of studying had long gone! I am bored with the studying and not enjoying the experience anymore but with my marks still high it seemed like such a waste to leave...

I have decided today however to find a happy medium and rather than do the full 4 years to gain the honours classification, I am just going to see 3rd year out and get the basic degree completed (which ends in April). So I will get the BA degree but not the honours classification. I am fine with this and it works for where I want to go from here in real life. I am now faced with the realisation that 4 years of studying will be done in just a couple of months!

To say it is a weight off wouldn't even come close to explaining the relief!

Poker related:

Really enjoying playing a bit more these days! Still do not have the time to play anywhere near the volume I would want but managing to squeeze some games in :) Am also really enjoying the new PLO8 BH's although I haven't done as well as would be ideal the last couple of nights. A big thanks to Sky, and to James and Tikay in particular for supporting the idea!

One hand that really bothered me from the 1st night of the £11 PLO8 BH where I got heads up was the following...

I had KK97 in the BB. Blinds were high and stacks relatively shallow. My opponent limps in the SB (he had been raising most decent or 2 way hands). I miniraised and he flat called and we saw a rainbow flop of AQQ. He checks to me and I minibet again and once more he flat calls me. Now my read here is that he doesn't have an ace as I think he raises preflop HU with this, I also do not think probabilistically that he has a Q as there are only 2 in the deck and he 'may' have reraised the flop with the Q. He could have a Q but I think it is odds against and assume he is simply floating to pressure me on the turn/river. I therefore bet again on the turn and he shoves all in, this is for the game as I have him covered but I elect not to go with my gut as I am only beating a bluff and I fold. He shows the bluff with total air which I had him on all along.

Well played to my opponent though, sincerely! He went on and won the HU from there.

Thoughts now turning towards WSOP and if I will be able to play any events this year and if so how many. Hoping to get any early start on any qualifiers running online and see what I can do and also looking forward to the leagues starting for the new PLO8 BH's!

Anyways I will stop rambling about my trivial 1st world problems now, sorry for the book but if you have read through my posts you will know I have severe issues with being succinct :D

Hope you are all running well in life and on the tables and thanks for reading!