You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Another one bites the dust.

Comments

• rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    Glenelg said:

@rabdeniro wow We may have rubbed shoulders in the 80/90's

I worked across the road from it, went in it every dinner break with the sawmill and shipyard boys.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,511
    Snooker has lost another player. From a different era, but still had great respect from within the game. RiP Doug Mountjoy (8 June 42 - 14 Feb 21)

1977 Masters Winner & 1985 R/Up
    1978 UK Champs Winner
    1979 Irish Masters Winner
    1981 World Champs Finalist
    1988 UK Champs Winner (Aged 46)

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,663

Very sad, he was a giant of the game in his day.

I had access to the Green Room at a UK Championship when it was held at Guildhall Preston, as I was mates with Mike Watterson. All the players were there - Steve Davis, Cliff Thorburn, John Virgo, Willie Thorne etc. But Doug Mountjoy strolled in, wearing a cream coloured trench coat with the collar turned up. I thought he was the coolest guy ever ever.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,742
    Ian St John: Former Liverpool and Scotland striker dies aged 82

Liverpool legend and former Scotland striker Ian St John, who partnered Jimmy Greaves on much-loved Saturday football show Saint and Greavsie, has died at the age of 82

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2021/03/02/4430093948601516252/636x382_MP4_4430093948601516252.mp4

Former Liverpool and Scotland striker Ian St John has died at the age of 82. The Scottish forward won two First Division titles under Bill Shankly at Anfield in 1963-64 and 1965-66 and scored the winner in the 1965 FA Cup final. He also represented Scotland 26 times and would later go on to manage boyhood club Motherwell, as well as Portsmouth. Following his retirement from management, St John moved into punditry and forged a hugely successful on-screen partnership with England legend Jimmy Greaves. Their 'Saint and Greavsie' Saturday programme was hugely popular in the 1980s and 1990s.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9315815/Liverpool-legend-former-Scotland-striker-Ian-St-John-dies-82.html
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,972
    HAYSIE said:

Liverpool legend and former Scotland striker Ian St John, who partnered Jimmy Greaves on much-loved Saturday football show Saint and Greavsie, has died at the age of 82

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2021/03/02/4430093948601516252/636x382_MP4_4430093948601516252.mp4

Former Liverpool and Scotland striker Ian St John has died at the age of 82. The Scottish forward won two First Division titles under Bill Shankly at Anfield in 1963-64 and 1965-66 and scored the winner in the 1965 FA Cup final. He also represented Scotland 26 times and would later go on to manage boyhood club Motherwell, as well as Portsmouth. Following his retirement from management, St John moved into punditry and forged a hugely successful on-screen partnership with England legend Jimmy Greaves. Their 'Saint and Greavsie' Saturday programme was hugely popular in the 1980s and 1990s.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9315815/Liverpool-legend-former-Scotland-striker-Ian-St-John-dies-82.html

I'm (just) too young to remember him as a footballer. But Saint & Greavsie was a delight. Think Football Focus meets Soccer AM. With a hint of Ant & Dec.

Often copied. Never bettered. Lines like (on the day of the Boat Race):-

"I've never liked rowing."
    "Too true. How can you like a sport where they think it's funny to dip their cox in the water..."

2 talented men. Whose luck did not extend to good health.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,511
    Back in my 'youth', I remember going on a day trip to London for the first time on a Intercity 125. On the return journey, it only stopped at S-O-T & Manchester. You had to walk through 1st class to get to the Bar/Snack area. That is where me and my mate spotted Ian St John sitting. As fans of his show, we were both nervous asking for his autograph. However, after about the 4th 'trip' past him, he actually asked us to sit with him. He then engaged in conversations and stories with us for the rest of the journey. Really down to earth. He then not only gave us his autograph on our destination arrival, but also one of his silver Parker pens. Top bloke.

RIP Ian
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,017
    Met Ian years ago in the late 70's at a sports exhibition (got his autograph).
    Top bloke
    edited March 2021
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,117
    As a very young kid I went to Liverpool to watch Stoke and my Dad pointed out a poster outside a church which said.

"What would you do if Jesus came to Liverpool?"

Underneath some Scally had written.

"Move St. John to inside left"

My first encounter with Scouse humour and the respect with which he was held by the fans.
    Reggae star Bunny Wailer dies at 73: Bob Marley's former bandmate and founding member of the Wailers passes away after he suffered second stroke last year

Bunny Wailer, a reggae luminary who was the last surviving member of the legendary group The Wailers, died on Tuesday in his native Jamaica, according to his manager. He was 73.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9317581/Reggae-star-Bunny-Wailer-dies-73-Founding-member-Wailers-passes-away.html
  • GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    ^^ the man of soo many quotes \colemanballs...
    The ones i rem are ..
    "This woulda been Senna\Prost's third win in a row, if he had won the las two....( Obvs cant rem driver)
    "The car in the lead is unique...ex cept for the car behind .. "
    Loved his commentary....just realised..not watched much F1 since....
    R.I.P Murray...
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,117
    Marvin Hagler dead at 66.

Guy was a true warrior.

Marvin Hagler dead at 66.

Guy was a true warrior.

• MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,156
    Sad to hear Chester Barnes died of a heart attack last night :/

ex-Table Tennis World Champion ......and latterly Assistant Trainer to the GREAT Martin Pipe

Can you put a piccy up please Tony's @Tikay10 @HAYSIE
    MISTY4ME said:

ex-Table Tennis World Champion ......and latterly Assistant Trainer to the GREAT Martin Pipe

@MISTY4ME

You, HAYSIE & me are all old enough to remember him from his Table Tennis days;

MISTY4ME said:

David Pipe
    @DavidPipeRacing
    ·
    4h
    Extremely saddened by the passing of Chester Barnes. A wonderful character, he was never short of a laugh or a joke. We enjoyed so many memorable times and he will be missed by everyone at Pond house. Our love and thoughts are with his family.